4 World Champs odds of Oly Gold? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

4 World Champs odds of Oly Gold?

blackey

On the Ice
Hmm. The only thing I'll remember is that V/M did deserve their title because P/C made a butt load of mistakes in their SD. Seriously, how could they have lost so many levels? It was almost embarrassing. And I say that as a huge fan of P/C.

I think the result was fair too. But most of people just don't seem like that, 95% comments I've read about ice dance was saying how can v/m's poor skating with a fall beaten p/c's flawless FD.

andromache

Record Breaker
I think everyone is underestimating ISU desire for semi-interesting competition. Pairs/men/dance will be interesting as long as things are similar to how they are now, but ladies are the moneymaker, and no one wants an inevitable coronation of X skater. It's bad for business, and even competitions that seem like they might usually end in coronations of X skater wind up differently (2006 Plushenko being the notable difference.)

olayolay

On the Ice
I think everyone is underestimating ISU desire for semi-interesting competition. Pairs/men/dance will be interesting as long as things are similar to how they are now, but ladies are the moneymaker, and no one wants an inevitable coronation of X skater. It's bad for business, and even competitions that seem like they might usually end in coronations of X skater wind up differently (2006 Plushenko being the notable difference.)

Yep, Alina Zagitova is going to seriously challenge Medvedeva. Maybe even Marin Honda.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I think the result was fair too. But most of people just don't seem like that, 95% comments I've read about ice dance was saying how can v/m's poor skating with a fall beaten p/c's flawless FD.

I don't think the opinions of the judges and the opinions of people on the internet necessarily have much to do with each other.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
If 95% of fans are disgruntled by V/M's win then I wonder what kind of thoughts they're having about Hubbell & Donohue or even Chock & Bates. One mistake in one competition shouldn't define a team or skater. I can't even imagine applying that kind of logic to the men's field with all the falls we see there. :noshake:

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Uh...Adelina has to earn her spot to the Olympics, does she not? She'll be up against Evgenia, Alina, Maria Sotskova, Polina T, Elena, Anna Pogorilaya, and Liza. There's a lot of internal competition in Russia she'll have to face to even get to PyeongChang.

pETEs (Sasha Fan)

Match Penalty
Uh...Adelina has to earn her spot to the Olympics, does she not? She'll be up against Evgenia, Alina, Maria Sotskova, Polina T, Elena, Anna Pogorilaya, and Liza. There's a lot of internal competition in Russia she'll have to face to even get to PyeongChang.

It is quite anguishing to be a Russian élite figure skating lady these days.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
It is quite anguishing to be a Russian élite figure skating lady these days.

You know I think she could've helped herself if she competed more regularly. Going to Euros, going to GPs, showing she's still willing to duke it out with the others. I know people have said the Russian Fed will dump Anna after Worlds but she does have a track record with strong showings and I think there would be support for her getting an Olympic spot if it were really close between her and Maria (as an example). Adelina's disappeared from international events after Golden Spin 2015...And then chose not to compete even nationally in 2016-2017. She's not Plushenko...I don't think she's guaranteed anything right now except maybe a berth to compete at Nationals.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker

I also think so. I think they were already craving to give Kaetlyn these very high scores this year, because nothing is more boring than a pre-determined result. All the other disciplines are more open. There must be some level of excitement for the Olympics Ladies event. In the end it's all about that Gold medal. It might be nice if someone gets a surprise bronze or something, but the Gold medal is the the one people remember.

royce

Rinkside
If 95% of fans are disgruntled by V/M's win then I wonder what kind of thoughts they're having about Hubbell & Donohue or even Chock & Bates. One mistake in one competition shouldn't define a team or skater. I can't even imagine applying that kind of logic to the men's field with all the falls we see there. :noshake:

Agreed, especially with Hanyu bombing in the SP and then him rocking the LP. People seem to forget V/M rocked their SD and hit all their levels. They did more than enough; aside from the trip, that Latch FD was the best they've skated.

maddiesparks

Rinkside
Medvedeva 100% barring injury.

V/M 100% - I believeeeeee. They also couldn't have gotten a better pick for the SD. If people thought they dominated with hip hop, just wait for their Latin routine.

Hanyu 60% (the other 40% goes to Chen)

S/H are probably around a 50% for me. I'm not overly invested in pairs, but these two have something special.

QuadThrow

Medalist
Well P/C really showed an Olympic Program this weekend. Maybe there is still the chance for Gold.

Nobody has said so far that Aljona will retire after Poeng Chang. Bruno is still young enough for 2022. I am not kidding.

maddiesparks

Rinkside
Well P/C really showed an Olympic Program this weekend. Maybe there is still the chance for Gold.

Nobody has said so far that Aljona will retire after Poeng Chang. Bruno is still young enough for 2022. I am not kidding.

I do think that judges were ready to give VM an even higher score at Worlds, but Scott's near fall really screwed that up for them. Regardless, PC did have a beautiful skate and they were the rightful winners of the FD that night. In terms of their chances for OGM, it will really depend on the programs next year but I still see the SD being a huge hinderance for them, and if VM come out of the gate strong (like they did this season), I think it'll be game over. JMO, of course.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Yep, Alina Zagitova is going to seriously challenge Medvedeva. Maybe even Marin Honda.

Technically maybe but her PCS won't rise high enough unless she pulls off a Lipnitskaia. Russia already has the OGM essentially in the bag so there's really no point politicking for Zagitova as well, as they did for Lipnitskaia leading up to Sochi.

TerpsichoreFS

Marin Honda's skating skills
Final Flight
Hanyu 60% (the other 40% goes to Chen)

No Shoma Uno? Before Chen burst onto the scene, he was my pick. But he's becoming the new javi. The kid was 2 points away from world title at 19, had the highest tes of the competition, but he often gets discarded. And the judges love him.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Technically maybe but her PCS won't rise high enough unless she pulls off a Lipnitskaia. Russia already has the OGM essentially in the bag so there's really no point politicking for Zagitova as well, as they did for Lipnitskaia leading up to Sochi.

A third season where she completely dominates the Ladies event is a big question mark, especially with Zagitova in the mix. Sure, she's done this longer but with someone who can beat her TES, nothing is guaranteed. As it is now, yes, she has it in the bag. But next year? Who knows. She won't reign forever.

olayolay

On the Ice
I really don't see Virtue/Moir or Hanyu winning again. Repeat gold medalists are so rare and the judges like to spread the wealth. Hanyu has a better chance than V/M because the technical content with the quads is more perceptible, whereas dance is more vague and 'oh-it's-just-a-feeling-I-have', and the scoring has a lot to do with politics. V/M won this year because Papadakis/Cizeron coasting to an Olympic gold medal as three time world champions is no fun for anyone and the ISU wants to drum up drama and suspense.

Last edited:

blackey

On the Ice
I really don't see Virtue/Moir or Hanyu winning again. Repeat gold medalists are so rare and the judges like to spread the wealth. Hanyu has a better chance than V/M because the technical content with the quads is more perceptible, whereas dance is more vague and 'oh-it's-just-a-feeling-I-have', and the scoring has a lot to do with politics. V/M won this year because Papadakis/Cizeron coasting to an Olympic gold medal as three time world champions is no fun for anyone and the ISU wants to drum up drama and suspense.

yes, that's exactly my thought. Hanyu still have the chance up to his performance on the day, I'd say if everyone goes clean he's still gonna win. But ice dance, lol.