2021-22 U.S. Pairs Figure Skating | Page 44 | Golden Skate

2021-22 U.S. Pairs Figure Skating

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Saw this article/interview from MSN with Timothy LeDuc:

Olympic Ice Skater Timothy Leduc Talks Travel, Skating on Cruise Ships, and Making History at the Winter Games

This was for the Travel & Leisure section so it's mostly focused on Tim's travel/cruise ship experience. One notable quote:

Are you looking towards another Olympics?

"That's a really good question. I would be 35 going on 36 for the next games, which is not unheard of, but it is on the older end of the spectrum. So I have to think really hard about if that is something I want to continue to pursue and do and, again, I would have to forge my own path in order to get there and pay for it and make it happen. But Ashley and I haven't ruled out any possibility."

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I like the following quote, which isn't news but I think it's notable in a different way -- being a lovely spin on the sport :)

As soon as I came back from cruise ships, I said, 'You know what, I love skating and shows and performing for an audience, and now I want to skate in the biggest shows in the world,' which are nationals and the world championships and the Olympics," LeDuc said. "So I kind of, in a way, have always thought of myself since as being a show skater, rather than a competitive skater. I'm just trying to compete in different shows now."

We fans all know whether we want to see figure skating because it's a sport, or because it's a performing art and a sport. But it can't be repeated too often!

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Here's a bit of an update on Chelsea Liu.

She wrote me in a message that she finds coaching to be very therapeutic for her. Lucky kids, to have her as a coach! She hopes to be a coach who makes skating about more than just competition. To this, I say a huge "hooray!" :points:

She's working with a therapist, and she hopes to keep getting better and find a way to heal physically and mentally, to healthily be involved with the sport again at some point in the future.

MCsAngel2

On the Ice

She wrote me in a message that she finds coaching to be very therapeutic for her. Lucky kids, to have her as a coach! She hopes to be a coach who makes skating about more than just competition. To this, I say a huge "hooray!" :points:

She's working with a therapist, and she hopes to keep getting better and find a way to heal physically and mentally, to healthily be involved with the sport again at some point in the future.

Man, I'm so bummed to have it essentially confirmed that she's no longer skating with Danny. They honestly were my favorite part of Skate America, they had such great chemistry together. They both looked like they loved being out there.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Man, I'm so bummed to have it essentially confirmed that she's no longer skating with Danny. They honestly were my favorite part of Skate America, they had such great chemistry together. They both looked like they loved being out there.

Same.

I think they had something rare and so charming. And the joy.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I just saw an Instagram story on both Hazel and Misha's pages. It showed a nice throw 3L. Good runout, proper edge, not spectacular height. I'm not going to bother linking because the story is about to expire.

I suppose it's only really noteworthy because there is video evidence of progress on a pairs element of competitive difficulty. The kids are working.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Does anyone know what Audrey Lu is planning to do? Is she going to do singles or is she looking for a new partner? There was video of her doing a solo program from COI, I believe.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It was pretty much confirmed for me when he was trying out with...someone? I can't remember, too many breakups. EDIT: It was Olivia Serfini, but that was awhile ago and I've seen nothing since.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
How about Jessica Calalang and Danny? And they used to skate together a long time ago. (2009-2010)

happycamper2554

On the Ice
How about Jessica Calalang and Danny? And they used to skate together a long time ago. (2009-2010)
Danny doesn't need another partner who can jump consistently. I know she isn't as wow on the lifts and other pair elements but I think serafini would be the better choice

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
from @clairecloutier posting on another figure skating forum:

Kate Finster announces her retirement from competitive skating:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CdEZNR3vlAG/

This link worked for me the first time and doesn't now. But it didn't mention Matej Silecky or Balazs Nagy. Weird. It's a contrast to Matej's IG post when he announced that he'd received a call from Kate soon after nationals informing him that she and her team had 'decided to go in a different direction moving forward.' Pretty good euphemism for ending a partnership! Here's a quote from Matej on that occasion (post dated Feb. 21):

As for me, I am proud to have supported our team through the season and Championships, and I wish we could have achieved more. I believe, hopefully, I showed others it is possible to successfully return to competitive skating after surgeries and a long hiatus (6 years in my case). I learned a lot that I feel will help in the future - about supporting athletes, team members having the same goals, being able to openly discuss their goals, and having the people working together each day on the same page. I'm excited to put those lessons to work and wish everyone the best in the upcoming seasons.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's intriguing. Some have hinted or outright stated that the partnership did not end amicably, and that it therefore wasn't likely to be tried again. Still, it would be quite something if a reconciliation could be accomplished, now that everyone's an adult and has experience in finding ways to reconnect and agree again.

