Alena Kostornaia | Page 221 | Golden Skate

Alena Kostornaia

SkateSkates

Medalist
It seems to me she is aware of the difficulties of combining medical studies and skating, which is why I believe she said she would also maybe be interested in being a sports journalist a few months back. In her live stream a couple of weeks ago she was planning on taking exams on more subjects than necessary just in case - I assume this is just in case she can’t move forward with her medical studies and will become a journalist instead?

I wonder if this forced break will change her mind in one way or another. As others have mentioned, it is true if next season doesn’t happen, she would have more time to prepare for the exams. I guess only time will tell in these uncertain circumstances.

Batsuchan

Medalist
"Skater Alena Kostornaya now has the opportunity to practice ballet and choreography at home. Such a gift to the athlete was made by her fans"

https://www.fsrussia.ru/news/4996-u...arok-sportsmenke-sdelali-ee-bolelshchiki.html

She's just wow!

Ooh, how nice to have a video of Aliona with her new equipment! :love:

Bravo to Kostornaiateam for organizing this gift! :cheer2:

Here's an alternate version of that interview that Edwin kindly translated:
https://fs-gossips.com/alena-kostor...n-angel-im-not-an-angel-this-is-not-my-story/

Some thoughts from me:

1) Aliona had a very mature and informed response about the cancellation of Worlds. :agree:
It does sound like she might have been in some pain and not in particularly good shape, so maybe it was a blessing in disguise for her for Worlds to be cancelled. But she's probably right that it will be difficult to start training again and that there will be a higher chance of injury then.

2) I'm a bit puzzled about two things. First, she mentioned that the road for her to study neurosurgery "opened up suddenly," and I'm really curious what changed. As SkateSkates mentioned, before it seemed like she had decided that it would be hard to combine medicine and skating, so it seems like something definitely changed.
Also - in this interview she only talked about her brother and her mom, and in her previous Instagram live, she also mentioned that she lived with her mom and her brother. So where is her dad?? :confused:

3) Aliona seems to be very lucky that Eteri and Daniil will listen to her music suggestions and generally will give her what she wants. It doesn't seem like all the skaters in Team Tutberidze have this same freedom...

4) "I'm not an angel" --yes yes, we definitely know! :biggrin:

5) I had to laugh when Aliona said that she probably gets the most complaints and has a lot to work on. Yes, our little devil probably gets scolded the most. :laugh: But as we used to say in ballet class, the teacher is only scolding you because they think you can be better. :yes:

I hope Aliona can maintain her positive attitude! :agree:

SkateSkates

Medalist
Ooh, how nice to have a video of Aliona with her new equipment! :love:

Bravo to Kostornaiateam for organizing this gift! :cheer2:

Here's an alternate version of that interview that Edwin kindly translated:
https://fs-gossips.com/alena-kostor...n-angel-im-not-an-angel-this-is-not-my-story/

Some thoughts from me:

1) Aliona had a very mature and informed response about the cancellation of Worlds. :agree:
It does sound like she might have been in some pain and not in particularly good shape, so maybe it was a blessing in disguise for her for Worlds to be cancelled. But she's probably right that it will be difficult to start training again and that there will be a higher chance of injury then.

I’m so glad we are getting new content from Aliona, although I wish it was under different circumstances.

Regarding her form, I interpreted her saying “average working form” (how it translated) to mean she was in shape to the standard she’s been most of the season. I remember at test skates where she had 1 step out, afterwards she said she was completely unprepared. So I am inclined to believe it was her perfectionist nature to say she was “average” - average for Aliona (to her standards) is 2 clean programs, around 250, totally unattainable for all but her training mates.

I do, however, think there were some minor injuries some time this winter that she trained through, so perhaps this forced time off will help those heal. But the risk for injury when they come back is huge if they try to do too much too soon, and depends on how much longer they are off the ice. Hopefully they are able to resume training in a safe environment as soon as possible.

The statement from the ISU about the Grand Prix leads me to think all of next season is up in the air - at least internationally. It’s too soon to predict anything, but maybe we will see some of the top skaters at the Russian Cup events this fall if there’s no Challengers/GPs. Just pure speculation of course :)

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
the PRIVATE BUSINESS of Alyona Kostornaya

“She connects herself with her music, this is angelic skating,” experts say. " How beautiful ", the audience just sighs.

Alyona Kostornaya, European Champion, winner of the Grand Prix Final in her debut senior season, stands out in powerful jumps as in her overall skating.

