2023 World Team Trophy Men's Short Program | Page 12 | Golden Skate

2023 World Team Trophy Men's Short Program

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Tatiana Malinina (UZB) - 1999 Four Continents FS
She was the undisputed master of the King Tut arms. I hated this program back in the day, but looking back, it has a nostalgic charm.

Who had better choreography? Tatiana or Steve Martin?

mrrice

Record Breaker
Tatiana Malinina turned 50 in January. Conversely, Ilia turned 18 in December.

Bearing in mind that we are now closer to 50 than we are to 18, yes, she is young! ;) :biggrin:

Ted mentioned in commentary that Tatiana was the inaugural Four Continents Ladies Champion. Well, here are her programmes (all with Japanese commentary):

Tatiana Malinina (UZB) - 1999 Four Continents SP
Tatiana Malinina (UZB) - 1999 Four Continents FS
Tatiana Malinina (UZB) - 1999 Four Continents EX

Enjoy!

CaroLiza_fan
Here's another great skate from Tatiana at the NHK Trophy in 2001. She falls on her opening Lutz and then nails the rest of her program. She pulled up from third to win the Gold. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IUA51ukhuU&t=389s

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ilya is almost unbelievable, probably the greatest male jumper in the history of figure skating.

Totally agree. I watched "I Put a Spell on You" 3 times, every time just marvelling and enjoying every second. His jumps spin so fast that it's hard to be sure of how many rotations

But that's just counting rotations. What's fabulous is how beautiful his jumps are, and how spot-on he is with the music. he shows such personality ❤️ and magnetism :points: with his artistry. (and it's not necessary, but it always charms me when a male skater sings along with some of the lyrics!)

Just wow.

JimR

On the Ice
@JimR I agree with you about Shoma's sorta-flip. People get up in arms about Morisi's toe-sal-whatever-that-is, and just ignore whatever it is that Shoma calls a flip.

But it's irrelevant now, because Shoma ain't here.

Now, as for Ilia. This SP scored better than it did at World's because it was skated better. Better ease of flight and flow on the jump landings = more GOE. More extension/ice coverage/commitment to movement = better PCS. It's not a scoring flaw if a better performance earns more points; that's the way it's supposed to be.
At worlds Ilia with a clean skate scored less for components than Rizzo with his disaster skate. It was absurd.

I just watched Worlds and the Team Trophy performance side by side, the Team Trophy performance slightly better, jumps virtually identical. He probably should have been a few points ahead of Shoma after the SP at Worlds, instead 5 points behind. Just my opinion.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ilya is almost unbelievable, probably the greatest male jumper in the history of figure skating.
There is someone named Nathen Chen who probably holds that title at the moment. Unbelievably consistent jumper who lost exactly one competition from Worlds 2018 until the Olympics in 2022 and who knows if he kept competing how his record would look now.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I’m so happy Ilia won the short program skate. He is a jumping phenom that was under scored at Worlds. Cha skated just as good as worlds. Love Kevin…I might have placed him in 2nd just cause he skates with so much passion.

Jason, best team captain. I loved his sportsmanship. Also, he secured USA of the win by scoring higher than the Japanese skaters.

The rest of the men, were bleh… so many quads, yet so many mistakes and horrible combos.

Keegan was unfocused and that 3Lz 2T was horrible. Stephen was atrocious. He scored almost 30 points less than the 11th place finisher. I knew he was a mistake to send over to WTT.

I expect USA to win now. With Japan in 2nd followed by Korea. They need to make the team events worth 10, 8, 6, 4, 2. Right now, it is all about the single events.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Over all, We really enjoyed watching the men's short programs. I do think Conrad Orzel should have been sent to the WTT instead of Stephen. May Stephen have a redemptive free skate.

Got to love the team spirit for ALL of the teams!

Oh, I get a kick out of how the (Japanese?) announcer pronounces "France" each time skaters for the French team compete. He says it like "Frahnce."

Last edited:

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I won't get up at 6:30, not even for Kevin and Jason. Which is saying something. ;)
I have to be up by 6 AM tomorrow morning. Jason should be skating around 5 AM if I have the time conversion correct. So my plan is to get up and watch the final flight and do what I have to do from 6 AM on. Wish me luck. And best wishes for great performances from Jason and Ilia. There have been a lot of season's bests at this comp. Go Jason!!

Kris135

On the Ice
I know that Ilia wanted to prove a point but that good way to get a career ending injury. Ilia there are places for throwing everything you have this was not one of them