2023-24 Coaching, Country and Discipline Changes | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2023-24 Coaching, Country and Discipline Changes

Mariott

Now the flower is making its way through concrete
Record Breaker
Country
Russia
Taisiya Scherbinina (women's singles, Russia) has moved from singles to pairs skating and is paired with Artem Petrov. The new pair trains in the group of Pavel Slyusarenko (Moscow, Russia).

AlexBreeze

Record Breaker
Country
Russia
Daniels Kockers on changing countries:

It just so happened that I had to change the federation, because there were problems with Latvian federation, some misunderstandings with each other. Because of that, I decided to change my sports citizenship to Lithuanian. This is my mother's homeland. Now I am a full-fledged citizen of Lithuania and I will compete for it. That means that I have nothing to do with Latvia in terms of figure skating anymore. And I missed the season to be able to represent Lithuania.

I can't tell you everything, but it was partly because of my withdrawal from the Junior World Championships. That is, it was one of the problems because of which I needed to change something. Lithuania is my mother's homeland, she was born in Vilnius. And I have always liked Lithuania as a country very much. There was even a moment in my life when we were going to move there as a family, but in the end we changed our minds. There were no offers from other federations, I didn't even announce it anywhere. There was just an option to skate for Lithuania because of the fact that only citizenship was required, so I chose it. So far I live in Latvia, nothing has changed in this regard. Now I am training myself, I am working on getting back in shape after a rest. So far, it is going a little hard, but I am recovering.

Cr: Daniels' interview

lileychristie

Lee-lay
Medalist
Country
Australia
Yuma Kagiyama has added Carolina Kostner in his coaching team as per the ISU app! Very exciting :biggrin:

AIL4fc88tV4o4XxCG8l_r8OgxvTRYOZFgkbMTdhl-7g7Md-AOEYwz_GEjMOHAg_DpiRhlgNDh3NHUqhByBtYNdvKMh8MpxGZFo5Z5ipfUCdceULheTxGUAtYknHqgGbUsCvNBLm99OYukm4kjbKRstpLvjsuig=w1080-h1430-s-no

IceDancingQueen

Final Flight
Does anyone know if the Russian ice dance pair of Kaganovsky and Angépol have split? I’ve just seen a photo of Angepol with Polina Usova on IG and noticed Kaganovsky doesn’t seem to be following Angepol anymore.

AlexBreeze

Record Breaker
Country
Russia
Does anyone know if the Russian ice dance pair of Kaganovsky and Angépol have split? I’ve just seen a photo of Angepol with Polina Usova on IG and noticed Kaganovsky doesn’t seem to be following Angepol anymore.
No, they haven't. Vasilisa has unfollowed Valera a lot of time ago. They had a conflict in the off-season, but they didn't split. As for Polina, they are likely just dating.

IceDancingQueen

Final Flight
No, they haven't. Vasilisa has unfollowed Valera a lot of time ago. They had a conflict in the off-season, but they didn't split. As for Polina, they are likely just dating.
Oh interesting - I wonder how that conflict will affect their on ice partnership…

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
So, as expected, since Gabbie and Thierry are on the funding of Patinage Québec, Gabbie has revealed that she will be competing for Canada. They don't have a date for her release but she said in the TSL interview that it won't be this year. The feds are working together on that. They will be doing sectionals, challenge and Nationals in Canada and international events will probably come next year. They plan to include the SBS 3flip. Throws would be lutz and loop.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
What a softball TSL interview with Gabbie Izzo. 😉 It was great seeing Gabbie, and learning about her transition from U.S. singles to learning pairs. And now we know that it was Spencer Howe (Gabbie's bf) who told her that Canadian pairs skater, Thierry Ferland, was looking for a partner (after a split with Lori-Ann Matte, who was recuperating from an injury). I speculate that both respective feds want Gabbie & Thierry to gloss over the mix-up where WASApairs posted about their new partnership, and then quickly removed the post.

In the TSL interview, Gabbie said she went to Canada for a tryout with Thierry, yet anyone who's followed closely knows that Thierry was definitely in Colorado as well. There was a post on WASApairs of Gabbie and Thierry doing a throw jump. And another post of Thierry & Gabbie hiking in Colorado's Garden of the Gods with skaters from the rink. Spencer was there visiting too, on that occasion.

I don't feel the whole mix-up with WASA jumping the gun needs to be dwelled on. But at the very least, there could have been a brief mention in the TSL interview that repping Canada made sense due to a possible quicker turnaround for Gabbie gaining Canadian citizenship, rather than vice versa.

The fact the country rep question was glossed over, and the fact that Thierry was in Colorado is purposely not mentioned, makes it seem like Skate Canada told Thierry they would not be releasing him. So, Thierry obviously returned to Canada, and Gabbie followed. The negotiations for Gabbie's release between SC and US figsk then began, and are obviously ongoing. Gabbie mentioned there's no set date, so that means U.S. fed is not releasing her quickly. Understandably so. I think they didn't release Deanna till close to two years. But Max & Deanna used that time to their advantage to be ready when international opportunities came.

I think it makes great sense for Gabbie & Thierry to skate for Canada. No matter which country they had ended up skating for, rising to the top is clearly possible via skill and hard work.

In any case, the U.S. will truly be helping SC by giving up two feisty, talented U.S. skaters, who will benefit the Canadian pairs discipline. I mean, of course, Deanna has already done so in her partnership with Maxime (Canada's #1 pairs team, competitive for international podiums). I wonder what the negotiations for Gabbie are entailing...

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
What a softball TSL interview with Gabbie. 😉 It was great seeing Gabbie, and learning about her transition to pairs. And now we know that it was Spencer Howe (Gabbie's bf) who told her that Thierry was looking for a partner. But I speculate that both feds want Gabbie & Thierry to gloss over the mix-up where WASApairs posted about their new partnership, and then quickly removed the post.

In the interview, Gabbie said she went to Canada for a tryout with Thierry, yet anyone who's followed closely knows that Thierry was definitely in Colorado as well. There was a post on WASApairs of Gabbie and Thierry doing a throw jump. And another post of Thierry & Gabbie hiking in Colorado's Garden of the Gods with skaters from the rink. Spencer was there visiting too, on that occasion.

I don't feel the whole mix-up with WASA jumping the gun needs to be dwelled on. But at the very least, there could have been a brief mention in the TSL interview that repping Canada made sense due to a possible quicker turnaround for Gabbie gaining Canadian citizenship, rather than vice versa.

The fact the country rep question was glossed over, and the fact that Thierry was in Colorado is purposely not mentioned, makes it seem like Skate Canada told Thierry they would not be releasing him. So, Thierry obviously returned to Canada, and Gabbie followed. The negotiations for Gabbie's release between SC and US figsk then began, and are obviously ongoing. Gabbie mentioned there's no set date, so that means U.S. fed is not releasing her quickly. Understandably so. I think they didn't release Deanna till close to two years. But Max & Deanna used that time to their advantage to be ready when international opportunities came.

I think it makes great sense for Gabbie & Thierry to skate for Canada. No matter which country they had ended up skating for, rising to the top is clearly possible via skill and hard work.

In any case, the U.S. will truly be helping SC by giving up two feisty, talented U.S. skaters, who will benefit the Canadian pairs discipline. I mean, of course, Deanna has already done so in her partnership with Maxime (Canada's #1 pairs team, competitive for international podiums). I wonder what the negotiations for Gabbie are entailing...
In the interview, Gabby said she went to try out with Thierry quite early on in June. It is quite possible she went up there and then returned to the USA. We have all seen the posts of both of them being in the USA... which came later.

There is no need to talk about WASA pairs, not sure why it should be brought up. Someone posted something they shouldn't have posted and removed it... End of story. It happens all the time.

Please do not make assumptions about Skate Canada releasing Thierry or not. Rumours of that sort are actually not appreciated (are they even allowed on this site ?). Tons of skaters have been released by Canada in recent years, including Adcock who represented Korea, just last year.

Yes, Gabbie and Thierry will not skate internationally for a while, just like Deanna and Max but Gabbie admits she has a lot to learn and they want to learn elements well, which takes time. No rush for them to compete, especially with the field in pairs in Canada right now. Considering their age, they would be strong candidates for the 2030 cycle. Yup, that's far but beyond the release, there will also be the need to get citizenship if Olympics participation is their ultimate goal.

You know, Gabbie mentioned trying with Misha and Balasz as well... It's quite possible that she went to try with Thierry, he was in... she went back the states... tried with others... Misha said he wanted a more experienced partner, Balasz got a partnership secured... and then, she may have decided that there was no one at the moment in the USA for her.

The USA didn't give two feisty partners to the Canadian field. The Canadian skaters were chosen by these US women as being the best for their career, just like Canadian Belbin chose Agosto or Canadian Carreira chose Ponomarenko... It's not a gift... it's something Thierry earned... as a matter of fact, Thierry should be really admired for starting from scratch with a partner without experience, and on top of that who is not released yet.... Let me remind you that Thierry wasn't able to compete almost of all of last year due to Lori Ann's injury, and with the covid lockdown, his career has been really slowed down in the recent years, while he is at the peak of his form. Skating fans should see his merit in, yet again, putting his international career on pause until his new partner is released. Other US skaters had the options of teaming up with Izzo and they turned it down. Simple as that. I don't see this as a gift at all, if the USA doesn't have a suitable partner for Gabbie.

I saw them at CQÉ and they looked super happy and were joking around and encouraging all the skaters there. Let's just celebrate this new exciting partnership !

Last edited:

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I'm not bringing up any rumors. It has already been discussed here that SC had told skaters requesting releases, they would not be granted easily. Also, the very fact of WASApairs jumping the gun, is well known, and it was also discussed here on GS when it happened. I specifically said it's not something to be dwelt on. But it certainly led to questioning and wondering by fans. It makes sense in an interview to at least briefly talk about the country rep decision. It would have been simple enough to point out the quicker path to citizenship in Canada, and then move on. The fact that this topic was completely avoided shows that it's a sensitive issue.

I was a bit surprised because TSL always tends to probe. Dave was probably trying to be on his best behavior since they don't tend to get many interviews with competitive skaters. They mostly, in recent years, have gotten interviews with certain coaches and retired old-timers. Their interviews have always been very good. Dave recently did an excellent interview with Paul Wylie.

The Gabbie interview is also very good. Gabbie is lovely and she was very forthcoming and enthusiastic about the process of transitioning to pairs. Thanks for the background on Thierry. I've always enjoyed watching him in his previous partnership with Lori-Ann.

I haven't said anything that is looking down on this new partnership. Quite the contrary. I clearly noted that Gabbie & Thierry would do well, no matter which country they represented. I also pointed out the obvious boon Canada has received with Deanna, and will be receiving with Gabbie.

It will be interesting to see which country Lori-Ann will rep with her new partner from France.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
The USA didn't give two feisty partners to the Canadian field.
Obviously, it worked out well for both Gabbie & Deanna that they found great pairs partners who hail from Canada. And it makes sense for them both to represent Canada, and to pursue Canadian citizenship. But clearly, the U.S. is giving them up to the Canadian pairs discipline by giving each of them their release, which is necessary for them each to represent Canada.

There has clearly been a twofold benefit between Canada and the U.S., with the numbers of skaters that have previously been shared between both countries (i.e., Tanith Belbin, Kaitlyn Weaver, Christina Carreira, Mervin Tran, Joshua Reagan, et al.)

I also notice recently a lot of sharing and camaraderie between U.S. and Canadian pairs coaches and skaters, documented on social media.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Obviously, it worked out well for both Gabbie & Deanna that they found great pairs partners who hail from Canada. And it makes sense for them both to represent Canada, and to pursue Canadian citizenship. But clearly, the U.S. is giving them up to the Canadian pairs discipline by giving each of them their release, which is necessary for them each to represent Canada.

There has clearly been a twofold benefit between Canada and the U.S., with the numbers of skaters that have previously been shared between both (i.e., Tanith Belbin, Kaitlyn Weaver, Christina Carreira, Mervin Tran, Joshua Reagan, et al.)

I also notice recently a lot of sharing and camaraderie between U.S. and Canadian pairs coaches and skaters, documented on social media.
Thank you for recognizing it goes both ways. That was my point.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Thank you for recognizing it goes both ways. That was my point.
I never said it didn't go both ways. I hope you recognize and accept the obvious points I have made as well. Clearly, it is a better choice for Gabbie & Thierry in Canada re the citizenship issue. And clearly, there was some kind of mix-up or miscommunication that led to WASApairs' post, which was quickly removed.

Obviously, SC would not be willing to lose a talented pairs guy like Thierry. I'm sure that the U.S. is not happy to lose Gabbie either. But she was frustrated in her singles career. And yes, Gabbie is new to pairs, but clearly, she's catching on fast and extremely well in learning pairs elements. Fortunately, the U.S. has quality, experienced pairs teams, in addition to quite a number of very promising new pairs partnerships, with experienced skaters coming together, and with talented young up-and-comers. That surely makes the U.S. decision to release Gabbie, a bit easier to satisfactorily negotiate.

BTW, Misha Mitrofanov had been trying out with some younger singles skaters with no pairs experience, and it didn't pan out. So, that's probably why he set his mind toward finding an experienced pairs partner, which he has succeeded in accomplishing. It's a boon to Gabbie & Thierry that Gabbie got such a great head start, working out with Misha, Danny, Drew, Chris K, and receiving tips and advice from Spencer.

We don't know the chronology of the Balasz/ Chelsea coming together. Most likely, Balasz already had feelers out before returning to the U.S. from Hungary. It makes sense that he too was looking for an experienced partner, and he most likely had already contacted Chelsea. Globally, it's difficult to find partners in both pairs and ice dance.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Okay, for skaters who are mentioned in this thread for the first time, can we please have full names? I have no idea who 'Gabbie and Thierry' are, though I can assume the guy is Thierry Ferland, whose name rings a bell with me. Since jumps are mentioned, I suppose they're a new Canadian pair. But since the only Gabbie mentioned here until this series of posts was Gabby Daleman, can I just ask that someone please tell me the girl's surname, and post full names next time when posting a change? Thanks.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Thierry Ferland and Gabbie Izzo (who used to skate single's for the US) who will be skating pairs for Canada. Both Fed's are (US and Can) seem to be working on it, but this season will just be domestic competitions.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Okay, for skaters who are mentioned in this thread for the first time, can we please have full names? I have no idea who 'Gabbie and Thierry' are, though I can assume the guy is Thierry Ferland, whose name rings a bell with me. Since jumps are mentioned, I suppose they're a new Canadian pair. But since the only Gabbie mentioned here until this series of posts was Gabby Daleman, can I just ask that someone please tell me the girl's surname, and post full names next time when posting a change? Thanks.
The pairs partnership between Gabbie Izzo (a former U.S. singles skater) and Thierry Ferland was discussed on GS earlier this summer, probably in the New partnerships/ splits/ retirements thread. A post with a photo of G&T was made on Instagram by World Arena Skating Academy (WASA pairs) in Colorado, announcing the new partnership. The post was quickly removed, apparently due to no mutual decision having been finalized regarding which country they would represent. Fans had been left wondering, but in recent weeks, it's been well known that G&T have been training in Canada. And they were recently signed up for Canadian domestic events.

TSL Dave has posted a thread on GS forum linking a recent interview with Gabbie. Thus, Gabbie Izzo's partnership with Thierry Ferland (representing Canada) is confirmed. An official press release is probably on hold, while negotiations for Gabbie's release take place between Canadian and U.S. federations.