2022 Grand Prix Espoo Women's Free Skate | Page 18 | Golden Skate

2022 Grand Prix Espoo Women's Free Skate

Warwick360

Medalist
Has price of metal gone through the roof? :confused:

Those plastic/glass medals are a fail. They all look the same. :scratch2:

Also, I hope from next year, ISU will opt to place award medal round the neck than what they have done since pandemic.

lileychristie

Lee-lay
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

Those plastic/glass medals are a fail. Also, I hope from next year, ISU will opt to place award medal round the neck than what they have done since pandemic.

I'm thinking the same thing! I really don't like the trend of these plastic/glass medals... they look so cheap to me.
It's called Gold, Silver and Bronze medal for a reason :rolleyes:

Warwick360

Medalist
I'm thinking the same thing! I really don't like the trend of these plastic/glass medals... they look so cheap to me.
It's called Gold, Silver and Bronze medal for a reason :rolleyes:
The only thing worse they could do is go for the star trophy that I think were being handed out in France few years back, instead of the medal. At least one could know what position they were from the colour there. :rolleye:

liv

Record Breaker
So happy for Mai. I think she really loves this program, it has more fire than her other programs. Nice to see and obviously the judges like it too. Hope she can manage her energy and show her best at GPF. And how nice that she and Kaori can go together. May this make it really difficult for JSF to ignore her... 2 grand prix wins? that has to give her credit. And I love her music so much, especially from the smiral, er,choreo sequence, to the end.

I think they were ready to give it to Loena, but the errors were too big. After Mai's skate I thought it was done, but then the errors crept in for Loena. If Loena was unwell, tired, she should be proud that she held up as well as she did. I expect she'll be much better at GPF.

maofan

Final Flight

Also, I hope from next year, ISU will opt to place award medal round the neck than what they have done since pandemic.
Also, $18,000 USD for first place as prize money? What do yo do these days with this money, buy a dress for your free program?
Wouldnā€™t be nice to take a little bit from other sports ( like basketball, hockey, tennis, I would say soccer, but World Cup fans would kill meā€¦šŸ˜€), and give it to skaters, who work just as much, if not even harder than other athletes?šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø

Warwick360

Medalist
Also, $18,000 USD for first place as prize money? What do yo do these days with this money, buy a dress for your free program?
Wouldnā€™t be nice to take a little bit from other sports ( like basketball, hockey, tennis, I would say soccer, but World Cup fans would kill meā€¦šŸ˜€), and give it to skaters, who work just as much, if not even harder than other athletes?šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø
At this moment, I think I could do a better job at managing the event than these ISU folks. Those empty seats. And yes, I have mentioned that more than once in this thread, but if they had gone a bit cheaper and managed to get more bums on the seat, surely that would be beneficial to all, also aesthetically not jarring when broadcasting, all the while increasing the cash pool? ISU leaves me very sad with the nature of things as it is.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, currently #6 in World Standings!
Record Breaker

Looks like they always give these. They are given at Finlandia as well...

labgoat

Cheering for the new kids on the JGP block!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
ISU videos are up for women, but are labeled as pairs. Oh ISU...
Where can members of this forum apply to fix this kind of stupid?
The amateur posters do a better job.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Omigod, so glad Schizas put in two almost clean programs & bummed Thorngren messed up combos, but I believe. I Kawabe did super-good, so I have a feeling this might be the comp at WC this year from Japan, unless Sakomoto recovers.

lzxnl

Final Flight
So, if there really was this PCS inflation for skaters skating later, Rika could well have qualified for the GPF had she not messed up her two short programs (and her clean frees have indicated she's capable of landing those jumps cleanly).

Skate Canada, the slips in the short cost her about 8 points in TES, and probably a point or two in PCS too. That alone would almost win the short. Give an extra point or two in the free from components, and she wins the silver.

