2023 Four Continents Pairs Short Program | Page 14 | Golden Skate

2023 Four Continents Pairs Short Program

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
In that 1-1, 2-2, 3-3 matchup you reference, the American ranked the Canadian on top of the American pair every time.
You see what I see, how is that home cooking?

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
Can partners be in different clubs? i supposed that what is written after some skaters' names in the OP is clubs' names.
Yes, frequently. They most likely have one club the pair actually trains at, but their individual memberships, on paper, don't have to be the same club. Often the memberships date back years to when they started skating, or their family still belongs to one sports club in their home town and the competitor has moved around training with different coaches or different partners as their career progresses.....lots of reasons for not switching membership from club to club during the years of training.

labgoat

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Not surprising to many of us Canadian fans... itnis a trend... Canadian judges rarely favour their own....
Sounds like they should not be undervaluing their own skaters. By the way , I agree with the overall placements.= given the mistakes by the various teams. We will see what the FS shows.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
You see what I see, how is that home cooking?
Erm... because we cannot include the 3rd american pair in the discussion... too many mistakes... the reality is that pf should not be ahead ot laurin ethier. The comparisons should be with pm and ch as well as le and pf...

Last edited:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes, frequently. They most likely have one club the pair actually trains at, but their individual memberships, on paper, don't have to be the same club. Often the memberships date back years to when they started skating, or their family still belongs to one sports club in their home town and the competitor has moved around training with different coaches or different partners as their career progresses.....lots of reasons for not switching membership from club to club during the years of training.

Someone in the know once told me that skaters tend to "claim" the club at which they got their start, as a mark of respect for the local team that launched them.

labgoat

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Erm... because we cannot include the 3rd american pair in the discussion... too many mistakes... the reality is that pf should not be ahead ot laurin ethier. The comparisons should be woth pm and ch as well and le and pf...
The higher placement is by such a small fraction - it may just be the judges liked the program better. I know I did. Now I expect the long should reverse as I do think P/F FS is better not as good and hasn't been skated well all year and expect and prefer L/E FS to finish better

Ziotic

Medalist
The higher placement is by such a small fraction - it may just be the judges liked the program better. I know I did. Now I expect the long should reverse as I do think P/F FS is better not as good and hasn't been skated well all year and expect and prefer L/E FS to finish better
If they both skate clean I expect L/E to move up as they have on paper a higher base value with two triples and one in combo.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
At this point, i am not expecting anything....i will keep watching and enjoying the skating ... i am usually not a fan of wuzrobbed comments, but it's getting a bit much lately..

Last edited:

labgoat

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Someone in the know once told me that skaters tend to "claim" the club at which they got their start, as a mark of respect for the local team that launched them.
It was common in yesterdays to chose which sectionals they would skate at to get a higher placement before there used to be so many byes.

labgoat

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Glad to say you were wrong.
Rightfully behind the Canadians
I never make a comment like that, and I don't know why I did today, but I did say "may," I wasn't making a prediction but it was more of a question. I was looking at the tech box at the time.

The thing is, I love Deanna and Max, and Emily and Spencer, not exactly equally, I've been watching S/D longer. But I love them in different ways.

Deanna and Max have this elegance and carriage that is just unmatched these days. It's throughout their elements, and today I particularly noticed Deanna's "in-between" movements, which are always "on." With some skaters, you can see a split second where they're getting into position for the beautiful in-betweens, but with Deanna, it's perfectly already part of her technique. To me, technique's role is to serve the artistry. Max matches Deanna perfectly without calling attention to himself, but if you keep your eyes on him, his carriage is also noticeable.

Emily and Spencer have really impressed me and grown on me during this season. (And they've had injuries that kept them from training, as did S/D.) So the season has presented many challenges, and I've seen them gain strength and accuracy gradually. I'll always love them because of their devotion to creating a feeling that they can then share with audiences. They've mentioned this many times.
While others are citing the scoring (and don't forget, every bit of figure skating scoring is subjective) ... I'm looking at what they're giving, and I'm seeing the progress they've made. I'm happy with their placement here ... but then placement and results aren't ever my highest priority, either. Emily really shines in this "Nyah" SP, and I can see her confidence growing. I've never seen Spencer fall on a jump.