There would be beauty there, though. Still, as @happycamper2554 hinted, Calalang would be a 3rd partner for Danny whose jumps needed to come up to Danny's level. Olivia Serafini does seem to be a better jumper. Whether other qualities that make a pair a dynamic duo? well, we'll see -- if that partnership comes to pass.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The link in your post worked for me @skylark.

Well, Kate and Matej clearly did not have a meeting of the minds, and it looks like Kate is currently without a partner and just wrote her post that way. But I admit, usually these posts are like Oscar speeches and mention everyone :LOL:

Best of luck to Kate in the future.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
from @clairecloutier posting on another figure skating forum:

This link worked for me the first time and doesn't now. But it didn't mention Matej Silecky or Balazs Nagy. Weird. It's a contrast to Matej's IG post when he announced that he'd received a call from Kate soon after nationals informing him that she and her team had 'decided to go in a different direction moving forward.' Pretty good euphemism for ending a partnership! Here's a quote from Matej on that occasion (post dated Feb. 21):

I’m so sad. Now this was unexpected.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Danny doesn't need another partner who can jump consistently. I know she isn't as wow on the lifts and other pair elements but I think serafini would be the better choice
Has anyone heard anything other than they were trying out though? Seems a long tryout if it is still happening. Danny is one of the skaters I’m absolutely terrified will retire.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Has anyone heard anything other than they were trying out though? Seems a long tryout if it is still happening. Danny is one of the skaters I’m absolutely terrified will retire.
I haven't seen another mention. But remember that Chelsea and Danny skated together for at least a couple of months before the news of their partnership broke, with OnIcePerspectives. Seems like Jeni/Todd's outfit is good at keeping silent, or protecting a possible or new pairing.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The link in your post worked for me @skylark.

Well, Kate and Matej clearly did not have a meeting of the minds, and it looks like Kate is currently without a partner and just wrote her post that way. But I admit, usually these posts are like Oscar speeches and mention everyone :LOL:

Best of luck to Kate in the future.
Thanks for letting me know that the link worked for you. IIRC, didn't Kate say in it that she was retiring?

I was a big fan of Matej. I'd previously sworn to mute "Carry You" if another skater or pair used it. But before the music even started (this was their SP at nationals), Matej's posture and facial expression gave me the idea that they were putting a completely other interpretation on it than what I considered to be rather angsty, sappy takes on the music, which is what I'd felt previously (KMT/M esp). F/S program was more like a stand-up, strong kind of love story, IMO. And then their skate, for me, confirmed it. I also felt that Matej brought out something more mature and interesting in Kate. Although in the FS, they used the same ugly lift position that I'd seen with her and Nagy.

Anyhoo. I thought the F/S partnership had potential. Probably long-term, although if Kate and her team had had a crystal ball and could have seen that L/M and C/J would be breaking up, I wonder if they'd have made a different decision.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
....IIRC, didn't Kate say in it that she was retiring?

I was a big fan of Matej. I'd previously sworn to mute "Carry You" if another skater or pair used it. But before the music even started (this was their SP at nationals), Matej's posture and facial expression gave me the idea that they were putting a completely other interpretation on it than what I considered to be rather angsty, sappy takes on the music, which is what I'd felt previously (KMT/M esp). F/S program was more like a stand-up, strong kind of love story, IMO. And then their skate, for me, confirmed it. I also felt that Matej brought out something more mature and interesting in Kate. Although in the FS, they used the same ugly lift position that I'd seen with her and Nagy.

Anyhoo. I thought the F/S partnership had potential. Probably long-term, although if Kate and her team had had a crystal ball and could have seen that L/M and C/J would be breaking up, I wonder if they'd have made a different decision.
You are right about Kate, brain freeze:drama:

I also liked what little I saw of Matej and Kate. But I have learned not to get attached to new pairs.:cry: