2024-25 Canadian Figure Skating | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2024-25 Canadian Figure Skating

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
A friend of mine in Europe had a hard time getting a deferral : his reason, broke his arm playing football.... after several weeks of back and forth, they accepted to give him a deferral. It's no joke. These school are so competitive, not just to get in, but during education and also to get out in style... But it shows how talented as a dancer he is, and often, very talented individuals need to make difficult choices. Sometimes, money can be a factor too in these decisions. Julliard with (and perhaps even without) a scholarship is probably cheaper than figure skating.
And probably even more so nowadays. My violinist daughter and her cellist friend were students at those schools in the late 1990s. She gave up skating as a hobby in high school when she broke her wrist falling on her hand. It was a fairly clean break that healed quickly, but I had to explain to the intern in the ER why she was being so hysterical about it, that she was a violin student (at the Toronto Conservatory at that time) and had an important recital scheduled in a couple of months. And that was before she was even old enough to apply to Juilliard.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
This was a very informative article about so many things and so many pairs.

Here is an important quote for those who may speculate about Fiona and Ben.

Q: Was it a surprise when she teamed up with Ben? How did that happen?

Marcotte: It wasn’t that surprising–Ben was already working with our school. [Note: Mimar had also worked with coach Andrew Evans.] I think the bigger surprise was that Fiona’s last partner, Gabriel Farand, decided to quit skating. That was a surprise. Brooke and Ben were already done [at that point], and Ben was looking for a partner. When Gabriel decided to quit, Fiona did the tryout with Ben. She did a tryout with another boy, and Ben did some other tryouts. But then they decided to give it a go.

BearryBear

On the Ice
Country
Canada
So why did Canada lose their challenger series? I get the added Cranberry but would having 2 NA events be too much? NA skaters need affordable opportunities too.

saine

Medalist
Country
Canada
So why did Canada lose their challenger series? I get the added Cranberry but would having 2 NA events be too much? NA skaters need affordable opportunities too.
They decided not to hold it this year? It'd be nice if there could be 2 NA Challengers and more Challengers in Asia, but that depends on federations wanting to hold them.

Heather T

Rinkside
Country
Canada
That would be heartbreaking considering both her mother and sister are Olympians and have represented (and will represent) Canada. That Brooke would jump federation, and have her career under another flag is something I feel uneasy about because of her family history... But, it's not my feelings here that matter most but hers ;) She is tall so the pool of partners is indeed very shallow. I wonder if Daleman is still trying to get back into the sport and though he is only 20cms taller than Brooke, he is taller than Brooke's former partner Brandon Toste. I wish her all the best.
I recently saw her at Skate Oakville doing off-ice training with someone new. I did not recognize him but he was wearing a European jersey, for whatever that is worth. Perhaps she and a new partner would skate for Canada?

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I cannot say for sure but it seems to me that when it's USA's turn to do the NA challenger, Skate Canada just does not host ACI. I also may be wrong about this but USA still offers their event every year... Gosh.. Skate Canada is so poor.... It is very worrisome

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
This is so awesome !!!! The Free dance is totally amazing to watch ! I love this discipline. I have never seen it before.

Emmy did very well skating to Mozart d minor Fantasia and the a minor Sonata (3rd mvt) and i was okay with the music cuts ;)

Bravo !

Thanks for sharing this gem.

PS get this girl a great partner !!!!

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
This is so awesome !!!! The Free dance is totally amazing to watch ! I love this discipline. I have never seen it before.

Emmy did very well skating to Mozart d minor Fantasia and the a minor Sonata (3rd mvt) and i was okay with the music cuts ;)

Bravo !

Thanks for sharing this gem.

PS get this girl a great partner !!!!
My fingers were twitching on a phantom keyboard. I used to play the Fantasia (as probably all piano students do) before I sliced the tendon in my left thumb and had to drop piano and concentrate on singing instead. I wouldn't have thought of skating to it, but she made it work!

I've seen a couple of solo dance performances, but not at her level. The others got repetitious after a while and I found myself waiting for jumps that didn't happen. I want to know how she does those kneeling twizzles, or whatever name they've been given, without snagging a blade. I won't try them without knee pads, though! Ouch.