I had the feeling during Riku and Ryuichi's skate that this might be a skate to get rid of pre-world jitters. Of course I don't know any such thing, it was just a feeling. But I'm really happy that when Riku makes a mistake, she's learned to give herself a break and chalk it up as a learning experience. Ryuichi's way of being with her is a great help, as is Bruno's attitude. I love their connection.

Lia and Trennt were smashing! The red dress and his red ombre shirt are just perfect (to be shallow), but it does help create a great impression. I said at the time that they skated that they were impressive, especially given how short a time they've been together. But if you're disgruntled because you feel they should be ahead of Chan/Howe, remember how the judging goes ... the judges have to watch skaters for a while to trust their consistency. Elena Bechke made a great case for this in one of her excellent Pairs Analysis videos with TSL.

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
i like C/H but that tech ticker seems very high ....compared to the Canadian teams... not sure about that.
Home cooking? Regardless I like Chan and Howe and had them predicted as second because I expected S/D to struggle with her respoiratory illness. However, with the mistake the Americans should have been far lower. SD should have the pcs but they don't here. I really find that an injustice. No Lia and Trennt should not be second. They have done so well to get here so fast but they have a few issues. I just think Chan and Howe should have had a lower score or SD higher. The Japanese are the class of the field

Chantilly

On the Ice
Not disgruntled at all. You may have mistook my tone for something I didn’t intend.
I pretty much agree with what you said.
I just think that based on what I saw the Canadians won on the day over the Americans.
I like both teams.
I actually in general prefer Chan/ Howe but I really like how the Canadians make use of their strength and athleticism.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Home cooking? Regardless I like Chan and Howe and had them predicted as second because I expected S/D to struggle with her respoiratory illness. However, with the mistake the Americans should have been far lower. SD should have the pcs but they don't here. I really find that an injustice. No Lia and Trennt should not be second. They have done so well to get here so fast but they have a few issues. I just think Chan and Howe should have had a lower score or SD higher. The Japanese are the class of the field
I agree with pcs for deanna and max...too low.... i d have them higher than chan amd howe even if chan and how had been clean.. so with fall.. wow... lia and trennt are new and skated very well here.. i would have them in 3rd but i would be fine with 4th if they were marked a bit closer to chan and howe... laurin and ethier though should be 5th. Anyways... skaters learn to not worry about what they cannot control... i shall do that too

Last edited:

rain

Record Breaker
i'd have Laurin Ethier ahead of them... but again... i am supposed to be at work

i like C/H but that tech ticker seems very high ....compared to the Canadian teams... not sure about that.

Much lower in scores not so much in ranking..
Trennt and Lia should be third. Emily and Spencer 4th. Kelly Ann and Loucas 5th. Just my opinion.. will be looking forward to see how each judge did their ranking.. spencer and emiliy getting higher pcs than max and deanna with a fall is bizarre to say the say the least...

This describes my thought process as I watched this. Was at work and thus could not comment in real time. The American teams were very advantageously marked here given their serious errors. The Canadian teams skated very well, especially Pereira/Michaud who nailed it probably more than any other team today and should definitely be in third going into the free. I think part of their lowballing was how brand new they are and how early they skated. Hopefully they can nail the LP as well.

And to add a truly unpopular opinion: I find the Japanese team overrated and have for the past two years.

Last edited:

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
Yes, that's one of the many reasons to declare one club and stick to it throughout a career. A nice reason, I think.

rain

Record Breaker
Looking at the protocols for the pairs SP is fascinating and kind of horrifying.
For example, Riku and Ryuichi got from a -1 to a +5 on their twist and literally everything in between.
Chan and Howe got from a -2 to a +4 on their death spiral.
The judges didn't know what the heck to do with Pereira/Michaud, giving a -1 to a +3 on their side by side jumps, and a -2 to a +3 on their twist.
I know there's some subjectivity, but this isn't even agreement on what they're judging on (as in what should incur a bonus, and what should incur a deduction), from the looks of it. I really hope they have a judges' meeting where they have to explain their thought process at least, ideally with some video to show and tell.

Last edited: