Aldridge, Eaton announce split after six years | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Aldridge, Eaton announce split after six years

slider11

Medalist
Although there is sadness with any split, I think this one is for the best of both. It could have been the programs but I just did not see the spark between the two. Daniel has wonderful posture and skating skills and presents the lady very well. I am not coming up with any partners but surely there is a 5' 4" or shorter lady partner that would be a good match for him. Someone with strong skating and dance skills who could create some magic. It will be difficult for Alex at 5'5" to find a 6'+ partner. And frankly I'm not sure her basic skills are as strong as Daniel's. But I wish them both well.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Although there is sadness with any split, I think this one is for the best of both. It could have been the programs but I just did not see the spark between the two. Daniel has wonderful posture and skating skills and presents the lady very well. I am not coming up with any partners but surely there is a 5' 4" or shorter lady partner that would be a good match for him. Someone with strong skating and dance skills who could create some magic. It will be difficult for Alex at 5'5" to find a 6'+ partner. And frankly I'm not sure her basic skills are as strong as Daniel's. But I wish them both well.

This is dance so I don't think he has to be as tall as all that! Tessa and Scott only had about 4.5 inches between them- she herself is actually 5"5' (Alex is actually only about 5'4 and 1/2") :) With that said, admittedly, Alex doesn't have the slightest build; however, someone who was 5'10" and had the right build himself could doubtless handle her (in fact that's Eton's height).

azcalder

Rinkside
YEEEESSSS!!!!!:agree:, Thank you

After the Short Dance, Daniel mentioned that it had been tough with his back. He later added that it was a stressful couple of weeks with some inflammation in tissues. I noticed when he bowed after the free dance, he didn't bend over, but more or less shifted his shoulders. This could be an added factor in the split.

bwayrose7

On the Ice
Sorry to hear this, I always enjoyed watching them, even if not as much as some of the other teams. Considering they've pretty much fallen out of favor (if they ever were to begin with), though, it's not entirely shocking. With H/B surpassing them immediately, I think that was probably the last straw.

semosk8tfan

Medalist
Country
United-States
I really hope that Daniel can find a new partner because he is a very talented skater (and such a cute guy!) and I would hate not to see him on the ice any more

missysays

On the Ice
As for the Shibs never skating with other partners, I wonder if actually Alex S might be considering retirement. I think Terry Gannon mentioned something in the Nationals telecast that they had considered quitting as a team. They both have interests outside of skating and are highly motivated to pursue their education. I think he mentioned that they did put aside thoughts of quitting and recommitted themselves this year to their skating career. But if their Worlds finish is not promising this year they may reconsider that decision.

In that case, I could see Maia of the two of them wanting to continue on with skating because she seems the steadier in competition between the two of them. But having said that I'm not sure she would be a good match with Daniel. The problem with Daniel and Alex A was not only were they not progressing technically but performance-wise they didn't have an interesting dynamic on the ice together. They're both pleasant skaters but there's nothing riveting about their interplay with each other on the ice. Daniel would need a partner he can really play off of in a performance. I'm not 100% he and Maia would be able to achieve that- there's something about their personalities that seem very similar.

There really aren't any available senior ladies ice dancers that I think he could skate with. I wonder if he'd consider going younger into the Junior ranks. I'm thinking of someone like Rachel Parsons who even though she's 17 already looks very mature on the ice and is rapidly outgrowing her brother. I have no idea about her technical ability though. Back a few years ago, I would have loved for Shannon Wingle to have a chance to skate with a more solid charismatic partner like Daniel. She was a beautiful ice dancer who was never able to find a partner to match her ability- plus I think she struggled with injuries. She has probably retired by now though.

It will be interesting to see who Daniel ends up with. Fingers crossed for Alex A as well.

Barb

Record Breaker
As for the Shibs never skating with other partners, I wonder if actually Alex S might be considering retirement. I think Terry Gannon mentioned something in the Nationals telecast that they had considered quitting as a team. They both have interests outside of skating and are highly motivated to pursue their education. I think he mentioned that they did put aside thoughts of quitting and recommitted themselves this year to their skating career. But if their Worlds finish is not promising this year they may reconsider that decision.

In that case, I could see Maia of the two of them wanting to continue on with skating because she seems the steadier in competition between the two of them. But having said that I'm not sure she would be a good match with Daniel. The problem with Daniel and Alex A was not only were they not progressing technically but performance-wise they didn't have an interesting dynamic on the ice together. They're both pleasant skaters but there's nothing riveting about their interplay with each other on the ice. Daniel would need a partner he can really play off of in a performance. I'm not 100% he and Maia would be able to achieve that- there's something about their personalities that seem very similar.

There really aren't any available senior ladies ice dancers that I think he could skate with. I wonder if he'd consider going younger into the Junior ranks. I'm thinking of someone like Rachel Parsons who even though she's 17 already looks very mature on the ice and is rapidly outgrowing her brother. I have no idea about her technical ability though. Back a few years ago, I would have loved for Shannon Wingle to have a chance to skate with a more solid charismatic partner like Daniel. She was a beautiful ice dancer who was never able to find a partner to match her ability- plus I think she struggled with injuries. She has probably retired by now though.

It will be interesting to see who Daniel ends up with. Fingers crossed for Alex A as well.

I think the same, but they already said their goal is Korea 2018, so I wish the best for them and for Daniel and Alex to find new partners, may be Paul/Islam, that team is terrible too, I think they need new partners.

caitie

Medalist
Alexandra Paul and Mitch Islam are dating, though, last I heard. Can't see them splitting up. I don't think they're terrible, either, I just think this year's paso is a weak dance for them and they misfired with their first free dance.

carriecmu0503

On the Ice
I think the same, but they already said their goal is Korea 2018, so I wish the best for them and for Daniel and Alex to find new partners, may be Paul/Islam, that team is terrible too, I think they need new partners.

Maybe Daniel should call Emily Samuelson? Only half joking.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
While the media guide says Alex is 6 ft, here I am standing behind him a week ago and I am 6 ft 2 in.
http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd385/CoyoteChris303/P1000359_zps35a34643.jpg
I love them both and they are very nice people, smart and gracious, but at some point one has to decide how much higher one can go in the world of ice dance and how much time and effort it will take vs what one will do with the rest of their lives.
I have to wonder that at least Alex will move on after worlds to his forever life....

Like I said, it maybe unlikely. And Alex S is indeed 6' according to IN. Of course, I'm not certain if Daniel hasn't updated his latest height there. But he doesn't look much taller than Alex A when they skated.

caitie

Medalist
I mean, after Worlds they will probably be top 5 in the world which is nothing to sneeze at. I don't think wanting to go to two Olympics in your ice skating career is unreasonable, and Alex will be 26 for the 2018 Olympics. Maybe if the international judges keep low balling them they'll be discouraged, but they aren't even close to being one of those teams where I wonder why they don't hang up their skates. In fact I was surprised when they said they might quit after Sochi. I also don't get the sense that either would be interested in skating with anyone else and am always surprised to see it suggested so much.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I mean, after Worlds they will probably be top 5 in the world which is nothing to sneeze at. I don't think wanting to go to two Olympics in your ice skating career is unreasonable, and Alex will be 26 for the 2018 Olympics. Maybe if the international judges keep low balling them they'll be discouraged, but they aren't even close to being one of those teams where I wonder why they don't hang up their skates. In fact I was surprised when they said they might quit after Sochi. I also don't get the sense that either would be interested in skating with anyone else and am always surprised to see it suggested so much.

I found it very interesting to learn at Nationals that the Shibs had reworked several parts of their program to get higher levels. Apparently, they acknowledged that their steps/lifts/whatever weren't getting the levels... and they fixed those.

I'm glad they didn't just wonder why their scores were low, but went out to fix them. While I think we can all shrug our shoulders at how National scores would translate internationally, we can be sure of one thing.

Their relative standing compared to Chock/Bates improved dramatically at Nationals, and insider info says they are continuing to work very hard at home for more improvements. So, I'm really interested to see how things shake out at 4CC... and further down the road at WC.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
It was obvious to even us ignorant folk in the seats how well they were skating.....watching them do so well was one of the highlights of nats for me.....its tough when you see the skaters as people and you want the best for them, and not just in the skating world. Say Alex wanted to become a doctor some day. How long do you delay your education and go on skating and possibly injuring yourself or your sister? Its not an easy decision for anyone. I am just glad I got a chance to watch them at every nationals since, what? 2007? Plus other events I could make...

I found it very interesting to learn at Nationals that the Shibs had reworked several parts of their program to get higher levels. Apparently, they acknowledged that their steps/lifts/whatever weren't getting the levels... and they fixed those.

I'm glad they didn't just wonder why their scores were low, but went out to fix them. While I think we can all shrug our shoulders at how National scores would translate internationally, we can be sure of one thing.

Their relative standing compared to Chock/Bates improved dramatically at Nationals, and insider info says they are continuing to work very hard at home for more improvements. So, I'm really interested to see how things shake out at 4CC... and further down the road at WC.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Rachel Parsons and Daniel Eaton would look great together :love:! And yes, at this point she is getting too tall for her brother who is unlikely to grow more. Eaton I think is at least a few inches taller than Michael, so I think they could be a good match. Technically I would say Rachel is as strong as Alex, and she has the potential to continue improving. Not sure who Alex would fit well with though.

Last edited:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Maia with Daniel would be interesting :popcorn:, but Alex with Alex just NO, she is too much tall for him. She needs someone really tall like Evan or Andrew, she is in troubles.

Alex is taller than Daniel I'm pretty sure. Daniel is a smaller guy, he looks about Josh Farris' height in pictures. Alex may not be 6 feet tall but I still think he's taller than Daniel. In ice dance height doesn't matter than much anyways. I mean, Stepanova is nearly as tall as Bukin and they just won a medal at Euros.

tulosai

Record Breaker
It was obvious to even us ignorant folk in the seats how well they were skating.....watching them do so well was one of the highlights of nats for me.....its tough when you see the skaters as people and you want the best for them, and not just in the skating world. Say Alex wanted to become a doctor some day. How long do you delay your education and go on skating and possibly injuring yourself or your sister? Its not an easy decision for anyone. I am just glad I got a chance to watch them at every nationals since, what? 2007? Plus other events I could make...

I really don't get the people on this forum who seem to think you can't get a college education when you're 30 for some reason, and that if you don't start college in your early 20's you're somehow doomed. This is just not true. I am not meaning to attack you at all Chris, I really like you and think you are one of the most reasonable posters here, but this is something I hear over and over than never makes any sense to me. You can't become a professional ice dancer at the age of 30 or 40, but you sure can become a college student then. No, you won't have the 'traditional' college experience, but not everyone needs or wants that. If they have dreams of being a doctor or something, they can do that when they are 35, it really is not the problem some people here seem to think it is. I always remember the people who were like Charlie White wants to go to law school! he must retire NOW to do it! I went to a tier 1 law school. At least 1/5 of the people in my class were over 30. A handful were much over 30. It didn't seem to hurt them any.

Barb

Record Breaker
I really don't get the people on this forum who seem to think you can't get a college education when you're 30 for some reason, and that if you don't start college in your early 20's you're somehow doomed. This is just not true. I am not meaning to attack you at all Chris, I really like you and think you are one of the most reasonable posters here, but this is something I hear over and over than never makes any sense to me. You can't become a professional ice dancer at the age of 30 or 40, but you sure can become a college student then. No, you won't have the 'traditional' college experience, but not everyone needs or wants that. If they have dreams of being a doctor or something, they can do that when they are 35, it really is not the problem some people here seem to think it is. I always remember the people who were like Charlie White wants to go to law school! he must retire NOW to do it! I went to a tier 1 law school. At least 1/5 of the people in my class were over 30. A handful were much over 30. It didn't seem to hurt them any.

Totally agree with you, Sasha Cohen Is 30 yo and she is in the university, she travel, get fun, really seems a great life. And Alex dont want to be a doctor, he wants something related with tv or films . And even if he wants to be a doctor the only problem is if he wants to do a subespeciality, because needs many years but to be a general physian is ok.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

One of my former editors decided to quit journalism and went to law school in her 50s. She finished about two years ago and is now practicing. So it's definitely not too late!

carriecmu0503

On the Ice
Totally agree with you, Sasha Cohen Is 30 yo and she is in the university, she travel, get fun, really seems a great life. And Alex dont want to be a doctor, he wants something related with tv or films . And even if he wants to be a doctor the only problem is if he wants to do a subespeciality, because needs many years but to be a general physian is ok.

I realize this probably varies by country but I just would like to debunk the myth about medicine in the United States. There is no such thing as a general physician. Yes, there are people who practice as primary care physicians (family medicine, internal medicine, pediatrics), but these are also considered specialties. They require a residency of 3 to 4 years after medical school just like any other specialty. Again, I realize it may not be like this in other countries. While a person technically could go in to practice after doing a one year internship following medical school, it is generally not done. To be a board-certified physician, one must complete a minimum of a three-year residency. By calling someone a general practitioner in the US, you are actually insulting them (unknowingly) because they also have a 3 to 4 year post medical school residency just like physicians with other specialties. Try asking a surgeon about a medical (meaning, nonsurgical) issue, and many of them will stare at you blankly. They may be able to fix your knee, but they have no idea what to do about your sinus infection.

Last edited: