2022-23 Russian Pairs Figure skating | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2022-23 Russian Pairs Figure skating

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Oh I assumed they were! Who are they with then?
They are from different teams even. Petushkova is with Malikov in Moskvina's team, Mironov split with Geinish and moved from Nina Mozer's team with his direct coach Ushakova to AoP, so far he should be paired with Taisia Sobinina (who skated with Sergei Bakhmat till now). I see the problem that IMO Sobinina is not very strong partner, at least so far she did not show some significant results (in relation to russian pairs of course, in my country she would be top skater).

Last edited:

Mauvedreamer

Final Flight
They are from different teams even. Petushkova is with Malikov in Moskvina's team, Mironov split with Geinish and moved from Nina Mozer's team with his direct coach Ushakova to AoP, so far he should be paired with Taisia Sobinina (who skated with Sergei Bakhmat till now). Isee the problem that IMO Sobinina is not very strong partner, at least so far she did not show some significant results (in relation to russian pairs of course, in my country she would be top skater).
Ah, okay, lot of switching around. Thanks for the update. I can't keep up with it all!

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I am surprised that Mironov doesn’t seem to pair well so far. Outwardly, he seemes to have so much going for him, particularly in Russian field that doesn’t have many extrovert/presenting playful male skaters.

hanca

Record Breaker
I am surprised that Mironov doesn’t seem to pair well so far. Outwardly, he seemes to have so much going for him, particularly in Russian field that doesn’t have many extrovert/presenting playful male skaters.
I am surprised that he didn’t stay with Geinish. They were doing pretty well, so I can’t see a reason for the split. Maybe personal differences? With Geinish, they managed to score 200 in their first season together! Out of eleven competitions they did this season, they medalled at eight, five were first places! It seems to me that he got the impression that he can do this with anyone and I think he downgraded instead of upgraded. Let’s see how his results with Sobinina will compare to his results with Geinish.

Last edited:

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I am surprised that he didn’t stay with Geinish. They were doing pretty well, so I can’t see a reason for the split. Maybe personal differences? With Geinish, they managed to score 200 in their first season together! Out of eleven competitions they did this season, they medalled at eight, five were first places! It seems to me that he got the impression that he can do this with anyone and I think he downgraded instead of upgraded. Let’s see how his results with Sobinina will compare to his results with Geinish.
I also thought they were well-matched, but perhaps Geinish just wanted to move on? I can’t remember Sobinina at all, so I will wait till we see the new pair. I mean, at least we are talking new pairs here…

eterislouisvuitton

On the Ice
I thought that everyone was insistent on getting Mironov a girl that can jump lutzes and flips. Though she could do them last season, it was clear that Geinish would not be able to perform those jumps consistently in the future (same goes for throws). Even though there are many pair guys in Russia with his level of jumps, this seems to be his defining feature. Sobinina, afaik, does not have those jumps. She does have potential, but at this rate we shouldn't expect this partnership to last more than one season. The split with Geinish was obvious from the moment they paired up. Despite a successful first season, this partnership was not made to last. And now Kostiuk/Chigiriev, another very good team, had to split to accomodate Geinish/Mironov

The only "upgrade" on Sobinina, that I can see, is that she is past puberty. I'm curious who made the decisions.

hanca

Record Breaker
I thought that everyone was insistent on getting Mironov a girl that can jump lutzes and flips. Though she could do them last season, it was clear that Geinish would not be able to perform those jumps consistently in the future (same goes for throws). Even though there are many pair guys in Russia with his level of jumps, this seems to be his defining feature. Sobinina, afaik, does not have those jumps. She does have potential, but at this rate we shouldn't expect this partnership to last more than one season. The split with Geinish was obvious from the moment they paired up. Despite a successful first season, this partnership was not made to last. And now Kostiuk/Chigiriev, another very good team, had to split to accomodate Geinish/Mironov

The only "upgrade" on Sobinina, that I can see, is that she is past puberty. I'm curious who made the decisions.
So if it was clear that Geinish would not be able to do triple lutzes, he chose Sobinina? I don’t think this explanation is true. Sobinina is the last person anyone would be betting will do triple lutzes. Sobinina started figure skating later than anyone else. She has circus school background, she is an acrobat. So she has been catching up on jumps. When skating with Volodin, she did have one or two triples, but I doubt that she would suddenly have loop, flip and lutz. I mean, it is not impossible. If Tuktamysheva can get a quad at her age, and Mirai Nagasu got triple axel in her twenties, it is not impossible that Sobinina would get the harder triples as a teenager. But I can’t see the reasoning that she is more likely to land them than Geinish.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
So if it was clear that Geinish would not be able to do triple lutzes, he chose Sobinina? I don’t think this explanation is true. Sobinina is the last person anyone would be betting will do triple lutzes. Sobinina started figure skating later than anyone else. She has circus school background, she is an acrobat. So she has been catching up on jumps. When skating with Volodin, she did have one or two triples, but I doubt that she would suddenly have loop, flip and lutz. I mean, it is not impossible. If Tuktamysheva can get a quad at her age, and Mirai Nagasu got triple axel in her twenties, it is not impossible that Sobinina would get the harder triples as a teenager. But I can’t see the reasoning that she is more likely to land them than Geinish.
Or, if he is just waiting on someone specific, continuing with Geinish would have made sense with Plyushenko since she is a pretty good match artistically/temperament-wise and Plushenko likes skaters with easy flowing charisma. We’ll probably never know.

eterislouisvuitton

On the Ice
It's not only about the jumps. You're right that Sobinina is unlikely to jump lutzes/flips in the forseeable future, and especially not 3Lz+eu+3S like Geinish did once. But look at the throws and twist - either that was the limits of their ability together, or Geinish/Mironov were taught in such a rush that their technique turned out like that. There were limitations to what GOE and levels they could achieve. And after her puberty, who knows if they would still have been able to do triple throws, twists, and level 4 lifts at all? With Sobinina, he can at least guarantee that puberty won't come in the way like it did with Mukhametzianova. She definitely isn't the most ideal partner, but I don't really see who else there right now. His height has limitations. Solovieva maybe?

As much as I liked GM, I don't understand why they were paired together in the first place if a split was anticipated within 1 season - due to the same reasons that he was split with Mukhametzianova. Andrey Rud would have been a much better fit for Ekaterina.

AlexBreeze

Record Breaker
Country
Russia
Update, in one of the replies to fans questions Apollinariia revealed she's in Israel for rehabilitation.
She had a broken foot and plans to return to training in early August. She said that Rylov had recovered.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
She had a broken foot and plans to return to training in early August. She said that Rylov had recovered.
Thank you!

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Can they represent Israel instead? Come on guys find some jewish heritage
Given that they were out of competition as is for required 2 years and their medals are junior… i am adding this to my prayer list 🙏 for such wonderful possibilities.