2021 Skate America: Men's Free Skate | Page 28 | Golden Skate

2021 Skate America: Men's Free Skate

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Not sure what it sounded like in person, but on stream, the crowd was pretty wild for Uncle Cactus.
Aww poor Daniel, it was a rough skate but you can't say he didn't try. I thought the spins would at least get a clap.

I hope he doesn't feel unloved.
I feel that karma smiled on me, because this morning I ran into Grassl and strung at least 4 complete sentences of gushing. Maybe even 5. 🤣🤣🤣

SaDa

On the Ice
What I don't understand is his lackluster programs.
That's nice. He has two warmup suits with a little hombre coloring on them. That's what he's going to skate in during Olympic year? No sequins, no theme costume, not even a suit and tie? Or vest?
Sequins? A suit and a tie? Vest? Well, I highly doubt he's going to suddenly change up who he is just because it's Olympic season. I'm not even sure he'd be willing to get back into a unitard. Maybe if Vera can magically find some EXTREMELY comfortable fabric to make them with? A suit/vest is most likely a no. Nathan has made it clear that comfort is one of his biggest priorities...and vests/suits also make him quite uncomfortable. He started off the 2020 season with a vest for La Boheme, his SP, and by the time the GPF came around, he'd gotten rid of it. He said it was too bulky and uncomfortable. I think he also ditched Caravan's vest part way through the season back in 2019. I'm pretty sure there's a reason why he wears loose shirts and refuses to tuck them in. He doesn't like feeling like his movements are being restricted in any way....which, lol, I wonder if all the other skaters would start turning into champions too if they started dressing the way he does. Maybe, just maybe Nathan has discovered the true secret to being champ. Screw the natural talent, iron-strength mentality, and hard work. It's the loose, free-fitting clothes!!!

With that said, I highly doubt what he wore this weekend are his final costumes. Nathan's costumes never remain the same. He usually starts off with something then it all gets changed up by the end of the season. I'm quite sure he'll surprise us with something actually not too surprising when Nationals rolls around. I adore all his shirts, btw. I know I'm in the minority on that opinion...and, you know, that is absolutely okay by me :)

And, yeah, sorry...but I personally love Nathan's programs(his SP not quite as much as his long). I know people keep saying Lacrimosa is bad for the Olympics because it's a funeral mass, or whatever their personal reasonings are, but I'm not really superstitious so it doesn't bother me at all. It's good to know the real backstory behind a piece of music but, great music is simply great music...and in performance art, I tend to think that it can be about creativity/individualism and how one can pretty much interpret/express a piece of music however they choose. When it comes to music, guess I'm just not exactly traditional or a purist.

Last edited:

viennaskater

Medalist
What I don't understand is his lackluster programs.
That's nice. He has two warmup suits with a little hombre coloring on them. That's what he's going to skate in during Olympic year? No sequins, no theme costume, not even a suit and tie? Or vest?
You mean 'ombre'. 'Hombre' is Spanish for 'man'.

eterialskating

On the Ice
I think that he has Olympic gold written all over him. And he already HAS a good reputation.
I have not followed the men ever since Javi retired so I have no idea who's rising among the men. I like Nathan but performance wise he's still quite limited. From Vancouver to Pyeongchang we had the likes of Chan, Javi, Hanyu and Ten. Great skaters with good tech and even better performance skills. Sadly the past quad all I saw was Nathan just outpowering everyone with his tech and I can't remember any memorable program from the men since Pyeongchang. Hanyu has been impotent this quad and frankly after channeling Bonaly and repeating Olympic programs his gone down a notch in my estimation. Frankly his not been good since winning Worlds in 2017. I'm just hoping someone steps up in the men after this unmemorable and boring quad for the men.

viennaskater

Medalist
Hanyu has been impotent this quad and frankly after channeling Bonaly and repeating Olympic programs his gone down a notch in my estimation. Frankly his not been good since winning Worlds in 2017. I'm just hoping someone steps up in the men after this unmemorable and boring quad for the men.
Sorry - what do you mean here?

sworddance21

On the Ice
Sequins? A suit and a tie? Vest? Well, I highly doubt he's going to suddenly change up who he is just because it's Olympic season. I'm not even sure he'd be willing to get back into a unitard. Maybe if Vera can magically find some EXTREMELY comfortable fabric to make them with? A suit/vest is most likely a no. Nathan has made it clear that comfort is one of his biggest priorities...and vests/suits also make him quite uncomfortable. He started off the 2020 season with a vest for La Boheme, his SP, and by the time the GPF came around, he'd gotten rid of it. He said it was too bulky and uncomfortable. I think he also ditched Caravan's vest part way through the season back in 2019. I'm pretty sure there's a reason why he wears loose shirts and refuses to tuck them in. He doesn't like feeling like his movements are being restricted in any way....which, lol, I wonder if all the other skaters would start turning into champions too if they started dressing the way he does. Maybe, just maybe Nathan has discovered the true secret to being champ. Screw the natural talent, iron-strength mentality, and hard work. It's the loose, free-fitting clothes!!!

With that said, I highly doubt what he wore this weekend are his final costumes. Nathan's costumes never remain the same. He usually starts off with something then it all gets changed up by the end of the season. I'm quite sure he'll surprise us with something actually not too surprising when Nationals rolls around. I adore all his shirts, btw. I know I'm in the minority on that opinion...and, you know, that is absolutely okay by me :)

And, yeah, sorry...but I personally love Nathan's programs(his SP not quite as much as his long). I know people keep saying Lacrimosa is bad for the Olympics because it's a funeral mass, or whatever their personal reasonings are, but I'm not really superstitious so it doesn't bother me at all. It's good to know the real backstory behind a piece of music but, great music is simply great music...and in performance art, I tend to think that it can be about creativity/individualism and how one can pretty much interpret/express a piece of music however they choose. When it comes to music, guess I'm just not exactly traditional or a purist.
I agree - I think what Nathan wears suits Nathan. I was, however, glad to see that at least his pants are higher waisted this year and we don't see his bare belly. :)

SaDa

On the Ice
I agree - I think what Nathan wears suits Nathan. I was, however, glad to see that at least his pants are higher waisted this year and we don't see his bare belly. :)

lol...!
Well, my thought is that if Nathan isn't afraid to show off his belly then why should it bother me? Then again, like I said, I'm not a music or figure skating purist. I was always just a casual fan who would tune in every now and then(never into the men's, actually) but Nathan has really changed things for me. It's precisely because Nathan isn't the typical, conventional skater that I've suddenly become a bit obsessed with figure skating. I love his refreshing, modern outlook on this artistic sport.

Last edited:

sworddance21

On the Ice
lol...!
Well, my thought is that if Nathan isn't afraid to show off his belly then why should it bother me? Then again, like I said, I'm not a music or figure skating purist. I was always just a casual fan who would tune in every now and then(never into the men's, actually) but Nathan has really changed things for me. It's precisely because Nathan isn't the typical, conventional skater that I've suddenly become a bit obsessed with figure skating. I love his refreshing, modern outlook on this artistic sport.
I can understand that! I think - the shirt flying up and showing his belly just distracts me because it doesn't look intentional, maybe? (I come from a theatre and dance background as a director, and I want all details considered) If it were a cropped top, or super open neckline, then I don't think I would give it a second thought.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I had this premonition after Vincent's SP that he was going to give Nate trouble and he has.
Actually, Nathan gave himself the trouble with the popped jumps. Nathan's results at SA are due to a loss of mental focus, tech adjustments needed, lack of any pre-season warm-up prep, or all of the above. There are a lot of talented men who can beat a subpar Nathan. Hardly any can beat an in-the-zone '320 scoring' Nathan.

SaDa

On the Ice
Actually, Nathan gave himself the trouble with the popped jumps. Nathan's results at SA are due to a loss of mental focus, tech adjustments needed, lack of any pre-season warm-up prep, or all of the above. There are a lot of talented men who can beat a subpar Nathan. Hardly any can beat an in-the-zone '320 scoring' Nathan.

Well, Nathan's world record total is a whopping 335...way more than what it was at Worlds earlier this year. He earned only 320 because he didn't skate his SP well and had a fall. Not trying to take anything away from Vincent because he skated the best he's ever skated, but I agree with you. I, too, feel this was more about Nathan not skating to his standards. Nobody at their best can beat Nathan at his best. He simply has too much of a tech advantage over everyone else.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Chen will more than likely gold medal in Canada, leaving either Zhou or Hanyu as the two most likely candidates for double gold medals. Which means, the silver medalists have a chance to get into the final so it could be that Skate America had 3 eventual finalists 😍

Last edited:

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Chen will more than likely gold medal in Canada
Ideally. Hopefully, but not necessarily a given, unless he figures himself out and course corrects very quickly. Whether a mental or physical adjustment or both are needed, I hope it happens for Nathan. He's one-of-a-kind, and fun to watch. I'll miss him if he retires too soon.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Ideally. Hopefully, but not necessarily a given, unless he figures himself out and course corrects very quickly. Whether a mental or physical adjustment or both are needed, I hope it happens for Nathan. He's one-of-a-kind, and fun to watch. I'll miss him if he retires too soon.
Very fun to watch!

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Actually, after checking the entries list for Men at Skate Canada, I have to say Nathan Chen won't be facing a lot high-powered quad competition. So, more than likely, your assessment is accurate @lariko.

Nathan will surely have to skate well. He can't afford the pops he did at SA, but more-so for his own rep and judges' perception leading up to the Olympics. None of the men listed for Skate Canada have enough weapons to take down Nathan Chen, even should Nathan make a couple of mistakes. But Nathan should use the opportunity to really straighten himself out. I'm sure he's not going in thinking that he doesn't have any competition.

But on this list: Orzel, Sadovsky, Kvitelashvili, Messing, Tanaka, Yamamoto, Ignatov, Samarin, Semenenko, Jason Brown, and Tomoki H -- none have enough quad firepower. It would certainly be a boost for any of them to get close to Nathan though, so maybe some of them are excited to bring their A games to this competition.

For some reason, men's competitions are always so fun to watch. I think it's because there's such huge depth, variety and range among the men. The men are all very different, and they bring different flavors and creative innovation to the ice, while the ladies just don't.

There are very few interesting and unique ladies, among whom I would include Wakaba Higuchi, Loena Hendrickx, Amber Glenn, and Olga Mikutina. I also enjoy watching Karen Chen, Kaori Sakamoto, Bradie Tennell at her best, the resurgent Alysa Liu, Liza Tuk makes me proud, Kailani Crane is so gorgeous and moves like an ice dancer, and Trusova is really interesting, but too often confounding. I can do without Scherbakova and the rest of the Russians.