2022-2023 Italian Figure Skating | Golden Skate

2022-2023 Italian Figure Skating

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
With the announcement of the GPs and a number of Italian skaters getting assignments, I thought it would only be fair for them to have their own thread this season so we can discuss all our favourite Italian skaters and their news!

GPs 2022-2023

Skate AmericaSkate CanadaGrand Prix de FranceMK John Wilson TrophyNHK TrophyGrand Prix of EspooGrand Prix Final
Women
Men4th Daniel Grassl🥉 Matteo Rizzo🥇 Daniel Grassl9th Gabriele Frangipani
6th Matteo Rizzo
6th Daniel Grassl
Pairs5th Anna Valesi/Manuel Piazza🥉Sara Conti/Niccolo Macii4th Rebecca Ghilardi/Filippo Ambrosini🥈Sara Conti/Niccolo Macii
5th Irma Caldara/Riccardo Maglio
4th Irma Caldara/Riccardo Maglio🥇 Rebecca Ghilardi/Filippo Ambrosini
7th Anna Valesi/Manuel Piazza
🥉 Sara Conti/Niccolo Macii
5th Rebecca Ghilardi/Filippo Ambrosini
Ice Dance🥇 Charlene Guignard/Marco Fabbri🥇Charlene Guignard/Marco Fabbri🥉 Charlene Guignard/Marco Fabbri

Highlights of Last Season:
Challenger Series:
Guignard/Fabbri won both Lombardia and Cup of Austria, as well as winning the series for ice dance. Grassl won Lombardia and picked up a silver at Warsaw Cup, placing 4th in the series overall.
Grand Prixes: G/F won 2 silvers and a place in the (cancelled) GPF, while Grassl won bronze at GP D'Italia.
2022 Europeans: Grassl won silver while G/F claimed their second career bronze with Ghilardi/Ambrosini placing 5th and Conti/Macii placing 7th in pairs.
2022 Olympics: Italy placed 7th in the team event. G/F came 5th in ice dance, equalling the second best result for an Italian ice dance team (beaten only by FP/M's bronze in 2002).
2022 Worlds: G/F placed a career-best 4th, both Grassl and Rizzo made the top-10 while Lara Naki Gutmann placed 20th in the women's event.
2022 Junior Worlds: up-and-coming man Nikolaj Memola placed 7th while Anna Pezzetta climbed 15 places in the women's event to place 13th.

Retirements, Splits, Injuries etc.
Nicole Della Monica announced her retirement and thus the end of her partnership with Matteo Guarise. He is reportedly looking for a new partner.
Caroline Portesi Peroni was injured shortly after Nebelhorn Trophy but has since returned to the ice.
Alessia Tornaghi was suffering with tendonitis and announced she'd be resting and recovering.
Calderari/Cilli announced their split and she is looking for a new partner.
Moscheni/Fioretti announced their retirement.

Current National Champions:
Sr. Women:
Lara Naki Gutmann - Jr. Women: Amanda Ghezzo
Sr. Men: Daniel Grassl - Jr. Men: Nikolaj Memola
Sr. Pairs: Nicole Della Monica/Matteo Guarise - Jr. Pairs: Alyssa Montan/Manuel Piazza
Sr. Ice Dance: Charlene Guignard/Marco Fabbri - Jr. Ice Dance: Nicole Calderari/Marco Cilli

I'll update this post with information and results as the season progresses! Good luck to all of Team Italy :cheer:

Last edited:

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Congratulations to Leia Dozzi and Pietro Papetti for the silver medal at the 2022 Lake Placid Ice Dance Championships!
They scored 165.66 total (62.84 RD, 102.82 FD) in what was (I believe?) their competition debut. Unfortunately, there's no videos available, so I hope we can actually see them in competition soon, perhaps assigned to Lombardia Trophy?

Andrea82

Medalist
Congratulations to Leia Dozzi and Pietro Papetti for the silver medal at the 2022 Lake Placid Ice Dance Championships!
They scored 165.66 total (62.84 RD, 102.82 FD) in what was (I believe?) their competition debut. Unfortunately, there's no videos available, so I hope we can actually see them in competition soon, perhaps assigned to Lombardia Trophy?

They competed at last year's Nationals "out of ranking". A sort of non-competititve competition! They were scored though (IIRC their score was at the same level of Leccardi/Della Torre).
I wonder if the fact they skated at the Lake Placid "domestic" competition rather than at the international event means she has not been fully released yet.

Edit:
Looking at the entry "by numbers" on FISG calendar section, I see one senior ice dance assigned to the USA Challenger in Lake Placid. I guess it may be them. It would be rather logical logistically.

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
may we find hour own Caterina Sforzas

Why go back 500-odd years to find a Caterina Sforza? I'd be happy enough with a Sofia Sforza...!!! ;) :biggrin:

[Although there are more recent videos of her, I deliberately linked to her 2013/14 FD with Fioretti, because I know how much you like ⛪ ! :) ]​

...but I'd be even happier with her sister-in-law!!! :love: :love: :love:

Yes, I had a crush on the skater that is now married to Sofia's brother.

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
JGP Assignments so far:

ISU JGP Courchevel 2022

Men: Tommaso BARISON
Women: Elena AGOSTINELLI

ISU JGP Czech Skate 2022

Men: Nikolaj MEMOLA

ISU JGP Riga Cup 2022

Men: Matteo NALBONE
Ice Dance: Giorgia GALIMBERTI / Matteo Libasse MANDELLI

Andrea82

Medalist
JGP Assignments so far:

ISU JGP Courchevel 2022

Men: Tommaso BARISON
Women: Elena AGOSTINELLI

ISU JGP Czech Skate 2022

Men: Nikolaj MEMOLA

ISU JGP Riga Cup 2022

Men: Matteo NALBONE
Ice Dance: Giorgia GALIMBERTI / Matteo Libasse MANDELLI

In Men Italy have 1 spot in all 7 stages. However, in Egna they can actually enter 3 skaters because they are the organizers. It means they have 9 potential spots in total.
Zich is listed as alternate in the first 3 events. So I would expect Memola, Zich, Nalbone Barison and Barison getting 2 JGPs each. Let's see if they will use the 9th spot. Indelicato aged out (born on November 2002), while Aiden Buttiero Khorev is too young (11 years old). I suppose the main contender for that spot would be Gabriel Renaldi if he is still skating.

In Women, they have 1 spot in 6 events (missing Riga). Effectively it means 9 spots (with 3 entries in Egna). Agostinelli and Minighini got the first stages. Alternates for Courchevel and Ostrava are Anna Bodrone and Ester Schwarz. Assuming that Anna Pezzetta will get 2 spots, the other spots will go to those 4 girls with one limited to only one JGP.

Pairs: do we have one pair?! Montan/Clerici split and he is now skating with Väänänen (sitting out for one season).

Ice Dance: 1 spot in 5 events + 2 extra in Egna mean 7 spots overall. However, Bonetti/Ventura were entered in Courchevel and already withdrew without being replaced. The fact there aren't alternates for Galimberti/Mandelli in Riga is not encouraging.
I see Tali/Frasca updated their ISU bios with new programs (Piazzolla...), so they are still active.
Kirichenko/Pellegrini are still together? They didn't compete in last part of last season either.
Finelli/Fadini were in the recent group pics of BFP's summer camps.

pete

On the Ice
Alessia, Daniel and Dozzi/Papetti will be competing at U.S. Classic

Is Alessia also training in the US now? Don't know why she would fly that far when there are so many challengers in Europe

Andrea82

Medalist
Alessia, Daniel and Dozzi/Papetti will be competing at U.S. Classic

Is Alessia also training in the US now? Don't know why she would fly that far when there are so many challengers in Europe

I think so. Her latest IG post looks from Boston as she tags Marilena Kitromilis as the shooter of the video

Status
Not open for further replies.