2023 World Team Trophy - General Info | Page 8 | Golden Skate

2023 World Team Trophy - General Info

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
From what I read on social media at the time, Stephen had to drive his mother to hospital whilst competition was ongoing.

Regarding Conrad, didn't he have multiple boot issues? I thought he had to break in new boots at worlds, so that would impact any WTT preparation?
That sounds horrible. I hope it wasn't too serious? Then I will ask was it so serious he had to do it? Would it have not been better if it wasn't even if there was no one else to let the coach do it (or better yet the choreographer if they were there?)

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I did not realize until very recently that Conrad actually broke his blade at Worlds. Very unlucky.

It might be, and I don't know this - only surmising - that Conrad said, "That's enough for this season. I need to get my equipment in order so I can continue to focus on improving." It's a big thing, and pretty big money, to pass up, but with his gear problems, maybe he thought it was for the best?

Otherwise, I cannot figure out why he was passed over for Gogolev.
I rather doubt someone at Conrad's stage would give up WTT if he had a choice a broken blade is NOT a broken boot. Obviously Skate Canada had their reason. Canada is not much of threat here so it is understandable they are giving opportunities to others. Someone mentioned giving Roman a chance but he has really done so poorly this year. Seriously you can see him taking the time to decide does he want to continue? NEw Coach or what. It will be interest to see Canada and Italy. If Canada can beat Italy in dance and pairs - not absolutely impossible but flip world results. If Keegan can beat both Italian men and Madi beat both Italian ladies - who knows. I do think the Italians have the edge. Especially in pairs where I think Italy will skate with greater speed and confidence knowing they are world bronze medallists and creamed Canada at worlds. THe battle between Japan and US. Well it is on Japanese soil so I think that favours Japan again.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
at wtt, the deciding factor is usually singles... the 2nd man and 2nd woman will be the ones to watch for... What Japan may make up in pairs and with singles will be evened out in dance. So it's all about where will the American Woman, especially number 2 will end up.

Men : blood bath. A guy like Jason or even Keegan could end up near the top 3 or near the bottom 3... it's crazy... everyone in this event is basically top 10 material at worlds except for Gogo and Lee.
Jason would never be in the bottom. His beautiful skating will hold him up. I hope Keegan has an amazing skate - sad he never won a world medal. I wonder if Cha will do well because he has a world medal and confidence so high.

I do like the fun/team atmosphere but it also takes away from the seriousness and legitimateness of the event. I wonder if the Canadians will have their moose antlers?

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Jason would never be in the bottom. His beautiful skating will hold him up. I hope Keegan has an amazing skate - sad he never won a world medal. I wonder if Cha will do well because he has a world medal and confidence so high.

I do like the fun/team atmosphere but it also takes away from the seriousness and legitimateness of the event. I wonder if the Canadians will have their moose antlers?
Seriousness is in the eye of the beholder I guess. I think the team medal at the Olys is serious. Here, I would expect to see boxes for each team and PERHAPS some silly headgear/outfits....its been a very long season or at least it has been for me and many skaters....trumphets will blare and skaters will skate and no one will remember who won in a few months.....I hope everyone has fun and enjoys the break from the ice shows....next season will be upon us soon....

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Seriousness is in the eye of the beholder I guess. I think the team medal at the Olys is serious. Here, I would expect to see boxes for each team and PERHAPS some silly headgear/outfits....its been a very long season or at least it has been for me and many skaters....trumphets will blare and skaters will skate and no one will remember who won in a few months.....I hope everyone has fun and enjoys the break from the ice shows....next season will be upon us soon....
I suspect the skaters do enjoy the chance to hang out with their friends and make bank in a less tense situation than they face the rest of the season.

I also suspect that some find the hijinks to be embarrassing.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I suspect the skaters do enjoy the chance to hang out with their friends and make bank in a less tense situation than they face the rest of the season.

I also suspect that some find the hijinks to be embarrassing.
It looks like from Jason's and others vids and pics on IG that they are really enjoying themselves off the ice, which is a good thing...they took up half the plane on the last Flight....lots of fans at the airports.....such beautiful sites to see...

