2022 JGP Riga Cup Men's Short Program | Page 15 | Golden Skate

2022 JGP Riga Cup Men's Short Program

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
That would have been a brilliant performance for somebody wearing their own skates, never mind somebody wearing somebody else's skates!

Amazing. Just amazing.

The irony is, I think he is going to be higher than the owner of the skates!

This guy just showed us how good he is. And that he is going to be somebody to keep an eye on.

22nd. Half a point behind Connor! :drama:

Hopefully his skates will arrive tomorrow. Otherwise, there will need to be an even quicker transfer on Saturday! :eek:

:cheer: WELL DONE CHIU HEI!!! :cheer:

CaroLiza_fan

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Oh no, Connor and Chiu Hei are back-to-back in the Free - and not in different warm-up groups but the same. :oops: So either they find somebody else to lend him skates, his own skates miraculously arrive in time for the Free, or what?
Maybe Chiu Hei's own skates will arrive till Saturday?
ETA: Otherwise Connor would be at the disadvantage, because he is skating after Chiu Hei. 😲

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Thanks for today people :ghug: I might skip Rhythm Dance tomorrow to save my own mental health 😆 Season is long you know...

See you at least for the pairs event tomorrow :hap10:

The Dance will be the only segment that I will be able to watch tomorrow. Which is ironic, as it was the only category that I didn't see any of last week.

Oh, I wish the new owners of Formula 1 kept the calendar at around 18 or 19 races. Now that we have 22 races, there are too many consecutive race weekends, and too many clashes with other sports that I follow!

CaroLiza_fan

denise3lz

On the Ice
Country
Japan
:cheer: HAPPY BIRTHDAY RIO!!! :cheer:

Wow. So, in this group we have a skater representing Japan who was born in the Great Britain, and in the final group we have a skater representing Great Britain who was born in Japan.

I knew Connor had a Japanese mother, but I didn't know Rio had a connection to the UK. I wonder if he has a British parent, or if circumstances just meant that he was born in Wales.

On that note, I still wish Rei Yoshimoto would come back to the UK instead of languishing in the rankings in Japan.

Anyway, back to the subject.

:cheer: ALL THE BEST RIO!!! :cheer:

CaroLiza_fan
I remember his Union Jack costume 3 years ago.

SubRosa

I love Lussi
Final Flight
Country
Canada
RIP my predictions! :dbana:

Hereby nominating Suntsev and Bodenstein for the Most Consistently Inconsistent podium

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I really liked Suto. Also Yampolskiy, though shame about 3A. Seems to be from the wild jumpers school. Nakata was pretty neat, Memola is even cleaner and even more grown up than everyone else than first time, otherwise, I think they had a rink monster or something in Riga. Good luck in the free to everyone, but particularly to Bodenstein ‘cause predictions… lol!

Off to the women’s skate!

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
OK, now that I have watched more, after my brief real time sojourn:

Congrats to the leaders (Forza Nikolaj!), but another junior find:

Kirk Haugeto, I must stan💓. I had no idea who he was before now, but what a performance, one step sequence after another to which he fully committed. I love Ted and Mark's reaction as well (Most juniors are hesitant they're still learning jumps, Kirk was, eh, jumps, whatever. :laugh:) A skater after my own heart, although the spins that both travel and slow down exponentially at the same time must be improved).

And techno Hall of the Mountain King was perfect. Gosh, I hope he stays with skating. 🤞

ETA: @moonvine evidently he skated at Philly International? Did you see this in person?

Last edited:

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
Been busy so just caught up with the last group, but it was worth it :love2:

Connor Bray is an angel and Chiu Hei Cheung is a legend! I can't imagine skating in someone else's boots and costume with zero warm-up, or trusting my boots to someone else for that matter since wear can warp them (and they are only halfway through the event, too :eek2:). Amazing how he got away with no obvious mistakes beside a doubled jump and step sequence fall. Crossing my fingers Chiu Hei's skates arrive before Saturday so Connor doesn't have to pay a price for being a good Samaritan...

Memola was great as expected and Suto had a really nice step sequence. I liked Supatashvili's music choice and expressive upper body choreo. Li was super cute with great projection (who doesn't love a bejacketed little Kiwi 🥰) and though the jumps didn't work out his technique looks pretty good, so it will be interesting to see how he develops!

Also went back to watch Rio Nakata, whose energy reminds me of a young Yuzu (and landing like Shoma...) And yeah, it is pretty funny to have a Cardiff-born Japanese skater and Toyama-born British skater in the same event :p
I looked up Nicolas Van de Vijver's skate too - he has improved so much since last season, especially components-wise!