2021-22 U.S. Pairs Figure Skating | Page 19 | Golden Skate

2021-22 U.S. Pairs Figure Skating

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Mystery solved—what turned out to be a false positive on a drug test at Nationals. I’m sure this was stressful, but fortunately it was not anything that could impact them going forward.

It has impacted them, unfortunately. It meant that they had to pull out of Worlds 2021 after their momentum had already been stopped due to the pandemic and Worlds 2020 not taking place. So they are at a disadvantage of not having had the opportunity to skate at the big major in front of international judges for two straight years.

But growth and new opportunities can arise out of adversity. I wish Jessica & Brian well. I will be rooting for them.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Considering the ongoing horrors plaguing U.S. American pairs skating
What horrors are you speaking of exactly? * The U.S. pairs discipline has a strong legacy, current exciting depth, and a bright present and future, regardless of critics, naysayers and the knee-jerk refusal by some international judges to reward our pairs teams for their talents and strengths. Fortunately, the lowballing Ash/Timothy received in the sp at Finlandia was slightly course-corrected during fp judging. *ETA: What happened to Jessica could happen to any athlete in any country.

Although the ban against Jessica wasn't helpful, I doubt Jess & Brian would use that unfair situation as an excuse for having problems with their sbs jumps. Their jumps were an issue that needed solving long before the false drug test and resultant challenges for Jessica to be reinstated.

Absolutely, it is horrendous for any athlete to have to go through being unfairly accused of a drug violation. There should be remunerative redress in such instances!

Last edited:

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Meanwhile, I notice that Ian Meyh is now paired with Ellie Kam, and he's returned to juniors to do so. I'm glad to find out that Meyh found a new partner. It was on my mind to ask about him the other day. And, voila!

As we know, Meyh was briefly paired with Chelsea Liu, before she was recruited to represent Chinese fed in pairs (which didn't last). Chelsea/Ian competed very promisingly at 2019 U.S. nationals, but split shortly afterward when China beckoned for Chelsea.

Later, Meyh was set-up with Nica Digerness who was rehabbing an injury. I believe Nica/Ian trained briefly in Colorado under Sappenfield, but they never competed. I guess Ian decided to call it quits with Nica, who later found a new partner in Mark Sadusky, who split with, or had been separated from Brynne McIsaac. Of course, Brynne was paired for a hot minute with T.J. Nyman, prior to being dropped for Nyman to pursue another opportunity. This is all unfortunate, since Brynne and Mark looked good together. Actually, so did Brynne and T.J. But neither partnership panned out, which is so sad for Brynne, as I don't see that she's yet found another partner. She's the odd one out. :(

Reportedly, Nica and Mark are now paired. I wonder who they are being coached by post-Sappenfield, or whether they are still partnered? If they are, maybe they will be competing in the senior pairs event in Henderson, Nevada, tomorrow.

Happily, I see that Winter Deardorff has found a new partner in Jake Pagano. Here are the protocols for an earlier junior pairs event in Colorado, in September. Apparently, only Deardorff/Pagano and Kam/Meyh competed, and their scores were very close:

Last edited:

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The U.S. pairs discipline has a strong legacy, current exciting depth, and a bright present and future, regardless of critics, naysayers and the knee-jerk refusal by some international judges to reward our pairs teams for their talents and strengths. Fortunately, the lowballing Ash/Timothy received in the sp at Finlandia was slightly course-corrected during fp judging.
As @coldblueeyes hinted in an earlier post, the American judge actually held Ashley and Timothy down the worst in the SP :mad:

But I'm really happy to see, as you said, that the judging panel as a whole course-corrected slightly for the free skate. I really think if Ash/Tim continue to put out clean skates, the judges will have more confidence in them and we'll see an uptick.

It just goes to show that when Ashley and Timothy skate well at International events, they'll be rewarded, although they're seldom given the benefit of the doubt; they have to earn it.

However, I've noticed over the years that the International judges as a rule have kept rewarding Ash/Timothy in the PC areas. As well they should be rewarded for their beautiful pairs qualities. ❤️ The fact their strengths aren't the "typical" pairs qualities that judges like to reward, just makes it better IMO. C-G/L show different qualities of excellence, which enhances this discipline of the sport.

On a historical note, John Nicks has said that he purposely highlighted Tai & Randy's qualities that would make them different from the top skaters at the time. So C-G/L are in good company. :)

Lutzedge

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I am not sure how old Blake Eisenach is, but Megan Wessenberg is 23. How were they able to compete in Juniors.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am not sure how old Blake Eisenach is, but Megan Wessenberg is 23. How were they able to compete in Juniors.

I saw this answer on another fs forum:
There are age eligibility requirements for internationally competing as a junior, but not for domestic competitions. It's somewhat common for newer pairs to be over the age of junior eligibility. It's more about skill level.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Meanwhile, I notice that Ian Meyh is now paired with Ellie Kam, and he's returned to juniors to do so. I'm glad to find out that Meyh found a new partner. It was on my mind to ask about him the other day. And, voila!

As we know, Meyh was briefly paired with Chelsea Liu, before she was recruited to represent Chinese fed in pairs (which didn't last). Chelsea/Ian competed very promisingly at 2019 U.S. nationals, but split shortly afterward when China beckoned for Chelsea.

Later, Meyh was set-up with Nica Digerness who was rehabbing an injury. I believe Nica/Ian trained briefly in Colorado under Sappenfield, but they never competed. I guess Ian decided to call it quits with Nica, who later found a new partner in Mark Sadusky, who split with, or had been separated from Brynne McIsaac. Of course, Brynne was paired for a hot minute with T.J. Nyman, prior to being dropped for Nyman to pursue another opportunity. This is all unfortunate, since Brynne and Mark looked good together. Actually, so did Brynne and T.J. But neither partnership panned out, which is so sad for Brynne, as I don't see that she's yet found another partner. She's the odd one out. :(

Reportedly, Nica and Mark are now paired. I wonder who they are being coached by post-Sappenfield, or whether they are still partnered? If they are, maybe they will be competing in the senior pairs event in Henderson, Nevada, tomorrow.

Happily, I see that Winter Deardorff has found a new partner in Jake Pagano. Here are the protocols for an earlier junior pairs event in Colorado, in September. Apparently, only Deardorff/Pagano and Kam/Meyh competed, and their scores were very close:
How confusing. But YAY for Winter - she’s had such awful luck in the partner area.

Lutzedge

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I saw this answer on another fs forum:
There are age eligibility requirements for internationally competing as a junior, but not for domestic competitions. It's somewhat common for newer pairs to be over the age of junior eligibility. It's more about skill level.
That is what I thought. Thanks!

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I suppose "horrors" was an overstatement considering American pairs have won numerous World and Olympic individual medals in recent seasons. I humbly apologize for my poor choice of words.
LOL, so in your view it's some kind of 'horror' situation because the U.S. pairs discipline doesn't have teams who have won World and Olympic medals in recent seasons, eh. If that's your view, you've got a heck of a lot to learn about figure skating, and about the history of pairs skating generally.

You might want to start by recognizing and appreciating the fact that U.S. pairs have contributed a lot to the growth of pairs over the years, and yes, even in recent seasons, since they have taken part on the field of battle in the tough competitive arena. U.S. pairs athletes have set records over the years and achieved great personal victories. In the end, it's the taking part and striving valiantly that matters:

The credit belongs to the [athletes] who are actually in the arena, whose faces are marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strive valiantly; who err, who come short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who [do] actually strive to do the deeds; who know great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spend [themselves] in a worthy cause; who at the best know in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if [they] fail, at least [they] fail while daring greatly, so that [their] place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.

From Teddy Roosevelt's Man in the Arena speech. Take note, gnarly sideline observers, with your unkind disrespect and misunderstanding.

As well, for those interested in the development of pairs and the expansion of women's participation in the early years of figure skating, check out Figure Skating in the Formative Years, by James R. Hines:
https://www.press.uillinois.edu/books/?id=c039065

Last edited:

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I was surprised to see Blake & Megan competing in Juniors, but it makes sense if they can do so domestically based on Megan's skill level as a singles skater new to pairs. Perhaps they will take this season to build as new partners and to get Megan up to speed with increased difficulty. Then maybe they'll move up to seniors next season if all goes well. They look good together.

In senior pairs, it was nice to see Kate Finster/ Matej Silecky also looking good together (2nd place in the sp). Matej has cut his hair and slightly dyed it a lighter shade on top, and they both seem like they've been training hard together. I'm glad to see that Kate is wearing a differently designed skating dress than the one she wore at L.A. Open. This one has a more flattering asymmetrical hem and a bodice design that works better. It's a somewhat similar style to the outfit she wore at a 2019 JGP competition (see below), only with a slightly longer skirt that has more defined asymmetry. I like Kate's long hairstyle too in the sp at Henderson. Good luck to Kate and Matej!

Kate in 2019 with B. Nagy:

SP senior pairs results at Henderson:

Additional pairs teams will be competing in Norwood, Mass., November 9 - 13. I suppose we'll see Chan/Howe and some other teams who did not compete in Henderson, who need to qualify for U.S. Nationals. I'm not sure how the qualifying works this season.

Last edited:

yuki@thelake

On the Ice
Chris Knierim's intermediate team withdrew in Henderson as the girl fell on a throw and cut her chin requiring stitches. It was gnarly. Too bad as they were the top scorer in that level coming into the competition. Shows how dangerous pairs skating can be.

Peterson/Evora's intermediate team won with big margins

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Additional pairs teams will be competing in Norwood, Mass., November 9 - 13. I suppose we'll see Chan/Howe and some other teams who did not compete in Henderson, who need to qualify for U.S. Nationals. I'm not sure how the qualifying works this season.

I found a document that describes how qualifying for U.S. Nationals is going to be determined for 2022. Unfortunately, they are cutting off number of pairs teams at 12. Number of ice dance teams are cut off at 15. Number of singles spots for both men and women are 18 for each discipline.

There were only 9 pairs teams who competed at 2021 U.S. Nationals. The top five have a bye to 2022 U.S. Nationals, and two of the teams are no longer together (Serafini/Tran and Lockley/Prochnow).

The teams with a bye:
Knierim/Frazier
Calalang/Johnson
Cain-Gribble/LeDuc
Lu/Mitrofanov
Chan/Howe

2021 U.S. Nationals pairs results:

Qualifying criteria for 2022 U.S. Nationals:

McBeath/Bartholomay placed first in pairs at Henderson, NV, so they are guaranteed a spot at Nationals. There will surely be junior pairs teams competing at Norwood (among them might be Fleming/Finster and Lockley/Isbell; Martins/Bedard have competed in JGP pairs, as have Smirnova/Siianytsia, and they already have a bye to Nationals based on 2021 Nats junior pairs results ). Since S/S won junior pairs at Nationals last season, I wonder if they are moving up to seniors domestically. They have competed in seniors at some early events this season.

I can't think of any additional senior pairs teams who are left to compete at Norwood, unless Hanns/Garbutt are still together and planning to compete, and unless Digerness/Sadusky are ready to compete as a new pair. Chan/Howe are based at Boston with Lu/Mitrofanov. But both of those teams have byes from their placements at 2021 Nationals. Since 7 senior spots are taken for 2022, there are only five spots remaining. The top five combined scorers will qualify. Maybe Smirnova/Siianytsia are planning to compete in seniors at Nationals, which would mean 4 spots are remaining, which may go to:

Plazas/Fernandez 146+
Finster/Silecky 141+
Cooke/Bearinger (perhaps) 136+ combined score
Mokhova/Mokhov (perhaps) 134+ combined score

The Championship Series websites do not list entrants (at least I can't find an entries list).

Sadly, with the problems Sasha F & Danny N had in the sp (which put them far behind in the scoring), they placed 6 out of 7 overall at Henderson, with a total score of only 126.84. I would prefer seeing them compete at Nationals over Mokhova/Mokhov, whose material is exactly the same from year-to-year. Mokhova appears to be having growing pains (with resultant adjusting needed to her changing body). She made a number of mistakes that are uncharacteristic.

It seems possible that Sasha N might be dealing with an injury, which might explain their rough outings.

Last edited:

casualfan

On the Ice
Chelsea Liu and Danny O’Shea are also in the mix. Didn’t see them mentioned, unless I missed it.

This is the first time I’ve watched Mokhova/Makhov. I think their programs (and costumes) are very dated, like something you would see 30 years ago.