2021 JGP Kosice: Women's Short Program | Page 20 | Golden Skate

2021 JGP Kosice: Women's Short Program

katymay

Medalist
Kimmy does UR. Mia lands her jumps in a way that guarantee that the technical panel will review. If the technical panel reviews, there will likely be an UR. I'm not sure her jumps are less rotated than other skaters, but she needs to get flow out of them or the low scores will continue.
To me, the only skater truly underscored was Chaeyeon.The JGP loves to call flip edges but they almost never call lutzes. It is not fair because some of the girls who got higher scores than Chaeyeon have noticeable flutzes. They also deserve edge calls. I also don't find Maria, Zhilina or Adelia ( although Zhilina is a personal favorite of mine) to deserve higher PCS than Chaeyeon. ( Sofia does... Everything she does is beautiful and even though I hate her program she sells it very well) So, I think Chaeyeon's score should be a 68-69. She should be close to Adelia and Maria.
I think she should be closer to the Russians, BUT, putting the combo at the top of the program, vs. the 2nd half seems to be the kiss of death this year. And it is coming out in PCS scores as well as tech GOE. Also, Chaeyeon's program-transitions and performance-could use an upgrade. This of course is not her fault, but the fault of the coaches, choreographers. More and more skaters are flat edging the flip, and they've even started hammering Trusova on it. Zhilina tends to land on a flat vs. edge, eventually that will catch up with her.

readernick

Medalist
I think she should be closer to the Russians, BUT, putting the combo at the top of the program, vs. the 2nd half seems to be the kiss of death this year. And it is coming out in PCS scores as well as tech GOE. Also, Chaeyeon's program-transitions and performance-could use an upgrade. This of course is not her fault, but the fault of the coaches, choreographers. More and more skaters are flat edging the flip, and they've even started hammering Trusova on it. Zhilina tends to land on a flat vs. edge, eventually that will catch up with her.
Yes, but she isn't worse in PCS. Her SS aren't worse. Her song choice certainly isn't worse than any of the Russians. In fact, it's far better since it doesn't make me cringe because it is inappropriate. Nothing about the Russians' performances ( other than Sofia's) were superior. So, that PCS gap isn't fair. I'm also not saying that she shouldn't get the edge call but if she gets an edge call a few of the Russian skaters should be getting calls on their edges, too. Be fair in judging. I understand Sofia's lead. Zhilina's jumps are on a different level so I understand her lead, too. ( Although the PCS was generous) However, Adelia and Maria were not superior to Chaeyeon. The judges need to be consistent.

Reactions: chz

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
I failed to wake up from my second power nap and am catching up, thoughts: 1)Adeliya Petrosyan is a charismatic performer but I still don't like her program and her costume 2)Can Survivor die please it's becoming a warhorse 3)I am still against Beth Hart in juniors

Paulipau

Final Flight
Country
Poland
I was thinking about Kimmy as her score didn't seem fair yesterday.

I rewatched her program and she did underorate all the triples.
Her SS are discusseable, not a lot of edgework there. But interpretation and performance notes should be higher, definitely not a 4 or 5.
I feel like she got lower notes just because she is 14...

lauravvv

Medalist
Country
Latvia
without music it's beautiful :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

P. S.: Lambiel doesn't age
But the choreo, skating and expression go with the music in even the smallest nuances, so I don't think this program can be fully appreciated with muted sound 🤷🏼‍♀️.

By the way, this is from 2009 (but, yes, Lambiel hasn't aged much).

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
But the choreo, skating and expression go with the music in even the smallest nuances, so I don't think this program can be fully appreciated with muted sound 🤷🏼‍♀️.

By the way, this is from 2009 (but, yes, Lambiel hasn't aged much).
the problem is i hate this song, what can i do? :LOL:

wakuwaku

On the Ice
Country
Latvia
Mia lands her jumps in a way that guarantees that the technical panel will review. If the technical panel reviews, there will likely be an UR. I'm not sure her jumps are less rotated than other skaters, but she needs to get flow out of them or the low scores will continue.
She got 3Lz<+3T. What flow out between jumps in combo you talking about? Between jumps there isn't any time or space for flow - the main task then is to be ready for triple toe. Did you watch that combo carefully? She did exactly the same 3Lz and 3T. In term of rotation and landing both jumps are extremely similar - practically identical. Yet 3Lz got UR and 3T didn't.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
How do I contact the JGP team? I don't have Twitter, they have disabled comments on their videos, but I was just watching their archived stream of ladies SP and it broke off right after Filcova's skate, and cut straight to the middle of the performance of the girl who skated to R&J! So Filcova slow-mo, the girl in pink (forgot who it was), and the opening of the R&J, are all missing :( I know I can probably find them by clicking individual performance videos (I haven't checked but I hope they're there), but if JGP don't allow comments below vids, it could be possible for them to take down a faulty video and re-upload without the missing content, no?

