2021 Skate America: Men's Free Skate | Page 27 | Golden Skate

2021 Skate America: Men's Free Skate

Feline Feeder

Rinkside
Anyone can have an off day. Nathan fell and popped some quads, but he's not 100% clean all the time, even when he's won. It happens.

What I don't understand is his lackluster programs.
That's nice. He has two warmup suits with a little hombre coloring on them. That's what he's going to skate in during Olympic year? No sequins, no theme costume, not even a suit and tie? Or vest?

And the music. If Benjamin Clementine is Nathan's favorite singer, then good for him for giving him some needed publicity. But this medley did not strike me, at least, as a crowd pleaser, like Caravan. The classical music piece was nice, and it was one not often used, but again, not a crowd pleaser. Yes, the skaters are trying to please the judges, it's not a show piece, but a blah program doesn't help them, I'm sure. I don't know why he would put his more energetic programs in non-Olympic years.

Compare to Vincent's programs. I understand why he would skate to "Vincent" and when he came out in the kimono, I knew he was not there to fool around, LOL! Right now, it looks like he wants it more.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Nah, you're not the only one who likes it. I love it, personally. His music is already playing repeatedly in my head. I've already said this elsewhere but I think that if skated cleanly with 5-6 quads, a little more polish, and the right touch of energy invested in the choreo section, it would absolutely bring the house down. It's dramatic enough. The Skate America crowd seemed to enjoy it, especially that choreo section.
I liked the FP, too. In fact, I think it's the first time that I've liked his Free better than the Short.

Ali81

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Despite the performance being subpar for him , I enjoyed Nathan’s free the most . He looks in great shape physically.Obviously the requiem is very haunting but it suits his minimalist balletic style . I think serious classical pieces are actually his forte , the Philip Glass performance was also great. It is still the nascent stages of the season , so he is going to really escalate as it progresses. This program is going to bring the house down at full pelt , and he will almost certainly get 96-98 pcs . He will obviously be very tough to beat in the Olympics , only Yuzuru at full strength and motivation will have a chance.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Why are the article names beginning with mentioning Nathan faltering and not winning? They could at least say that Vincent skated amazing and took a huge win. Just wondering.
Well, right now, Nathan is the face and the big draw for most audiences here in the US. It's been a while since casual fans have seen Nathan lose to anyone. It's been almost 5 years since Nathan lost to Vincent so, this is a big story. Hopefully one that will shine a new spotlight on Vincent.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't think one can call the Skate America crowd cold after they showed such love and support for Kevin when he needed it.
Of course they love the hometown skaters more, but so does every single country, completely understandable.

I didn't care for Daniel's choreo, but as I said earlier, any skater who has
1) wild jumps 2) amazing spins and 3) loves Jason Brown
holds the key to my heart:biggrin:

Lutzedge

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I realized yesterday or today that Daniil Gleikhengauz and Daniel Grassl are both Dani G. lol. But I think the name "Dani G" is usually referred to for Daniil Gleikhengauz.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I don't think one can call the Skate America crowd cold after they showed such love and support for Kevin when he needed it.
Of course they love the hometown skaters more, but so does every single country, completely understandable.

I didn't care for Daniel's choreo, but as I said earlier, any skater who has
1) wild jumps 2) amazing spins and 3) loves Jason Brown
holds the key to my heart:biggrin:
i think most skaters would agree they love jason brown... make sure you have enough keys or you may have a problem

mrrice

Record Breaker
If I were Vincent, this would upset me. The headline talks about Nathan "Falling Short" but, makes no mention of Vincent until you get into the article. I think as the season progresses this will change. At least I hope so.

rain

Record Breaker
The first big upset of the GP season with Vincent defeating Nathan for gold. I'm elated for him, winning with such a confident and clean performance. It was truly a masterful display.

That said, and in no way to take away from what he accomplished here, it's more a comment on skating in general right now, but this also kind of epitomized the uneven dynamic that exists between jumping and all the rest of the skating. There is nothing to see in this program but jumps, which is completely understandable as it's all quads and a couple triple axels, which require focus and set-up. I suspect we will see more and more programs move in this direction, as clearly jumps are what rack up the most points, and if you want to control your own destiny, doing as many quads as possible is what's required to win right now. But nevertheless, I miss the beautiful skating part of figure skating. The part that's not just arm movements to try to fool the eye into thinking something else is going on besides a jump setup. Maybe now that he seems comfortable with the jumps, Vincent can add some choreography? But frankly many of the men's programs look just like this right now, and for the same reasons, and I don't know that there's much incentive to change anything.

