2023 Four Continents: Info and Pre-game Chat | Page 11 | Golden Skate

2023 Four Continents: Info and Pre-game Chat

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Anyone willing to fly a Phillipenean flag for Sofia? I will have one sent to your house. I can’t send you mine because she signed it.

ptvvibezz

MK forever
Final Flight
Country
United-States
Does anyone have tips for long competition days as a spectator? 4CC will be my first "big" skating event and I want to be prepared as possible!

yuumagical

"There is always something to love."
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Does anyone have tips for long competition days as a spectator? 4CC will be my first "big" skating event and I want to be prepared as possible!
Be sure to stretch and walk around the arena during ice resurfacing breaks! I don't know how cold the World Arena is, but warm jackets and scarves are useful if the arena is cold. Timing for bathroom breaks can be tricky to avoid being stuck in a long line. I have seen some spectators leave just before the last skater's score is announced, though I prefer to wait until just before the next group takes to the ice (though this is also risky). I also prefer to eat food outside the arena as arena food is unhealthy and pricey. (Feel free to sneak in your own snacks. 🥷)

Last but not least, I would also like to encourage you to wear a mask in the arena, even if it's not required! You don't want to catch any weird new Covid variants or get your favorite skaters sick!

ptvvibezz

MK forever
Final Flight
Country
United-States
Be sure to stretch and walk around the arena during ice resurfacing breaks! I don't know how cold the World Arena is, but warm jackets and scarves are useful if the arena is cold. Timing for bathroom breaks can be tricky to avoid being stuck in a long line. I have seen some spectators leave just before the last skater's score is announced, though I prefer to wait until just before the next group takes to the ice (though this is also risky). I also prefer to eat food outside the arena as arena food is unhealthy and pricey. (Feel free to sneak in your own snacks. 🥷)

Last but not least, I would also like to encourage you to wear a mask in the arena, even if it's not required! You don't want to catch any weird new Covid variants or get your favorite skaters sick!
TY :thank: :thank:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
What yuum said. This is one of my fav facilites in the world. And my fav event....you have the main arena connected to practice ice by a snack bar lounge. Lots of eateries and motels within walking distance. The weather can be all over the place......you can have REAL TICKETS. I dont know now but it used to be a more relaxed event in that skaters mingled with the fans....I have been there twice. And the outside views are spectacular....I live at 2500 ft so the altitude doesnt bother me....but if you live down below and never have been up in the air much, it is possible to get altitude sickness...the skaters will often go on oxegen after their skates.....
Personally, I will get take out and go to my room and eat if there are lots of people at the restaurants. And I mask up like the Japanese do in the arena. Dont be surprised to see skating greats sitting in the stands......

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Pace yourself depending on your stamina, but this is nothing as bad as nats..
Havent see the color chart yet but when it comes out, plan your eating times, nap times and breaks.
With this tentitive schedule, there should be time for eating and naps...I hate it when they try and cram everything into two days.
Feb. 9:

• Women's Short Program
  • Men's Short Program
Feb. 10:

• Pairs Short Program
  • Rhythm Dance
  • Women's Free Skate
Feb. 11:

• Pairs Free Skate
  • Men's Free Skate
Feb. 12:

• Free Dance

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
PROHIBITED ITEMS
(I am gonna take a wild guess and say small flags on sticks will be let in. Looks like my drone with the Korean and Japanese flag wont pass muster:slink:

The following items may not be brought into or onto the premise/grounds:
  • Any outside food or beverages
  • Alcoholic beverages
  • Marijuana (legal or medical)
  • Illegal or illicit drugs
  • Drones
  • Flag/sign supports (ie flag sticks/poles)
  • Glass bottles or aluminum cans
  • Coolers
  • Thermos containers
  • Bota bags or wine skins
  • Bullhorns/whistles or noise makers
  • Laser pointers/pens
  • Framed backpacks
  • Confetti
  • Beach balls and other inflatables
  • Skateboards or rollerblades
  • Stools or folding chairs
  • Water bottles or mugs
  • Pets or animals (with the exception of service animals)
  • Selfie Sticks
  • Tools

ptvvibezz

MK forever
Final Flight
Country
United-States
What yuum said. This is one of my fav facilites in the world. And my fav event....you have the main arena connected to practice ice by a snack bar lounge. Lots of eateries and motels within walking distance. The weather can be all over the place......you can have REAL TICKETS. I dont know now but it used to be a more relaxed event in that skaters mingled with the fans....I have been there twice. And the outside views are spectacular....I live at 2500 ft so the altitude doesnt bother me....but if you live down below and never have been up in the air much, it is possible to get altitude sickness...the skaters will often go on oxegen after their skates.....
Personally, I will get take out and go to my room and eat if there are lots of people at the restaurants. And I mask up like the Japanese do in the arena. Dont be surprised to see skating greats sitting in the stands......
TY! :thank: Quick question about the arena, how is the arena food?

PaulE

On the Ice
Country
United-States
PROHIBITED ITEMS
(I am gonna take a wild guess and say small flags on sticks will be let in. Looks like my drone with the Korean and Japanese flag wont pass muster:slink:

The following items may not be brought into or onto the premise/grounds:

• Bota bags or wine skins

• Pets or animals (with the exception of service animals)
Gosh darn--no bota bags ☹️ . Somewhere hidden in the basement I have an old bota bag from my days as a skier a long, long time ago. If I find it I guess I will have to leave in the car with my furry dog friend.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
TY! :thank: Quick question about the arena, how is the arena food?
That is a great question. It has changed! See link.
The problem for us as fans is what is gonna open up when......how many of the above cocessions will be open,,,how much of their menus will be offered and when? How long will the lines be? Repeat last sentence. Will non eating fans hog seats and tables?
My take due to my health concerns.....I dont want to be around packed people without a mask. Gestation of the current covid is three days. Thats what it took for me and that is what it took for my galpal.
1. The food will be expensive in the arena
2. I am a walker with a capital W. PaulE and I are fast walkers and we have PHDs in beating crowds.
3. There are nine places to eat in 1/2 mile. 4 places in one quarter mile. (see Google maps)
4. The outback and the Italian grill are very close....The outback serves to go and is 402 meters away. It is very good. So is the Italian place.

I am gonna guess that from the primitive schedule we have at this time, there will be time to eat.
Bottom line. Not gonna eat in the arena.......Rememeber that hot air hand dryers coat your hands with bacteria and viruses...bring a few paper towels and hand sanitizer where ever you go.....Maybe you are young and healthy.....good! So was Ting Cui. And she will be again!
Do you feel lucky? I am 74 with COPD and other lung issues.....I dont feel that lucky. The Fairfield is a stone's throw from the italian place and the Outback.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
God I love this sport.....
When you see skaters like these in live comps like Four Conts...you dont forget.....

Seven Sisters

Medalist
My top tip: GO TO THE PRACTICES. Yes, I know they usually start early in the morning. But they are often the very best part of any comp. You can sit right up against the ice surface no matter where your “official” seats are; you will meet all kinds of skaters just wandering around; and the insights you gain are invaluable.

You will thank me later! :)

ptvvibezz

MK forever
Final Flight
Country
United-States
My top tip: GO TO THE PRACTICES. Yes, I know they usually start early in the morning. But they are often the very best part of any comp. You can sit right up against the ice surface no matter where your “official” seats are; you will meet all kinds of skaters just wandering around; and the insights you gain are invaluable.

Will do, I went to the women's practice at this season's Skate America and I loved it! Gracie was on fire... hopefully I can see her in Colorado Springs

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker

People who have never been to a comp and think J and T are about figure skating are really missing out. I would sit near Frank C. at practice, and for those of you who are new, you have to watch and see where Frank likes to be.... then each skater's music is played one time in order. During their music time, the skater has the right of way....any skater who blocks them is gonna hear about it. Skaters may do their whole program...their program without jumps or none of it during their time....then, when its not their music, they can practice keeping out of the way of the active skater...I would eve drop on what Frank was saying to Mirai....then I got a voodoo doll of Frank and Mirai left Frank. :rofl:
Chris who may not show up at the Jr dance practice or hang out with friends he has known for 12 years......

Practice eddicate.
You can sit anywhere...but if someone wants to sit in their real seat, I dont sit there and argue with them and let them have it.
Dirty tricks. Some Arenas dont give a tinker's darn about us...(cough cough LA cough cough) and wont let you sit just anywhere....they only open up a few sections for practice so they dont have to clean the arena....after you paid $1400 for an all event package to worlds and paid $300 a night for a hotel and 12 bucks for a home wrecker hot dog you wouldnt pay 3 bucks for at home. Some arenas will sell you a 4 buck bottle of water and keep the cap.....some turn off the drinking fountains......
If a skater is doing a real run through and your seat partner is intently watching, dont disturb them.....

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Anyone willing to fly a Phillipenean flag for Sofia? I will have one sent to your house. I can’t send you mine because she signed it.
Sorry....I love the Fillipeanos and the Thai people and the Indonesians but I can only carry so much

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
does anyone know if stadium seats are allowed? I would spend the money on them if they are... but don't want to if they are banned?

I am also very grateful for how health conscience this sport it. Thank you to everyone who is considerate of those of us that are not as healthy.

SmileHappy34

Final Flight
I have a question. Do you think the U.s. will send the national champs.
It looks like their will be tough competition coming to the Four Continents this year. Canada and Japan is send a good team and so is CHina.

None of the disciplines will be a cake walk for the U.S. It seems they will have two more good competitions. Four Continents and Worlds.