Last edited:

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Catching up this morning and gosh, that’s a disruptive Muravieva there. She just kept me glued to that skate. Hurray for Zhilina trying to perform and looking well! Also, I really randomly liked a Hungarian skater, Papp. And Kalin, I was looking forward to seeing her and liked her performance very much, though she struggled a little and came far below what I expected. Loved Kim before, love her in this short too! Fingers crossed for free! Gosh, still tons to watch. 😅

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Muravyova's always been very good artistically but she's had issues with posture, and I think that she still does. However, I don't think that this SP's music choice is great and I also don't think the choreo's one of the best she's had. But she performed it well.

The most shocking thing was that Zhilina was actually doing facial expressions. I don't think I've ever seen that before from her so that certainly is promising... I've always thought she should have potential there, hopefully she can get there.

Petrosian really didn't make me feel much of anything and I actually agree with Zhilina being ahead of Petrosyan, shockingly enough. Zhilina really stepped up her game, even her skating skills didn't look so clumsy and she was actually performing, much moreso than Petrosyan for example.

Of course, Zhilina isn't on Muravyova's level in terms of performing but she has more beautiful lines, great posture. I think if she works on it a bit more she'll be one of those skaters you'll enjoy watching no matter what it is they're doing. I'm not sure how to explain it but Veronika seems to have a great control over her body and it's a great contrast to both Muravyova and Petrosyan, in that it feels like she constantly is in control instead of gravity or momentum for example. But of course she still has work to do.

And here we all just saw why the BV of StSq should never be raised, well the spread between levels should never get wider. Adelia is level 2 and the next girl from France is level 3? Just give me a break. There is an ocean between them in the sense of the blade mastery.
Step sequence levels aren't based on "sense of blade mastery", they're based on fulfilling specific requirements for the levels. And yes, in seniors sometimes skaters get "reputation lvl 4s" even when they don't actually fulfill all the conditions, but that tends to not be the case in juniors.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
When there is a break in a video like that, often it is because a song was played that had copyright violations.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
How do I contact the JGP team? I don't have Twitter, they have disabled comments on their videos, but I was just watching their archived stream of ladies SP and it broke off right after Filcova's skate, and cut straight to the middle of the performance of the girl who skated to R&J! So Filcova slow-mo, the girl in pink (forgot who it was), and the opening of the R&J, are all missing :( I know I can probably find them by clicking individual performance videos (I haven't checked but I hope they're there), but if JGP don't allow comments below vids, it could be possible for them to take down a faulty video and re-upload without the missing content, no?

The reason for the jump in the archived stream is that the stream had gone down for about 10 minutes during the LIVE coverage. So, nobody watching the stream saw Alexandra Michaela Filcova (SVK) getting her scores, any of Olivia Lisko (FIN), or the start of Elen Ghazaryan (ARM).

I was like you, watching the following morning. But, I was reading the thread in sync with what I was watching, and saw a whole pile of people complaining about the stream going down. The complaining starts with this post.

HOWEVER, I just checked, and the SP's from all three of these skaters are available IN FULL as individual videos:

#17 - Alexandra Michaela Filcova (SVK)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utiwrhtUMA0

#18 - Olivia Lisko (FIN)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQl7oFD8DNs

#19 - Elen Ghazaryan (ARM)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FM_l7GRe3bU

But, I agree, when they clearly had a backup copy of the coverage, they should have uploaded it in place of the damaged copy. Or at least put a warning on the archived livestream's discription, directing us to the 3 videos needed to fill in the gap.

Hope this helps

CaroLiza_fan

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
The reason for the jump in the archived stream is that the stream had gone down for about 10 minutes during the LIVE coverage. So, nobody watching the stream saw Alexandra Michaela Filcova (SVK) getting her scores, any of Olivia Lisko (FIN), or the start of Elen Ghazaryan (ARM).

I was like you, watching the following morning. But, I was reading the thread in sync with what I was watching, and saw a whole pile of people complaining about the stream going down. The complaining starts with this post.

HOWEVER, I just checked, and the SP's from all three of these skaters are available IN FULL as individual videos:

#17 - Alexandra Michaela Filcova (SVK)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utiwrhtUMA0

#18 - Olivia Lisko (FIN)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQl7oFD8DNs

#19 - Elen Ghazaryan (ARM)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FM_l7GRe3bU

But, I agree, when they clearly had a backup copy of the coverage, they should have uploaded it in place of the damaged copy. Or at least put a warning on the archived livestream's discription, directing us to the 3 videos needed to fill in the gap.

Hope this helps

CaroLiza_fan

Thank you for the explanation! It seems there was no alternative then but upload the faulty stream. I went ahead and watched the individual videos then. I am just happy we have a backup like that. :)

Anyhow, there's one thing about JGP I am bothered by at every single competition, so is there a way I can get in touch with the JGP team other than social media which I don't have?

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
Thank you for the explanation! It seems there was no alternative then but upload the faulty stream. I went ahead and watched the individual videos then. I am just happy we have a backup like that. :)

Anyhow, there's one thing about JGP I am bothered by at every single competition, so is there a way I can get in touch with the JGP team other than social media which I don't have?
I believe Ted has sometimes provided an email and a phone number for text messages during the stream. I haven’t seen them recently but perhaps someone else remembers?