2021-22 U.S. Pairs Figure Skating | Page 42 | Golden Skate

2021-22 U.S. Pairs Figure Skating

Seven Sisters

Medalist
I’m wondering whether we may start to see talented, but lower-level, pairs skaters (or dancers, for that matter) from Russia or Ukraine start to explore opportunities with unpartnered skaters in Europe or North America. I could see this happening if the current conflict and the current ban on Russian skaters continue on into next season—not with the very top “star” skaters, or those in secure partnerships, of course, but with those who may not see as bright of a competitive future if they stay where they are.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I’m wondering whether we may start to see talented, but lower-level, pairs skaters (or dancers, for that matter) from Russia or Ukraine start to explore opportunities with unpartnered skaters in Europe or North America. I could see this happening if the current conflict and the current ban on Russian skaters continue on into next season—not with the very top “star” skaters, or those in secure partnerships, of course, but with those who may not see as bright of a competitive future if they stay where they are.
I guess it will be interesting to see. My fear is they wouldn’t be allowed to leave the country, let alone skate for another country.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I’m so sad. I’ve got to quit even looking at junior pairs🥲🥲

I'm sad because it looks like Cat is training at Great Park, and Rivers/Chapman had Rohene choreo, since they were based in Chicago. That (Rohene choreo) might not happen again.🥲

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I'm sad because it looks like Cat is training at Great Park, and Rivers/Chapman had Rohene choreo, since they were based in Chicago. That (Rohene choreo) might not happen again.🥲

Side note that Rivers/Chapman have not been based in Illinois for months.
Soon after the 2020-21 season, they moved together to Irvine to join Team Todd and Jenni.

BTW ... IMO, Timmy Chapman is a huge talent.
I look forward to whatever is next for him.

(He is another guy who will be too old for junior internationals in 2022-23.)

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Side note that Rivers/Chapman have not been based in Illinois for months.
Soon after the 2020-21 season, they moved together to Irvine to join Team Todd and Jenni.

BTW ... IMO, Timmy Chapman is a huge talent.
I look forward to whatever is next for him.

(He is another guy who will be too old for junior internationals in 2022-23.)
Why all the shuffling? 2020 pewter medal, 2021 bronze, break up. Why why why.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Does one have to be based In Chicago for Rohene choreo? Jason is not based in Chicago?

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Does one have to be based In Chicago for Rohene choreo? Jason is not based in Chicago?

No, you don't. But it seems to me recently (past few years) that Rohene's "non-Jason" ;) work has been with skaters in Chicago rinks, particularly now that Ro is also coaching at one of the rinks there.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
FWIW, a possible additional tea leaf re Mitrofanov:

Caveat that it is from Evening With Champions, and not from Misha himself.
EWC has been promoting its shows with a series of posts featuring individual cast members.

EWC's caption today that accompanies separate solo shots of Hazel and of Misha:

" and just starting their partnership this year, we have Hazel Collier and 2022 four continents champion Misha Mitrofanov!! @hazelcolllier @misha_mitrofanov97 "

https://www.instagram.com/p/CcDmySKLLyo/ (Apr 7)​

:unsure: Even the ever-cautious I :laugh: would say that EWC's wording would suggest that at least EWC is expecting more than a temporary partnership for Misha and Hazel?​

(Posting here because 2021-22 season will not be over until after Junior Worlds.)

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
"Mitrofanov started a tryout with Collier a month ago," per @clairecloutier's full review of An Evening With Champions.

I think Claire means that the tryout still is in progress? Her paragraph re Mitrofanov and Collier:

"Hazel Collier/Misha Mitrofanov made their debut as a pairs team at the show. Mitrofanov won the 2022 Four Continents title just two months ago with former partner Audrey Lu, but the team has now split, and Mitrofanov started a tryout with Collier a month ago. Collier/Mitrofanov skated to “Beggin’” by Maneskin. They landed a throw jump and side-by-side double jumps."

https://adivinesport.com/2022/04/14/an-evening-with-champions-2022/ (Apr 14)​

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Well... Misha and Hazel's coaching team seems to think they're a new pair - for good.

This Instagram link includes some footage of them skating, and it's about what you'd expect for a pair working together for only two weeks.

Thanks for the new Instagram post from this morning. The video surely is from one of their EWC performances, and EWC had announced over three weeks ago that Mitrofanov and Collier would be performing together in the two EWC shows.

Thoughts:

General comment that I have a lot of faith in Claire's reporting at all times. It's not clear whether her information about the tryout is from right before or right after one of the EWC shows.
Also possible that I misinterpreted what she was saying about the status of the tryout.

Also, the EWC shows were on Sat Apr 9 and Sun Apr 10, and today is Apr 14.
Seems within the realm of possibility that how the EWC performances actually turned out was an important validation for the skaters and coaches that heightened their "hope of something great" -- although the hope already had been born before EWC.​

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
@ice coverage I was not intending in any way to question your sources.

My post was intended in a "breaking news" sort of way because it showed in my Instagram feed this morning.

There is a timeline disconnect. The coaching team Instagram says they've been skating together for two weeks, but I think the tryout happened before then. So maybe the tryout happened and the parties took some time to negotiate whatever pairs negotiate and then reach a joint decision to team up.

It doesn't make any difference, really, except it makes me wonder what exactly is involved in a tryout and what is the typical course of events in deciding to form a pair.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
@ice coverage I was not intending in any way to question your sources.

My post was intended in a "breaking news" sort of way because it showed in my Instagram feed this morning.

There is a timeline disconnect. The coaching team Instagram says they've been skating together for two weeks, but I think the tryout happened before then. So maybe the tryout happened and the parties took some time to negotiate whatever pairs negotiate and then reach a joint decision to team up.

It doesn't make any difference, really, except it makes me wonder what exactly is involved in a tryout and what is the typical course of events in deciding to form a pair.

No worries, we're all good. :)
I hope that my previous post did not sound belligerent. It was not my intention.
I agree that it does not make a difference that the timeline is not crystal clear to fans. (y)

The curious side of me wonders whether there was a particular tipping point (a good tipping point) for the coaches that caused them to break their silence on Instagram today. :unsure:
But they're obviously not obliged to satisfy my curiosity. :laugh:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
No worries, we're all good. :)
I reread my post, and on review I thought it sounded a little bit of "no, you're wrong" and that's definitely NOT what I meant, and I'm relieved you didn't take it that way.

I'm glad we're good, you're one of those knowledgeable longtime contributors who has my respect, and I'd hate for us to be on the wrong footing.