And the “angel” is quite earthly, playful and resourceful. She bites at chocolate flowers from her bouquet on the pedestal or declares that "vampires are all beautiful," - this is Alyona. And to kick a horse with spurs - it's the same Alyona. Politely agrees: "Yes, it happens, journalists ask the same things over and over." And getting away with "creating a mess" with friends on her birthday - is her too.

- You, Alyona, will now have to answer for all the winners of the European Championship in Graz. Is that necessary: ​​when you watch a video of your own skating run, you don't enjoy it to some extent? In the program of Ivan Urgant, all of the invited champions had a strange expression on their faces. Don't you really consider yourself winners?

" Ah ... No, personally, I usually somehow look on with neutral emotions: a person glides and slides. Me or someone else. And in that program during the recording, we all looked a little, I'm sorry, stunned. Because on screen wasn't at all what you need to show in order to congratule yourself on your victory: falls, some jambs. That is, crooked, skewed skating, a series of mistakes. And we all started immediately: God, what a mess! "

- That is, you want to say that ...

" Yes, the audience then saw other fragments. In the broadcast on screen, they were replaced, but our reaction couldn't be fixed anymore. "

- And I thought that you are all so implacable in relation to yourself. And why did the European Championships, despite the victory, not leave a strong impression on you? What were you waiting for? If your main rivals are always around?

" I don't know, it seemed to me other emotions should appear, not experienced before. Yet everything was like at the Grand Prix Final, and we were not so far from home. "

- Is this important?

" In general, you expect some kind of novelty from any competition. Why do we all love flying to Canada, Japan, America? There is a long flight, and everything else is different, life, nature, weather. And these cardinal changes are more pleasant and useful than if you are going to, let's say, a neighbouring city. "

- That is, while you're on your flight, you are rebuilding yourself for a novelty that adds emotions, and hence moods?

" Exactly. And here - some expectations, but we flew in, and everything is the same. Of course, there is no time to be bored, but this mood has yet to be created. "

- Just ago, you talked so vividly about your favourite TV shows, laughed that during the discussion you are sure to “hook up” someone new to them. And who is “educating” you in this sense?

" When my mother shouts: “Oh, what a horror!”, I immediately understand that I will like it. But, to be honest, right now there is no lack of exchange of experience on what has been seen and said. "

- “Khrustalniy” isn't a place only for training, but rather for life as a whole, as you can probably confirm. How was your day today?

" I got up, had breakfast, washed, did some assignment - social studies together with a tutor. Then I went to training. Now, after talking with you - I'm going to s my tutor in English.

- And in the evening, after new lessons in the dry hall and on the ice - another one?

" Yes, Russian and literature. Today is such a busy day. "

- At what time will this day end?

" The tutor will work with me from 21.00 to 22.00. In principle, I get up early enough, so for me a lesson at 7.30 in the morning isn't a problem. But in the evening, of course, I’m already on my last strength. I give myself kicks, I look at my watch: here’s another five minutes, five more ... Alyona, you can’t close your eyes! "

- Is there a subject you really do not want to do?

" No, well, that’s not right. Maybe I would like to know chemistry better, history often turns out difficult. "

- And in "Khrustalniy" there's a place where you can retire? It’s probably difficult to always be “in business”.

" Of course, I try not to shine especially between workouts, I won’t just stumble around and attract attention to myself. We have a separate dressing room, there are always blankets, pillows, you can turn off the light and nap when necessary. Even if there is someone in the locker room at that moment, it’s still very good there. And it makes no sense to look for something in the corners. "

- To the current generation, Jeanne d’Arc, somehow isn't particularly close. Why did you suddenly single her out among the great women? How did the “acquaintance” take place?

" I am learning a second language, French, we speak a lot in class about the culture of France. Here, the teacher’s tale sunk into my soul. Later, reading, I was still looking for something myself. "

- So the hour isn't far off when you will thank the audience not only in English, but also in French?

" I can already say some phrases, but so far this is, of course, not a conversation. And with grammar, everything is still not perfect. But I like the language itself, as well as what I learn about the country. "

- Apparently, Paris will be ranked among your favourite cities.

" So far, alas, no. We were in Grenoble, but, of course, didn't see anything. It took a long drive from the airport to the hotel. And the only day when it was possible to see something, as always, was Sunday. And everything is closed, nobody is working. "

- Do you rest on Sunday or study in an even more intensive mode?

" It's my day off: no ice and no training. But in the morning there is also Russian and literature, from 7 to 9. Then I go to the stables for training, I spend a couple of hours at the stables, my friend lives there. And until 8 pm - I do what I want. I go out with friends, go to the cinema ... "

- And is this friend the daughter of the owner of the stable?

