2021 US Nationals: Men's FS - Thoughts and Observations | Page 7 | Golden Skate

2021 US Nationals: Men's FS - Thoughts and Observations

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yeah, I can see it could be interpreted that way. Not the intention. I just love watching Jason skate. That's all. Next year's Nationals could be quite an embarrassment of riches with Nathan, Vincent, Jason, Paniot, Torgashev back etc. Quite a strong field.
Agreed on the strength on the potential Nationals field next year.

With so many strong skaters working to improve and peak at just the right moment, it should be a barn-burner. It's probably the competition I'm looking forward to the most... more than even the upcoming (hopefully) World Championship.

Seven Sisters

Medalist
For @labgoat

Thanks for that article on Alex K. I wish him success as he works to finish his career on a high note.

He's been a skater I enjoy.
And he will make an awesome immigration lawyer, given his own experience and the drive and commitment he’s shown as a competitive figure skater. Skaters and others hoping to adjust their immigration status are going to be beating a path to his door!

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Hmm, I will say at the moment:

1. Chen, 2. Hanyu, 3. Shoma
4. Boyang, 5. Kolyada, 6. Aymoz (you tried to erase him! :wink:)
7. Kagiyama, 8. Zhou, 9. Aliev
10. Cha, 11. Brown, 12. Sadovsky
13. Morris K., 14. Grassl, 15. Han Yan
Oops! I completely forgot about Kevin.... how can I forget one of my favourite skaters? Must have been the Europeans catastrophe. Yes, he is up there, as well.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Not gonna lie, I really want Jason to make the Olympic team next year so... how realistic is it for Paniot to get citizenship before Beijing 2022? He could potentially upset the apple cart at nationals next year, especially if he is consistent in the Fall and gets his citizenship in time. He looked impressive with 3 (or was it 4) clean quads in the FS. Jason really needs to have a quad next season.

Given that Alex K. will not get citizenship in time for the Olys, I'm not optimistic about Yaro.

Every. Single. Year. someone with multiple quads skates at Nats and Every. Single. Year, oh, Jason isn't going to place, oh Jason needs a quad, oh he won't even make the podium.

Yet, except when Jason has disaster skates, what happens🤷‍♀️ And not just American judges, international judges appreciate what Jason brings to the ice.

Why don't we flip the narrative: hey, young guys, you better bring more than a bunch of revolutions if you come gunning for the PCS master :)

Olympic

On the Ice
Jason also had not competed in nearly a year, and had had a recurrence of an injury during that period, which I note is not something being widely discussed, especially by those all-to-eager to shove Jason onto the trash-heap and proclaim he'll never get the quad.

Though the obsession still rankles. It is still not so long ago, after all, that the USFS utterly rejected the push towards quads and their one man who could do them...the USFS' about-face only happened when they realised Chen was a cute kid who could.
Nope. Not shoving anyone anywhere. If you read my initial post, I'm actually very flattering to Jason, but the fact is he can't land a quad as of today. That's just the way it is.

happycamper2554

On the Ice
Given that Alex K. will not get citizenship in time for the Olys, I'm not optimistic about Yaro.

Every. Single. Year. someone with multiple quads skates at Nats and Every. Single. Year, oh, Jason isn't going to place, oh Jason needs a quad, oh he won't even make the podium.

Yet, except when Jason has disaster skates, what happens🤷‍♀️ And not just American judges, international judges appreciate what Jason brings to the ice.

Why don't we flip the narrative: hey, young guys, you better bring more than a bunch of revolutions if you come gunning for the PCS master :)

Paniot already said he is aiming for 2026

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Not gonna lie, I really want Jason to make the Olympic team next year so... how realistic is it for Paniot to get citizenship before Beijing 2022? He could potentially upset the apple cart at nationals next year, especially if he is consistent in the Fall and gets his citizenship in time. He looked impressive with 3 (or was it 4) clean quads in the FS. Jason really needs to have a quad next season.
Slow up, Paniot hasn't even been released from Ukraine yet, that won't happen until November this year. From what I understand, he's unlikely to get citizenship in time for Beijing (though with a much more reasonable administration in power now, who knows?), but the point is he can't even skate for the US until midway through the Olympic season to begin with.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't think any US man "waits his turn", as all of our men, from youngest to oldest are competitive and fierce. The youngsters won't wait and the oldsters aren't going to just let them take over. As it should be. :)

By the way, report from Juniors SP, (ETA: may be the wrong thread, but here now, oops) I liked the two leaders, particularly Jacob Sanchez 14 years old and an adorable fireplug. Does not have big powerful jumps, but performance chops to spare. And a skater I did not know at all, Maxim Zharkov. Has elegant jumps, excellent lines. Coached by Artem Torgashev, Andrew's father.

Of course the FS is tonight and all that could change :biggrin:
Yes. Jacob Sanchez. He has ALL the sass.