2021 Worlds are still on | Page 24 | Golden Skate

2021 Worlds are still on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skatesocs

Final Flight
Are all of you medical professionals? I doubt it.
From what I've read, every precaution is being taken.
Yes, that explains a lot, thank you.

I imagine the "cancel worlds" folks watching the show vigilant to catch any slip of the mask, any protocols not fully respected with the magnifying glass and the printed guidelines near them, but lowkey (or not so lowkey) thrilled when their faves are successful in their programs as much or more than the people who are happy for it to go ahead, lowkey and deep down glad it went ahead.
And I imagine the "athletes want to skate" folks just want their entertainment on their screens, the conditions of the people giving it to them be damned. It is after all a sport where I keep seeing people begging for "longevity" despite all the constant abuse that keeps surfacing... Maybe these people want to see the athletes put themselves through all that too for as long as they want, just for their own entertainment needs? Oh well.

And don't worry, luckily I have a lot of other things to do and keep me busy even if I willingly skip worlds. I'm not as emotionally invested in these unknown people as some on this website are, so luckily my happiness and gladness isn't hinged upon worlds going ahead. I sure hope, if worlds is canceled, your folk have that too :) Somehow, I don't get the impression.

Fallingwater

Rinkside
Country
United-Kingdom
This is much the same discussion seen on all other sports forums. An event is to be held during the pandemic. The forum commentariat declare it must not happen, convincing themselves the momentum they are building up will ensure the event will not happen. Those who want the event to happen also start to fear it will not happen.

The event invariably happens anyway.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
On another note, I'm curious if the ones saying Worlds should be canceled will keep the same energy by not watching the event. After all, you can send a message by not giving your view and keeping the boycotting energy to the end. I'm not saying they SHOULD not watch though.
I would be very surprised if any of those concerned people in fact boycotts the worlds by not watching.

Of course they will watch but I would expect a lot of coronavirus related comments from them. Like a serious outrage if Mishin doesn't wear a mask to their standards.

Last edited:

kan01

Final Flight
Country
Romania
And don't worry, luckily I have a lot of other things to do and keep me busy even if I willingly skip worlds. I'm not as emotionally invested in these unknown people as some on this website are, so luckily my happiness and gladness isn't hinged upon worlds going ahead. I sure hope, if worlds is canceled, your folk have that too :) Somehow, I don't get the impression.
I wish you all the best.

Last edited:

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
I would be very surprised if any of those concerned people in fact boycotts the worlds by not watching
This + 1
I’ve been around. It’s like with TV series and spin-offs. “Evil!” “It will fail because, we will not watch because [...]” (usually something to do with a popular actor or character not being around).

And yet, in the end... They will watch. If for no other reasons than 1. afraid they’re missing out on Good Stuff (they need to ‘support’ their fave skaters) and 2. so they can complain about how bad everything covid-related is handled.

I have a gazilion hobbies, so if Worlds were to be cancelled, pity, but whatever. But I want it to continue also for the skaters, who spend SO much of their life training for this, and a second year in a row cancelled would be so sad for this generation.

But, I am very positive it will go ahead, seeing as so far, all ISU events are going without a hitch.

kan01

Final Flight
Country
Romania
I have a gazilion hobbies, so if Worlds were to be cancelled, pity, but whatever. But I want it to continue also for the skaters, who spend SO much of their life training for this, and a second year in a row cancelled would be so sad for this generation.
Same, I survived 2020 being cancelled I'm pretty sure I'd survive 2021. :ROFLMAO:
You can call me selfish and that I should get a life, it doesn't affect me, I know in my heart and mind how I truly feel and think and my reasons. And it goes for the other side too even if I personally don't agree with them.

Amei

Record Breaker
I’ll have to look it up to confirm it but I think elite athletes are exempt from quarantine in Sweden. We have the same policy where I am.

Taking this from the RLT since my response is a bit off-topic of that thread - exemptions like this are why its so difficult to tell people to follow the obnoxious "covid protection" mandates. Apparently, elite athletes can't carry the virus from 1 country to another when going to a competition.

Is it true they aren't going to make anyone quarantine?

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I imagine the "cancel worlds" folks watching the show vigilant to catch any slip of the mask, any protocols not fully respected with the magnifying glass and the printed guidelines near them, but lowkey (or not so lowkey) thrilled when their faves are successful in their programs as much or more than the people who are happy for it to go ahead, lowkey and deep down glad it went ahead. :ROFLMAO:

And by the way, we are allowed to comment just as we are allowed to disagree and criticize what it's said, we're on a message board.