" No, she just lives nearby. "

- We look far ahead, but why not: do you happen to see yourself as the owner of a stable in the future? Your eyes light up when you talk about horses.

" No, I don't want that. But I’ll buy a horse, I still don’t know for sure which, maybe a Tinker or a Friesian? Although now I am more inclined to the Welsh pony. Because they jump very high. They aren't tall themselves, one and a half meters at the withers, and it will be most convenient for me to stand and see the croup of a horse. And it’s comfortable to saddle. Yes, I’m not able to cope with the big ones. "

- Why do you need your own horse?

" It's clear why. It's like with skates - yours or not yours. You can ride in any if you only go out once and do nothing, even on hockey skates. I want to take part in show jumping competitions. And if you train, it’s better, of course, on your own horse. "

- And what kind of character do you need in your horse for competition: frisky or obedient?

" I've ridden on many, my aunt's horse is beautiful, tall, simply ideal. Each photo with him is a masterpiece. But, starting a workout, I usually just do five laps striding. And with him - I walk three circles and two - I need to kick. And not just kicking, but with spurs. "

- Meaning he is lazy?

" No, if you start him, you cannot stop him. But you have to start him. And here I was riding a gelding, it was a sports horse, participant in major tournaments, so it was enough to squeeze my legs a little, and that’s all. This was unexpected. I was used to persuade: well, come on, come on, please ... They are all different. But insolence and obedience are needed. "

- Do you often kick yourself?

" Well, maybe it’s not so obvious, but there is something else to surprise yourself with, and the coaches, and the judges, that's for sure. "

- Are you particularly unhappy with something today?

" Skating, jumping, spinning, everything could have been done better. My ideal is probably Carolina Kostner, and also Mao Asada ... Take a little from each and assemble your own. And stability is needed. It’s good that there is such competition in our group. You go out to train and you must do better than yesterday. How else? When Sasha Trusova jumps five quads in front of you? Or Anya Shcherbakova. It turns you on: 'and I, I can do too!' "

- You heard how your skating is called angelic? By the way, the coach Yelena Zhgun, whom you yourself are talking about as the person who taught you how to glide this way, told me very touchingly that you must come to her on her birthday, which coincides with yours on August 24th.

" Yes, I try to keep in touch with Yelena Vyacheslavovna. This is the coach who showed me what figure skating is. What I am doing on ice today is the work of Eteri Georgiyevna Tutberidze and our entire coaching staff. They opened the way for me to the pedestal, but Yelena Vyacheslavovna led me on my first road. Therefore, I try to visit on major holidays, and on her birthday. Celebrating my own? I don’t really like to invite friends to my birthday, and I don’t like to spend it at home. We, five people or so, meet somewhere and suffer from all sorts of sillyness. Even without a definite plan: let's go there? Oh, let's go! Only mom only, of course, isn't very happy: “Well, the is your only holiday, but again she leaves at nine, returns at eight!” Well, this is my life: coming home, eating, lessons, tutors, going out, coming back, eating, tutors ... "

- They say that the main thing isn't this dream, but the path to it. Is there a road you definitely want to enter?

" So far, it's figure skating - until 2022 for sure. About further I haven’t thought seriously. There are two roads that seem interesting. Perhaps journalism, but I do not want to abandon the idea of ​​becoming a doctor. "

- You don't really remember, by your own admission, the time when you just went out on the ice. But, when the relationship with the triple Axel began, you remember that? Although it was a long time ago, even during training at the "Tchaikovskaya Rink" with Yelena Zhgun.

" Well, about this relationship? I was spinning, then jumped, fell half a turn, and so on - with a splat. A couple of attempts, and I literally had to be scraped off the ice. This Axel is not any Axel ... Even when I started to jump him stably at the beginning of this season, I realised: you don’t jump him for a couple of weeks and he is gone! You can start again, flying like a kamikaze. "

- He doesn't give you any respite?

" With him, you must definitely tune to this 'feeling' from which to jump. And if you lose it, then you are looking for pain. This is hard to explain to someone who does not jump. "

- And the large majority of the world's figure skating are unable to jump him. Therefore, your feeling, it turns out, can only be understand by a few people in the world.

" My mother likes to say: 'you won’t forget how to ride a bicycle, what’s your problem?' No, it's not like that. You've mastered the bike - and for life. And now - somewhere in Krasnoyarsk someone sneezes wrong, and everything will go wrong for you. This Axel, as one might say, is quite personal. "

(c) Ирина СТЕПАНЦЕВА
----
From: https://fsrussia.ru/files/mfk_magazine/wfk_21_2020.pdf

Interview apparently taken during 2020 Europeans in Graz.

