2023-24 Japanese Nationals - where to watch | Golden Skate

2023-24 Japanese Nationals - where to watch

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
FYI now that I have successfully obtained a $3 three day trial for MujiTV, I was allowed to purchase a month of live and on demand for two weeks 56 Channel (I see more, actually) subscription. The new due date is 1-17-24 which appears at the top of my screen. The recharge process is fairly painless. One goes to
Clicks on the second of big red TVs labeled 56 channel, clicks on the Recharge code for one month, and follows the prompts. Till one gets the icloud screen, which you ignore. I pay using a credit card but I believe it still goes through pay pal. I will check that out. At any rate, in a minute a new code number will be sent to you, via email, and you click on the recharge button on the Muji screen and enter the recharge number. As I recall when I first did this years ago, there is a pretty good FAQ section and if all else fails, there is a help button where you can email for help and they are very helpful and got me going years ago.

Remember to make notes of all passwords, user names, account numbers and recharge codes in case you have issues and have to contact Help.

I am still open to anyone else who has a way to get Japan TV with all the right channels on demand. Gonna check my pay pal account now. In the promo, they say they will take pay pal or a CC....but so far all I see is Paypal where you can indeed pay with a CC.
Indeed, my credit card was charged both times through PayPal, so if anyone figures out how to just use a CC, let me know.

Last edited:

tsuyoboogie

"Dedicate your heart" & Slay like an Ackerman
Record Breaker
Already posted this in the Japan Nationals General Info thread but thought it would be a useful reference in this thread as well

2023 Japan National Championships Broadcast Schedule (All times JST)
Competition Schedule
Fuji TV Broadcast Schedule

FOD (Fuji ON Demand) will livestream the entire competition including Medalist On Ice (Gala)

I'll try to add livestream links to this post as they become available

Wednesday 12.20
Opening Ceremony & SP/RD Draw6:30pm~7:30pmFuji TV SPORTS Youtube channel

Thursday 12.21
EventBroadcast Time (JST)Broadcast Channel / PlatformDelivery
Pairs SP3:00pm~3:30pmCS Fuji TV TWO, FOD PremiumLIVE
Men SP Groups 1~33:50pm~6:30pmCS Fuji TV TWOLIVE
Men SP Groups 4, 5?7:00pm~8:54pmFuji TV, TVerPart Live, Part Tape delayed?
Men SP Groups 1~53:50pm~8:12pmFOD PremiumLIVE

Friday 12.22
Ice Dance RD2:30pm~3:30pmCS Fuji TV TWO, FOD PremiumLIVE
Women SP Groups 1~33:50pm~6:30pmCS Fuji TV TWOLIVE
Women SP Groups 2, 34:55pm~6:30pmBS FujiLIVE
Women SP Groups 4, 5?7:00pm~8:54pmFuji TV, TVerPart Live, Part Tape delayed?
Women SP Groups 1~53:50pm~8:05pmFOD PremiumLIVE

Saturday 12:23
Pairs FS + Awards Ceremony?3:00pm~3:30pmCS Fuji TV TWO, FOD PremiumLIVE
Men FS Groups 1, 24:30pm~6:30pmCS Fuji TV TWOLIVE
Men FS Groups 1, 25:00pm~6:30pmBS FujiLIVE
Men FS Groups 3, 46:30pm~9:00pmFuji TVLIVE
Men FS Groups 3, 47:06pm~9:00pmTVerLIVE
Men FS Groups 1~4 + Awards Ceremony?4:30pm~9:10pmFOD PremiumLIVE

Sunday 12.24
Competition EventBroadcast Time (JST)Broadcast Channel / PlatformDelivery
Ice Dance FD + Awards Ceremony?2:30pm~4:00pmCS Fuji TV TWO, FOD PremiumLIVE
Women FS Groups 1, 25:00pm~7:00pmBS Fuji, CS Fuji TV TWOLIVE
Women FS Groups 3, 47:00pm~9:20pmFuji TVLIVE
Women FS Groups 3, 47:08pm~9:20pmTVerLIVE
Women FS Groups 1~4 + Awards Ceremony?5:00pm~9:20pmFOD PremiumLIVE

Monday 12.25
Medalist On Ice3:00pm~6:00pmCS Fuji TV TWO, FOD PremiumLIVE
Medalist On Ice3:45pm~5:43pmFuji TVLIVE

Last edited:

tsuyoboogie

Record Breaker
Sorry for the delay, I had family visiting from out of town~ :pray:
I also, apologize for this way too long post! 😵‍💫
Hope it's...helpful?