I am happy when people compete safely.
I don't believe that I have said anything that is worth "laughing" at. I could just as easily write something and insert a :rofl:emoji, but I don't see the point. Disagreeing for me does not include laughing at other posters. :shrug:

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This is much the same discussion seen on all other sports forums. An event is to be held during the pandemic. The forum commentariat declare it must not happen, convincing themselves the momentum they are building up will ensure the event will not happen. Those who want the event to happen also start to fear it will not happen.

The event invariably happens anyway.
Unless the government of the country where the event is scheduled cancels it.

kan01

Final Flight
Country
Romania
I am happy when people compete safely.
I don't believe that I have said anything that is worth "laughing" at. I could just as easily write something and insert a :rofl:emoji, but I don't see the point. Disagreeing does not mean that one laughs at other posters. :shrug:
I respect your point of view. I got a couple of "laughing likes" on my posts about "the issue" from someone disagreeing with me (in the sense of laughing at me and not because they thought I was funny) on this thread and you're right, it's not okay, I was wrong for posting that laughing emoji and (without thinking too much about it) doing what was done to me in here. It was an in the moment thing and I see how it's wrong and untasteful and I apologize. That being said, and regarding my post laughing, I still totally see fans criticizing every slightly, tiny wrong move during Worlds when it comes to safety guidelines and watching even though they want it cancelled badly. (how I expressed this opinion was untasteful though)

Last edited:

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Taking this from the RLT since my response is a bit off-topic of that thread - exemptions like this are why its so difficult to tell people to follow the obnoxious "covid protection" mandates. Apparently, elite athletes can't carry the virus from 1 country to another when going to a competition.

Is it true they aren't going to make anyone quarantine?
I think the argument is that the impracticality of two week quarantines on sports like football where they play every week. This is balanced by testing regimens where athletes get tested almost everyday essentially.

However this doesn’t really apply to the World Championships since there are no competitions before or after so I can’t see why they don’t want to quarantine.

However yeah there isn’t going to be a quarantine.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I respect your point of view. I got a couple of "laughing likes" on my posts about "the issue" from someone disagreeing with me (in the sense of laughing at me and not because they thought I was funny) on this thread and you're right, it's not okay, I was wrong for posting that laughing emoji and (without thinking too much about it) doing what was done to me in here. It was an in the moment thing and I see how it's wrong and untasteful and I apologize. That being said, and regarding my post laughing, I totally see fans criticizing every slightly tiny wrong move during Worlds when it comes to safety guidelines and watching even though they want it cancelled badly.

Thank you. I understand how you feel, and although I have a different point of view, I am not trying to be contrary or disrespectful :) Of course if Worlds goes through I will hope for the best, and I know at least one skater that I believe we both will be rooting for.;)

I do need to say that a momentary mask slip, OK, I understand, but coaches who don't appear to understand that their nasal passages are connected to their lungs as much as their mouth, it makes me wonder. I am a woman of a certain age and I have asthma and if I can wear a mask correctly, so can they. :biggrin:

ruga

Final Flight
I think the argument is that the impracticality of two week quarantines on sports like football where they play every week. This is balanced by testing regimens where athletes get tested almost everyday essentially.

However this doesn’t really apply to the World Championships since there are no competitions before or after so I can’t see why they don’t want to quarantine.

However yeah there isn’t going to be a quarantine.
I do get the argument of practicality and time management: skaters can't spend two weeks in a small hotel room and then go jump quads and skate at the highest level, so at least an additional week should be given to get back in form. It makes a 7 day event into a month long one. I guess it would make sense if the competition was in series format, such as Grand Prix. But this exemption is pretty standard, I haven't heard quarantine requirements in recent international events, such as Challenge Cup, TallinK Cup or Sofia Trophy either.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
There was no week or two weeks quarantine requirement at Challenge Cup, except for one day when skaters, coaches and everyone else had to await the result of the second testing. For example Mikhail had to wait for a second flight than planned, because he wouldn't even been allowed in without a negative test result before arriving and the results were not yet in when he planned to fly. And then he had to spend a day in his hotel room awaiting the second test result. Only, and only then, when that result was negative too, was he allowed to compete. And that applied to everyone. As did the protocols: mask wearing whenever there's others close by. But most skaters, including Mikhail, stuck to proper mask wearing even when it was not strictly necessary (because there was nobody nearby).

