2021 Finlandia Trophy: Men's Short Program | Page 25 | Golden Skate

2021 Finlandia Trophy: Men's Short Program

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I'm puzzled by the "Dima is dooooomed" talk, he's in 5th. I couldn't find him on the results page at first because I was looking near the bottom :laugh:

But then I'm from Aussieland where mess-ups are super mess-ups and you really could end up in last place.

I must track down Misha's skate too because I've heard bad things, the costume is fab though! :biggrin:

Poor Zhenya S though :( 🤞 he can come back in the free!

chasingneverland

Record Breaker
I'm puzzled by the "Dima is dooooomed" talk, he's in 5th. I couldn't find him on the results page at first because I was looking near the bottom :laugh:
Overreactions to both good and bad skates and alternating between crowning skaters OGMs and saying they're too old/won't make the Olympics/should just retire depending on the week and skate are all too common haha. In reality the truth is usually somewhere in the middle and skaters are after all only human.

anonymoose_au

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Overreactions to both good and bad skates and alternating between crowning skaters OGMs and saying they're too old/won't make the Olympics/should just retire depending on the week and skate are all too common haha. In reality the truth is usually somewhere in the middle and skaters are after all only human.
Too true. I remember when I really got into skating having just been an Olympic watcher previously and re-visiting all the Salt Lake Pairs scandal (my vague memory was that Elena and Anton had done enough to win) and this person was going on about the BIG mistake in their LP and how it had been such an obvious fix that I started wondering if I was misremembering, so I went to look at the program on YouTube band it was like...a tiny little stumble. The person had made it sound like they'd fallen five times or something! :laugh2: So seeing for yourself is important!

anonymoose_au

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Aliev seems to not be able to recover between bouts of illness. 💔

This page has links to a lot of short programs from Finlandia and quick breakdowns of skates and scores

Weird! My phone won't let me access Jackie's site, it says it's unsafe!

Ah well I'll go look on Twitter he probably put links there too.

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
And a shout out to Arlet Levandi of Estonia in 9th place who won silver in the JGP event in Ljubljana. A new favorite.. lovely skater. Good luck in the FS!

3T3T

Final Flight
Country
Ireland
I really enjoyed the short. Lots of very good performances.

A tie for first but Messing get the nod due to the higher TES. I liked his programme the speed in his spins were fantastic. Jason gave a great skate, he had the higher BV without the quad but higher levels. He is very comfortable with the programme. I enjoyed Kolyada, fall on the combo but when clean this will score big. It’ll be interesting to see how the battle of the Schindlers List go.

My favourite performance was Majorov. It was so passionate & committed, he gave 100%. I hope he gets the score necessary to get his Olympic ticket. I also enjoyed the Spanish skater. Surprised to see a few errors from Semeneko, he usually is so consistent.

Rizzo had a bad day, it’s very competitive in Italy with 3 skaters going for 2 spots. He is under a bit of pressure, if he loses here to Frangipani. I thought Milyukov was marked harshly on PCS.

auser

Record Breaker
Hands on your heart Ichat, was this worth your time, energy and effort to stay up? No? Then why did you do that? Please excuse Ichat while Ichat punishes Ichat
Please stop punishing Ichat for following her/his passions unless it truly leads to better time/life enhancement balance.:slink:

Last edited:

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
@eppen, to be honest, I don’t think this was one of Jason’s best performances- he looked tired or nervous or both - so that may have impacted your enjoyment. But it also sounds like you watched him with a lot of expectations and were trying to analyze him while watching as well. If that’s true, it’s perhaps not surprising that you didn’t feel carried away by it. I did notice that most people in the audience really seemed to love it.
I naturally overanalyze and overthink everything, so I think I also compensate for that (well, at least I hope) 🙃 My Javi obsession took me to a lot of live competitions over the years and those have given me lots of great experiences with seeing various skaters live. Some I have not cared for very much before (eg Denis Ten, Yan Han), but seeing them live changed my opinion of them completely.

In many cases, the experience of watching them through the camera eye is not that different from seeing them live. You just get a better idea of their speed, how well they project the performance to the whole audience (and perhaps not just for the judges), how well they use the ice area, and how the choreo works from one point of observation instead of multiple cameras. But sometimes there are skaters that look better on camera for me, and the live experience is not as great as you would expect...

Because I overanalyze everything, I know quite well why I like some skaters more than anyone else. But I would like to understand also the opposite, why I don't like skaters that seemingly almost everyone else loves to bits. That is actually much harder to grasp than figuring out why you like someone else.

I watched Jason on video and he does seem a bit slow in the first part of the program. I still like that choreo a lot, it is a great study of style and a great homage to the Alvin Ailey original.

E

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I naturally overanalyze and overthink everything, so I think I also compensate for that (well, at least I hope) 🙃 My Javi obsession took me to a lot of live competitions over the years and those have given me lots of great experiences with seeing various skaters live. Some I have not cared for very much before (eg Denis Ten, Yan Han), but seeing them live changed my opinion of them completely.

In many cases, the experience of watching them through the camera eye is not that different from seeing them live. You just get a better idea of their speed, how well they project the performance to the whole audience (and perhaps not just for the judges), how well they use the ice area, and how the choreo works from one point of observation instead of multiple cameras. But sometimes there are skaters that look better on camera for me, and the live experience is not as great as you would expect...

Because I overanalyze everything, I know quite well why I like some skaters more than anyone else. But I would like to understand also the opposite, why I don't like skaters that seemingly almost everyone else loves to bits. That is actually much harder to grasp than figuring out why you like someone else.

I watched Jason on video and he does seem a bit slow in the first part of the program. I still like that choreo a lot, it is a great study of style and a great homage to the Alvin Ailey original.

E

Interesting. I have skaters I don’t care for that everyone loves as well, we probably all do. Never thought about why though.

Tavi...

Record Breaker

E

You are clearly a very thoughtful person! I agree the choreo is great and also agree with you that some skaters / programs are better appreciated on screen than IRL. For me that’s true of Satoko, for example, because so much of what is lovely about her presentation is subtle, and that can get lost in a theater or rink.

Hope you enjoy the rest of the competition - there are great skaters in all disciplines and I wish I could be there! 😊