2022 Beijing Team Event - Day 2 | Golden Skate

2022 Beijing Team Event - Day 2

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Awesome triple Axel by Valieva! She was definitely in a league above the others. Love the music!

Higuchi did well, but told the press earlier that she had been feeling a bit "tight" in practices - here's hoping she loosens up before the individual event!

Nice job by Schizas (new PB) and Gubanova!

Brezinova earned a new personal best of 61.05, breaking the "60-mark" for the first time in international competition. :clap:

I felt really bad for Sadovsky who was probably feeling some pressure.

Absolutely thrilled for Kagiyama who got a new personal best (208.94) :jaw:more than 11 points since GP Italy!

What are your thoughts on Day 2?

Last edited:

dancelion21

On the Ice
Even after a less than ideal day 2, the US is still in pole position for the silver medal. The US has a three point lead on Japan right now. They will get net 3 points from the dance event since Japan will finish last while the US will finish second. So that's a six point lead. In ladies, the worst the US lady can do is fourth, behind RUS, JPN, and CAN, so the lead goes down to four points. Even if K/F finish last in the pairs free skate, M/K can't beat the Russian pairs to make up that four point deficit.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Wow - Canada and Madi what a shocker. she came through when it counted. Kamila was awesome - hope she left something and doens't get Lipinksayed. Though the marks suggest even with an error she would be at 80 and competitive still with the rest. Mark K. reminds m a bit of Patrick Chan last olympics you didn't have a lot of hope but somehow they got the job done against the jumpers. Yuma was amazing and laid down th gauntlet he i not he just for a medal but gold. Karen was meh. Wakaba was very good and things would not have changed with Kaori. Vincent was okay but not stellar without the big tricks his skating is so so. This was a good practice but Jason could have got this score and has been consistently. I do like Vinnie's short better. Karen and Vincent might have just let the gold medal go to ROC. ROC's better events are coming though USA might win dance - they better hope Piper and Paul and the Italians beat the Russians or injury over takes Nikita. Remember though there are only 5 teams so making up ground is harder. Unlike Madi who had to beat Italy she was third and the Italian was 9th and that made a huge difference. Roman - oh Roman tsk tsk tsk. What can i say other than he has two more skates but Keegan was dearly missed. 122 and change can be beaten by Madi forget the Japanese ladies or Russian ladies. To be clear Roman tried his best but he doesn't have the pcs of say Chan Buttle Lambiel or Brown all super stellar skaters. He does skate well but you won't get the pcs without the clean content. Just horrible. To say his season has been up and down is kind. I can't believe I am saying this but I think Madi will do better at this rate. It ain't over until it is over. USA is close enough for gold. But the three medallists are a done deal it is just what color. I guess if anyone cares an interesting battle for 4th and the unofficial pewter. In that race Canada needs to pick it up in dance and pairs. They won't be expected to win pairs but they need to close the gap and beat Japan or USA. I think they were going with James and Radford but I might go with MTM only because tehy are warmed up and they will fight. Jams and Radford while showing potential have made huge errors including omitting big elements. Not ust losing GoEs. I m not sure switching China for one of the other ladies is really going to change anything and may not even be possible. Chock and Bates for the US may have a stronger FD than HD so this may be good for them. I am curious who Russia will send in pairs. Does ET have that much power. I kind of want T and M to get some kind of medal but they have a chance still individually. From practice reports Anna S looks stronger than Trusova and is the better candidate for the fs - but really Russia is rich in talent in ladies. The key thing is they survived the men in good shape and as a bonus actually picked up ground by bating Vinnie in the FS. Kaori could beat them an so could Karen but I am doubtful about Karen She got beaten by the Canadian girl in the SP. The team event is super interesting.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
"Basically were are very ecstatic about today," said Team ROC captain Nikita Katsalapov. "Kamilia was perfect! She's in perfect shape and we are happy for her and happy for the team. I think today was absolutely glorious. Everything was done cleanly, so once again, we are ecstatic."

When asked about Valieva, Katsalapov said she is a "very fragile little girl".

More comments from Team Captain in article.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
One phenom : Kamila
Two rising stars : Yuma and Madeline
Three teams clearly ahead for the podium
Four quads are not enough for Vincent
Fifth place for Roman still gets him
Six points ;)

Lucky Seven for Keegan who will arrive in Beijing on 02.07.2022

It was truly a ride to watch Madeline get into 3rd place : who would have thought that Canada's highest scoring SP discipline would be women? And then, it just seemed like poor Roman felt even more pressure to do well for his teammates, to redeem himself. Definitely, a very talented skater who will need to work on his mental preparation. He is capable of a lot more than that. I felt sorry for him. Unfortunately, there is not a lot of time for him to get his mojo back for the SP. However, I wish him to just enjoy being an Olympian. So many deserving skaters have not even had that privilege ! Enjoy it to the last moment Roman ! You got yourself there and you deserve to be there.

Greengemmonster

On the Ice
One child excelled, one child had the yips. Poor Vincent. That was not good. But I love him anyway. I can admit that was not good though.

I cannot have it all but am so thrilled that Kamila delivered and was in stunning form.

She emoted so well I didn't realize how nervous she was until after her skate.

My husband (who has no idea about skating) was watching some of the ladies with me and after Kamila's final pose he said: It's like she's skating in a different competition. She's on a different level.

Really hoping they put either Sasha or Anna in the final skate. They should win it easily. Just not Kamila. Let my genius rest ❤️

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Two stand-outs for me, Schizas and Kondratyuk. I hope it’s the sign of things to come. That Canada can get second woman into completions next season, and Russia—keep their three for their man kaleidoscope.

Bummed for Zhou, really bummed, but fingers crossed for individual.

Alex Fedorov

Medalist
Country
Russia
"Basically were are very ecstatic about today," said Team ROC captain Nikita Katsalapov. "Kamilia was perfect! She's in perfect shape and we are happy for her and happy for the team. I think today was absolutely glorious. Everything was done cleanly, so once again, we are ecstatic."

When asked about Valieva, Katsalapov said she is a "very fragile little girl".

More comments from Team Captain in article.
fuller quote:

When asked about Valieva, Katsalapov said she is a “very fragile little girl”.

“And yet, she is a concentration of all the best quotas of a figure skater,” he said. “She’s the motivating factor for the entire team. She’s a fascinating athlete and worked very hard. She’s very ‘no-nonsense’ and watching her perform is sheer pleasure. It’s a delight. And she’s getting better from one competition to the next, so it’s very gratifying that we have people of her level—Mark Kondratiuk, Sashaa Shcherbakova, Alexandra Trusova.

I think someone got a little confused:)

small offtopic: I accidentally turned on an automatic translator into Russian on this article, and the abbreviation ROС was first translated as the Republic of China, and then as the Russian Orthodox Church:biggrin:

bekalc

Record Breaker
Wow - Canada and Madi what a shocker. she came through when it counted. Kamila was awesome - hope she left something and doens't get Lipinksayed. Though the marks suggest even with an error she would be at 80 and competitive still with the rest. Mark K. reminds m a bit of Patrick Chan last olympics you didn't have a lot of hope but somehow they got the job done against the jumpers. Yuma was amazing and laid down th gauntlet he i not he just for a medal but gold. Karen was meh. Wakaba was very good and things would not have changed with Kaori. Vincent was okay but not stellar without the big tricks his skating is so so. This was a good practice but Jason could have got this score and has been consistently. I do like Vinnie's short better. Karen and Vincent might have just let the gold medal go to ROC. ROC's better events are coming though USA might win dance - they better hope Piper and Paul and the Italians beat the Russians or injury over takes Nikita. Remember though there are only 5 teams so making up ground is harder. Unlike Madi who had to beat Italy she was third and the Italian was 9th and that made a huge difference. Roman - oh Roman tsk tsk tsk. What can i say other than he has two more skates but Keegan was dearly missed. 122 and change can be beaten by Madi forget the Japanese ladies or Russian ladies. To be clear Roman tried his best but he doesn't have the pcs of say Chan Buttle Lambiel or Brown all super stellar skaters. He does skate well but you won't get the pcs without the clean content. Just horrible. To say his season has been up and down is kind. I can't believe I am saying this but I think Madi will do better at this rate. It ain't over until it is over. USA is close enough for gold. But the three medallists are a done deal it is just what color. I guess if anyone cares an interesting battle for 4th and the unofficial pewter. In that race Canada needs to pick it up in dance and pairs. They won't be expected to win pairs but they need to close the gap and beat Japan or USA. I think they were going with James and Radford but I might go with MTM only because tehy are warmed up and they will fight. Jams and Radford while showing potential have made huge errors including omitting big elements. Not ust losing GoEs. I m not sure switching China for one of the other ladies is really going to change anything and may not even be possible. Chock and Bates for the US may have a stronger FD than HD so this may be good for them. I am curious who Russia will send in pairs. Does ET have that much power. I kind of want T and M to get some kind of medal but they have a chance still individually. From practice reports Anna S looks stronger than Trusova and is the better candidate for the fs - but really Russia is rich in talent in ladies. The key thing is they survived the men in good shape and as a bonus actually picked up ground by bating Vinnie in the FS. Kaori could beat them an so could Karen but I am doubtful about Karen She got beaten by the Canadian girl in the SP. The team event is super interesting.
The Russians are not switching any one Kamila is doing the long.

Jason’s has never scored as high as Mark did here. Sigh Ilia should be here. There was no reason not to take Ilia.

Tahuu

On the Ice
Karen: Yeah I had a fall, at least I didn’t chicken out of it.

Vincent: It’s not a disaster. I’m better-trained than to let a disaster happen. It’s a good way for me to get ‘in my knees’ a little before the individual event starts.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The Russians are not switching any one Kamila is doing the long.

Jason’s has never scored as high as Mark did here. Sigh Ilia should be here. There was no reason not to take Ilia.
The reason not to use Ilia is that he wasn't part of the US team. Jason (and Vincent) were correctly selected based on the USFSA criteria.

Ali81

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
KAGIYAMA ! Honestly he almost moves me to tears with the power of his performance . It is simply incredible conveyance of the essence of the music. He floats like a butterfly and stings like a bee. Wakaba was superlative. She has incredible musicality and nuance (Ash Wagner knows where it’s at! )And Kondratiuk- simply incredible that he came out of almost nowhere to be Russian &Euro champ and quite likely an Olympic gold medallist . It is testament to his sheer mental strength which is his biggest asset and has to be lauded.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
ROC's better events are coming though USA might win dance - they better hope Piper and Paul and the Italians beat the Russians or injury over takes Nikita. Remember though there are only 5 teams so making up ground is harder.
No Italians, because 5 teams….

bekalc

Record Breaker
The reason not to use Ilia is that he wasn't part of the US team. Jason (and Vincent) were correctly selected based on the USFSA criteria.
The criteria is messed up. It penalizes young skaters.

I only support body of work for proven medal contenders.

There was no reason to hold up Jason. He may not even place top ten here.

lesnar001

Record Breaker
Lots of great performances in the Womens SP.

One was expected, but still highly anticipated by me. I've gushed a lot about Kamila Valieva before, so this time I'll just let what she did on the ice speak for itself.

Madeline Schizas was such an unexpected surprise for me. I thought she was fantastic. I loved the way she does her jumps. I expect that she will keep building on this and hopefully follow in the success of other great Canadians like Joannie Rochette and Kaetlyn Osmond.

I felt bad that Anastasia Gubanova just missed getting Georgia into the finals, but that's no fault of hers. She did great, but for me Madeline Schizas was correctly ahead of her.

For the men, unfortunately I was only able to see the last two skaters. I knew Yuma Kagiyama was great, but I didn't know he was THAT great! And he did a 4Lo also. Isn't that rather rare to see? He's not just looking towards the podium the next couple of days, he just gave notice to the "Big Guys" that they better be on their toes here.

People are going to have their opinions, but I wish they weren't so harsh about Karen Chen.
Yes, she did poorly here, but it's not like she's the only inconsistent skater for the USA. It just happened. It could have happened to Mariah Bell also, or maybe not. Alysa would have had a better chance of scoring higher, but she has had some consistency issues too. It's really too bad it had to happen to Karen on a day when so many of the skaters exceeded their expectations.

Same thing for Vincent Zhou. He was way off his "A" game here, but he certainly didn't implode. Some of the complaints I've seen revolve around Ilia Malinin's absence from these games. I was very impressed with his Nationals performance, and I expect even bigger things from him in the coming season (and maybe even Worlds this year). But I don't want to project what might or might have been in this team event based on one competition. If he had skated all season like he did at US Nationals, then I think that conversation could take place.

SunnyCA

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I thought it was as much fun as the first day. Unfortunately, the third day will be pretty much a formality for every team involved. My main impressions: 1) Schizas skated the best SP of her life and prevailed over Gubanova; 2) Kamila did her thing while Karen Chen bombed and killed any intrigue left for day 3. I am still baffled that Bell was not chosen. I think she is mentally tough and could've placed third. 3) Yuma was awesome and Mark pretty much sealed the deal for his team. 4) Russians not doing any substitutions for day 3 was the biggest surprise for me.