2024 European Championships Men's Free Skate | Page 38 | Golden Skate

2024 European Championships Men's Free Skate

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Not sure that Adam, with that skate, should be that far ahead of the elder Selevbro (and I never really understood Selevbro love until now. The skate of his life convinced me. ;) )

Also thrilled for Gabriele.

Sad that some skaters must bobble for others to thrive, but they will be back at Worlds. :)
Agree on all points. Honestly, I wouldn't have been offended if the first two places were flipped.

I thought Selevko delivered such a confident program. I love a good running edge on a jump, and I thought his were magnificent, especially in the first half. That was "bam!" Spins not as impressive, but... overall such strong impact.

I think this is the first time I've really enjoyed Frangipani. That had some passion.

icewhite

Record Breaker
I don't think that's true? Out of 24 men in the FS, we have:

Not Russian (16)
  • Adam SIAO HIM FA
  • Aleksandr SELEVKO
  • Matteo RIZZO
  • Lukas BRITSCHGI
  • Gabriele FRANGIPANI
  • Deniss VASILJEVS
  • Nikolaj MEMOLA*
  • Mark GORODNITSKY
  • Adam HAGARA
  • Ivan SHMURATKO
  • Luc ECONOMIDES
  • Maurizio ZANDRON
  • Tomas-Llorenc GUARINO SABATE
  • Andreas NORDEBACK
  • Gabriel FOLKESSON
  • Davide LEWTON BRAIN
*I know he has a Russian mother, I just mean for the purposes of this discussion

Russian-born, train elsewhere (5)
  • Vladimir SAMOILOV (competes for Poland, trains in Italy)
  • Georgii RESHTENKO (competes for Czechia, trains in the US/Czechia/Belgium
  • Nikita STAROSTIN (competes for Germany, trains in Belgium & Germany)
  • Makar SUNTSEV (competes for Finland, moved there as a child)
  • Aleksandr VLASENKO (competes for Hungary, trains in Budapest)
Russian-born, train in Russia (2)
  • Fedor CHITIPAKHOVIAN (competes for Armenia)
  • Vladimir LITVINTSEV (competes for Azerbaijan)
Other (3)
  • Nika EGADZE (born in Georgia, lives and trains in Russia)
So, 2 or 3 (depending how you count Egadze) that meet your criteria of still living and training in Russia. 5 others that were born in Russia and now train elsewhere, but as was pointed out earlier, Suntsev moved to Finland as a young child, so he shouldn't be counted imo. So max 7/24 that could be called "just Russians". And taking a look at those that missed the FS, none of those 8 were Russian-born.

I was exaggerating, but I still think it makes a bit of a farce out of the quota system. Suntsev really is a different case. But the other ones... I don't think Starostin feels German (or Belgian) at all, a recent interview from Samoilov I read also didn't sound like he felt any connection to Poland or Italy... I mean it's already the case so often... but these are 6 of 24 imo... it makes me wonder why there should be a quota system like this in the first place and how much sense this all makes.

SubRosa

I love Lussi
Final Flight
Country
Canada
That was . . . EXHILARATING. I laughed, I cried, it moved me, Bob. May also have buried my head in my hands several times. Thank you, Euro men, for this spectacularly entertaining event. Hugs to Rizzo, I hope the surgeons can fix you. What a note to go out on (hopefully just temporarily). And to Aleksandr Selevko, welcome to the Euro men medallists club!

Last edited:

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Well, that was fun. I saw it from Matteo Rizzo onwards. I thought Rizzo did great (even while leaving some points on the table), Dennis is always a joy, mistakes and all, a showman pur sang and that musicality, so pleased to see Frangipani not implode in the FS, Alexandr was a very positive surprise (I always considered him a cactus but not today), Adam was very nervous but I loved he just did a backflip, deduction or not, and I was sorry for Lukas. Always very watchable but just not good today. Pressure got to him? You know it's the third time Matteo Rizzo gets a Euros medal: in 2019 (where he went from the 10th place in the SP), in 2023 and now again. Good for him!

Last edited:

figureskatingandrainbows

As Kao Miura once said, スケートって難しい
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
I'm so, so, so happy for Sasha Selevko and Estonian skating! Estonia has really come into its own as a federation in the past few seasons, not to mention the incredible job they did stepping up to host several Championship events at the last minute, and seeing them win medals on the GP circuit and Europeans this season makes me so excited for them and other small federations. Matteo was fantastic as well, and I'm so glad he ended his season on such a high note. I hope his surgery goes well and we see him raring to go next season!

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Me: What has a Monte Carlo croupier to do with a spaghetti western going Latin?

Georgii: I'll show you.

Me: Ah, now I see!

Great skate indeed! Georgii was on fire! :clap:

A perfect description of Reshtenko's music! :bow: :clap: :points:

he was skating to a movie soundtrack. the men from U.N.C.L.E. it's a great movie watch it if you have the chance (comedy about cold war and spies)

I watched it a few months ago, and I agree that it was good.

But it was not a patch on the original TV series.

As a side note, the theme music for the TV series was great:

Series 1 Titles (Including introduction to the main characters)

They actually changed the theme tune every series. This is my favourite:

Series 2 Titles

I don't know if they did an extended version, but wouldn't that make a great skating programme? I'm thinking something along the lines of the "Austin Powers" programmes we have seen.

Georgii activated slay mode :bsplit:

he's a deadly spy after all :biggrin: (is he the british or the russian one? or Alicia Vikander?:biggrin:)

If it was me, it would be Illya all the way. (Didn't like the way he was portrayed in the modern film, though).

As for the British one, don't underestimate Mr. Waverly. He may be old, but he can slay as well as the young'uns! ;)

CaroLiza_fan

Skating91

Medalist
Maybe I'm just not used to watching an event where so many skaters are rewarded for so many cheated jumps.

Heroic effort by Rizzo to earn a medal carrying an injury. I thought he was the cleanest of all the skaters with his program and jumps and the most enjoyable programs.

Denis's PCS is so over the top for what was a mess full of errors, almost not a single jump rotated correctly. I wish he would cover his chest more we can see his nipples (put nipple pasties over them at least and that goes for everyone showing their nipples in sheer tops). For the 3A+2A he's getting mostly +3 from the judges the first 3A was borderline for a q and still +3 :shrug: If he skated a simplified program with no errors then the PCS would be still excessive but at least some what justifiable. This was a disaster skate. It was not just a slip or step out that interrupted the program, it was interrupted from start to finish.

Selevko was definitely worthy of a medal, but the 3A+3T neither jump was close to being rotated but +3 and +2 across the board from the judges. Extraordinary. The program lost all energy by the end he did really well to hang on. With such a small base value he really needed everything to go his way, he was really good in the short program too. I think this will be the high point of his career he won't come close to repeating it. He did really well.

Adam wasn't great but this much like Loena in the women's there is no competition for him/her. He was so confident of victory he could showboat with a somersault (I can understand them not wanting to encourage figure skaters to injure themselves attempting it). Judges were a lot more harsh with him dinged him for everything. Didn't get the free ride like many of the others. This will just continue to make him stronger.

Last edited:

Skating91

Medalist
Not sure that Adam, with that skate, should be that far ahead of the elder Selevbro (and I never really understood Selevbro love until now. The skate of his life convinced me. ;) )

Also thrilled for Gabriele.

Sad that some skaters must bobble for others to thrive, but they will be back at Worlds. :)

Selevko's GOE on his clean elements couldn't be any higher.

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Okay I fell asleep during... M. Nordeback I think? And OH MY GOD SASHA SELEVKO EUROPEAN SILVER MEDALIST!!!!!!!!!!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
did Adam troll the field by doing a back flip again ? I didn't have time to watch and with Canadian Nationals on at the same time it's tough... but yeah... I saw the protocols LOL

BTW.. both my boys (frangi and conrad orzel) zayaked today... not a good day. though for the first one, it was alright.. he may pinch himself later knowing that without that zayak he may have made a trip to the podium.. as far as conrad is concerned.. oh well... let's try to focus on the australian open starting this weekend.