2024 Canadian Nationals Junior Pair LP | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2024 Canadian Nationals Junior Pair LP

saine

Medalist
Country
Canada
I thought she was talking about the other two teams.
I went back to the stream archive around 1:50, she talks about how Ava/Yohnatan have made an excellent case for themselves and "we'll look to see if they're selected for the junior world team"

FlossieH

Final Flight
Country
United-Kingdom
I went back to the stream archive around 1:50, she talks about how Ava/Yohnatan have made an excellent case for themselves and "we'll look to see if they're selected for the junior world team"
If they aren't selected then I will be crosser than I was about Rose being robbed of the junior title last year!

saine

Medalist
Country
Canada
If they aren't selected then I will be crosser than I was about Rose being robbed of the junior title last year!
The only way they aren't selected is if an outside factor prevents them from being chosen, I thought it was funny Kirsten was wondering if they would be chosen since they were the obvious choice coming in and only reinforced it here :)

FlossieH

Final Flight
Country
United-Kingdom
The only way they aren't selected is if an outside factor prevents them from being chosen, I thought it was funny Kirsten was wondering if they would be chosen since they were the obvious choice coming in and only reinforced it here :)
Depending on whether the Georgian pair compete, and whether the Ukrainian lass recovers in time, Ava and Johnathan could potentially win junior worlds.
I hope the Georgians don't enter. I know that they are age eligible for juniors, but they really are a senior pair.

eterislouisvuitton

On the Ice
Depending on whether the Georgian pair compete, and whether the Ukrainian lass recovers in time, Ava and Johnathan could potentially win junior worlds.
I hope the Georgians don't enter. I know that they are age eligible for juniors, but they really are a senior pair.
They will compete most likely. Sliusarenko wants to optimize his titles and financial incentives before his teams burn out. Chikmareva/Ianchenkov (16/19) were injured over the summer but won bronze at Russian senior nationals and won junior nationals last year, but he said they will still go to junior nationals. He really wants to assert his dominance.

I think Skate Canada will likely keep 3 spots no matter which team they send to JWC, so look at who has higher risk/reward potential for a second medal. And AKLL probably have the higher ceiling, as also indicated by SB scores (158 with a stsq fall for AKLL vs 155 completely clean for DT)

I wonder if AKLL or DT will get assigned senior worlds alternate spots. Ava is too young, Emma/Nic are gone.

saine

Medalist
Country
Canada
I wonder if AKLL or DT will get assigned senior worlds alternate spots. Ava is too young, Emma/Nic are gone.
They won't. Skate Canada would have to send them out to compete as seniors and that's not going to happen. Derenisky/Eberl will be the likely alternates since they have the minimums.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I know. AK/LL were stronger on the JGP, D/T were better at the JGPF, and then AK/LL win here but it's practically a tie. I think if it was switched and D/T were slightly ahead, they'd probably just get the spot, but like this... I'd probably go with the Nats results and send AK/LL but idk
It's a toss... D/T have better presentation and lifts. Marly have much better SBS jumps and throws.
I feel that it's easier to lose a lot of points on jumps and throws with the deductions... So I would go with Marly.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
that's why you need to watch the french stream :) with Charlie Bilodeau and Alicia Pineault.

Charlie : K/E they delivered a very exceptional performance to become National champions :)

Alicia : well deserved score

Charlie : so many young pairs at this level already, incredible.

He then talks about the difference between junior pairs and senior pairs... about the technical levels, the ease in lifts and the full package and then simply says, the edge from the 2nd place to the 3rd place was earned on technical merit.

There is not a single moment when they have selection banter because clearly, that's not their job ;) and I appreciate that ;) (selection banter is OUR job LOL)

Honestly, I think that either Marly or D/T could fight for a medal at worlds.... Skate Canada is probably not really worried about this I would say... Skate Canada cannot be worried about spots either at this point. I don't see how any two teams sent would not be both in top 7 for the 13 aggregate for 3 spots. Then, JGP spots... not very much an issue either, considering Skate Canada earned more than they have used (UGHHH) and other countries who may place ahead will not need all their spots.