This weekend, the mistake in the short cost her 3 points in TES, maybe another point in components. Add those back, that puts her third in the short. Given that Mai, Loena and Mana all got 66+ PCS with pretty flawed skates, and Loena 68 PCS with a few pops, it's not too unreasonable to assume Rika gets 68 too in PCS in this scenario, which is a 5 point boost overall in the free, and a 9 point boost in the competition. That gives her a bronze, and very nearly almost a silver, and she would have rightfully won the free (come on, how do you lose the free with the only clean skate and the highest TES).

Argh. I would have liked to have seen her at the GPF with her lutz, as she's shown that even without all her jumps, if she goes clean and is scored somewhat reasonably, she's very competitive. Alas, we'll see how she goes at Nationals. On to GPF!

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Is that Greta Thunberg?!

It is.

I wonder how she is these days?
Greta is fine :)

Recently she donated SEK 2 million(200 000 Euro) to JƄhkƄgasska sami village helping them fight a mine company wanting to exploit the land where they keep their reindeers.

Also she and 600 other swedish people sued the Swedish government for not doing enough to fight climate change

I like Bradieā€™s performance concept. If she means what sheā€™s expressing I want her elaborating. Has she talked about it?

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
solecism-t_rex.gif
Perhaps this explains why the attendence is low????

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
They emptied the balcony for last events because there were so many empty seats at ice level. I noticed there were very few little skaters, as during Finlandia trophy there is about at least 100 of them wearing their club jackets. I think it is the organize who decided the prizes. Later to that in some other thread. I need to go to sleep now.

rain

Record Breaker
Just caught up with the women's FS and have lots of thoughts:

First, Bradie Tennell. She may be struggling with her jumps in her comeback, but she is 500 times more interesting as a skater than she was before her injury. I love both her short and long program choreography (especially the short), and think if she can skate them clean or semi-clean they are barnburners. The more modern dance style works really well for her. Her musical interpretation and movement is superior to most of the rest of the field now. She also remains one of the best spinners in the world. I'm really hoping she can progress with getting her jumps back because she is now a dynamite all-round skater with something really special.

The final flight was something else. Rika Kihira was so joyous. I'm not a huge fan of the Titanic music, since I have way too many memories of when the film came out and it was all Titanic, all the time, everywhere. However she evidently loves this program and it shows in her very committed performance. Someone else on the comeback trail. Of the Japanese women here, she was my favourite, and the only one, to my mind, who has that je ne said quoi x-factor.

Which brings me to my controversial opinion that while both Mai Mihara and Mana Kawabe skated well here, they are both boring. Their programs are dull and they dutifully perform the movements, but don't connect with the music at all, Kawabe in particular. Kawabe's music just drones on the background while she performs her elements. I found myself looking away multiple times. Mihara is fairly consistent, and that's her best quality. Her posture is pretty bad at times, and there's just not that much special there. Very overrated. I thought they probably deserved their placements, but I wouldn't go out of my way to watch either of these programs again.

Maddie Schizas had a good redemption skate here. If she'd skated that program at Skate Canada she would have medalled easily. Hopefully this is a sign of things to come. She was obviously thinking through this program rather than performing it full out. But all in all, looking up from her last outing.

Lindsay Thorngren had the weakest skate of the final group, and it still wasn't awful. Just not very memorable.

Leona Hendrixx was good, but I don't know that her program is anything to write home about choreographically either. But she does have the charisma that means you watch her, and she goes after everything with great attack and energy.

Overall, there was a really high level of competition here and I was impressed.

rain

Record Breaker
At this moment, I think I could do a better job at managing the event than these ISU folks. Those empty seats. And yes, I have mentioned that more than once in this thread, but if they had gone a bit cheaper and managed to get more bums on the seat, surely that would be beneficial to all, also aesthetically not jarring when broadcasting, all the while increasing the cash pool? ISU leaves me very sad with the nature of things as it is.
This is so true. Not to mention that it must be more fun for the competitors when they're not performing to a mostly empty rink. You'd think they'd recognize the basic financial truth that if they could have sold a bunch more seats, even at a lower price, they'd still come out ahead. It's also more people to go out after the event and gush about what a great time they had watching skating, so the next event there will be more people wanting to buy tickets and see what it's all about.