2022 Olympics Team Event Day3: Pairs Free Skate | Page 23 | Golden Skate

2022 Olympics Team Event Day3: Pairs Free Skate

Cilla70

On the Ice
Seem to be more people in Canada's box, maybe they were just running late.

Hmmm, well R/J did well...call me mean but I can't get over the double crossing of Eric. Finding a new partner is fine, but stringing your old one along as your Plan B without even telling them your Plan A?That's really low.
There was no stringing along. They were both retired. She wanted to start a family and was coaching. He was working on a skating show with Vanessa and they clicked. Should he have just waited around until she decided to start skating shows again. He had the right to decide his future endeavors just like Meghan.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Still no explanation or acknowledgment of J/R being the only pair chacked on NBC's delayed broadcast of pairs fp.

I'm sure J/R were shown on CBC, but not on NBC, which is watched by a larger public audience in the U.S. than those who watch the Peacock world feed.

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
Looking at the Protocols the judges didn't give J\R a chance.

All the elements are only scored between 0 and 2, Even the more outstanding ones,
Not sure if this is because they went first or because they didn't gain momentum this season,
But I think they did enough for 3rd here.

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
Looking at the Protocols the judges didn't give J\R a chance.

All the elements are only scored between 0 and 2, Even the more outstanding ones,
Not sure if this is because they went first or because they didn't gain momentum this season,
But I think they did enough for 3rd here.
I think momentum is probably their biggest rival at this point. I know it shouldn’t really matter, but they just don’t have a body of work to rely on when it comes to stacking against the other teams, and also, it didn’t help they lost third to the home team, so there’s that.

Cilla70

On the Ice
That was another skate that looked really good to me, but there were a lot of yellow boxes! I love this team, but I don't find this program terribly exciting.
As if your opinion of James/Radford is an earthshaking big deal of any enormous consequence. Collisions in practice happen. There was no intention on the part of either pair for this to occur. J/R were at the very edge of the rink, not blindly moving around in center pathways. Skaters don't have eyes in the sides or backs of their heads. With the speeds they reach, accidents such as this can happen in a split second w/o a lot of warning. There is absolutely no need to make more out of it than necessary. And definitely, there's no need to assign blame to either team.

Did NBC engage in chocking James/Radford????!!! Or, did I miss their skate on NBC, who are way behind the live feed?

Sigh, I get so tired of the overt and subtle dismissiveness and mischaracterization of Vanessa James that has been ongoing. She's courageous and incredibly strong for even trying to forge a long-lasting career in this biased sport.

Cilla70

On the Ice
Thank you for your statement. I have tired of the snarky comments about Vanessa and Eric. I was wondering also about the lack of inclusion of their team in the live broadcast. I was highly disappointed when they were not shown. For some reason the NBC staff decided that their team were the only competitors in the entire event to be excluded from being televised live. One African American Figure Skater competing at the entire Olympics and they completely dismissed her and her partner as not worthy enough to show their live performance. As an African American grandmother I had looked forward to showing my grandchildren an example of the results of hard work no matter who you are. I am highly disappointed in their actions. They talk about inclusiveness but missed a perfect opportunity to show an example of that inclusiveness.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Thank you for your statement. I have tired of the snarky comments about Vanessa and Eric. I was wondering also about the lack of inclusion of their team in the live broadcast. I was highly disappointed when they were not shown. For some reason the NBC staff decided that their team were the only competitors in the entire event to be excluded from being televised live. One African American Figure Skater competing at the entire Olympics and they completely dismissed her and her partner as not worthy enough to show their live performance. As an African American grandmother I had looked forward to showing my grandchildren an example of the results of hard work no matter who you are. I am highly disappointed in their actions. They talk about inclusiveness but missed a perfect opportunity to show an example of that inclusiveness.
Of course, they are Canadian so they were shown on both French and English CBC, but all the other teams were also shown. Everyone was included on my local channels.

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
shallow and silly comments nobody asked me for:

-why did Canada split pairs?

- i want to see Miura/Kihara challenge other teams for major medals

- Mishina/Galliamov didn't look in top shape from the start, but i didn't see that fall coming. i hope they're fine

- i've been missing Peng/Jin, they're so much better than this

lesnar001

Record Breaker
I'm p***ed I didn't get to see Vanessa James & Eric Radford. on NBC.

I assumed it was because NBC's coverage of the GS ski event overlapped?
Were other broadcast missing their performance also?

lesnar001

Record Breaker
M/G have great technique, but they were slow and underwhelming. Their music does not suit them at all. The change to more colorful costumes is nice. But all the embiggening of this team is OTT. They are young, and they have more to do and to improve. I look forward to S/H prevailing in the singles event for gold. S/H have certainly contributed a lot and been through so much in pursuit of a gold medal.

J/R were apparently left off NBC broadcast with no explanation. I find that disgusting. Certainly, the judges kept J/R's scores slightly down. With the mistakes by P/J, J/R should have placed ahead, not one point behind. Sigh.
Sui/Han are the sentimental favorites for me, and I agree they are far more refined. But I think they will have to be at their absolute best in the Pairs event. I hope there aren't any errors that creep in like in 2018. And I do not expect that M/G will make any mistakes like they did here. I don't want to see that. I want to see both teams skate their absolute best.

I haven't really followed pairs much since 2018, but I'm really looking forward to their "showdown". It could be very exciting.

I was very impressed tonight with M/G's jumps in particular. That combination looked so difficult. Very strong team indeed.

That fall at the end was too scary. It could have been a disaster.

Tamara Moskvina worked wonders with M/D in 1994 when they kept missing a lift in practice, and she helped Oksana Kazakova overcome something with the death spiral (IIRC), so I think she'll be able to drive any negative effects of this fall out of of M/G's minds.

rain

Record Breaker
Of course, they are Canadian so they were shown on both French and English CBC, but all the other teams were also shown. Everyone was included on my local channels.
James/Radford skated better than they have all season. It's bizarre that the American station would ditch their performance and show everyone else. Actually, with fields this small (only 5) there's not excuse not to show everyone, in my opinion. Thank goodness I have CBC. Even if you miss the televised event you can easily go to the video on their website.

CBC has had excellent coverage of the Olympics so far. My only quibble is that I'd like to see more of the mixed ski jumping where Canada won an absolutely historic bronze (Canada often does not even have athletes who qualify for this sport, and it's one I absolutely love watching).

rollerblade

Record Breaker
HiI'm p***ed I didn't get to see Vanessa James & Eric Radford. on NBC.

nbcolympics website has their FS, and many more from the Team Event. Not geoblocked in the US (I assume). Only bad is - it's with Johnny+Tara commentary lol.

s_parks

Record Breaker
Tamara Moskvina worked wonders with M/D in 1994 when they kept missing a lift in practice, and she helped Oksana Kazakova overcome something with the death spiral (IIRC), so I think she'll be able to drive any negative effects of this fall out of of M/G's minds.
I agree; moskvina obviously knows what she's doing, especially when it comes to big moments, and M/G are very steady. I just hope he isn't concussed(very overlooked in sports in general). That looked like a hard hit to the head.

withwings

On the Ice
It is hard even to imagine the pressure of that negative energy on J/R...despite they delivered their best skate so far.

one drop of dirt can destroy a bucket of fresh water... so one person's heart/mouth full of darkness and its was enough for a chain reaction for all those full of dark spirit

all respect to J/R for they love of sport/figure skating and for they ability to hope, to believe and to skate

Imho Eric as a skater had not yet had an opportunity to skate up to his vision of skating; to be in his artistic freedom; so he was there more or less there for Meagan ( which is great of course) to accomplish her dream.

IMO Eric and Vanessa both now can be in their artistic freedom, without any pressure to win, win! all what they need is a good coach and choreographer who can guide them in their journey; a coach with good vision where to lead them. Either R/J will accomplish their dream/journey is unfathomable... Age can be a factor. And coach. There has to be a coach who has an experience, and a vision. Skaters cannot guide themselves, a presence of good guide is must.

I am not a fan of their current choreo or music. IMO it would be great for them to skate to classical music.They both would be great to skate Chopin for example...to try, to risk, to explore and to find.

Last edited:

Cilla70

On the Ice
I'm p***ed I didn't get to see Vanessa James & Eric Radford. on NBC.

It think they were not shown on the live NBC broadcast in the USA. Has anyone heard if there were any repercussions from the fall of M/G. Hope they are ok. After watching M/G, K/F and Kamila on day 3, I think doing both short and free programs was too much. Kamila looked like she was sick. Being a child she probably needed a good hug.