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Thank you. I understand how you feel, and although I have a different point of view, I am not trying to be contrary or disrespectful :) Of course if Worlds goes through I will hope for the best, and I know at least one skater that I believe we both will be rooting for.;)

I do need to say that a momentary mask slip, OK, I understand, but coaches who don't appear to understand that their nasal passages are connected to their lungs as much as their mouth, it makes me wonder. I am a woman of a certain age and I have asthma and if I can wear a mask correctly, so can they. :biggrin:
I LOVE it! :clap:I had to work at it but I found a mask that fits my face perfectly. Safe and effective. But I should stay out of public for awhile due to anger issues. There are those who refuse to buy or make or otherwise obtain a mask that doesnt slip below their nose. And there are those that wear their mask below their nose to basically bully others and be scoff laws...to show the world just how important they are. And how unimportant the rest of us are. I am so proud of our fast food franchise, Panda Express here near my house. Each and every employee is required to wear an issued mask. It is a full sized surgical mask that goes from the bridge of their nose to under their chin.

Skatesocs

Final Flight
But most skaters, including Mikhail, stuck to proper mask wearing even when it was not strictly necessary (because there was nobody nearby).​
Yes, and even if they didn't, it apparently doesn't matter, because some countries would rather direct vaccines to athletes than their at-risk categories.

This is a part of my problem by the way, if we're talking sanely about certain things, as I see you're doing, so I am simply directing it towards you, and not the others from your side. Hold skating events - non-essential, no matter how much someone "wants to compete"- and then say "it's their job, and they are taking a risk by going out so we need to vaccinate them", taking away essential resources from at-risk categories, well that's where I draw the line, personally. What they're doing is not important currently, these people are not more important than the doctors and nurses, but some will be getting vaccines anyway, before the people who need it. No one's need for entertainment or "love for sport" or "need to compete" is more important than correctly partitioning resources currently. And I expect if something like this were to affect anyone posting otherwise on this thread, they'd change their tune.

Oh, and BTW, to the person who used Challenge Cup to justify the athletes "live for these events" and they "weren't forced"... who went there exactly? Donovan Carillo who didn't have the TES mins for... Worlds? Mikhail Kolyada who didn't participate last season at all and needed practice at an international event for some unspecified reason? At least try to think of better reasons.​

Last edited:

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
“The person” might be me, and I don’t actually see you disproving my point.

You think these skaters train every day for X hours a day and spend so much time and energy, not to mention money on training, just for the heck of it? I don’t think so.

Skaters dream of becoming Worlds or Olympic champions. They have to qualify for these events. They know that. That’s how it works, that’s how it’s always been. So yes, they DO live for these competitions, and that includes the Challenge Cup. Cannot get where you want to be without going to other competitions to qualify. They live to compete while they still are young enough for it. Missing out on one Worlds isn't bad enough for them? What about missing out on *two* in a row?

These competitions are important to these people. You’re not going to convince me otherwise. Did someone put a knife to their throat to force them to go? I don’t know, I didn’t ask. But I’m very sure if given the choice, most of them wouldn’t hesitate to go to a competition to earn the scores they need. Especially not one run by the ISU which had already held a BIG ice skating event in the same country without any incidents.

DizzyFrenchie

Record Breaker
Yes, and even if they didn't, it apparently doesn't matter, because some countries would rather direct vaccines to athletes than their at-risk categories.

This is a part of my problem by the way, if we're talking sanely about certain things, as I see you're doing, so I am simply directing it towards you, and not the others from your side. Hold skating events - non-essential, no matter how much someone "wants to compete"- and then say "it's their job, and they are taking a risk by going out so we need to vaccinate them", taking away essential resources from at-risk categories, well that's where I draw the line, personally. What they're doing is not important currently, these people are not more important than the doctors and nurses, but some will be getting vaccines anyway, before the people who need it. No one's need for entertainment or "love for sport" or "need to compete" is more important than correctly partitioning resources currently. And I expect if something like this were to affect anyone posting otherwise on this thread, they'd change their tune.

Oh, and BTW, to the person who used Challenge Cup to justify the athletes "live for these events" and they "weren't forced"... who went there exactly? Donovan Carillo who didn't have the TES mins for... Worlds? Mikhail Kolyada who didn't participate last season at all and needed practice at an international event for some unspecified reason? At least try to think of better reasons.​
I wondered if Mikhail Kolyada didn't skip the Russian Cup Final for Challenger Cup, in order to have an experience of a championship without attendance and with all CoViD safety measures enforced (though he was at Sochi too). Which I would find wise. Of course it could be also the World standing question, but passing from 32d to 27th place (because of his total absence last season, and part of 2018-2019) may not be that interesting?

Last edited:

Tutto

Record Breaker
In his post CC interview Kolyada mentioned that he went there mainly to 'test' a Covid ruled international competition, and I sensed he especially found hard the isolation, not being able to prepare mentally in a normal way for competing having nothing to distract from thinking about competing, but also said he was glad to get that experience and have a clear idea of what awaits in Stockholm.

Status
Not open for further replies.