2023 JGP Istanbul Pairs Free Skate | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2023 JGP Istanbul Pairs Free Skate

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's an interesting question!

Although if they're still eligible for Juniors they should be allowed to compete in Juniors.

It's a bit weird that they were previously in seniors with their other partners though, I figured maybe they'd never competed in seniors.
What do you mean by that last statement?

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I have told to my cell phone to understand both English and Finnish words but sometimes it decides to understand only Finnish. That is the explanation why I sometimes type weird words.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
What do you mean by that last statement?
I was thinking if you'd never competed in seniors before and you got a new partner and were still Junior eligible, you might stay in juniors to get comfortable first.

But yeah both members of the team competed in Seniors with their previous partners, so that's not the case here.

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
I was thinking if you'd never competed in seniors before and you got a new partner and were still Junior eligible, you might stay in juniors to get comfortable first.

But yeah both members of the team competed in Seniors with their previous partners, so that's not the case here.
What's even crazier is that Anastasiia has never competed in Juniors internationally prior to this, so this is in fact her junior debut - After already having competed at Sr Worlds and on the Sr GP circuit.

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Anastasiia METELKINA / Luka BERULAVA GEO skate to The Millionaire Waltz by Queen. They clearly look ready for seniors with big elements, lifts, jumps and spins. A weird fall on the choreo element is very costly for them. I guess if you are junior eligible with a new partner and better chances of competing more often as a junior then that's what you do. I like others am still sour at him due to his attitude towards his previous partner who was struggling from injury. As for here, they are the winners of this event. I like her and am happy for her.

throw_triple_flip

Final Flight
Country
United-Kingdom
It's an interesting question!

Although if they're still eligible for Juniors they should be allowed to compete in Juniors.

It's a bit weird that they were previously in seniors with their other partners though, I figured maybe they'd never competed in seniors.
Annika Hocke went to an Olympics with one partner then was in the JGP final a couple of seasons later with another.

The Ukrainian junior team had a mixed junior and senior season (winning Challenger series medals and going to senior worlds). They're scheduled to compete in the last 2 JGP Pairs events this season.

Last edited:

throw_triple_flip

Final Flight
Country
United-Kingdom
They don't even look like juniors, really not sure why they are here
Because they are age eligible. Other teams have done similar to them but don't recieve this criticism. I think his behaviour toward his partner last season is why- and while he behaved pretty badly, it's not really relevant to whether they are age eligible for juniors or not.

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
I get that the Georgian team just teamed up, but both are senior eligible, why are they in juniors?
I assume more opportunities to compete and especially win golds - neither have been to a grand prix final before so they are pretty fortunate to still be age-eligible for juniors.

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
Annika Hocke went to an Olympics with one partner then was in the JGP final a couple of seasons later with another.

The Ukrainian junior team had a mixed junior and senior season (winning Challenger series medals and going to senior worlds). They're scheduled to compete in the last 2 JGP Pairs events this season.
And Annika's partner, Robert, had at the time not competed in a single Senior competition., so the situation is not exactly the same, is it?
And the Ukrainians didn't even make the Free Skate at Worlds, while Safina/Berulava's highest placement at Sr Worlds was 4th.

They aren't the first and they won't be the last.
They are the first in exactly this situation, I know of not a single pair in which both partners skated as seniors exclusively for at least one season and then went back to Jrs after repartnering. I don't know of anyone who finished 4th at Worlds who went back to Juniors, or anyone who won a GP medal, but maybe I'm just missing someone, so if you know any examples, I'd be really happy to hear about them.

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
I might have asked this, but do Flores/Wang qualify for the JGPF now with 2 silvers?
I'd say so. Unofficially
There's only 2 pairs events left and I can't see 6 pairs beating two silver medals. In the current field, I can think of 3 pairs who can score higher point totals than them so they should be safe in a tiebreak situation.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'd say so. Unofficially
There's only 2 pairs events left and I can't see 6 pairs beating two silver medals. In the current field, I can think of 3 pairs who can score higher point totals than them so they should be safe in a tiebreak situation.
So Star Wars in the JGPF. I'm excited to see that again. Such a fun program.