2021 JGP Kosice: Women's Short Program | Page 19 | Golden Skate

2021 JGP Kosice: Women's Short Program

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
And here we all just saw why the BV of StSq should never be raised, well the spread between levels should never get wider. Adelia is level 2 and the next girl from France is level 3? Just give me a break. There is an ocean between them in the sense of the blade mastery.

bubblecherry

Final Flight
Surprised by Adeliya’s score, but I think the problem is the program. Nothing in her program shows off her superior performance and skating skills. The music is pretty grating and doesn’t fit well with her style of skating.

Zhilina, on the other hand, has a very charming program and performance for her, although her music is pretty dreadful, too.

Mauvedreamer

Final Flight
Can't get into Zhilina at all! I find her very wooden. Yes she is technically excellent, her triple lutz in particular! She has improved performance wise , however I still don't feel she has any connection to her music, which I personally think is a real mish mash of awfulness!! Sofia was beautiful superb, and Adelia is so expressive. The Korean skater had a delightful program.

wakuwaku

On the Ice
Country
Latvia
What a disgusting judging! The two of three only possible nonRussian rivals Mia Kalin and Kimmy Repond both got made up nonexisting URs (Kalin on a lutz and Repond on a toeloop) and GOE/PCS on par with double jumps skaters with 5 ice hours per week. It's especially hilariously looking on the background of Papp's and Ziegler's much higher PCS with, while decent, noticeably worse performances and skating skills. It seems the only reason they couldn't do it with Kim was the fact that she rotated her jumps practically in air - just like Zhilina.
On other hand Russians got crystal clear protocols without any blemishes - despite the fact that on local competitions all top 4 skaters regularly getting at least unclear edges. I don't know what's going on - but from the side it looks like whole judging panel was bought by Russians or something ) Of course I don't believe it myself - Russia don't need it at all - they would won that tournament in any case. But judges could give top western junior skaters at least 60 points which they are worthy of, couldn't they? For example Levito with her 70+ score wasn't THAT different from Kalin, wasn't she?
(Was there 20+ difference in scores between her and Kalin after short without falls on local competitions, I wonder?)

I just don't understand what's happening there. I didn't expect to see so low scores after very good performances - even Ted was pretty surprised after his own many praises - despite the fact that he tried to hide it. Something strange going on.
Maybe it's all Muravyova fault? After that superb skating skills demonstration in the beginning of competition (I honestly think she is best in the world SS woman skater now - it's easily should be in 10s - she is better than Usacheva and Kostornaia in SS. IMO. I wouldn't be surprised at all if her step sequence will be recorded for ISU videoguides for judges as an example) all other skaters after her seemed as slow turtles on ice or something? )) I strongly suspect that if Kalin skated BEFORE Muravyova - she would got much bigger score - and without Russians at all we would see both Kalin and Repond much closer to 70 after short. And if that's the case - it's clearly not right. Judging should not work like this.

Last edited:

Mauvedreamer

Final Flight
What a disgusting judging! The two of three only possible nonRussian rivals Mia Kalin and Kimmy Repond both got made up nonexisting URs (Kalin on a lutz and Repond on a toeloop) and PCS on par with double jumps skaters with 5 ice hours per week. It's especially hilariously looking on the background of Papp's and Ziegler's much higher PCS with, while decent, noticeably worse performances and skating skills. It seems the only reason they couldn't do it with Kim was the fact that she rotated her jumps practically in air - just like Zhilina.
On other hand Russians got crystal clear protocols without any blemishes - despite the fact that on local competitions all top 4 skaters regularly getting at least unclear edges. I don't know what's going on - but from the side it looks like whole judging panel was bought by Russians or something ) Of course I don't believe it myself - Russia don't need it at all - they would won that tournament in any case. But judges could give top western junior skaters at least 60 points which they are worthy of, couldn't they? For example Levito with her 70+ score wasn't THAT different from Kalin, wasn't she?
(Was there 20+ difference in scores between her and Kalin after short without falls on local competitions, I wonder?)

I just don't understand what's happening there. I didn't expect to see so low scores after very good performances - even Ted was pretty surprised after his own many praises - despite the fact that he tried to hide it. Something strange going on.
Maube it's all Muravyova fault? After that superb skating skills demonstration in the beginning of competition (I honestly think she is best in the world SS woman skater now - it's easily should be in 10s - she is better than Usacheva's and Kostornaia's in SS. IMO. I wouldn't be surprised at all if her step sequence will be recorded for ISU videoguides for judges - as an example) all other skaters after her seemed as slow turtles on ice or something? )) I strongly suspect that if Kalin skated BEFORE Muravyova - she would got much bigger score - and without Russians at all we would see both Kalin and Repond much closer to 70 after short. And if that's the case - it's clearly not right. Judging should not work like this.
Lol ..

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
I was busy after the comp and just got a glance at the protocols. Again, Mia underscored but hey it wouldn't be figure skating judging if not for squirrely scores. BTW when are they going to change the name of the sport? They haven't used figures for years. Any suggestions?

readernick

Medalist
Kimmy does UR. Mia lands her jumps in a way that guarantees that the technical panel will review. If the technical panel reviews, there will likely be an UR. I'm not sure her jumps are less rotated than other skaters, but she needs to get flow out of them or the low scores will continue.
To me, the only skater truly underscored was Chaeyeon.The JGP loves to call flip edges but they almost never call lutzes. It is not fair because some of the girls who got higher scores than Chaeyeon have noticeable flutzes. They also deserve edge calls. I also don't find Maria, Zhilina or Adelia ( although Zhilina is a personal favorite of mine) to deserve higher PCS than Chaeyeon. ( Sofia does... Everything she does is beautiful and even though I hate her program she sells it very well) So, I think Chaeyeon's score should be a 68-69. She should be close to Adelia and Maria.

And, yes there is indeed a 20 point difference between Mia and Isabeau in quality. Did you actually watch their performances?

Last edited: