Alena Kostornaia | Page 200 | Golden Skate

Alena Kostornaia

icybear

Medalist
One more title and she'll get a clean sweep of all the international titles this season. Hard to believe that at the start of the season she was the underdog of the 3.

madmax

Rinkside
:hap93: :yes2:

As always
every time she skates, she made my day
every time she wins, I get emotional

As to the detractors :handw:

Falun

Rinkside
I wonder what Eteri said to her after the free skate; Alena looked so disappointed, as if she expected she wouldn't win.

Batsuchan

Medalist
I loved the generous little gesture Aliona made when she invited Anna and Sasha to stand with her on the highest spot on podium for the anthem. Plus, I shall be looking for a fan cam of the award ceremony, because I need to see the lap of honour, with her and Anna dancing to the music.

YES!! That was SOOO sweet to see! :yes:

Yeah, I know that there are those people who think that Aliona is some kind of diva :rolleye: but it's moments like these that show how much respect and affection she has for her teammates! :agree: :luv17:

I also liked how she got Anna to dance with her on the podium--and I'm eagerly awaiting video of them dancing during the victory lap! :yes:

Liam Cross, aka Mr. Aljona Savchenko's, latest art print is of our Alyona!

https://www.instagram.com/p/B7wgFqLI5sm/?igshid=1q3m31i0cdffb

:love:

Awww, and little Amilia is transfixed by Aliona again! :biggrin:

Did you all see Aljona Savchenko's story yesterday? It seems like Amilia is quite a fan of our vampire angel! :luv17:
https://www.instagram.com/p/B7t6fJ-I4IK/

Alyona Kanysheva posted a congratulatory pic on her IG story--aww, I love their friendship too! :love:

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
I wonder what Eteri said to her after the free skate; Alena looked so disappointed, as if she expected she wouldn't win.

Eteri Georgiyevna as a perfectionist, likely won't be happy with any of the performances of her pupils today.

I am slightly confused, this moment in the process of preparation for the World Championships would have the athetes at the peak of their periodisation cycle. But perhaps NY-Xmas break with no training did indeed leave an effect on these still young athletes?
They do need a period of recovery and relaxation after the very stressful GP series and National Championships.

By the time of March, the physical and mental strength of the skaters should be fully restored.

Congratulations to Axel Angel Alyona. One fall, but no calls saved her today.

Batsuchan

Medalist

Yeah, well we all know that Aliona is a perfectionist. I'm sure she was really upset about falling on that 3Lz. :yes:

I'm not exactly sure what happened, but she took a very different angle/approach going into the 3Lz than she usually does--usually she's traveling along the midline of the rink, not cutting across sideways, so I have to say I wasn't surprised that she fell. :yes:

It was going SO WELL before that though!!

I'm sure that's not the performance Aliona wanted to give, but it's ok. Like I said yesterday, I am hoping she saves her perfect performances for Worlds! :yes: :pray:

I have to say, I'm kind of surprised by how this competition went down. You all know that I love Aliona most of all, but I really thought it would be Sasha's turn to win!

Of course I'm thrilled that Aliona won Euros :hap57: but I want her to win Worlds most of all, and now she's going to go into Worlds as a favorite. I hope that doesn't put too much pressure on her. :slink:

But perhaps I'm getting ahead of myself. Most of all, I want her to MAKE IT to Worlds, so PLEASE STAY HEALTHY AND INJURY-FREE, Aliona!! :pray:

Heikkitapani

Rinkside
Something wrong with the ice? First time in my life I watch the whole event, usually I have seen only 12 best. (back in the old days finnish TV showed only the potential medal contestants) Quite of few contestants of the first two groups spent half of the time sitting on the ice. Estonian girl who just stayed standing the whole FP rated quite high. Finnish Peltonen (who is IMO not very special at all) fell on ice. Scherbakova, Trusova also.

An then... was she on her own Aliona-class! Yes, definitely. Hey, but fell in a easy jump for her. Finnish commentator said that Aliona looked a little bit astounded because it was so unfamiliar for her. And that commentator don't like "too young" skaters. But when it comes to skating, Alena is by far the best. Now I realize it better when I saw the whole game.

Vemvane

On the Ice
The gesture of a gracious winner, but my best moment was when she had Anna (who was barely blocking her tears) to start dancing on the podium with her.

Yes. I am so glad that the three of them do have a good friendship, and can be good sports, whether winning or losing. They were so funny to watch when they danced on the podium!

Vemvane

On the Ice
Press conference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTrlzdxspKc. Considering some of the questions, I'd be looking at my mobile, too. :noshake:

Thank you for sharing this! I don't really like the questions that were asked at the start, especially the one posed to Anna about winning silver or losing gold. Let's not rub it in, shall we? The questions from the floor, though, were more entertaining, and I laughed so much when they all said together No to the question about going to Junior Worlds! And horsey Aliona is of course going to see the Lipizzaners if she can. A must for any horse-mad girls visiting Austria!

Aliona is still on her phone, I see, which makes me wonder if she is anything like I was at school, where I was still attentive, but needed to be busy while listening. In my case, that meant covering my books and later lecture notes with sketches, often to the dismay of the teachers. Perhaps she would do well with a fidget spinner instead of the phone in press conferences!

Fluture

Record Breaker
:bow: :clap: :luv17:

Aliona. I will pretend the lutz never happened. European and GPF Champion! Awesome!

vesperalvioletta

Medalist
Country
United-States
Alternative perspective of the press conference with some awesome eye-rolls by the translator (who I guess is either part of Rusfed or team Tutberize, as she is there for a lot of press conferences): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04LnEDyo2NU
That's Tatjana Flade. She's a German sports writer, and actually occasionally contributes articles to Golden Skate sometimes, so that explains why she's always around. She speaks Russian and English fluently, obviously, but I don't know if she just volunteers to translate for press conferences since she's there already. A lot of her journalism does seem to focus on the Russian ladies.

Batsuchan

Medalist
Alternative perspective of the press conference with some awesome eye-rolls by the translator (who I guess is either part of Rusfed or team Tutberize, as she is there for a lot of press conferences): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04LnEDyo2NU

The eye rolls were awesome! :biggrin: :agree:

Well...At least Aliona looked at the people who were asking the questions today... I just hope that if the ladies have a public press conference like the men did (the one Aliona crashed), that she pays attention the whole time!

Hopefully she has a chance to see the Lipizzaners! :yes:

I realized that Aliona is now the first and only woman to score 240+ three times in a row! :eek: :agree:

This headline from the Japanese press about Aliona's victory made me laugh:
https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20200126-00000038-dal-spo
"Kostornaya, the embodiment of beauty, successfully completed 2 triple axels to win for the first time. The 3 Russian ladies sweep the podium." :biggrin:

They are not wrong! :laugh:

McBibus

On the Ice
Some sparse comment on the press conference:

Shorter and much better than the SP conference: some (very long) questions there managed to bore me to death and were plain obvious or stupid.
Boring me while Aliona is on the screen is some real achievement :dev2:

I loved the 1st open question to Anna.
The questions by the moderator not so good too many "what if".
Yesterdaynight whichever skated clean would win, but nodody did so maybe a question on mounting pressure on their internal competition could be more interesting.
We know they would respond that they just think of skating clean but would worth a try instead of "how many chances did you think you had to win"

If you posed an interesting question to Aliona that allow her to express herself you will have a real reply.
"it's me who skates not the coaches" :laugh: and compliments to Eteri for coming out with rarely used music

I really hope she could see those horses, I saw them in vienna when I was about her age and stilll remember the place and the show.

The way Aliona coordinated the group "NO" was hilarious.
I always have the impression that with her personality she's the one who sets the mood of the group.

Sasha's shiness is so sweet

McBibus

On the Ice
That's Tatjana Flade. She's a German sports writer, and actually occasionally contributes articles to Golden Skate sometimes, so that explains why she's always around. She speaks Russian and English fluently, obviously, but I don't know if she just volunteers to translate for press conferences since she's there already. A lot of her journalism does seem to focus on the Russian ladies.

I noted she was close to Aliona even when she stealed the men conference