2023-24 US Pairs Figure Skating | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2023-24 US Pairs Figure Skating

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Liu/Nagy took the NHK spot that was left vacant by Chan/Howe.
Really??? (squeaking and yeeking) :bsplit::hap10::dance3: That's great news.

Although I'm sorry Chan/Howe won't be there, I commend their decision to make it known so that another pair can compete in that spot.
Wishing Spencer full healing.

Last edited:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What a pity Howe's shoulder is taking longer to heal than the couple first thought. Good to take the time though, however frustrating it might be!

This completely validates their reasoning for having this done now rather than waiting further into the Olympic cycle.

If they have to sit out the entire season, it would be sad, but it won't be nearly as awful if it had happened next season.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
In earlier posts, it was stated that Liu/Nagy replaced Chan/Howe at NHK. On second thought, weren't Liu/ Nagy selected to replace Miura/Kihara at NHK, and then when Chan/ Howe pulled out of NHK, Beccari/ Guarise got the nod to replace C/H?

Does anyone know if it was confirmed whether Ellie Kam sustained an injury during her two falls in the short program at the France GP?

Sad if that's the case. Ellie's fall on the throw looked bad with her legs separating so awkwardly on the ice. Such a disappointment after K/O's fairly decent start with a win at Finlandia Trophy. They have two really nice programs too. Was any reason given for their WD at the France GP? They truly had the chance and the capability to win a bronze medal, IMO, with decent performances. They have a lot of talent, but Ellie needs to figure things out with the jumps and throws. It's nice how patient and supportive Danny is. Jumping issues should be fixable, but apparently there is no magic shortcut to becoming a more consistent, strong jumper.

Ellie was a singles skater in juniors. I begin to wonder whether she was in the process of still mastering her triples, when she switched to pairs skating as a junior. 🤔

Last edited:

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
In earlier posts, it was stated that Liu/Nagy replaced Chan/Howe at NHK. On second thought, weren't Liu/ Nagy selected to replace Miura/Kihara at NHK, and then when Chan/ Howe pulled out of NHK, Beccari/ Guarise got the nod to replace C/H?

Does anyone know if it was confirmed whether Ellie Kam sustained an injury during her two falls in the short program at the France GP?

Ellie had a fall in practice this morning, and it looked like she may have hit her head. It was after that practice that they withdrew. It wasn't said whether there was a cumulative effect to the falls from the SP and from the practice.

Sad if that's the case. Ellie's fall on the throw looked bad with her legs separating so awkwardly on the ice. Such a disappointment after K/O's fairly decent start with a win at Finlandia Trophy. They have two really nice programs too. Was any reason given for their WD at the France GP? They truly had the chance and the capability to win a bronze medal, IMO, with decent performances. They have a lot of talent, but Ellie needs to figure things out with the jumps and throws. It's nice how patient and supportive Danny is. Jumping issues should be fixable, but apparently there is no magic shortcut to becoming a more consistent, strong jumper.

Ellie was a singles skater in juniors. I begin to wonder whether she was in the process of still mastering her triples, when she switched to pairs skating as a junior. 🤔

SmileHappy34

Final Flight
Pairs Is exciting this year
Natl who will take title .
A young team competing or veterans.
Will Chan and Howe be ready?
Will Liu and Bagy or PLazas and Fernandez or will it he the Barrens ? Who will podium Molotov too or some unknown steam coming up or through regionals and sectionals.

Congratulations 🎈 to those teams that make it to Nat'ls 🎉

FlossieH

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Given that Liu/Nagy and Beccari/Guarise were added to the NHK trophy entries at the same time, I think it is impossible to tell which pair replaced Chan/Howe and which replaced Miura/Kihara.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Pairs Is exciting this year
Natl who will take title .
A young team competing or veterans.
Will Chan and Howe be ready?
Will Liu and Bagy or PLazas and Fernandez or will it he the Barrens ? Who will podium Molotov too or some unknown steam coming up or through regionals and sectionals.

Congratulations 🎈 to those teams that make it to Nat'ls 🎉
My early money is on Ellie and Timmy.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
here's a small video of Ellie's fall at the practice on Friday morning at GP of France (practicing for the free skate)

Ouch. I got my only (mild) concussion from a hard fall on the coccyx like that, without hitting my head on anything. Not landing a throw or jump, just got my blades caught together doing a fast outside mohawk, so a quite unexpected fall. I felt the jar reverberate up my spine into my head and actually felt my brain bounce against the top of my skull. Had a sick headache for several days. I hope her injury, whatever it was, heals quickly.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ouch. I got my only (mild) concussion from a hard fall on the coccyx like that, without hitting my head on anything. Not landing a throw or jump, just got my blades caught together doing a fast outside mohawk, so a quite unexpected fall. I felt the jar reverberate up my spine into my head and actually felt my brain bounce against the top of my skull. Had a sick headache for several days. I hope her injury, whatever it was, heals quickly.
I read somewhere….Reddit? that Chelsea Liu has had 31 concussions.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I read somewhere….Reddit? that Chelsea Liu has had 31 concussions.
Chelsea has said, in the recent interview by Claire Coultier, that she's had 8 concussions.

It's like a game of "gossip" that we used to play in Girl Scouts. Things just mushroom or otherwise completely go nuts.

I linked that article in this thread, post #89. Well, here's the link again; it's a great read. https://adivinesport.com/2023/10/18/were-back-the-surprising-return-of-chelsea-liu-balazs-nagy/

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

yuki@thelake

On the Ice
Naomi and Lachlan got a medical bye so they are not competing at the Pacific pairs finals but will compete at the Nationals