2022 NHK Trophy Rhythm Dance | Page 9 | Golden Skate

2022 NHK Trophy Rhythm Dance

IceDancingQueen

Final Flight
Wow! Just caught up! I can’t believe Laurence and Nikolai are first! I’m so pleased for them!! I thought C/B were much stronger here than last time and am glad that they changed the first music cut. It’s a much better RD now. Green/Parsons were so good too. Also love me some Kana and Dai!

peese

Medalist
i am trying to stay up but will only watch my son... he is skating first... then i will probably go to bed in tears LOL
Yay! You might as well watch Stephen right after Conrad! Then...I will allow you to hit the hay! Haha. Conrad is bound to lay down a clean SP right about now!!

skatemd1

On the Ice
Wow! Just caught up! I can’t believe Laurence and Nikolai are first! I’m so pleased for them!! I thought C/B were much stronger here than last time and am glad that they changed the first music cut. It’s a much better RD now. Green/Parsons were so good too. Also love me some Kana and Dai!
Me too. Wow was right. Loved G/P's program - keeps getting better every time. Love all the top three performances. Really great competition and can't wait to see the Free Dance.

rain

Record Breaker
wow... i am stunned and happy at the same time.
My jaw dropped. I thought for sure going into this season that Chock/Bates were the odds on favourites for the worlds gold, and even wondered if they would even be seriously challenged. Now they are looking like underdogs. Their material is just not it this season. There's nothing memorable here.

For them to lose even a segment of a competition to teams like FB/S and Hawayek/Baker is a blaring warning from the judges (not to say that those teams are not deserving, but both had been on a bit of a low, and there is usually a bias towards world medallists).

tsuyoboogie

"Dedicate your heart" & Slay like an Ackerman
Record Breaker
why can't they like both of these wonderful teams ?
I rashly replied to this post earlier and wanted to clarify/elaborate on my reply

I’m not asking or expecting fans of KanaDai to like or cheer for Team Koko
We all have our favorites and can support whomever we want
I just wish those fans who were making rude, potentially confidence crushing statements about Koko would've been considerate enough to have kept these feelings off of twitter where I’m sure it was seen by Misato and Tim

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I rashly replied to this post earlier and wanted to clarify/elaborate on my reply

I just wish those fans who were making rude, potentially confidence crushing statements about Koko would've been considerate enough to have kept these feelings off of twitter where I’m sure it was seen by Misato and Tim
it just shows those fans have never practiced a sport... because when you are competing, you learn respect for your competitors.

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I enjoy Team KoKo a lot. They come with fun and pleasant programs and have proudly carried the banner for Japan for several years. I look forward to seeing them and cheer for them. They enjoy their skating and life and I am happier having watched them.

Go team KoKo:cheer:

synesthesia

Final Flight
Country
Germany

Thank you for rephrasing this.

I’ve been a Dai fan for 12 years and enjoyed Kana and Chris very much. (Btw. there’s an interview with Kana in Life Extra from 2020, in which she revealed that she had a tryout with Tim in late 2014 and almost ended up teaming up with him. It's fascinating to imagine how vastly different the Japanese ice dance landscape would have turned out if they'd gone through with it. 🤯 )

To me Kana is one of the most talented ice dancers Japan has had the privilege to call its own, especially considering she also switched disciplines quite late (at 21) and internalised the required skating and partnering skills in such a short time that people, who didn’t follow her transition, often don’t seem to realise that she had only been practicing ice dance for 4 years when she teamed up with Dai. KanaDai is a dream pairing to me as they inherit all of the qualities I value most in skating in spades (while being aware of their current limitations in other areas).

KoKo’s skating/performance style is not as much to my personal taste, but I respect them for what they contribute to the Japanese dance field and thought they were deserving of the Olympic spot. Tim is yet another member of the late switcher club, who must be commended for doing well in his second discipline. I certainly enjoy seeing how much Misato and him seem to genuinely love skating together and how determined they are to improve, not least thanks to the presence of a strong domestic rival. Internal competition benefits everyone and I’m a little sad that the Japanese senior dance scene is so depleted again – after there were 5 teams at Nationals in 2020 (and 4 in 2021), this year they will be down to only 3. Juniors like KidaMori and Kaho/Yuto are very promising though and I keep my fingers crossed that these teams stay together and have a smooth transition into seniors in the next couple of years.

I do enjoy lots of other couples and have no trouble with technically superior teams beating my faves. That goes for my favourites in other disciplines too.

Although I have half of fs twitter blocked at this point and am thankfully not seeing much of it anymore, it is unfortunately true that there is nastiness directed not only at anyone perceieved as a threat to fan favourites, but at almost every successful/popular skater too (and obviously public figures in all sorts of fields), including Dai, who still gets mocked for the harrassment he was subjected to at the hands of the former JSF-president, is called a pet, who didn’t and doesn’t deserve his scores/placements, is stealing spots from more deserving skaters, never had good skating skills and therefore is hopelessly bad at ice dance, Kana is doing all of the work and her talent was wasted by teaming up with him (I am grateful that Kana stands by his side unwaveringly and continues to vocally recognize his strengths and progress) etc. Former Japanese ice dancer Akiyuki Kido even penned and promoted (on his twitter account) an article about Dai’s “shortcomings”, published right before Worlds this year. Having a lot of (media) attention also has its downside, because everything gets overscrutinised. I have seen some of the ugly comments towards KoKo, that were mentioned here, as well as those towards many other skaters. I’m aware of several skaters, who have spoken up about it, KoKo among them (in an interview for Number bunshun). Unfortunately it is impossible to call out every single instance of this happening. Most of the time it doesn’t even do any good and in many cases the attention just stokes the flames and eggs the culprits on.

On the bright side, now that I’m curating my timeline well, I’m seeing lots of positivity and fans, who support multiple skaters, even direct competitors. That includes fans of both KanaDai and KoKo. Misato and Tim are receiving many supportive comments on their personal twitter and instagram accounts, drowning out the negativity and I hope they as well as other public/popular figures, who are subjected to hurtful words on sns, are able to focus on that. ❤️

Last edited:

yesterday

Record Breaker
Just watched the NHK movie from ISU (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lUB77NozEs)
and suddenly, with the slow motion and all, I felt like there was something familar with Evan 🤔

Chock_Bates_102222_1440x810_Updated.png

GettyImages-1387832403-e1648305328636.jpg

idk maybe it's the shoulders and the cuffs? 😅