Suggestions for How and Where to Watch Japanese Nationals

FOD (Fuji On Demand)
FOD (Fuji On Demand) Premium will be livestreaming the entire competition, including Medalist On Ice (Gala)
Unless changes are made, the FOD stream will likely look different from the other Fuji broadcasts
Benefits of FOD:
  • Convenience~One livestream link per day, no need to switch channels between or during events
  • No commercial or fluff breaks interrupting warmups, performances or Kiss & Cry reactions
  • Prerecorded interviews and other content featuring Japanese skaters, might be shown during ice resurfacing
  • New Feature Since Sectionals (iirc), the livestream is now “rewindable” :yahoo:
What you won’t get with FOD
  • Commentary
  • Post skate interviews
  • A variety of camera angles, close ups
  • Fancy graphics (Ice Scope, Ice Stats, PPC during 6 min warmup, elements executed vs PPC after performance)
The only graphic usually displayed on FOD livestreams is an image showing the program music of upcoming skaters during 6 min warmup

To access FOD programming you will need to purchase a subscription (976 yen per month) and use a VPN set to Japan if viewing from outside of the country
Current promotion with a new subscription~
200 yen (approx $1.40 US) for the first month, 976 yen (approx $6.85 US) from the second month on, cancel anytime
You can purchase a subscription here
Japan address and phone number not needed to set up an account

I will add direct links to FOD's Nationals streams as soon as they become available

Streaming service to access Japanese TV Channels
CS FUJI TV Two will be the only channel besides FOD broadcasting the Pairs (Pair 😢) and Ice Dance events Live
In order to watch the entire competition Live without FOD, you will need to access a combination of CS Fuji TV Two and
either Fuji TV or TVer
Unfortunately, Muji TV does not currently offer a plan that includes CS Fuji TV TWO

Nozomi
Nozomi Standard (60 Channels) Includes Fuji TV, BS Fuji and CS FUJI TV TWO
Service not available in Japan, Mainland China or the Netherlands
3 Day Test for $3
I believe there is a 7 Day subscription for $6 or $7 however, this option did not appear until after I purchased a 3 Day Test
I was able to buy two 3 Day Tests at once
I’ve activated one subscription to test the stream quality which is excellent
Waiting to see if I'm able to activate the other 3 Day Test after the first one expires
If using on Windows PC or Mac, a video player streaming Japanese channels specific to your subscription will be installed onto your computer
You will likely have to allow the file to be installed

Himawari
Himawari Plus (97 Channels) includes Fuji TV, BS Fuji and CS FUJI TV TWO
Service not available in Japan and Mainland China
3 Day Test for $4
7 Day Plan for $8
Does not install a player onto your computer, utilizes a webplayer
Recommended for use on Android devices (Warning: Cannot be installed on Google Pixel 7 phones 😞)
If viewing on Windows PC or Mac, you may need to contact customer support to activate webplayer access and to receive an ID (likely starting with AADB followed by nine numbers) and a password to log in
Link to webplayer —> http://webtv.hmfyw.net/

Kaeri TV
Kaeri TV PLus (90 Channels) Includes Fuji TV, BS Fuji and CS FUJI TV TWO
3 Day Trial for $3 (Must be purchased along with either a Monthly or Yearly Plan)
Monthly Plan for $26 (the $18.25 per month that’s shown is the cost per month if you were to purchase a Yearly subscription)
After the 3 Day Trial period is over you will automatically be charged for the Monthly (or Yearly) Plan until cancelled
High quality streams but pricey!
Like Nozomi, Kaeri TV installs a video player onto your computer
After purchasing, you may need to wait awhile to receive the Kaeri ID and default password for set up (site says it should be sent within
12 hours 😳)
Iirc, I received this info within maybe 20~30 minutes?...but with Nozomi and Himawari, emails containing necessary info is sent almost immediately after purchase

