2023 Four Continents: Info and Pre-game Chat | Page 13 | Golden Skate

2023 Four Continents: Info and Pre-game Chat

tsuyoboogie

"Dedicate your heart" & Slay like an Ackerman
Record Breaker
For anyone familiar with the area~
I initially booked a couple of hotels but decided on the Quality Inn South (1410 Harrison Rd) approximately 1 mile, 20 minute walk from the arena
I'll definitely be walking to and from the arena during the day but is this a relatively safe area/path after dark?

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I initially booked a couple of hotels but decided on the Quality Inn South (1410 Harrison Rd) approximately 1 mile, 20 minute walk from the arena
I'll definitely be walking to and from the arena during the day but is this a relatively safe area/path after dark?
I would Uber but hey, I worked for police depts all my life so I hear the bad stories.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I would try to find someone to walk with or get a ride from. There are probably a number of people at the hotel who will be attending the competition. It's just a matter of finding them and arranging to meet at the end of the evening sessions. The hotel might even help you find them.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Ahh the Whole Foods is at nationals.... that would explain it lol.

And good idea on the screenshots from your own country!

Also I think a lot of us see you as a bit of an expert on these events... so please don't take a offence if i pitch in... you have a lot of wisdom to share.
--

For 4CC there does appear to be a King Soopers (Kroger if that is more familiar) and a Safeway southwest of the event, but what i would call too far of a walk. My family that lived there said they remember the Safeway being the nicer of the two (also a bit farther by like two minutes) but it appears to have a liquor store as well.
Iol! I have no wisdom. My super power is learning from others like el henrey from their successes and mistakes. And asking more questions than Columbo. I will call the nearby stores ref snacks and light alchohol. If I had it to do over again, I might set my arrival for Sunday and have a day to walk around. Not efficient cost wise but I may still do it. On my flight from Seatac to San Jose, Delta couldn't find a copilot type rated for my plane, so we sat for 20 min. Another day early might appease the flying gods. (Dear Lord, please give me another sweet well mannered Japanese seat mate like I have here in San Jose who is impressed I have seen Miki Ando's quad :) )

tsuyoboogie

"Dedicate your heart" & Slay like an Ackerman
Record Breaker
I would Uber but hey, I worked for police depts all my life so I hear the bad stories.
I would try to find someone to walk with or get a ride from. There are probably a number of people at the hotel who will be attending the competition. It's just a matter of finding them and arranging to meet at the end of the evening sessions. The hotel might even help you find them.
Thank you, both!
I'll just call a Lyft after dark (it's what I was planning to do anyway) 😊

chellers

Spectator
Hi All! I finally read all the pages of this thread! I’m going to 4CC and it’s my first in person comp. I live in Colorado and am driving down with my daughter. We’re only coming Friday-Sunday due to work and school. We are staying at the Fairfield so that we can walk over. Thanks to everyone who has posted helpful info about the arena, I’ve never been to an event there. I’m definitely treating this as a learning experience and hoping my 10 year old has the patience to get through it all! She loves Keegan and Amber so I’m really glad they are both going!

Seven Sisters

Medalist
Hi All! I finally read all the pages of this thread! I’m going to 4CC and it’s my first in person comp. I live in Colorado and am driving down with my daughter. We’re only coming Friday-Sunday due to work and school. We are staying at the Fairfield so that we can walk over. Thanks to everyone who has posted helpful info about the arena, I’ve never been to an event there. I’m definitely treating this as a learning experience and hoping my 10 year old has the patience to get through it all! She loves Keegan and Amber so I’m really glad they are both going!
I am also at the Fairfield, and I’m sure I will see you at the rink!
What you might not realize, if you have not attended a comp live before, is that during the breaks (after practice, or even after comp segments), if you wander around the common areas, you often will encounter a competitor or two. Skaters in these circumstances are almost always very gracious and happy to stop and chat or take a picture, which I would suspect would thrill your daughter to bits!

chellers

Spectator
Ooh! Thank you for the tip, my daughter (and I!) would be thrilled if we got to say hi to any of the competitors!

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Thank you, both!
I'll just call a Lyft after dark (it's what I was planning to do anyway) 😊
You are a wise person. Hope to meet you. I know not if you look like Miki Ando or a Sumo wrestler, but there are parts of Spokane at night it wouldn't matter. This is not the country I grew up in... :(

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
What you might not realize, if you have not attended a comp live before, is that during the breaks (after practice, or even after comp segments), if you wander around the common areas, you often will encounter a competitor or two. Skaters in these circumstances are almost always very gracious and happy to stop and chat or take a picture, which I would suspect would thrill your daughter to bits!
I too am at the Fairfield. You can see picks of me earlier in the thread. Just be respectful of skaters. They are people too. They have places to go and things to do. Don't be like me and bow to the ground everytime a Japanese or Korean skater walks by at Target. :)

Seven Sisters

Medalist
I too am at the Fairfield. You can see picks of me earlier in the thread. Just be respectful of skaters. They are people too. They have places to go and things to do. Don't be like me and bow to the ground everytime a Japanese or Korean skater walks by at Target. :)
I agree that one must be respectful, and I always am. I would never approach a skater before they are to compete, for example. You do not want to interfere with their mental preparation process.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I would add that Japan has just gone through its worst covid spike yet. If a Japanese skater is masked up, don't put them in the awkwark position of a selfie. I won't say what I know but of course Ting admitted on social media she is still suffering. I am 95% good to go after testing negative for a month. I will be masked. I don't want covid again and I don't want to infect anyone. Let alone my fav skaters. You must follow your own moral compass.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I agree that one must be respectful, and I always am. I would never approach a skater before they are to compete, for example. You do not want to interfere with their mental preparation process.
One time, Brian Boitano sat in front of me. Of course, I left him alone. After the skater group finished, here came a string of mothers and their 10 year old daughters...Brian was gracious but there are limits and he litterally ran up the stairs. I said "Run Brian Run!" He smiled and said "Really!"
We used to have FOFS or Boitano lounges where skaters are fair game.
I would love to have 2 minutes with Yelim. So would hundreds of other people. The most I would do is to say "Ahhhhh....Summer of '42"
And get a smile.
I just listened to Rachal Flatt and others complain about fans...I am not gonna be a bad fan. Know your skater and their body language!!!

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
After careful thought, I am gonna arrive on Saturday. Walk around, buy necessities. Keep an eye on the 10 day forecast. The front range of the Rockies can produce weather extreames.
I have no idea when or if I can see Four conts again..this is too lmportant to let the airlines muck up.

ptvvibezz

MK forever
Final Flight
Country
United-States
Question to the experienced fans: what does one do during the 2/3 hour breaks in between events? I don't want to use a lot of money on uber and lyft so I probably wouldn't head back to my Airbnb. I'm also going alone so I don't have anyone to hang out with...

Seven Sisters

Medalist
Question to the experienced fans: what does one do during the 2/3 hour breaks in between events? I don't want to use a lot of money on uber and lyft so I probably wouldn't head back to my Airbnb. I'm also going alone so I don't have anyone to hang out with...
Sometimes there are practices then, and you can watch! You can also get coffee or a bite to eat or explore the surrounding area on foot. I don’t what is around this particular rink, but I’ve heard that there is an Olympic museum, that might be fun to visit!

And plus, even if you come alone, you will meet folks who are fun to hang out with. I promise you won’t be bored!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
For anyone with a car, we found a trip here worth it. 5 miles outside town.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
For anyone with a car, we found a trip here worth it. 5 miles outside town.

Garden of the Gods is well worth seeing

And I am sure if you google 10 things to visit in Colorado springs you can find all sorts of interesting places....
You could try visiting Cheyenne Mt North American Air Defense Command but I dont think they would let you in....

I am a bit confused by the statement 2-3 hour breaks...Looking at the official color schedule as of 1-24-23, thankfully there are breaks for dinner but I am going to assume that the PR is the practice ice in the same complex, with a small snack bar connecting them. It has bleachers...bleachers where that little Flatt kid stared at me and called security and I showed them my entire ticket package and they left me alone.....I see no breaks Tues or Wed at all. Thursday there is a break for dinner....Friday and Sat also. Sunday is a mish mash.
BTW, that snack bar has or at least had a small lounge were skating's great might hang out.

I am home now and the fine folks at Delta let me change fly dates for zero bucks and the fine folks at Fairfield let me extend my stay for the same extended stay bucks so I am arriving on Saturday instead of Monday.

So far I have tested negative twice....this morning and this evening, but I am sleeping in my room till my test tomorrow.....So far I am getting about two days from my medical grade operating room spec 3M masks.
You can find them for under $1.50 each in packs of 10 or so. On Ebay. I will have test kits also....
Rated for squirting blood and TB.
  • Highest level of fluid resistance according to ASTM F1862 at 160 mm H
Mrs. P had a 3M mask at nats also and she is alot smarter than I am.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Sometimes there are practices then, and you can watch! You can also get coffee or a bite to eat or explore the surrounding area on foot. I don’t what is around this particular rink, but I’ve heard that there is an Olympic museum, that might be fun to visit!

And plus, even if you come alone, you will meet folks who are fun to hang out with. I promise you won’t be bored!
Exactly. Look at the color sheet and if you are bored, you can sit out in the Colorado sun and stare at Cheyenne Mt.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Alyssa Cizny was very nice and approachable.....he she signs some autogaphs in the practice rink