2021 Worlds are still on | Page 25 | Golden Skate

2021 Worlds are still on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amei

Record Breaker
Yes, and even if they didn't, it apparently doesn't matter, because some countries would rather direct vaccines to athletes than their at-risk categories.

This is a part of my problem by the way, if we're talking sanely about certain things, as I see you're doing, so I am simply directing it towards you, and not the others from your side. Hold skating events - non-essential, no matter how much someone "wants to compete"- and then say "it's their job, and they are taking a risk by going out so we need to vaccinate them", taking away essential resources from at-risk categories, well that's where I draw the line, personally. What they're doing is not important currently, these people are not more important than the doctors and nurses, but some will be getting vaccines anyway, before the people who need it. No one's need for entertainment or "love for sport" or "need to compete" is more important than correctly partitioning resources currently. And I expect if something like this were to affect anyone posting otherwise on this thread, they'd change their tune.

Oh, and BTW, to the person who used Challenge Cup to justify the athletes "live for these events" and they "weren't forced"... who went there exactly? Donovan Carillo who didn't have the TES mins for... Worlds? Mikhail Kolyada who didn't participate last season at all and needed practice at an international event for some unspecified reason? At least try to think of better reasons.​

Well distribution is just a difficult thing, at this point I think they should allow doctor offices get access to distribute vaccines to their patients because the widespread distribution is just a mess. For instance right now where I'm at, only people that are "at risk" groups are supposed to be prioritized for the vaccine, however there's no "proof" required to get on the list for an appointment, so any random person could actually get on the appointment waitlist and say they have an underlying condition even if they don't and get the vaccine. *I believe the reason that no proof can be requested due to HIPPA laws. And I've seen some arguments about who qualifies as priority for the vaccine is unfair; so our conversation on here is about athletes being prioritized by some countries is unfair as they aren't "at risk", well one of the arguments I've heard - is that people who smoked themselves into lung disease or ate themselves into obesity where Covid becomes a bigger problem for them are prioritized for the vaccine, why should someone that deliberately showed no regard for their own healthy be prioritized over people that make an effort to be healthy. So it's a mess however it goes and somebody is going to find an issue with it and be unhappy.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Does anybody know who will be in the final flights for all 4 events. I believe it is based on ranking points. Is that still the case?

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
In my province, vaccines are currently being distributed based on:
- working in certain positions in health care and
For workers, appointments are arranged by their employer, who is responsible for verifying eligibility. For eligibility based on age, proof is required.

They originally thought of doing something more elaborate, but it gets really complicated, both for verification and because of groups lobbying to have their members "moved up" the queue. Sometimes simpler is better.

Though when the phone lines opened today for appointments based on age, they received 1.7 million calls in 3 hours though there are only about 85,000 people eligible at this time. There is no explanation of whether the extra calls were from ineligible people or were "busy signal" calls from eligible ones.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Have any of the skaters performed in front of an actual audience this season?

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well distribution is just a difficult thing, at this point I think they should allow doctor offices get access to distribute vaccines to their patients because the widespread distribution is just a mess. For instance right now where I'm at, only people that are "at risk" groups are supposed to be prioritized for the vaccine, however there's no "proof" required to get on the list for an appointment, so any random person could actually get on the appointment waitlist and say they have an underlying condition even if they don't and get the vaccine. *I believe the reason that no proof can be requested due to HIPPA laws. And I've seen some arguments about who qualifies as priority for the vaccine is unfair; so our conversation on here is about athletes being prioritized by some countries is unfair as they aren't "at risk", well one of the arguments I've heard - is that people who smoked themselves into lung disease or ate themselves into obesity where Covid becomes a bigger problem for them are prioritized for the vaccine, why should someone that deliberately showed no regard for their own healthy be prioritized over people that make an effort to be healthy. So it's a mess however it goes and somebody is going to find an issue with it and be unhappy.

I agree that distribution through doctor's offices would seem to make the most sense.

I do have an issue with healthy young athletes getting the vaccine over older, at-risk people. Of course, Spousal Unit is 1A, so that influences me :). I would be pretty darn ticked if some young healthy figure skater got the vaccine before him.

I don't find the fact that some folks may "game the system" to be persuasive. Just because eight folks run a red light without issue doesn't mean I want everyone else to keep running that red light. Some folks will always get away with breaking the law, it doesn't mean we abandon laws.🤷‍♀️

And if a young person is going to get a vaccine, better it should be the cashier at my local store, the stockist at my local warehouse, a server at a restaurant. They all have a claim over a figure skater, no matter how much I love figure skating.

Skatesocs

Final Flight
I do not see why you are citing American laws and rhetoric for an Italian athlete, nor do I see why such rhetoric matters when this athlete was simply not supposed to be part of their risk groups, and therefore not supposed to get the vaccine.

ETA: And if the point was to say that we cannot control who gets the vaccine even if there are rules laid out, then I agree with @el henry, I don't see why I shouldn't take issue with some people thinking they are above those rules, and promote supposed reasons for them to break those rules even more. I do not believe any skater can cure people through their skating or "need to skate", even if they thought it was a reason to push into line before doctors or nurses.

Last edited:

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Does anybody know who will be in the final flights for all 4 events. I believe it is based on ranking points. Is that still the case?
Hopefully, I've got them correct:

Ladies:
Final Group
Rika Kihira
Bradie Tennell
Anna Shcherbakova
Alexandra Trusova
Kaori Sakamoto
Satoko Miyahara

Penultimate Group
Elizaveta Tuktamysheva
Ekaterina Ryabova
Yelim Kim
Alexia Paganini
Nicole Schott
Eva-Lotta Kiibus

Men:
Final Group
Yuzuru Hanyu
Nathan Chen
Matteo Rizzo
Jason Brown
Daniel Grassl
Morisi Kvitelashvili

Penultimate Group
Shoma Uno
Junhwan Cha
Boyang Jin
Keegan Messing
Kevin Aymoz
Deniss Vassiljevs

Pairs:
Final Group
Peng/Jin
Tarasova/Morozov
Moore-Towers/Marinaro
Boikova/Kozlovskii

Penultimate Group
Sui/Han
Ziegler/Kiefer
Della Monica/Guarise
Mishina/Galliamov

Ice Dance:
Final Group
Sinitsina/Katsalapov
Guignard/Fabbri
Hubbell/Donohue
Gilles/Poirier
Chock/Bates

Penultimate Group
Stepanova/Bukin
Fear/Gibson
Wang/Liu
Kaliszek/Spodyriev
Hurtado/Khaliavin

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
In my province, vaccines are currently being distributed based on:
- working in certain positions in health care and
For workers, appointments are arranged by their employer, who is responsible for verifying eligibility. For eligibility based on age, proof is required.

They originally thought of doing something more elaborate, but it gets really complicated, both for verification and because of groups lobbying to have their members "moved up" the queue. Sometimes simpler is better.

Though when the phone lines opened today for appointments based on age, they received 1.7 million calls in 3 hours though there are only about 85,000 people eligible at this time. There is no explanation of whether the extra calls were from ineligible people or were "busy signal" calls from eligible ones.

I feel your pain. My wife and I got lucky....and have our shots.... but it took many hours to learn how to contact what entity when and how. When was obvious that 4,000 shots would disappear in literally seconds, and in one case minus 10 minutes....mom and pop would recruit an army of friends and family to call or get on line for them. It was in every sense the "Hunger Games" and it still is. I predict that baring further manufacturing difficulties, in the US, in 60-80 days, finding a shot will be no big deal. The really sad thing is that computer software that lets people enter a randomized que that is prioritized for age is trivial. I agree that the brave health care workers needed to be prioritized. I do not agree that Pot shop workers are more important than grocery store workers or you name it. BTW, there are 74 Vaxes in the works. To see where each and every one is in the process, and their peculiatrities, you have to do alot of scrolling. https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/science/coronavirus-vaccine-tracker.html

DenissVFan

Medalist
Wasn't Matteo vaccinated by virtue of being a police officer and not an athlete? I know these two are tied in Italy, but it's doubtful he was prioritised on account of simply being an athlete.

Skatesocs

Final Flight
Wasn't Matteo vaccinated by virtue of being a police officer and not an athlete? I know these two are tied in Italy, but it's doubtful he was prioritised on account of simply being an athlete.
As the tweets of the person go on to say, https://twitter.com/FedUpLys/status/1368518673070235648 https://twitter.com/FedUpLys/status/1368534927524954112

Maybe he got it as a "police officer", but he wasn't priority, and he's a police officer only so far as he's part of a sporting team from what can be seen there. Why is it being done like this? Maybe it's more of a general question about how vaccines are being given out across the world. There are multiple "army sports teams" across the world, I'd definitely hate to see *that* being used as an excuse to hand out vaccines to athletes - heck on equal priority to on-field officers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Giu

DenissVFan

Medalist
As the tweets of the person go on to say, https://twitter.com/FedUpLys/status/1368518673070235648 https://twitter.com/FedUpLys/status/1368534927524954112

Maybe he got it as a "police officer", but he wasn't priority, and he's a police officer only so far as he's part of a sporting team from what can be seen there. Why is it being done like this? Maybe it's more of a general question about how vaccines are being given out across the world. There are multiple "army sports teams" across the world, I'd definitely hate to see *that* being used as an excuse to hand out vaccines to athletes - heck on equal priority to on-field officers.
This is a question to the Italian government – or all governments. Some people may get the impression that he jumped the queue, while he most likely was considered eligible – whether this is fair is another matter (unfortunately many countries seem to have forgotten that cashiers etc. exist).

Andrea82

Medalist

Given how dysfunctional the vaccination campaign is in his region, I wouldn't be surprised if they had downloaded the whole list of the army/police staff without noticing who was frontline and who isn't.

starlight97

Final Flight
Hopefully, I've got them correct:

Ladies:
Final Group
Rika Kihira
Bradie Tennell
Anna Shcherbakova
Alexandra Trusova
Kaori Sakamoto
Satoko Miyahara

Penultimate Group
Elizaveta Tuktamysheva
Ekaterina Ryabova
Yelim Kim
Alexia Paganini
Nicole Schott
Eva-Lotta Kiibus

Men:
Final Group
Yuzuru Hanyu
Nathan Chen
Matteo Rizzo
Jason Brown
Daniel Grassl
Morisi Kvitelashvili

Penultimate Group
Shoma Uno
Junhwan Cha
Boyang Jin
Keegan Messing
Kevin Aymoz
Deniss Vassiljevs

Pairs:
Final Group
Peng/Jin
Tarasova/Morozov
Moore-Towers/Marinaro
Boikova/Kozlovskii

Penultimate Group
Sui/Han
Ziegler/Kiefer
Della Monica/Guarise
Mishina/Galliamov

Ice Dance:
Final Group
Sinitsina/Katsalapov
Guignard/Fabbri
Hubbell/Donohue
Gilles/Poirier
Chock/Bates

Penultimate Group
Stepanova/Bukin
Fear/Gibson
Wang/Liu
Kaliszek/Spodyriev
Hurtado/Khaliavin
Sorry for the uninformed question, I don't follow Ice Dance: why aren't the French in either of these groups? Aren't they top of the world? So I assume they voluntarily won't participate?

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I feel your pain. My wife and I got lucky....and have our shots.... but it took many hours to learn how to contact what entity when and how.
The thing is, all that calling within the first hour was unnecessary. There are plenty of appointments left, and the next group won't be allowed to book for another week. My feeling is that if they don't have enough appointments for people in the first group during "their week" , they will just book them for the following week. So when the second group calls, they will get appointments following those blocked off for the first group.

I heard from two different sources that in Washington, where you live, the vaccine has been distributed or allotted to hundreds of locations/clinics, and you have to approach each one separately to get an appointment.

I prefer the centalized system, even though it risks being swamped. I have heard lots of stories about people having trouble getting through in the first 2 hours, but no stories (so far) of people who haven't been able to get appointments. There are 4 more days for the first group to call.

We haven't personally been affected yet. My husband isn't eligible to call until Mar 22, and I will be after that. We may wait a few hours or a day before calling; no sense joining a mob if everyone will be served and it's just a matter of waiting a day or two for the shot.

The only people I know who are eligible have their appointment; a granddaughter called for them. Their confirmation email is dated a little over an hour after the lines opened, and the appointment itself is for the first day of the clinic.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

This is a question to the Italian government – or all governments. Some people may get the impression that he jumped the queue, while he most likely was considered eligible – whether this is fair is another matter (unfortunately many countries seem to have forgotten that cashiers etc. exist).

And Italy (and France) blocked the export of 250,000 doses of the AstraZenica vaccine to Australia.

Most Australians are accepting this as a "well, they're more screwed than we are" attitude. I wonder how quickly that would change if our media got hold of the fact that they're vaccinating athletes under bogus guises...

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
The thing is, all that calling within the first hour was unnecessary. There are plenty of appointments left, and the next group won't be allowed to book for another week. My feeling is that if they don't have enough appointments for people in the first group during "their week" , they will just book them for the following week. So when the second group calls, they will get appointments following those blocked off for the first group.

I heard from two different sources that in Washington, where you live, the vaccine has been distributed or allotted to hundreds of locations/clinics, and you have to approach each one separately to get an appointment.

I prefer the centalized system, even though it risks being swamped. I have heard lots of stories about people having trouble getting through in the first 2 hours, but no stories (so far) of people who haven't been able to get appointments. There are 4 more days for the first group to call.

We haven't personally been affected yet. My husband isn't eligible to call until Mar 22, and I will be after that. We may wait a few hours or a day before calling; no sense joining a mob if everyone will be served and it's just a matter of waiting a day or two for the shot.

The only people I know who are eligible have their appointment; a granddaughter called for them. Their confirmation email is dated a little over an hour after the lines opened, and the appointment itself is for the first day of the clinic.
Wow. Sounds like someone came up with a better system than our "Hunger Games". (y)
Spokane Max Vax center. (some of the numbers are probably off but not what happened.
Week one. Phone lines and computer system crashed during the games for the first allotment. Three seconds. People who didnt really have appointments showed up the first vax day and were given the vax meant for others. Including Idahoans.
Week two. We were told all was fixed for the next allotment. Log onto the website at 5 pm Monday for one of the next 4,000 doses. I tried logging in at 4:50, was put into a secret que with a number of 7,000...an hour later, I was told to log off....
Week three. 4,000 doses. We were told that the que would be randomized and that at 5pm, we would be given a number. I got a number but it was too high again. CHAS, a medical group, was running the program and they refused to obey orders to check driver's licenses, so they were giving doses to Idahoans. CHAS was fired and now Safeway is running the Max vax site. Luckily, My wife got a appointment through multi care medical group and I got mine at a national Kroger dot com website. Now that POTUS has reccommended that teachers get vaxed, they are getting part of the state allotment and the old people are still playing hunger games. Instead of registering at one website and getting an email to show up at this place at that time or call to get a new assignment, old people who can barely log into email if that are having to log into or call 12-20 entities. We all saw the pics of Floridians standing in line in the hot sun for 7 hours....(Here is a Meme I put up on FB some weeks back) a hunger games.jpg

rollerblade

Record Breaker
And Italy (and France) blocked the export of 250,000 doses of the AstraZenica vaccine to Australia.

Most Australians are accepting this as a "well, they're more screwed than we are" attitude. I wonder how quickly that would change if our media got hold of the fact that they're vaccinating athletes under bogus guises...

karne, do you personally want the AZ vaccine? Many countries are kinda shunning it. New Zealand, is going with Pfizer only, the more (most?) expensive option.

I've read quite a few cases of line-cutting... some legit, others not so much. In my state's mass vaccination site (drive-thru), they are giving volunteers a jab at the end of the day. Those are mostly from leftover doses from thawed vials. There was someone who drove their elderly parent to get vaccinated, and was offered a shot as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.