Tver
Free streaming service, VPN needed if viewing outside of Japan
No account needed to access streams, registering just gives you more service options
TVer Men's SP (Groups 4 & 5?) link
TVer Women's SP (Groups 4 & 5?) link
TVer Men's FS (Groups 3 & 4) link
TVer Women's FS (Groups 3 & 4) link

EDIT: Check out SYWTWFS for more options

VPNs
Geo-blocked Japanese sites are notoriously difficult to access
I’ve been using Express VPN for years and it’s proven to be extremely reliable (for me)
And when I did have a technical issue early on, customer support was exceptional
However, there is no free option and plans are quite expensive
They do offer a 30 day money back guarantee :shrug:

Last year, quite a few people mentioned they were able to access blocked Japanese sites with the free version of Proton VPN
I tried testing Proton (free version) but was unable to figure out how to select “Japan” without the paid plan
Anyone with knowledge and experience using Proton VPN successfully or with any other VPN suggestions, please share! :thank:

Other options for viewing the competition
Everyone's favorite, “coming in clutch” figure skating fanstreamer usually streams this competition
If and when I see him go live, I’ll post a link

I plan to upload video of each performance by every skater/team competing (I will be recording from the FOD livestream)
At the end of each day, after all events are completed, I will compile links to video of all performances from that day into one post
I will try my best to get these videos processed and uploaded asap however, it will likely take me more than a few hours to finish
There will probably be Youtube and “X” accounts sharing videos of select skaters before I’m able to post
Videos uploaded to Youtube will most likely be taken from the TV broadcasts

If anyone has questions, suggestions or corrections regarding this post (or any other post I make) please, if at all possible reply or ask me in the thread
I'm one of those people who for some reason have an aversion to checking dms and notifications so avoid doing so unless I'm told to
I apologize if you've messaged me a question before and I've never replied
I wasn't trying to ignore you, I just didn't see your dm :pray:

Last edited:

tsuyoboogie

Record Breaker
FYI now that I have successfully obtained a $3 three day trial for MujiTV, I was allowed to purchase a month of live and on demand for two weeks 56 Channel (I see more, actually) subscription. The new due date is 1-17-24 which appears at the top of my screen. The recharge process is fairly painless. One goes to
Clicks on the second of big red TVs labeled 56 channel, clicks on the Recharge code for one month, and follows the prompts. Till one gets the icloud screen, which you ignore. I pay using a credit card but I believe it still goes through pay pal. I will check that out. At any rate, in a minute a new code number will be sent to you, via email, and you click on the recharge button on the Muji screen and enter the recharge number. As I recall when I first did this years ago, there is a pretty good FAQ section and if all else fails, there is a help button where you can email for help and they are very helpful and got me going years ago.

Remember to make notes of all passwords, user names, account numbers and recharge codes in case you have issues and have to contact Help.

I am still open to anyone else who has a way to get Japan TV with all the right channels on demand. Gonna check my pay pal account now. In the promo, they say they will take pay pal or a CC....but so far all I see is Paypal where you can indeed pay with a CC.
Indeed, my credit card was charged both times through PayPal, so if anyone figures out how to just use a CC, let me know.
Hi @CoyoteChris 😊
Not sure if you're already aware but unfortunately MujiTV doesn't offer a package that streams Fuji TV TWO (a CS channel)
Besides FOD, Fuji TV TWO is the only channel airing the Pairs and Ice Dance events, as well as Men's SP Groups 1~3 and possibly Women's SP Group 1
I'll be posting info on some other options soon~

Last edited:

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
Sorry for the delay, I had family visiting from out of town~ :pray:
I also, apologize for this way too long post! 😵‍💫
Hope it's...helpful?

Suggestions for How and Where to Watch Japanese Nationals

FOD (Fuji On Demand)
FOD (Fuji On Demand) Premium will be livestreaming the entire competition, including Medalist On Ice (Gala)
Unless changes are made, the FOD stream will likely look different from the other Fuji broadcasts
Benefits of FOD:
  • Convenience~One livestream link per day, no need to switch channels between or during events
  • No commercial or fluff breaks interrupting warmups, performances or Kiss & Cry reactions
  • Prerecorded interviews and other content featuring Japanese skaters, might be shown during ice resurfacing
  • New Feature Since Sectionals (iirc), the livestream is now “rewindable” :yahoo:
What you won’t get with FOD
  • Commentary
  • Post skate interviews
  • A variety of camera angles, close ups
  • Fancy graphics (Ice Scope, Ice Stats, PPC during 6 min warmup, elements executed vs PPC after performance)
The only graphic usually displayed on FOD livestreams is an image showing the program music of upcoming skaters during 6 min warmup

To access FOD programming you will need to purchase a subscription (976 yen per month) and use a VPN set to Japan if viewing from outside of the country
Current promotion with a new subscription~
200 yen (approx $1.40 US) for the first month, 976 yen (approx $6.85 US) from the second month on, cancel anytime
You can purchase a subscription here
Japan address and phone number not needed to set up an account

I will add direct links to FOD's Nationals streams as soon as they become available

Streaming service to access Japanese TV Channels
CS FUJI TV Two will be the only channel besides FOD broadcasting the Pairs (Pair 😢) and Ice Dance events Live
In order to watch the entire competition Live without FOD, you will need to access a combination of CS Fuji TV Two and
either Fuji TV or TVer
Unfortunately, Muji TV does not currently offer a plan that includes CS Fuji TV TWO

Nozomi
Nozomi Standard (60 Channels) Includes Fuji TV, BS Fuji and CS FUJI TV TWO
Service not available in Japan, Mainland China or the Netherlands
3 Day Test for $3
I believe there is a 7 Day subscription for $6 or $7 however, this option did not appear until after I purchased a 3 Day Test
I was able to buy two 3 Day Tests at once
I’ve activated one subscription to test the stream quality which is excellent
Waiting to see if I'm able to activate the other 3 Day Test after the first one expires
If using on Windows PC or Mac, a video player streaming Japanese channels specific to your subscription will be installed onto your computer
You will likely have to allow the file to be installed

Himawari
Himawari Plus (97 Channels) includes Fuji TV, BS Fuji and CS FUJI TV TWO
Service not available in Japan and Mainland China
3 Day Test for $4
7 Day Plan for $8
Does not install a player onto your computer, utilizes a webplayer
Recommended for use on Android devices (Warning: Cannot be installed on Google Pixel 7 phones 😞)
If viewing on Windows PC or Mac, you may need to contact customer support to activate webplayer access and to receive an ID (likely starting with AADB followed by nine numbers) and a password to log in
Link to webplayer —> http://webtv.hmfyw.net/

Kaeri TV
Kaeri TV PLus (90 Channels) Includes Fuji TV, BS Fuji and CS FUJI TV TWO
3 Day Trial for $3 (Must be purchased along with either a Monthly or Yearly Plan)
Monthly Plan for $26 (the $18.25 per month that’s shown is the cost per month if you were to purchase a Yearly subscription)
After the 3 Day Trial period is over you will automatically be charged for the Monthly (or Yearly) Plan until cancelled
High quality streams but pricey!
Like Nozomi, Kaeri TV installs a video player onto your computer
After purchasing, you may need to wait awhile to receive the Kaeri ID and default password for set up (site says it should be sent within
12 hours 😳)
Iirc, I received this info within maybe 20~30 minutes?...but with Nozomi and Himawari, emails containing necessary info is sent almost immediately after purchase

Tver
Free streaming service, VPN needed if viewing outside of Japan
No account needed to access streams, registering just gives you more service options
If possible, I will add direct links to each event being streamed on TVer as soon as they become available

VPNs
Geo-blocked Japanese sites are notoriously difficult to access
I’ve been using Express VPN for years and it’s proven to be extremely reliable (for me)
And when I did have a technical issue early on, customer support was exceptional
However, there is no free option and plans are quite expensive
They do offer a 30 day money back guarantee :shrug:

Last year, quite a few people mentioned they were able to access blocked Japanese sites with the free version of Proton VPN
I tried testing Proton (free version) but was unable to figure out how to select “Japan” without the paid plan
Anyone with knowledge and experience using Proton VPN successfully or with any other VPN suggestions, please share! :thank:

Other options for viewing the competition
Everyone's favorite, “coming in clutch” figure skating fanstreamer usually streams this competition
If and when I see him go live, I’ll post a link

I plan to upload video of each performance by every skater/team competing (I will be recording from the FOD livestream)
At the end of each day, after all events are completed, I will compile links to video of all performances from that day into one post
I will try my best to get these videos processed and uploaded asap however, it will likely take me more than a few hours to finish
There will probably be Youtube and “X” accounts sharing videos of select skaters before I’m able to post
Videos uploaded to Youtube will most likely be taken from the TV broadcasts

If anyone has questions, suggestions or corrections regarding this post (or any other post I make) please, if at all possible reply or ask me in the thread
I'm one of those people who for some reason have an aversion to checking dms and notifications so never do unless I'm told to
I apologize if you've messaged me a question before and I've never replied
I wasn't trying to ignore you, I just didn't see your dm :pray:
Hi tsuyoboogie, thanks heaps for sharing the fruits of your extensive research! Just to check, you can watch replays of Fuji TV broadcasts on FOD as well as the livestreams, right? Or can you only watch replays of the livestreams?

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Hi tsuyoboogie, thanks heaps for sharing the fruits of your extensive research! Just to check, you can watch replays of Fuji TV broadcasts on FOD as well as the livestreams, right? Or can you only watch replays of the livestreams?
Like Sai Bon said.....could you please make a note under each service which has on demand and for how long? Like last year, sad about not having pairs/dance but there is that intriguing BS Fuji "All Japan Figure Skating Compilation" Thursday the 28th 19:00 to 21:00. If there are other services on demand, I could buy them on a three day to see the pairs/dance also. There are also certain "sites" on IG that have Japanese skates, but not full screen.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Himawari This looks suspiciously like MujiTV. Same web domain, same interface. Except 4 weeks on demand instead of two. On Himawari plus, Fuji TV HD is channel 5, BS Fuji is 24, and I could not find CS FUJI TV TWO although there is channel 66 which is Fuji TV Two. Maybe someone here can tell us if these two channels are one and the same. In my dim memory, I seem to remember putting in a AADB number in the distant past so maybe after nats I will load this up and try it for reference. And see the pairs/Dance. Then update my notes. (Being a pilot and aircraft mechanic makes me superstitious and since Muji is working just fine, I hate to take a chance and mess anything up right now on my laptop. Video and audio quality on the big screen is excellent with Muji.

Nozomi again is found on the same basic web address (streamingtvasia.com) but the interface is a bit different than Muji or Himawari. It has 4 week recording like Himawari. The Channel list looks harder to decifer. No numbers. Channel five from the top is again Fuji TV, 19 from the top is BS Fuji. Channel 65 from the top is Fuji TV two, which someone will have to tell us if it is the same as CS Fuji TV Two. You can access shows up to 4 weeks and you can even save shows for longer than that to the cloud.

My web sourse for current Japanese skating vids on a reduced screen has requested that I not “Advertise” them so of course I will honor their request.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Have we had the "qq" stream the last couple years? I feel like I did use that, although I don't remember how reliable it was. (Sorry if this question was already answered)

tsuyoboogie

Record Breaker
Thank you, Sai Bon 😊

For the most part, I believe you can only watch replays of the FOD livestreams...at least that the only guaranteed way
FOD does offer a service based on Fuji TV ONE/TWO/NEXT that allows you to stream live and some missed programs from these channels at an additional cost
So there is a possibility to watch the events that will be aired on Fuji TV TWO
However, it does mention that program content may differ from the broadcasts and some episodes may not be available to view
I haven't searched the site extensively, so there could be a way to watch replays of Fuji TV and BS Fuji programming but so far I don't see any

tsuyoboogie

Record Breaker
Have we had the "qq" stream the last couple years? I feel like I did use that, although I don't remember how reliable it was. (Sorry if this question was already answered)
There have been multiple "qq" accounts streaming Nationals in the past however 主播花花 (the one I linked in my OP) is the most consistent and reliable
He usually streams content being aired on the multiple Fuji TV channels covering the event (not FOD)
His streams aren't high quality but definitely convenient, providing he comes through
You just need to get past all the stuff floating across the screen when you initially tune in and not be bothered by a bit of added commentary 😄 (most people don't seem to find it intrusive, some find it interesting)

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^^^Thx so much for the info. Appreciate it. I remember when using it several times I was thinking "Anything is better than nothing!" So it was doable.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I am definately making a document of this whole thread! Thanks tsuyoboogie for your hard work. Can you verify the channel numbers of CS Fuji TV two on Himawari ? All I see is channel 66, Fuji TV Two.

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
Thank you, Sai Bon 😊

For the most part, I believe you can only watch replays of the FOD livestreams...at least that the only guaranteed way
FOD does offer a service based on Fuji TV ONE/TWO/NEXT that allows you to stream live and some missed programs from these channels at an additional cost
So there is a possibility to watch the events that will be aired on Fuji TV TWO
However, it does mention that program content may differ from the broadcasts and some episodes may not be available to view
I haven't searched the site extensively, so there could be a way to watch replays of Fuji TV and BS Fuji programming but so far I don't see any
Thanks, tsuyoboogie! As it turns out, I have tons of work and a couple of social engagements I can't wriggle out of (and damn the +4hrs time difference!), so I will have to make do with selected replays.

figureskatingandrainbows

As Kao Miura once said, スケートって難しい
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
As promised, here are some resources that you can use to get information on the competition, even if you are unable to watch!

The Goldenskate team is covering this competition, so check out their Twitter and Instagram for notes! The AnythingGoe team may also be covering this competition, I don't know for sure though so don't quote me on that. The Japanese media will be covering the event as well. The Figure365 Twitter account will hopefully post some practice notes and competition live results. The FujiTV team also has a Twitter account that may post some behind-the-scenes promo. Jackie Wong will also be doing some live tweeting, likely just for the last few groups of singles, but his play-by-plays and commentary are invaluable! The FujiTV Youtube Channel will livestream the draw at 18:30 JST on the 20th, and in the past has offered a video of the warmup area. These videos are geoblocked to Japan. They also upload the medallists' performances after the competition, along with their interviews. I love watching the draw, it's a bunch of world-class athletes not understanding how to grab a gift bag and Shoma Uno carrying a trophy that's almost as big as he is. FujiTV also has an athlete introduction page with some stats and photos from all the athletes, check it out if only to see cute animal photos!

*unfortunately, both Twitter and Instagram require users to have an account to view all of a user's tweets/posts/stories. I will try to summarize and link as many individual posts as I can so you all can see.

Last edited:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
As promised, here are some resources that you can use to get information on the competition, even if you are unable to watch!

The Twitter/Instagram user SkateJapanNews posted that they were flying to Japan, I assume to cover this competition. They post high-quality graphics of entrants, news updates, and hopefully some practice notes. (Twitter, Instagram (their Instagram is private so you will need to request to follow them)). The AnythingGoe and Goldenskate team may also be covering this competition, I don't know for sure though so don't quote me on that. The Japanese media will be covering the event as well. The Figure365 Twitter account will hopefully post some practice notes and competition live results. The FujiTV team also has a Twitter account that may post some behind-the-scenes promo. Jackie Wong will also be doing some live tweeting, likely just for the last few groups of singles, but his play-by-plays and commentary are invaluable! The FujiTV Youtube Channel will livestream the draw at 18:30 JST on the 20th, and in the past has offered a video of the warmup area. These videos are geoblocked to Japan. They also upload the medallists' performances after the competition, along with their interviews. I love watching the draw, it's a bunch of world-class athletes not understanding how to grab a gift bag and Shoma Uno carrying a trophy that's almost as big as he is. FujiTV also has an athlete introduction page with some stats and photos from all the athletes, check it out if only to see cute animal photos!

*unfortunately, both Twitter and Instagram require users to have an account to view all of a user's tweets/posts/stories. I will try to summarize and link as many individual posts as I can so you all can see.
See PM.