2021-22 US Ice Dance | Golden Skate

2021-22 US Ice Dance

dancelion21

On the Ice
Since Grand Prix Assignments were just announced, it's probably time for a new thread for the Olympic season.

The Assignments:
Skate America - Hubbell/Donohue, Chock/Bates, TBA spot
Skate Canada - Carreria/Ponomarenko, Green/Parsons
Cup of China - Hubbell/Donohue, Green/Parsons
NHK - Chock/Bates, Hawayek/Baker
IdF - Carreira/Ponomarenko
Rostelecom - Hawayek/Baker

Curious that H/D and C/B will be competing against each other so early in the season. That doesn't bode well for C/B unless H/D make major mistakes. Also, I anticipate the TBA spot at Skate America to go to Cesanek/Yehorov since they performed well last year and were the fifth place team at US Champs.

Weathergal

Medalist
Since Grand Prix Assignments were just announced, it's probably time for a new thread for the Olympic season.

The Assignments:

Curious that H/D and C/B will be competing against each other so early in the season. That doesn't bode well for C/B unless H/D make major mistakes. Also, I anticipate the TBA spot at Skate America to go to Cesanek/Yehorov since they performed well last year and were the fifth place team at US Champs.
I'd really like to see Cesanek / Yeharov get the spot at SkAm, too!
I'd love Pate/Bye to get the spot but I doubt it will go to them - so many interesting teams, so little GP spots!
But I like Pate / Bye as well. Agree so many interesting teams!

ZeldaJo21

Rinkside

The Assignments:

When should they announce who gets the TBA spot at Skate America? I too hope to see Cesanek/Yehorov get this spot 🤞

ice coverage

Record Breaker
When should they announce who gets the TBA spot at Skate America? ...

I don't know if/when Champs Camp is being held this year, but if(?) it were planned, I could imagine a return to the scenario of the "class photo" being our first knowledge?

In any case, my guess would be that we will not find out until at least after Lake Placid Ice Dance International in mid-August?

Which also would be after Dallas Cannon Classic next week :) and Chesapeake Open in early August.

(ice-dance.com will be on site to cover Dallas Cannon Classic. :geek:)

Per usual, adding the link to the previous season's thread for reference.

ETA:

Forgot to mention that Rachel Parsons 🥰 is interviewed for approx. the first fifteen minutes of the ISU podcast that was published today (Episode 9, which is Part 2 of the podcast's Pride Month Special 🏳️‍🌈):

The hosts mention at the end that isu.org also will have a feature on Rachel.

ETA (on Jul 6):
Rachel Parsons: Living her best life after learning to love skating again (Jul 5)

ETA:

Vanessa Pham/Jonathan Rogers posted a nice group photo of all the junior and senior dance competitors from Broadmoor Open.
Medals for everyone (four junior couples and one senior).
Pham/Rogers won junior bronze 🥉; Flores/Tsarevski junior gold 🥇; Peals junior silver 🥈.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQw27b4L7IF/ (Jun 30)​

ETA (on Jul 1):

Hmmm ... DelCamp/Somerville are not listed as 2021-22 USFS Envelope funding recipients. :unsure:

Odd because their third place in junior dance at Nats entitled them to Team C funding.

They still are on -- update: now have been removed from! -- the USFS ISP list.
[When I checked the ISP list on the morning of Jul 1, they still were there; then were removed within a few hours.]

(Team C currently has three couples listed: Pate/Bye; Wolfkostin/Chen; and the Browns.)​

Last edited:

ZeldaJo21

Rinkside
I don't know if/when Champs Camp is being held this year, but if(?) it were planned, I could imagine a return to the scenario of the "class photo" being our first knowledge?

In any case, my guess would be that we will not find out until at least after Lake Placid Ice Dance International in mid-August?

Which also would be after Dallas Cannon Classic next week :) and Chesapeake Open in early August.

(ice-dance.com will be on site to cover Dallas Cannon Classic. :geek:)

Per usual, adding the link to the previous season's thread for reference.