The selection should be about who is readier. I feel that Jazmine and Kieran could use some more time to build up triples while Marly already have their triples and short term, they can improve their pairs elements faster than Jazmine and Kieran could learn triple jumps and throws. So Marly have a higher ceiling and also and are readier. I would think they also have a higher chance of success and also a lesser chance for a very low performance.

Now, the real issue is for next year : Ava is only 15 and will not be old enough for seniors. Yoni will be too old for juniors. He is turning 21 next month. So will they split? Will they sit out a year ? Will the "exceptional rule" from the ISU be repeated ?

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Pairs were really encouraging! We loved Kemp/Yelzarov and Kent/LL winners in both programs! There were also a lot of enthusiasm from all competitors.

Callahan/Roch felt like another standout for us life, with well matched pair and very expressive female partner. One of the Quebec couples (gray-and-silver) had beautiful glide (sorry 2 days of competition had lots and lots of names!)

Last edited:

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Now, the real issue is for next year : Ava is only 15 and will not be old enough for seniors. Yoni will be too old for juniors. He is turning 21 next month. So will they split? Will they sit out a year ? Will the "exceptional rule" from the ISU be repeated ?
No he's not. The ISU bios are day.month.year, not month.day.year. So he was born in December 2023, and has just recently turned 20. So he's junior eligible next season. And Ava will turn 16 in June, so when he does age out, she will be old enough for senior.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
No he's not. The ISU bios are day.month.year, not month.day.year. So he was born in December 2023, and has just recently turned 20. So he's junior eligible next season. And Ava will turn 16 in June, so when he does age out, she will be old enough for senior.
Did I read his dates wrong? (and yes!!! i didi!!! he just turned 20!!!!) I was for sure thinking he was turning 21 before July first. This pleases me very much :)

SubRosa

I love Lussi
Final Flight
Country
Canada
I’m pleased with the content these youngsters are attempting, many sbs triples and throw triples.

I’ve grumped a lot about Skate Canada not filling the JGP spots, but there was significant rearrangement of the partners after last season. 2/3 of the pairings at this event were new ones. They demonstrated what they are all capable of here; if these partnerships stick, they will not be easily ignored when handing out JGP spots next season.

Ava and Yohnatan will be senior eligible in the Olympic year! And we get to watch the younger pairings simmer in juniors for a few years. All is well.

eterislouisvuitton

On the Ice
I'm also really impressed by Behnke/Sauve! Only 14/16, not quite consistent but they have two triple throws and two triple jumps despite a very little height difference. I think they are clear favorites for YOG gold and here's to hoping they will find other partners to match their talent.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I’m pleased with the content these youngsters are attempting, many sbs triples and throw triples.

I’ve grumped a lot about Skate Canada not filling the JGP spots, but there was significant rearrangement of the partners after last season. 2/3 of the pairings at this event were new ones. They demonstrated what they are all capable of here; if these partnerships stick, they will not be easily ignored when handing out JGP spots next season.

Ava and Yohnatan will be senior eligible in the Olympic year! And we get to watch the younger pairings simmer in juniors for a few years. All is well.
Junior pairs has been the biggest highlight for me as a Canadian skating fan this year. What a powerhouse Canada has become in like... no time... These pairs are all emerging post-covid lockdown... and show so much promise. Knowing that they still have more time ahead of them to develop further as juniors is amazing too ! I am not thinking as far ahead as the Olympic season. Who knows what could happen to the field... comebacks (Nic and Emma I am calling your names !) .. retirements, new teams, splits etc but WOW ! I am thrilled to see how things are going right now. What I appreciate as well is that they come from different coaching staffs. They also have focused on developing their strengths and optimizing what they can score right now. When they address their weaknesses, and they have plenty of time doing so, they will all be extremely competitive pairs not only as juniors but as seniors as well. I don't want to name some of our senior pairs who are struggling to get triples and land things... but the reality is that some of our junior pairs are already delivering higher technical content. WOW !