I'd say Vincent now has to be included in the conversation for Olympic gold, and may threaten Nathan for the American title. It will be interesting to see how Nathan responds to this. Until now, he's always known that he can out-quad everyone to win, but Vincent is giving him a run for his money.

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
so boys are a mess with no exceptions. everybody brezined but ungle Michal himself

Darth Adam is your father and a robot
both my boys broke my heart again, at this point i'm afraid i'll never see them skate to their potential, but i'll never stop believing in them.
having a bad competition can happen to anyone, i hope nobody is being to harsh on Nathan he doesn't deserves it.
Jimmy Ma is amazing but what in the name of all the gods he's wearing?
Shoma's Bolero is weird but i think i like it and his landings are wild and scare me

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
I started to think abou the program structures afterwards. I had seen Vincent at Nebelhorn, so I knew what to expect, but both Shoma and Nathan were first times. The increase in quads has resulted in some changes in what can be done, it seems. It takes about 20 s to do one of the more difficult ones for the top jumpers and these guys can pop a 4T in 12 s which is what an average skater uses for the more difficult triples. But obviously more time for jump preparations - roughly half of the program and even more for 6 quads. The strategy for choosing and arranging music was introduced by Hanyu already years ago: relatively slow and even tempo for most of it, with faster and more intense music for the end where you put in the steps of ChSq to give an impression of an actual performance (because the jump preps really do not contain a whole lot of it). Nathan kind of found his personal formula with Glass last season - a slow build up and the end with a bombastic ChSq. Shows that he must be super fit because those 5 and now 6 quads take up quite a lot of energy...

For Narthan, the Mozart selections were the bits that have been used in skating in recent years (a bit lazy considering that the official catalogue for his compositions lists 600+ of them), but at least they did not include "epic rock versions" of Lacrimosa, the hiphop section somehow managed to fit right in with the slow build up. He had opted for 4+3 jump sections and slowish steps in the middle which worked fine. I like the fact that he is able to switch effortlessly from the balletic movement to the hiphop and that sequence showed also some very nice body movement. There is no theme or apparent idea behind this one, but it sort of works. He has selected pretty dark music for the Olympic year - SP Eternity and Nemesis are not very positive or light stuff, nor is Requiem in the FS. The skating pattern and placement of elements over the ice are pretty good. Jumps in both ends pretty equally and spins spred over center ice. The approaches to jumps are arranged in varying patterns using diagonal lines, Ss etc. There could be a bit more in the transitions, perhaps.

I suspect that the plan was similar for Shoma. Bolero is excatly that - a long, mid-tempo piece with a bombastic end. Except that they chose a version (which I liked) that was pretty happening and varying and it really did not complement what Shoma was doing on the ice. His elements were heavily in the right hand side (from judge's perspective), 4 jumps and two spins, one spin was near center ice. What he mostly did in the left side was big loops with repeated straightish lines to prep fo the jumps in the right side. Three of the jumps went to the left end with more elaborate patterns taking place in the right side and just simple lines before the jumps. And if Nathan was lacking transitions, Shoma was even worse. The steps at the end I felt did not do the job for the bombastic and memorable performance. The almost split jump ending on two feet was a bit embarrasing but perhaps just a mistake. Easily the poorest quality choreo of these three.

Vincent ended up being my fave which blows my mind because I have never thought very highly of his skating. If he could only fix the quality of his jumps, I'd be a fan... But the choreo. His jumps were organized 4+2+1 with the spins and the ChSq in between, steps left to the end - makes the last jump even harder. There was perhaps more light and shade in the music cut for him before the obligatory build up for the end. The slow ChSq in the middle was very nice indeed. Jumps and spins were placed in different parts of the ice which I always like and he also used diagonal and S patterns for jump approaches. What I also liked was that he had some extra bits in the transitions near center ice making the whole look a bit fuller than the other two. But my favorite thing perhaps was that the program had an idea and a certain look which was kept from the first second to the last. It might have been the good old martial arts pose, but he sure made it work with the music. Plus that little variation in light and shade in the central part pleased me. He got at least the best CO score, but could have gotten a bit more for the INT IMO.

E