2022-23 Russian Women's Figure Skating | Page 63 | Golden Skate

2022-23 Russian Women's Figure Skating

Status
Not open for further replies.

SunnyCA

On the Ice
Country
United-States
It was interesting having judges that aren't 'traditional' figure skating judges, but it really does leave the final results to be a personal preference on taste. But I think if they continue the 'competition' next year that a good idea would be to split the competition into categories - not by traditional disciplines but by type of programs. Like Shcherbakova's program was a fabulous performance but how do you really compare 'judging' it vs. something like Valieva or Mishina/Galliamov did. Maybe have a category or maybe just an award for overall best utilization of props. The Fed/Channel One (not sure who) had a great idea, but there's probably a few tweaks that can be done to improve it.
The problem with this particular group of judges was that they were not engaged. Some fancams showed that during some skates they were not even looking at the skaters and were either half-asleep or talking to each other. I think only the female judge looked genuinely interested and tried to do her best.

brakes

On the Ice
The problem with this particular group of judges was that they were not engaged. Some fancams showed that during some skates they were not even looking at the skaters and were either half-asleep or talking to each other. I think only the female judge looked genuinely interested and tried to do her best.
Some judges couldn't even remember/know a name of the skater they reward... :rolleye:

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
For those that care about such things, they are running a “Most Beautiful Athlete Of Russia” competition and there are a ton of Russian lady skaters nominated.

The skaters are cleaning up.
They occupy 4 of the top 5 so far.

Anna at 1, Zagitova at 2 very close, Medvedeva at 4 and Kostornaia at 5.
The skaters ended up trouncing everyone. 5 of the top 6 were skaters. Thorough domination.

Zagitova overtook Anna to win at the end of it all.

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Some judges couldn't even remember/know a name of the skater they reward... :rolleye:
Judge 1: “My award is going to the one in the dance studio, Tikta something”

Judge 2: “I’m giving my award to that girl sitting on the moon, Sophie something”

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
So, after watching Worlds it made me think. When the Russians come back, how will it happen?

As it is now, they have no SB results and they are falling off the WS list like flies. SB and WS is the criteria for GP events. So will there be only Challenger events they can compete in? What about Euros, Worlds and Olympics...will they only get one spot to start with?

icewhite

Record Breaker
So, after watching Worlds it made me think. When the Russians come back, how will it happen?

As it is now, they have no SB results and they are falling off the WS list like flies. SB and WS is the criteria for GP events. So will there be only Challenger events they can compete in? What about Euros, Worlds and Olympics...will they only get one spot to start with?

The way I understood it, they will only have one spot. Although I could imagine if they come back this year, there might be added spots overall. I don't think they will take away spots from other countries that have been gained this season. However I don't see them coming back this year.

Vemvane

On the Ice

As far as I am aware, there are comeback rules that would allow some of the senior skaters, probably Anna Shcherbakova, Elizaveta Tuktamysheva and Alexandra Trusova at the least to claim a spot on the GP, but I am not au fait with the details, and whether they are limited by time.

Edit: Found the rules.

“Come-Back” Skaters/Couples: Skaters/Couples who were previously seeded (placed 1 to 6 within the past 10 years at a ISU World Figure Skating Championships) and subsequently did not participate in one or more competitive seasons will be given priority consideration to re-enter the ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating for selection of up to 2 assignments if they commit in writing to participating in two ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating events and if such return is announced and confirmed by the date of the annual Selection Meeting. Such so called “Come Back Skaters/Couples” will not substitute any of the Seeded Skaters/Couples, mentioned under a). “Come Back Skaters/Couples” must not fulfil the requirements of the minimum Grand Prix score and would be considered for selection as an Organizing ISU Member Choice. A come back under this clause is allowed only once in their competitive career for any Skater/Couple
From the Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final 2021 / 22 document.

Last edited:

Amei

Record Breaker

GP events is a bit TBD, the medalists from 2021 worlds will have the comeback rule to use to get 2 spots. I believe it was already said last year officially that for Worlds (& now Europeans) that they would only get 1 spot per discipline as they didn't compete at the last Worlds/European championships. I imagine some of the challenger competitions could see a boost in attendance when Russians are allowed to compete internationally because I would guess they will be attending more of those competitions to boost their ranking and thus bigger name skaters will be attending.

For Shcherbakova and Trusova IF they are allowed to compete next season they both are still sitting in the top 15 World standings at 7 and 13, respectively.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
GP events is a bit TBD, the medalists from 2021 worlds will have the comeback rule to use to get 2 spots. I believe it was already said last year officially that for Worlds (& now Europeans) that they would only get 1 spot per discipline as they didn't compete at the last Worlds/European championships. I imagine some of the challenger competitions could see a boost in attendance when Russians are allowed to compete internationally because I would guess they will be attending more of those competitions to boost their ranking and thus bigger name skaters will be attending.

For Shcherbakova and Trusova IF they are allowed to compete next season they both are still sitting in the top 15 World standings at 7 and 13, respectively.

Thanks. I suspect though that Shcherbakova and Trusova will drop significantly in the WS when the next season begins. And who knows how many years it will be before the Russians can come back. It might be next year, it might be 10 years from now.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
As i don't see Scherbakova and Trusova coming back, i think only Tuktamysheva will have a chance to compete. If other feds want to invite her. All the others never competed in seniors internationally, are not in SB and won't be high enough in WS list. They will have to count on host picks and i don't see Rostelecom cup coming back. In other words, with no spots guaranteed, there may be no one in GPs.
Their only comps would be challengers and senior Bs + the lucky one who will get euros and WC.

brakes

On the Ice
Whenever it happens, imagine the pressure on a girl trying to get 3 Worlds/Euros spots for next year.

Several compatriots careers depending of her performing perfectly. 🤯

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Whenever it happens, imagine the pressure on a girl trying to get 3 Worlds/Euros spots for next year.

If she succeed, she sure would deserve extra money from fed and flowers from all the girls in the national team.

jen84

Rinkside

Let’s be honest though, whichever Russian survives the internal pressure will be pretty far out in front of the rest of the world… I just browsed scores from worlds. Someone correct me if I’ve overstated that.

JimR

On the Ice
Not for a long time, even though we see Russians compete in other sports all around the world with no issues, even in countries quite hostile to them. It's probably not the right thread to discuss why.

How will it happen you ask?

By Russian women winning Russian Nationals with scores of 210, Russia would be allowed to compete again.

Last edited:

JimR

On the Ice

Zhilina and Akatieva are too young, so it's really only Adelia and Kamila. If the issue she is dealing with not resolved then they won't send her. So Adelia only needs to beat Tuktik. Possibly Gorbacheva will contend, but not with one quad and no triple axel. Muravieva needs to develop a quad.

I think Shcherbakova and Trusova are retired.

JimR

On the Ice
Let’s be honest though, whichever Russian survives the internal pressure will be pretty far out in front of the rest of the world… I just browsed scores from worlds. Someone correct me if I’ve overstated that.

You haven't. Adelia has a stable 3A and quads. Adelia attempted more ultra c in her GP final program than all the skaters at the world championships combined.

brakes

On the Ice
Zhilina and Akatieva are too young, so it's really only Adelia and Kamila. If the issue she is dealing with not resolved then they won't send her. So Adelia only needs to beat Tuktik. Possibly Gorbacheva will contend, but not with one quad and no triple axel. Muravieva needs to develop a quad.

Gorbacheva is too young for Worlds.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada

To me, the situation was very clear in Russia. If you look at results from Nationals, out of age eligible skaters (minus Valieva), it was

1) Elizaveta (3A)
2) Muravieva (3A)
3) Adeliya (3A, 4T)

Then, from Russian Cup, it was:

1) Adeliya (4F 👏, 3A, 4T)
2) Elizaveta (3A)
3) Muravieva (3A)

Those three skaters were the clear front runners this year and the only three that could have beaten Kaori and Haein at Worlds. The rest, would have lost to these two skaters. Also, Elizaveta should try for 4T (her landing a quad at her age would resonate and build her reputation). Also, Muravieva has landed 4S in practice. But, like Elizaveta, she can’t land it in competition. Sofia Muravieva is fine with her 3A. I think that just having this jump and being consistent will put her in the National Team for years to come. She can Alena axel and defeats ladies with inconsistent quads if she puts out programs that suit her skills set and style. I didn’t like her programs that much this year.

Also, for Juniors, it was clear what the team would have been:

1) Akatieva - Winner of Sr. Nationals
2) Alina G - Winner of Jr. Nationals and skated excellent at Russian Cup
3) Veronika Z - Runner up of Jr. Nationals and winner of Jr. Russian Cup

These three were the clear top 3. However, with Mao Shimada, I think only Akatieva would have beaten the performance Mao put out at Junior Worlds. Those were the top 6 skaters plus Valieva from Russia this year, that skated 220+ performances.

Last edited:

JimR

On the Ice
Also, for Juniors, it was clear what the team would have been:

1) Akatieva - Winner of Sr. Nationals
2) Alina G - Winner of Jr. Nationals and skated excellent at Russian Cup
3) Veronika Z - Runner up of Jr. Nationals and winner of Jr. Russian Cup

These three were the clear top 3. However, with Mao Shimada, I think only Akatieva would have beaten the performance Mao put out at Junior Worlds. Those were the top 6 skaters plus Valieva from Russia this year, that skated 220+ performances.

All three would beat Shimada. Against Russian skaters, she would still receive a 'Japanese bonus' but not the mushrooms we're seeing over the past 12 months for particular skaters because the Russian girls are on such a higher level for jump technique and choreography that it would be scandalous if her components and jumps received higher marks.

In the Junior World's final the technical panel fell asleep for Shimada.

shimada.jpg

Her sole quad the 4T was on the q, but probably could have been called as an UR if judges were looking to pull down her score.

He rides from end to end with her arms sticking out to the side with a lot of two footed skating.

Against, Akatieva, Gorbacheva, Zhilina, there is no way judges could overlook her jump issues, and relative lack of skating skills compared to the three best in Russia.

Zhilina had 4 quads and a 3A in the final right? The jumps are more controlled, there's an easy power, and while her components should not be as high as Akatieva and Gorbacheva, they would definitely be higher than Shimada.

Status
Not open for further replies.