2021-22 Russian Women's Figure Skating | Page 414 | Golden Skate

2021-22 Russian Women's Figure Skating

katymay

Medalist
Quad battle at the Moscow show:

Maya looks so strong on the quad now! The tragedy is her age group will be sort of the 'lost generation' of figure skaters who will not get any international exposure. Anna, Sasha and Aliona (3A) ought to be very grateful that they got the opportunity to shine, because those right behind them (in age and ranking) will not. Sofia M., Sofia S., Maya K, Daria etc. -honestly I feel so bad for them. Yes, maybe they will hang on, but I think the odds are against it.

Rudel-chw

On the Ice
Country
Chile
Interesting back stage POV captured by a vlogger, in high quality. Lots of up close shots of skaters and even interviewed a few!

Thanks a lot, really interesting ... a glimpse onto the backstage ... sad that Liza Tuktik appeared just a few seconds :(

NaVi

Medalist
I saw a clip of Anastasia Zinina speaking elementary German(in another clip I think she said she has a German exam).

No joke, it may not be a bad idea for some of the young skaters to learn a foreign language as a backup option if this situation lasts a few years. Any time out from international competitions is going to create an opportunity logjam.

I want to note that Spain didn't even send a women's skater to Europeans let alone Junior or Senior Worlds this year.

Amei

Record Breaker
I saw a clip of Anastasia Zinina speaking elementary German(in another clip I think she said she has a German exam).

No joke, it may not be a bad idea for some of the young skaters to learn a foreign language as a backup option if this situation lasts a few years. Any time out from international competitions is going to create an opportunity logjam.

I want to note that Spain didn't even send a women's skater to Europeans let alone Junior or Senior Worlds this year.

I think that's commonplace for Russians to learn a second language in school

Amei

Record Breaker
A "backstage" edit of the Moscow stage of the COI show:

Full show should be aired at 1TV on 24th april.

Have a time or are we all just going to be watching Russian TV shows all day on the 1TV livestream again?

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic

JazzUp

#янехомяк!
Medalist
I think that's commonplace for Russians to learn a second language in school
it's actually compulsory there; and from 2010 till 2021 two foreign languages were taught on the same basis (now 2nd is elective, up to kids/parents to decide, but majority has stuck with 2); there're a lot of schools with 3 fl's (they start teaching 1st in 2nd grade, 2nd - in 5th, 3rd - in 8th)

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
Season's Best List - final list of the season

1. Kamila Valieva - Rus - 272.71 GP Rostelecom Cup (new World record!!)
2. Anna Shcherbakova - Rus - 255.95 Olympic Games
3. Alexandra Trusova - Rus - 251.73 Olympic Games
4. Kaori Sakamoto - Jpn - 236.09 World Championchips
5. Elizaveta Tuktamysheva - Rus - 233.30 CS Finlandia Trophy
6. Sofia Akateva (J) - Rus - 233.08 JGP Krasnoyarsk (Junior World record)
7. Maiia Khromykh - Rus - 226.35 GP Gran Premio d'Italia
8. Alëna Kostornaia - Rus - 221.85 GP Internationaux de France
9. Alysa Liu - USA - 219.24 CS Lombardia Trophy
10. Loena Hendrickx - Bel - 219.05 GP Gran Premio d'Italia
11. Mai Mihara - Jpn - 218.03 Four Continents Championships
12. Daria Usacheva - Rus - 217.31 GP Skate America
13. Young You - Kor - 216.97 GP Skate America
14. Veronika Zhilina (J) - Rus - 216.92 JGP Kosice
15. Wakaba Higuchi - Jpn - 214.44 Olympic Games
16. Haein Lee - Kor - 213.52 Four Continents Championships
17. Sofia Muravieva - Rus - 211.81 JGP Linz
18. Adelia Petrosian - Rus - 210.57 JGP Ljubljana
19. Mariah Bell - USA - 210.35 GP Rostelecom Cup
20. Yelim Kim - Kor - 209.91 Four Continents Championships
21. Satoko Miyahara - Jpn - 209.57 GP Gran Premio d'Italia
22. Isabeau Levito - USA - 208.31 JGP Linz
23. Anastasia Zinina - Rus - 206.20 JGP Krasnoyarsk
24. Jia Shin (J) - Kor - 206.01 Junior World Championchips
----------------------------------------------------------------
25. Kseniia Sinitsyna - Rus - 205.76 GP Skate America
26. Sofia Samodelkina - Rus - 205.67 JGP Ljubljana
36. Elizaveta Kulikova (J) - Rus - 196.83 JGP Krasnoyarsk
38. Elizaveta Berestovskaya (J) - Rus - 196.07 JGP Krasnoyarsk
43. Maria Zakharova (J) - Rus - 190.33 JGP Kosice
55. Sofia Samodurova - Rus - 180.59 GP Gran Premio d'Italia

Top 24 are guaranteed a spot at next year's senior GPs, except for (J).

So it looks like Valieva, Shcherbakova, Trusova, Tuktamysheva, Khromykh, Kostornaia, Usacheva, Muravieva, Petrosian will grab all the GP spots next season. Zinina will probably be snubbed although she is guaranteed one spot. And because of Higuchi at Olympics and Shin at Junior Worlds, Sinitsyna and Samodelkina falls outside the top 24.

But who knows what will happen next season. There might be some retirements among the nine qualifiers, then Zinina is up. Personally I would give Samodelkina a GP spot over Zinina but that's just me.
And also, there is bound to be some rule changes. The senior age thing might be one of them. From the rumours I've seen, it looks like Muravieva/Petrosian/Samodelkina will be safe to go into seniors next year, and Akateva/Zhilina will be held back in juniors for 2 more years. But we don't know for certain and anything can happen.

And with all that is going on, who knows if there is any Russian women in the GPs at all next season.

Last edited: