2022 Beijing Team Event - Day 3 | Golden Skate

2022 Beijing Team Event - Day 3

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

That was a scary place to fall for both skaters in the exit of that lift for Mishina and Galliamov! I hope they are ok and are able to shake it off and not let it get to them for the individual event. Otherwise they gave a very impressive performance!

I'm very proud of Miura and Kihara! A new personal best!

Chock and Bates' FD is growing on me. I'm still stuck on their 2019-21 "Egyptian Snake Dance" routine :)

I really enjoy watching Gilles/Poirier routine but their music reminds me so much of "Vincent" which I also miss.

Just some small errors for Chen, but I bet she felt redeemed after that performance.

Schizas was such a joy to watch and I look forward to seeing more of her!

Kamila Valieva continues to impress me. Such courage and strength. The fall was affordable. She earned it.

What are your thoughts of Day 3?

Last edited:

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Really happy with the results and so happy for Schizas. Also I am in awe of Katzalapov enduring and that dance was actually beautiful.

BlackAxel

Final Flight
Mishina/Galliamov's music selection for their FS is definitely a choice. It was my first time watching their program and I was in shock. Shock by the fall which was very terrible, but also by the music which gives off the strongest Soviet pride vibes.

withwings

On the Ice
Mishina/Galliamov's music selection for their FS is definitely a choice. It was my first time watching their program and I was in shock. Shock by the fall which was very terrible, but also by the music which gives off the strongest Soviet pride vibes.
You are absolutely right about the "soviet vibe" music.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
So from Day 3 we learned the Japanese pairs team is moving into medal territory. US Pairs is up in the air. Canada may not be dead in pairs; they might have a fighting chance against the Americans but forget Japan with the Canadian coaches they look good. Russia really played it safe. S/K maybe off the podium and two American teams with France on the podium. Really looks bad for GP and SK. I also fear the glass back of Nikita. Kamila could win with a fall maybe two. Vincent was unconvincing here but it might not matter as he may be out. We are left guessing how good Anna, Sasha and the other two pairs are skating as none were in the team event. Russia has a new male bronze medal contender. Canada really needed Keegan. Roman is a hot mess and one wonders what the Canadian Skating Federation will do with him. Gosh it was so sad; I am glad teammates supported him but he was so pitiful out there he couldn't beat his up and coming female teammate whose scoring system already handicaps them nxt to the ladies. Nathan looks invinciible. one has to wonder about Yuzuru what shape he is in. USA dance looks great -though can't say who is no. 1. But two medals is looking a reality. Canada - O Canada. What a mess. Probably going home medalless but can be so proud of Madi - she really came through so far. Just amazing If Karen Chen was USA's best hope for ladies they could be in big trouble but surely at least one lady will beat Canada. I still don't understand where all the love for Liu went.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Really happy with the results and so happy for Schizas. Also I am in awe of Katzalapov enduring and that dance was actually beautiful.
Loved Madi. Such a joy and she skated that sp with the weight of Canada and possible shame. But her joy seemed to cause Karen Chen pain. And I so agree about Nikita. So much hate for ROC and SK but I feel for the guy and sadly they are not likely to be on the podium. I really hope that Russia and or Canada or both can get a medal in ID. So sad that really there are 4 teams fighitng for two medals. (Sorry Italy and SB we have to draw the line somewhere)

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Loved Madi. Such a joy and she skated that sp with the weight of Canada and possible shame. But her joy seemed to cause Karen Chen pain. And I so agree about Nikita. So much hate for ROC and SK but I feel for the guy and sadly they are not likely to be on the podium. I really hope that Russia and or Canada or both can get a medal in ID. So sad that really there are 4 teams fighitng for two medals. (Sorry Italy and SB we have to draw the line somewhere)
They call it Kiss&Cry for a reason, and it’s not over until the fat lady sings. At any case, if one wants an Olympic gold love story, there it is, no Hollywood.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Congrats to the medalists and all skaters who skated well but couldn't count on strong teammates to get a medal.

I didn't watch anything live but from what i saw:
- I liked ladies SP. So many good performances.
- Miura/Kihara killing it.
- Yuma's FS.
- Dance was nice and relaxing as usual because other than twobbles i can't identify non-obvious mistakes.

I'm happy that Japan won a team medal because:
- Now, maybe more kids and singles skaters on the verge of retirement will get interested in pairs.
- Japan had a chance for the medal thanks to the pair team. Seeing the results it can bring them, JSF will maybe invest more ince ice rinks and pairs coaches. With a bit more chance, maybe they will start de develop a true program for pairs and ice dance, so all disciplines will have a good field in next seasons. No more nats with 2 or 3 teams.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Yes! The team event seems to be good at encouraging federations to have dance and pairs skaters so they can qualify for the team event. And the skaters really seem to enjoy it most of the time, and they have the support of their teammates when things don't go well.

cake

On the Ice
Ice dance suddenly got more interesting. The fight for silver seems to be more open than I thought. I´m sad for Piper and Paul though.

Generally I think the free program in the team event is a bit boring, as the teams can´t loose or gain many points with only five participants.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I am thrilled to see the US come away with a silver medal. With Russia, Canada, and Japan we could have missed the podium all together. Seeing Karen have that great free program was a true delight. Now, on to the individual events.

Ali81

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Look , the final standings are correct , but on what planet are Valievas skating skills superior to Kaori? And with a fall. Sorry it just doesn’t add up.

lesnar001

Record Breaker

That was a scary place to fall for both skaters in the exit of that lift for Mishina and Galliamov! I hope they are ok and are able to shake it off and not let it get to them for the individual event. Otherwise they gave a very impressive performance!

I'm very proud of Miura and Kihara! A new personal best!

Chock and Bates' FD is growing on me. I'm still stuck on their 2019-21 "Egyptian Snake Dance" routine :)

I really enjoy watching Gilles/Poirier routine but their music reminds me so much of "Vincent" which I also miss.

Just some small errors for Chen, but I bet she felt redeemed after that performance.

Schizas was such a joy to watch and I look forward to seeing more of her!

Kamila Valieva continues to impress me. Such courage and strength. The fall was affordable. She earned it.

What are your thoughts of Day 3?
You pretty much summed up my thoughts on Day 3. (y)

Fallingwater

Rinkside
Country
United-Kingdom
Does anyone know anything about this? It has been pulled from the BBC website.

"Legal issue" delays medal ceremony

Figure skating team event

Anna Thompson

BBC Sport in Beijing

There's a very interesting development from the team figure skating event - as the medal ceremony has yet to take place because of a legal issue.

The Russian Olympic Committee took the win on Monday, with the United States second and Japan third and the medal ceremony should have taken place on the medals plaza here in Beijing on Tuesday.

IOC spokesman Mark Adams has confirmed the legal issue but has not expanded on what it is.

"The situation arose and came at short notice," he said. "It’s an emerging issue so I can't add very much at the moment."

An update has been promised later on Wednesday.

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
According to the CBC broadcast, the legal issue has something to do with Valieva's drug test, but they didn't give any other information.