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It looks like from Jason's and others vids and pics on IG that they are really enjoying themselves off the ice, which is a good thing...they took up half the plane on the last Flight....lots of fans at the airports.....such beautiful sites to see...

I think it is nice that many of the skaters scheduled for WTT are on the SOI Japan tour. Team building within and without.

Jumping off, Jason genuinely, unabashedly embraces the pomp and circumstance that WTT offers, as well as the team spirit. :hap10: I highly doubt that any US skater will get away with being "too cool for school" with Jason there. :) Good!

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think it is nice that many of the skaters scheduled for WTT are on the SOI Japan tour. Team building within and without.

Jumping off, Jason genuinely, unabashedly embraces the pomp and circumstance that WTT offers, as well as the team spirit. :hap10: I highly doubt that any US skater will get away with being "too cool for school" with Jason there. :) Good!
Does anybody enjoy feeling like they're making a fool of themselves? Do you think Jason would attempt to make other more introverted or reserved skaters cavort with appropriate enthusiasm? Do you think he should?

We all come into these kinds of discussions with our own biases stemming on our own experiences. In my line of work, it was once fashionable at conferences and meetings to do little skits or play nonsense games competing against other tables during keynote addresses.

It was ridiculous and awkward. I and plenty of others (mostly men) found that we suddenly needed to visit the bathroom or step out to take an important call whenever these situations arose. The fad eventually dissipated, in large part because participants were headed towards outright rebellion and refusal. I'm told that the feedback forms that are always sent out after these events - the ones where you're supposed to just click "5" to get it over with - were brutal.

So, good for Jason for embracing the pomp, but share a sympathetic thought for those whose demeanor and body language make it clear that they are uncomfortable. I've been there, but at least I could pretend that another pressing matter prevented me from participating.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Does anybody enjoy feeling like they're making a fool of themselves? Do you think Jason would attempt to make other more introverted or reserved skaters cavort with appropriate enthusiasm? Do you think he should?

We all come into these kinds of discussions with our own biases stemming on our own experiences. In my line of work, it was once fashionable at conferences and meetings to do little skits or play nonsense games competing against other tables during keynote addresses.

It was ridiculous and awkward. I and plenty of others (mostly men) found that we suddenly needed to visit the bathroom or step out to take an important call whenever these situations arose. The fad eventually dissipated, in large part because participants were headed towards outright rebellion and refusal. I'm told that the feedback forms that are always sent out after these events - the ones where you're supposed to just click "5" to get it over with - were brutal.

So, good for Jason for embracing the pomp, but share a sympathetic thought for those whose demeanor and body language make it clear that they are uncomfortable. I've been there, but at least I could pretend that another pressing matter prevented me from participating.
Actually, now that you mention it...I used to be very shy and reserved...and then one day a friend at the Reno National Air races took me up to Section 3 in the bleechers, which was populated by a bunch of crazy yelling, screaming people who wore beeds and funny shirts and had fun no matter what....now my picture is hanging up in the Smithsonian with my people.....so yes, I think people can kick back, yell, scream and have fun, kidnap Tuskegee Airmen and Thunderbird pilots, and cut loose at times....kind of a temparary Marti gras....

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker

Too cool for school....I love it! :)
Actually, school is pretty cool

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I dont see anything on SYWTWfS yet. Are we pretty confident that this will be broadcast live and on demand on ISU youtube with or with out VPN? I was mildly amazed that Peacock did on demand for a day or two...during worlds....

yesterday

Record Breaker
iirc, he even got Shoma to do some of the "silly fun stuff" off ice during the shows last summer 😅

I dont see anything on SYWTWfS yet. Are we pretty confident that this will be broadcast live and on demand on ISU youtube with or with out VPN? I was mildly amazed that Peacock did on demand for a day or two...during worlds....
Yes.
You could try with the latest: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xg3oFUgOeVY
trivia: there's a 3A-4T attempt in there

Last edited:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
whole post

Oh trust me, I have sympathy. I hated, hated, hated those work conferences with fake fun team building.:mad: Towards the end of my life of paid employment, I just "got sick" and didn't go to them at all. I am at heart a grouch.:biggrin:

But my work was not skating programs in an arena full of people where judges, who will decide what my placement will be, are judging me on performance. Presumably the skaters do not believe that they are Michael Jackson or Elvis Presley or Charlie Chaplin, but are trying to convince the judges that they understand and can perform that music or program well enough to earn high performance marks.

If that is in fact your profession, and you are getting a big payday for the comp you are attending, then act like an adult, turn on that aspect of your profession in the KnC, and go along with the silliness. No one is saying you have to be Jason. Just don't be a total killjoy. ;)

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Oh trust me, I have sympathy. I hated, hated, hated those work conferences with fake fun team building.:mad: Towards the end of my life of paid employment, I just "got sick" and didn't go to them at all. I am at heart a grouch.:biggrin:

But my work was not skating programs in an arena full of people where judges, who will decide what my placement will be, are judging me on performance. Presumably the skaters do not believe that they are Michael Jackson or Elvis Presley or Charlie Chaplin, but are trying to convince the judges that they understand and can perform that music or program well enough to earn high performance marks.

If that is in fact your profession, and you are getting a big payday for the comp you are attending, then act like an adult, turn on that aspect of your profession in the KnC, and go along with the silliness. No one is saying you have to be Jason. Just don't be a total killjoy. ;)
LOL!!! I enjoyed your post, el henry... Thank Heavens we didnt have team building in the state patrol...I would have ended up taking out the guy I was forced to work with... :laugh: :rofl: wait...are we gonna have team building here now? :slink:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
well... i am a performer... so technically, I should be outgoing and enjoy these shenanigans... I DO NOT. :) I find it fun when others do it... but do not ask me to do it myself... unless you provide lots of champagne... which I doubt is something that would be appropriate for figure skaters...

So i am on the side of : do it if you like it, but do not impose it on others.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
well... i am a performer... so technically, I should be outgoing and enjoy these shenanigans... I DO NOT. :) I find it fun when others do it... but do not ask me to do it myself... unless you provide lots of champagne... which I doubt is something that would be appropriate for figure skaters...

So i am on the side of : do it if you like it, but do not impose it on others.
ITA. Outside of the world of figure skating, I see horseplay and shenanigans turn into practical jokes and bulleying. Especially when alchohol is involved....that's why you wont find me in a bar and I only go to old people's parties. Thankfully, other than the silly masks and hats, all I see at these kinds of skating events is very supportive cheering....

Sackie

Medalist
At the resort my friend and I go to they have a Japanese a la carte that we used to like going to - but not for the 'show' and party atmosphere it can turn into. We stopped going to it because the last time there we didn't want to take part in the show - having the chef try and throw food in your mouth, up dancing around in the room, shouting out every time the chef did a certain move, etc, and the rest of the guests at the table made fun of us and called us party poppers all through out the dinner, and a couple even threw food at us. We left before desert. As 4everchan says - if you want to take part great but don't make me feel bad if I don't want to take part.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
At the resort my friend and I go to they have a Japanese a la carte that we used to like going to - but not for the 'show' and party atmosphere it can turn into. We stopped going to it because the last time there we didn't want to take part in the show - having the chef try and throw food in your mouth, up dancing around in the room, shouting out every time the chef did a certain move, etc, and the rest of the guests at the table made fun of us and called us party poppers all through out the dinner, and a couple even threw food at us. We left before desert. As 4everchan says - if you want to take part great but don't make me feel bad if I don't want to take part.
Exactly. Not my kind of place. The reason I cruise Holland Amerika Line is they cater to old people. We dont want Miki Mouse coming up to us at dinner and making small talk...Miki Ando, yes. Miki Mouse, no. LOL!
But oh to be in Japan this time of year....when I win the lotto I am hiring a private jet and Fumie Suguri and her sister to interpret for me and arrange everything... anyone wanna go along? There are five seats left....

yyzskater

On the Ice
I think the large prize money is enough to keep the event "serious" for skaters even if there's a more jovial atmosphere. Considering training is so costly for most of the athletes, any chance to make more money from competing is a welcomed opportunity that won't be wasted.