2022–23 Canadian Figure Skating | Page 10 | Golden Skate

2022–23 Canadian Figure Skating

Status
Not open for further replies.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Not necessarily. Skaters who do the JGP aren't allowed to do the senior GP, but they can do Euros/4CCs/Worlds. Lia Pereira is being sent to Finlandia, so she'll have a chance to get her senior minimums. Skate Canada has three more CS events on the calendar (IceChallenge, Warsaw Cup and Golden Spin) for November and December, so they could send a couple other girls out to those. We'll have to see.
i am curious to hear your take on giving out the host spot to Kate Wang instead of anyone from Canada ...

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
i am curious to hear your take on giving out the host spot to Kate Wang instead of anyone from Canada ...
Well, they didn't give Kate a host spot, technically. They chose not the use the host spot after the women they'd picked withdrew, and then picked someone on the replacement list rather than leave the spot empty. Functionally, it's pretty much the same thing, I know, but I don't think the focus should be on Kate Wang and her merits (not saying you were, just that I've seen that).

I'd have preferred they give it to a Canadian women, of course, but I also understand that the options were limited. I think that if Lia Pereira hadn't already competed on the JGP, if they'd known this spot was open a few months ago, they might have given it to her. She's the oldest of our JGP women, she has some experience having done the JGP and JW, and they've given her a senior CS assignment this fall. But she's not available. Nor are Sara-Maude Dupuis or Justine Miclette. We know Kaiya's been injured. If she's ready to go and wanted to do the GP, then I would rather have her than Kate, obviously. But she's just coming back after multiple injuries and a long time not competing. I know she did a domestic comp this weekend, but that's not the same as a GP. So maybe a spot at SC wouldn't be the best thing for her. Hard to say without knowing the details.

You've suggested Fiona Bombardier I believe. I don't know if I'd be in favour of that. I definitely want to see our skaters get more experience and opportunities, but I also think you have to be careful about throwing people into the deep end. According to her ISU bio, Fiona has had one international competition, and never even done a JGP. Yes that's on SC, but going from one single junior B event to a senior grand prix would be a big jump. She's been competing junior domestically this summer and had decent results (139.48 at the NextGen simulation, 130.75 in Quebec), but not as good as several of the other junior women. They aren't available because they've done the JGP, but the point is that I'd be concerned about taking someone with almost no international experience, who wasn't even at the top of our juniors, and throwing her into a senior GP. Maybe it would go fine and be really valuable experience for her. If they'd picked her I would be supportive, but I also understand why they wouldn't want to go that direction.

So that leaves the senior women. We haven't seen Alicia Pineault, and I think they'd be considering her if she was available. So I'm assuming she wasn't an option. So there are the summer competitions. Amanda Tobin got 152.98 at the July Skate Ontario event (when you combine SP and FS), and scored 132.38 at Cranberry International. Katherine Medland-Spence got 148.04 at the August event and 123.03 at the July event. Audréanne Foster got 148.83 at Souvenir Georges-Éthier, 151.15 at the Quebec summer event skating junior, and 116.78 at the NextGen event. Those are the three who stood out to me when looking at all the summer results (+ Uliana Shiryaeva, but she's not been released by Russia). Audréanne has done a JGP, and has at least done a senior domestic competition, but you could have the same concerns with her as with Fiona. They could have picked Amanda or Katherine. That's probably what I'd do.

I think, to me, the bigger problem is not sending these skaters out to Challengers and Senior Bs. I understand why they might decide none of them are ready for a senior GP, based on their scores (I mention scores because if someone was out getting huge domestic scores, they'd send her regardless) and lack of international experience. Thinking that maybe the GP isn't the best place to start getting that experience. I think that would be a valid position, if if I didn't necessarily agree. But I at least want to see more CS and B event assignments. Sylvia from Unseen Skaters posted on FSU that she thinks Fiona will be going to IceChallenge in Austria in November, based on an Instagram story from her coaches (not clear on whether it'll be as a junior or senior). Skate Canada also has Warsaw Cup and Golden Spin on the international assignments page, so hopefully some other women will be sent out (seniors or juniors). Skate Canada normally sends at least of couple of girls to junior B events in the fall, and they've already given Lia a Challenger (possibly due to her strong result at Cranberry). I'd like to see Justine Miclette get one as well. And hopefully others.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
so we pretty much agree... the simple fact that they are not sending our skaters to challengers means that whenever someone from the national team is injured and cannot compete, Skate Canada is screwed....

it's two spots this year that are gone... the one in women, and the one in pairs... i am okay with the one in pairs because i understand that they are doing their best here.... with so many teams retiring and the last minute drop out of Walsh. But yeah... women, just send one... and tell her, we just don't want to waste the spot so enjoy yourself... do a nice SP and don't worry about placement.. it's experience ;) Even when they sent "good skaters" or more experienced ones, they finished in the bottom.. so nothing new there ;) I don't think Fiona or Amanda or Katherine would be too upset.... I think it's important to frame these experiences.... "you got nothing to lose" is sometimes a good approach... but oh well.. what is done is done.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I wonder if they gave it to Kate as a swap for L/E getting a pairs spot at SA.
only explanation i am willing to accept :) some sort of swap.. i don't recall when L/E got that spot... was it before or after they got W/M's spot?

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Well, they didn't give Kate a host spot, technically. They chose not the use the host spot after the women they'd picked withdrew, and then picked someone on the replacement list rather than leave the spot empty. Functionally, it's pretty much the same thing, I know, but I don't think the focus should be on Kate Wang and her merits (not saying you were, just that I've seen that).

I'd have preferred they give it to a Canadian women, of course, but I also understand that the options were limited. I think that if Lia Pereira hadn't already competed on the JGP, if they'd known this spot was open a few months ago, they might have given it to her. She's the oldest of our JGP women, she has some experience having done the JGP and JW, and they've given her a senior CS assignment this fall. But she's not available. Nor are Sara-Maude Dupuis or Justine Miclette. We know Kaiya's been injured. If she's ready to go and wanted to do the GP, then I would rather have her than Kate, obviously. But she's just coming back after multiple injuries and a long time not competing. I know she did a domestic comp this weekend, but that's not the same as a GP. So maybe a spot at SC wouldn't be the best thing for her. Hard to say without knowing the details.

You've suggested Fiona Bombardier I believe. I don't know if I'd be in favour of that. I definitely want to see our skaters get more experience and opportunities, but I also think you have to be careful about throwing people into the deep end. According to her ISU bio, Fiona has had one international competition, and never even done a JGP. Yes that's on SC, but going from one single junior B event to a senior grand prix would be a big jump. She's been competing junior domestically this summer and had decent results (139.48 at the NextGen simulation, 130.75 in Quebec), but not as good as several of the other junior women. They aren't available because they've done the JGP, but the point is that I'd be concerned about taking someone with almost no international experience, who wasn't even at the top of our juniors, and throwing her into a senior GP. Maybe it would go fine and be really valuable experience for her. If they'd picked her I would be supportive, but I also understand why they wouldn't want to go that direction.

So that leaves the senior women. We haven't seen Alicia Pineault, and I think they'd be considering her if she was available. So I'm assuming she wasn't an option. So there are the summer competitions. Amanda Tobin got 152.98 at the July Skate Ontario event (when you combine SP and FS), and scored 132.38 at Cranberry International. Katherine Medland-Spence got 148.04 at the August event and 123.03 at the July event. Audréanne Foster got 148.83 at Souvenir Georges-Éthier, 151.15 at the Quebec summer event skating junior, and 116.78 at the NextGen event. Those are the three who stood out to me when looking at all the summer results (+ Uliana Shiryaeva, but she's not been released by Russia). Audréanne has done a JGP, and has at least done a senior domestic competition, but you could have the same concerns with her as with Fiona. They could have picked Amanda or Katherine. That's probably what I'd do.

I think, to me, the bigger problem is not sending these skaters out to Challengers and Senior Bs. I understand why they might decide none of them are ready for a senior GP, based on their scores (I mention scores because if someone was out getting huge domestic scores, they'd send her regardless) and lack of international experience. Thinking that maybe the GP isn't the best place to start getting that experience. I think that would be a valid position, if if I didn't necessarily agree. But I at least want to see more CS and B event assignments. Sylvia from Unseen Skaters posted on FSU that she thinks Fiona will be going to IceChallenge in Austria in November, based on an Instagram story from her coaches (not clear on whether it'll be as a junior or senior). Skate Canada also has Warsaw Cup and Golden Spin on the international assignments page, so hopefully some other women will be sent out (seniors or juniors). Skate Canada normally sends at least of couple of girls to junior B events in the fall, and they've already given Lia a Challenger (possibly due to her strong result at Cranberry). I'd like to see Justine Miclette get one as well. And hopefully others.
Very thorough analysis. Just to add… I think athletes like Kaiya don’t move up to Seniors is because she is more competitive in the Juniors division. This year, there is only one spot for Worlds, which will most likely go to Maddie. But, there are two spots for Junior Worlds. I think Kaiya is focusing on qualifying to Junior Worlds. By the way, her free skate is really strong. But, she seems to be under rotating her triples and messing up on spins. She should get better as the season progresses.

Also, I just want to mention that I live in BC and there is a new girl from Russia, as you mentioned, Uliana, who skates in the same camp as Kara Yun. They both do 3Lz 3T and I think these two will push each other to improve. Their technical difficulty is there. They just need to work on spins and artistry. It will be interesting to see when Uliana transfers. I think she will be eligible next year. So, Maddie better turn it up. As, there are some eager Juniors and transfers on the horizon.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Very thorough analysis. Just to add… I think athletes like Kaiya don’t move up to Seniors is because she is more competitive in the Juniors division. This year, there is only one spot for Worlds, which will most likely go to Maddie. But, there are two spots for Junior Worlds. I think Kaiya is focusing on qualifying to Junior Worlds. By the way, her free skate is really strong. But, she seems to be under rotating her triples and messing up on spins. She should get better as the season progresses.

Also, I just want to mention that I live in BC and there is a new girl from Russia, as you mentioned, Uliana, who skates in the same camp as Kara Yun. They both do 3Lz 3T and I think these two will push each other to improve. Their technical difficulty is there. They just need to work on spins and artistry. It will be interesting to see when Uliana transfers. I think she will be eligible next year. So, Maddie better turn it up. As, there are some eager Juniors and transfers on the horizon.
Uliana just needs a release... which she doesn't really need because she's never competed internationally.
And as far as Junior worlds are concerned... a skater can do senior GP and do junior worlds... they can even do both junior and senior worlds...
the only combo that is not allowed is JGP and senior GP... so if Ruitter had been in shape, she definitely could have done Skate Canada, and junior worlds.. but at this point, I guess they are focusing on Nationals.

Sackie

Medalist
But yeah... women, just send one... and tell her, we just don't want to waste the spot so enjoy yourself... do a nice SP and don't worry about placement.. it's experience ;) Even when they sent "good skaters" or more experienced ones, they finished in the bottom.. so nothing new there ;) I don't think Fiona or Amanda or Katherine would be too upset.... I think it's important to frame these experiences.... "you got nothing to lose" is sometimes a good approach... but oh well.. what is done is done.
Amanda had a good showing in the short at Cranberry- in fact she had the 3rd highest TEC score. Her performance skills will only go up as she gets out in front of international judges more. And like you say 4everchan; as long as they know they are being sent just for experience and not results who does it hurt. And again like you say it is not like they have not sent skaters with more experience like Veronik and Juliane and even Katelyn who finished in the bottom two.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
some hardware for Ben and Brooke.
Good RD for Canadians junior in Gdanks (all 3 teams did very well, including first place for BB)
Conrad... oh son... not your day....

Hetty Shi : very good debut skate. Nice skater. One to watch for the future.

Ruthypegs

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
I enjoyed Anthony Paradis's skating at the JGP in Gdansk yesterday - an interesting, unique and expressive skater - looking forward to seeing him in future.
Fantastic free programme today at Gdansk - Anthony has phenomenal flexibility and passion. I'm a new fan. He clearly has a lot of fans in the audience, too. Definitely a future star.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Did Lea get her Short Mins at Finlandia?
not for worlds but for 4cc

Sackie

Medalist
Well 4CC is probably the only ones she needs for now - unless something happens to Maddie. Boy just had a thought - if something does happen to Maddie we are in bad shape with our ladies, unless Gabby can come back strong this season.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Well 4CC is probably the only ones she needs for now - unless something happens to Maddie. Boy just had a thought - if something does happen to Maddie we are in bad shape with our ladies, unless Gabby can come back strong this season.
Maddie will be fine. Gabby will be fine... Everything will be fine :)

Status
Not open for further replies.