2023-24 US Pairs Figure Skating | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2023-24 US Pairs Figure Skating

Status
Not open for further replies.

yuki@thelake

On the Ice
He dropped her from the lift -- or more precisely, his hand went down fast and he wasn't able to sustain the lift. And then she fell on the throw. And at the end she just knelt on the ice. And seemed to pass out. I was standing by the medical area and they were watching from the sidelines then they said “Oh she’s out, go!” when she laid on the ice with Danny holding her. Danny half carried her to the boards where the medics came to see her

I talked to her earlier about the practice time a bit much. This NQS has OPI and WU that the referee assigned, which is not the same like other NQS which didn’t have OPI and WU. Grace said there seems to be a lot, as they did 2 UPIs and the WU before the event. She seemed fine before the actual competition — we were seated in the center couch of the Broadmoor lobby while she was massaging her leg

Last edited:

yuki@thelake

On the Ice
I thought it was due to the throw fall?
They live in and train at the Broadmoor. Surprising that she would have issues with elevation?
Danny said that while he has lived in Colorado for 16 years, the elevation still kicks his *ss every time he does a run through of the program

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Can abbreviations please be spelled out first. I know what NQS is. What does OPI and WU mean?

I see on their Instagram stories that Nica & Mark won this event! So cool!

Sorry to hear about Grace/ Danny. Hope she's okay, and that they can regroup and be ready for Skate America.

yuki@thelake

On the Ice
Can abbreviations please be spelled out first. I know what NQS is. What does OPI and WU mean?
UPI = unofficial practice ice
OPI = official practice ice set by the referee (meaning the skater couldn't choose the time, only whether to attend or not), where the skater's music can be played
WU = warm-up, practice ice set by the referee typically an hour before the event (skater's music not played in this practice ice)

yuki@thelake

On the Ice
New senior pairs teams making their debut in Boston Open https://ijs.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2023/33513/CAT019SEG019.html

Megan Wessenberg, SC of Boston
Edoardo Caputo, Individual Member
2Mazie McFarland, Skokie Valley SC
Jordan Gillette, Skokie Valley SC
3Nina Ouellette, SC of San Francisco
Rique Newby-Estrella, SC of New York
4Alisa Efimova, SC of Boston
Misha Mitrofanov, SC of Boston
5Haley Scott, Champions Edge SC
Danil Siianytsia, All Year FSC

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
New senior pairs teams making their debut in Boston Open https://ijs.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2023/33513/CAT019SEG019.html

Yay!!!!!!! Megan has a partner!!!! Yay Megan!!❤️❤️❤️

yuki@thelake

On the Ice
Haley Scott / Danil Siianytsia withdrew from Boston, which was supposed to be their debut. With Boston the last NQS for pairs, I guess they won't qualify for the US Pairs Finals, and no Nationals for them this year, right? And I was so looking forward to watching them at the Pairs Finals in Tacoma!

midori green

On the Ice
New junior pair team to debut in Boston: Cayla Smith and Jared McPike. They just got together recently and had to rush the program to be able to compete in Boston
Interesting to look at their protocols from Boston. They didn't attempt any lifts. It makes sense, though, with what you wrote. They just needed a NQS score to advance, and they can continue to work on content. I hope they progress well!

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Haley Scott / Danil Siianytsia withdrew from Boston, which was supposed to be their debut. With Boston the last NQS for pairs, I guess they won't qualify for the US Pairs Finals, and no Nationals for them this year, right? And I was so looking forward to watching them at the Pairs Finals in Tacoma!
That is too bad.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Misha and Alisa won both segments handily with a total score of 185. This is pretty good for a new team, especially considering they watered down both SBS passes in the free skate.

From the protocols: In the short their 3S took a slight negative GOE, and in the long the Th3Lp had a small negative GOE, too. Everything else with plus GOE and lots of Level 4 elements.

Lukewarm PCS in 6's and 7's, but that will get better with time together and mileage on the programs.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
More on Misha and Alisa...

I found this clip to share. It's not the full LP, but enough to get a flavor. Obviously a work in progress, but promising, I think.

they look really good together. You can tell at a glance (and even at a distance, in this clip) that they're both very experienced pairs skaters.

I feel like they look quite sure of themselves. And smooth. And don't forget, beautiful :)

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Congrats to Ellie and Danny for their Finlandia victory! I was pleased to see that the triple twist is there now, and the throw triples are coming along. :hap10::hap10::hap10:
I still haven't been able to see their free skate. (Does anyone have a link for a video that hasn't been removed? thanks :))

I really love their short program to East of Eden. Besides the elements, Ellie and Danny complete each other's movements beautifully. that's one of the first things I noticed in this skate. Also, I feel like Ellie has grown into the partnership with her smiles ❤️ and confidence.

The throw triples are indeed coming along. It was a wise decision to establish the quality of their skating last year. Now, it's a matter of developing everything and landing the triples, which I feel are more stable than some other pairs, not just US but international pairs.

Status
Not open for further replies.