ETA:

Forgot to mention that Rachel Parsons 🥰 is interviewed for approx. the first fifteen minutes of the ISU podcast that was published today (Episode 9, which is Part 2 of the podcast's Pride Month Special 🏳️‍🌈):​

The hosts mention at the end that isu.org also will have a feature on Rachel.​

ETA:

Vanessa Pham/Jonathan Rogers posted a nice group photo of all the junior and senior dance competitors from Broadmoor Open.​
Medals for everyone (four junior couples and one senior).​
Pham/Rogers won junior bronze 🥉; Flores/Tsarevski junior gold 🥇; Peals junior silver 🥈.​

ETA (on Jul 1):

Hmmm ... DelCamp/Somerville are not listed as 2021-22 USFS Envelope funding recipients. :unsure:
Their third place in junior dance at Nats should have been sufficient for Team C.​
They still are on -- update: now have been removed from‼️ -- the USFS ISP list.​
(Team C currently has three couples listed: Pate/Bye; Wolfkostin/Chen; and the Browns.)​
Are DelCamp/Somerville no longer skating together?

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This may be the most interesting USA discipline for me this year. Mainly because my feelings about the groups of competitors has flipped-flopped over the past season or two.

As for the top two teams, a few seasons ago, I was less enthusiastic about C/B, and in love with H/D. I've recently reversed my opinions.

A season ago, I felt like C/P would overtake H/B, and deservedly so. Last season H/B recaptured my attention with a beautiful, and underappreciated, free dance. C/P slid a rung on my ladder of favorites, and they may fall further if Green and Parsons improve at their recent trajectory.

I'm not savvy enough to really know much about the lower ranked teams, but it's already a stacked field... and I have no problem with moving a team up or down my favorites list.

readernick

Medalist
Apparently there was a junior ice dance competition this weekend. According to Sylvia@unseenskaters there was a junior ice dance competition this week:

Looks like the Browns won over their rivals which I am quite happy about, Katarina Wolfkostin/Jeffrey Chen are a great team but the Browns are special. Wish all the teams a great season!

ZeldaJo21

Rinkside
Apparently there was a junior ice dance competition this weekend. According to Sylvia@unseenskaters there was a junior ice dance competition this week:

Looks like the Browns won over their rivals which I am quite happy about, Katarina Wolfkostin/Jeffrey Chen are a great team but the Browns are special. Wish all the teams a great season!
Another good upcoming team to keep an eye on in junior dance is Flores/Tsarevski. They just paired up last season but are quickly climbing the podium ladder! I still would love to know what happened to DelCamp/Somerville 🤷‍♀️

ZeldaJo21

Rinkside
This may be the most interesting USA discipline for me this year. Mainly because my feelings about the groups of competitors has flipped-flopped over the past season or two.

As for the top two teams, a few seasons ago, I was less enthusiastic about C/B, and in love with H/D. I've recently reversed my opinions.

A season ago, I felt like C/P would overtake H/B, and deservedly so. Last season H/B recaptured my attention with a beautiful, and underappreciated, free dance. C/P slid a rung on my ladder of favorites, and they may fall further if Green and Parsons improve at their recent trajectory.

I'm not savvy enough to really know much about the lower ranked teams, but it's already a stacked field... and I have no problem with moving a team up or down my favorites list.
Another young senior team to watch is Cesanek/Yegorov. They skate beautiful together and have done well after their senior debut this past year. They placed 5th at Skate America and 5th at US championships behind Green/Parsons!

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Vadym's new partner is Sophia Eowyn Hsu. Here's a video that was posted on YouTube of them doing the midnight blues pattern dance.

There are a bunch of videos on her YouTube channel of her doing solo dance moves.
Wow!! They look great together
Is she from the US?
Fingers crossed for more..

dancelion21

On the Ice
Wow!! They look great together
Is she from the US?
Fingers crossed for more..
She seems to be from the US. Her Instagram bio says she's from DC and her videos on her YouTube channel indicates that she's competed in solo dance for the US. We also haven't heard anything about Vadym being released by USFS, so it's safe to assume they'll be competing for the US.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Congratulations to Oona/Gage for gold 🥇at Dallas Cannon Classic.

A win is a win, but their margin of victory was less than half a point, and Wolfkostin/Chen placed first in the RD ... so the season will be interesting, for sure.

Another good upcoming team to keep an eye on in junior dance is Flores/Tsarevski. They just paired up last season but are quickly climbing the podium ladder! ...

Yes, it is great to see that Flores/Tsarevski are building on their momentum from their first season.
For one thing: In Dallas, they earned seven Ys for key points in the pattern dance, compared to three for W/C and two for the Browns. (Pham/Rogers earned four Ys.)

ETA (on Jul 19):

Charlie White shared a lot of thoughts relevant to all figure skaters (not only ice dancers) in a great Zoom meeting with Peninsula Skating Club on Jul 11.

https://www.peninsulaskatingclub.or...-21-community-zoom-meeting-with-charlie-white (1:17:30)​

ETA (on Jul 21; with updates on Aug 8, Aug 20, Sep 1, Sep 17, Oct 7; also on Jun 10, 2022):

For my own reference, a running list of some of this season's competitions in the U.S. with any senior/junior partnered ice dance:

Ann Arbor, May 20-21
Atlanta Open, Jun 16-17
Broadmoor Open, Jun 29-30
Dallas Cannon Classic, Jul 10-11
Orange Blossom Open (Florida), Jul 16-17
Chesapeake Open, Aug 4-8
Lake Placid Ice Dance International (at SCOB in Norwood this season), Aug 12-15
Onyx Challenge (Michigan), Aug 20
19th Annual Labor Day Invitational (Florida), Sep 3-5
Colorado Springs Invitational, Sep 9-12
U.S. International Classic, Sep 15-18 (not a Challenger this season)
U.S. Challenge Skate for junior/novice, Sep 15-19
Challenge Cup (Philadelphia), Sep 16-19
U.S. Championship Series in Blaine, Minnesota, Oct 4-8
Skate America (Las Vegas), Oct 21-24
U.S. Championship Series in Alpharetta, Georgia, Nov 16-20
U.S. Nationals (Nashville), Jan 2-9, 2022​

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
This is a bit off topic but, I was watching old Olympic Videos today and I am wondering what the Shibs are up to these days?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Coming up next week is Chesapeake Open, Aug 4 - 8.

Free live streaming will be available on YouTube :) at the link below, with separate streams for each day and each rink.
(Caveat that I do not know whether the streams will be archived.)

Starting orders/Results page will be at this link (although no starting orders posted yet):

For partnered dance:
I think Senior RD will be on the night of Thu Aug 5 in the Resor Rink, and Senior FD on the night of Fri Aug 6 in the Patrick Rink.
Same dates/rinks for Junior RD and FD, except earlier in the evenings.​

"For health and safety reasons, spectators are not allowed this year. Each competitor is allowed 1 guest/chaperone."

And ... coming up the following week is Lake Placid Ice Dance International, Aug 12 - 15.
https://scboston.org/cranberry/ is the one-stop shopping page for information and links.
(Same page as for Cranberry Cup International and Cranberry Open.)

Live streaming will be available on Vimeo (my guess[?] is that streams will not be archived?).

Tentative schedule:

Junior RD: Thu Aug 12, 8:20 - 10:05 pm, in Performance Center rink
Junior FD: Fri Aug 13, 3:55 - 6:10 pm, in Performance Center rink

Senior RD: Sat Aug 14, 4:15 - 6:30 pm, in Performance Center rink
Senior FD: Sun Aug 15, 1:45 - 4:30 pm, in Performance Center rink​

Starting orders not posted yet.

For in-person spectators: "Tickets On Sale Soon!"