2021 JGP Austria: Pairs Free Skate | Page 7 | Golden Skate

2021 JGP Austria: Pairs Free Skate

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
"And so forth" implies to me that they go through the silver medalists first, then bronze, then 4th place, etc. until they fill the spots. Not that 2nd and 3rd are treated equally. But hopefully the ISU will put something out with the qualifiers so we know for sure.
That’s how I originally read it too, but looking at it now, I *think* it actually means (2nd or lower by total score)… in which case, in pairs, it would be basically equivalent of ‘by total score’

balabam

🥕🥕🌵🌵😈😀
Record Breaker
Country
Slovakia
But then it is matematically impossible they ever reach 3rd place with 4 finalists only. I think Lakernik, professor of maths, does not do this obvious error :p

But yes, ISU is often not very clear, what they really want. Just remember olympic qualification process mismatch at the recent Worlds.

Or, if I remember correctly, where head of ISU technical comitee Fabio Bianchetti was a part of technical stuff in some competition (Japan Open?) and he gave edge calls on Kaori Sakamoto's flips instead of lutz :D

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
But then it is matematically impossible they ever reach 3rd place with 4 finalists only. I think Lakernik, professor of maths, does not do this obvious error :p
Well, they also announced that they would have 7 spots in singles and dance, unless there were repeat winners. And they announced it after there had been repeat winners in every discipline. I don't necessarily trust the ISU to write things totally sensibly.

And they used the exact same language for singles and dance on this topic, which could maybe get down past 3rd place in theory, when you consider that they rank the 3 alternates as well.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
But yes, ISU is often not very clear, what they really want. Just remember olympic qualification process mismatch at the recent Worlds.

Or, if I remember correctly, where head of ISU technical comitee Faboi Bianchetti was a part of technical stuff in some competition (Japan Open?) and he gave edge calls on Kaori Sakamoto's flips instead of lutz :D
Yes exactly. So we'll see what they actually meant when they announce the qualifiers.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Wow the top 3 pairs were so impressive!

Omg K/K did not come to play! That opening 3Z+eu+3S was amazing and then SBS 3L. And their overall pair skating was still good too. I just want these Russian teams to take the seniors by storm a la Mishina/galliamov and compel the rest of the world to up their technical game. So great to see these juniors pushing themselves (shoutout to the Aussie pair for their 3-3 attempt),