2022 Skate America Rhythm Dance | Page 15 | Golden Skate

2022 Skate America Rhythm Dance

theblade

On the Ice
I am going to say it. The two French-born men, Theo and Romain, had the most authentic Latin dance vibe for me (Romain was a tad more theatrical). I want sincere musical expression for the joy of it, not post-modern interpretations. (I felt other male dancers were sincere as well, just not quite as adept at channeling the music; still liked them.) So these two gentlemen resonated for me.

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
I do honestly think the programs are worse on average this season than in 2017-18 and I blame the lack of pattern for that. Too much generic "Latin feeling" and not enough actual specificity of intention. I'm not saying we didn't get muddles before, but at least everyone had to do the rhumba pattern to a specific beat. It's really unfortunate to lump so many types of dancing from multiple countries into one category and there doesn't seem to be much reward for the teams who actually research and study a particular dance vs copying a JLo music video.

That's not to say there's nothing good here, and I still enjoyed KanaDai and Kaitlin/Jean-Luc (who both went specific IMO) and Chock/Bates (who didn't, but who also pretty clearly weren't aiming for authenticity, and since the rules allow for it, why not? It's not like Despacito is really rhumba... to the best of my knowledge, anyway) and I expect I'll keep finding good moments through the season. But I really hope next year we get a clearer choice for the RD, and something we haven't literally just done barely five years ago. I also hope the pattern comes back in some form, so we can actually compare apples to apples again.

litenkyckling

Final Flight
I do honestly think the programs are worse on average this season than in 2017-18 and I blame the lack of pattern for that. Too much generic "Latin feeling" and not enough actual specificity of intention. I'm not saying we didn't get muddles before, but at least everyone had to do the rhumba pattern to a specific beat. It's really unfortunate to lump so many types of dancing from multiple countries into one category and there doesn't seem to be much reward for the teams who actually research and study a particular dance vs copying a JLo music video.

That's not to say there's nothing good here, and I still enjoyed KanaDai and Kaitlin/Jean-Luc (who both went specific IMO) and Chock/Bates (who didn't, but who also pretty clearly weren't aiming for authenticity, and since the rules allow for it, why not? It's not like Despacito is really rhumba... to the best of my knowledge, anyway) and I expect I'll keep finding good moments through the season. But I really hope next year we get a clearer choice for the RD, and something we haven't literally just done barely five years ago. I also hope the pattern comes back in some form, so we can actually compare apples to apples again.
just a waltz will do me!

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Sour grapes from Beatrice.
Boy, did JGP season REALLY spoil my perception of Ice Dance in general...But after every high, the low is inevitable to happen. Very few 'dances', some attempts at 'performance', way too much of stiff body movement and off beat body action for Latin rhythms chosen for this year.
I feel like some teams competing there have one, uniform pattern of how to construct (and, unfortunately, perform) their every program, but judges clearly did not care, at all.
The closest to my liking (but still somehow incomplete)? Kaitlin and Jean-Luc. While I am so-so about the quality/polish of their packaging, the aesthetic and musical choice play up to their favor. And they really seems to enjoy that theme, performing to it.

Not really sure about that Bowie remix for Chock/Bates RD, at all. With ISU not so wisely getting rid of rhythm pattern portion of RHYTHM Dance (...), that RD looks like something more thematically/musically fit into previous season, except Madison with more sparkly/Latin ballroom-themed dress (looking fabulous btw). It just doesn't have the particular feel of capturing the rhythms assigned for me. Maybe it was deliberate choice, to set them apart, but I'm not convinced it singles them out in a way they desired.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
the caller decimated S/F and also Daisuke. and gave insane level calls to Harris Chan who just got hammered at Nebelhorn.
? I was just asking about other Canadian couple. I quite liked H/C

rain

Record Breaker
I love C/B and love Bowie but not sure about this program. It feels like the 2nd piece of music needs to pick up more speed - the song changed but the tempo kinda stayed the same which made it feel a bit flat until they got to the dancier Bowie version at the end. If they were wearing plain back costumes I’m not sure it would have kept my attention. Their amazing packaging elevates what did feel like very generic choreo, which kills me to say cause I love them. Hopefully they will tweak it as the season goes on.
She can always be counted on to be the best dressed, that's for sure. And I agree about how generic the program is. If they want to be world champions I want to see something better.

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
Now that I can type again (had vaccinations in both arms Friday), I have to agree with everyone who is missing the pattern. It doesn't feel like an RD without a pattern. I mildly enjoyed some of the programs. Considering that ID is my favorite discipline that's just sad.
I also would have put H/B ahead of C/B, but something is lacking in that program as well. The costumes aren't that problematic, just get Jean-Luc some sleeve ruffles in Kaitlyn's dress colors. I think I want them to go full ham with this program; it feels a bit restrained if the inspiration was "I Love Lucy". Imagine if they finished with "Babaloo".
Madi and Evan looked like a million bucks. Their actual skating didn't look anywhere near as expensive. I found myself wondering if Madi has trouble breathing through her nose because I was so distracted by her inability to close her mouth while she skates.
Last but not least, I wish US Figure skating could find sponsors that don't constantly remind me that I'm old, forgetful and smelly.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
In their interview with Jason, Kaitlin explains the RD costuming: (as we thought, Lucy Ricardo :) 🇨🇺)