2022-23 Coaching, Country and Discipline changes | Page 8 | Golden Skate

2022-23 Coaching, Country and Discipline changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

theblade

On the Ice
Is there a ruling somewhere about the length o time they can hold on to skaters?
Good question. And also, do individual countries have the same rule, or does each country have their own rules? Thinking about what's going on with the American senior ice dancers, Flores and Desyatov.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
No, I just don’t know why anyone would want to be the 100th out of 100 IAM teams. Isn’t anyone else sick of them? Just me? Ok.
You mean sick of the Browns?

Thinking about what's going on with the American senior ice dancers, Flores and Desyatov.
What do you mean about "what's going on with Flores/ Desyatov"?

Last edited:

yyzskater

On the Ice
Well... it will be interesting... I have, of course, some ideas.... but there are a few teams that (don't hate me or do if you wish) I hope wouldn't get released.... Canada has left quite a lot of young/junior promising talent move away recently. We have dancers skating for New Zealand, Australia and Korea for instance, all of them are young and good teams. One of these teams beat our National Junior Champs at JWC. Canada has tons of "natural resources" in ice dance... but letting go too many teams at the same time could backfire, especially as some of our great teams are getting closer and closer to retirement. Skate Canada should make sure that they keep competitive teams in all "generations". Skate Canada, is investing on this young talent with the next gen... they also supported 9 senior ice dance teams last year on the National team. Not too long ago, Canada barely had more than one competitive team on the circuit every year. The popularity and success of ice dance in Canada, probably comes from the great career of Virtue and Moir as well as great training centers. Skate Canada is smart to keep a hold on some of its best talents, and as I said, have let many skaters switch countries even recently.

I won't go into speculation about the "wait next year" but I can see a few reasons about this, if it is true. (sorry, I get you are an insider and that you are not inventing this, but i am always careful about "rumours" until things are revealed by the skaters themselves), Ultimately, as a fan, I do not expect to ever find the many versions of a complicated story... but all I can say is that if Skate Canada was willing to let Lim and Quan, Charlotte and Jason skate for other countries as they are very talented young dancers, they cannot be all evil.
But many of these teams never represented Canada internationally so they did not have to request a release from Skate Canada (ie. Lim & Quan). So Skate Canada did not "let them go". They never had a say in the first place.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
But many of these teams never represented Canada internationally so they did not have to request a release from Skate Canada (ie. Lim & Quan). So Skate Canada did not "let them go". They never had a say in the first place.
I don't know the administrative mechanics of it all... and I am very aware that these skaters didn't represent Canada internationally. What I am saying is that they still trained in the Skate Canada system, competed domestically, and so on... These moves, though they may not require releases are probably well crafted by the coaching environment, the new fed, and with the support of Skate Canada. This sport is so political that skaters and coaches are probably working things out with all involved to make it smooth and positive of a transition to the new federation. Again, I am thinking that there are behind the scenes deals even if there is no need for a formal release, just like when changing coaches...people in such a small, political field cannot create enemies... and they are better getting the support of everyone when planning such a bold move.

Last edited:

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Good luck to Nikolaj! It's good to see he can continue his career in a way he enjoys while letting his injury heal.
It's going to be exciting for Sweden next season, with Andreas Nordeback in men (I think he's going senior?), Josefin Taljegård in women (praying she continues, her skating gives me so much joy), the Crafoords in pairs, and now Nikolaj and his partner in ice dance. :coffee:

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
Good luck to Nikolaj! It's good to see he can continue his career in a way he enjoys while letting his injury heal.
It's going to be exciting for Sweden next season, with Andreas Nordeback in men (I think he's going senior?), Josefin Taljegård in women (praying she continues, her skating gives me so much joy), the Crafoords in pairs, and now Nikolaj and his partner in ice dance. :coffee:
Excellent news for team Sweden and European ice dance! :giggle:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
nad

Senior international competitors who competed for Canada at isu events is not the same as a newly formed team that never competed internationally for Canada as a team.....apples and oranges.
you don't understand my point. I am well aware of this. That is not what I am aiming at. At this point, let's wait for these athletes to release the information, and then we can talk about how evil or not, Skate Canada is. I suspect there may be more than one kind of opinion about the situation. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.