Last edited:

Hammer24

Rinkside
Country
United-States
“ With him, you must definitely tune to this 'feeling' from which to jump. And if you lose it, then you are looking for pain. This is hard to explain to someone who does not jump. "

- And the large majority of the world's figure skating are unable to jump him. Therefore, your feeling, it turns out, can only be understand by a few people in the world.

" My mother likes to say: 'you won’t forget how to ride a bicycle, what’s your problem?' No, it's not like that. You've mastered the bike - and for life. And now - somewhere in Krasnoyarsk someone sneezes wrong, and everything will go wrong for you. This Axel, as one might say, is quite personal. "

....this is brilliant

sweetice

Praise the Ice God
Final Flight
Thanks Edwin, as always.

Just... why don't correct also the translation of huge names like Kostner and Asada ? :noshake:

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Thanks Edwin!

No thanks :)

A bit cryptic and enigmatic interview, and not very revealing after all. But Alyona didn't give rise to controversy this time, like the single sentence about 'raise your hands' the other interview provoked. That sentence was taken completely out of context and used to throw shade on Alyona and hate on Eteri Georgiyevna.

It also can mean, Alyona will be less forthcoming in future interview requests. Since #TeamTutberidzeForProgress doesn't give interviews, it seems the press is going after their students as of late. The students, still being kids, might find this interesting at first, but will learn quickly that certain press has its own agenda and is not to be trusted.

Thanks Edwin, as always.

Just... why don't correct also the translation of huge names like Kostner and Asada ? :noshake:

Corrected.

SkateSkates

Medalist
No thanks :)

A bit cryptic and enigmatic interview, and not very revealing after all. But Alyona didn't give rise to controversy this time, like the single sentence about 'raise your hands' the other interview provoked. That sentence was taken completely out of context and used to throw shade on Alyona and hate on Eteri Georgiyevna.

It also can mean, Alyona will be less forthcoming in future interview requests. Since #TeamTutberidzeForProgress doesn't give interviews, it seems the press is going after their students as of late. The students, still being kids, might find this interesting at first, but will learn quickly that certain press has its own agenda and is not to be trusted.

Corrected.

Yeah it seemed like quite a few of her statements from the TASS interview that were clearly sarcasm or hyperbole were taken out of context and shared on English speaking twitter. Obviously that moment, plus the one about “chaining themselves up to prevent growth” were not serious.

macy

Record Breaker
Thanks for sharing.

Unfortunately at this point it seems she is set on retiring after the 2022 Olympics to begin school. I may be selfish, but with the time we have already lost and still might lose because of the virus on top of the fact that Beijing is less than 2 years away...its not enough time left with her :( I hope she realizes there is no rush for school and she can start anytime, and may have a change of heart. She has so much talent and could really become legendary in the sport if she stays long enough.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
All of the Amazingly Awesome Aces seem realistic about the chances of having a long career vs the wear and tear of figure skating at its highest level on their bodies.

Personally, I'd like them to pursue a good education and professional career outside of sport. The girls know firsthand the difference between athletes having a successful career outside of sport and those who have not and can barely manage to make ends meet, living from gig to gig.

They should be realistic over the possibility that only the rarest athlete will become truely financially independent and completely self determining all by themselves.

Fried

Final Flight
I fully agree with Edwin's opinion. The real drama will be that there is unfortunately only ONE Olympic gold medal.

Good Vibes Only

On the Ice
As long as Aliona is happy with her decisions, it doesn’t matter to me when she retires. Maybe this is why she hasn’t gotten any major sponsors yet. Maybe she doesn’t want to get any in case she decides to not commit to skating long term.

McBibus

On the Ice
Thanks for sharing.

Unfortunately at this point it seems she is set on retiring after the 2022 Olympics to begin school. I may be selfish, but with the time we have already lost and still might lose because of the virus on top of the fact that Beijing is less than 2 years away...its not enough time left with her :( I hope she realizes there is no rush for school and she can start anytime, and may have a change of heart. She has so much talent and could really become legendary in the sport if she stays long enough.

I don't like all that measuring of career in olympic cycles but that is.
To look forward to a second Olympic would be almost unrealistic.

Let her pursue her dreams in life and be happy for her.
I'm happy she has lot of interest and multiple goals to reach.
If she can become a good doctor and save some life there will be more goal medals in her life, even if far from the crowd, the fame and (sadly) our sight.

I coped with the early end of the season, but I hate the perspective of losing all or part of the next year.
I feel robbed of every minute she could not be on the ice sharing her magic with the fans, but she gifted me already the best "ice moments" I ever had.
Whenever she could compete again and whatever she decided to do in some years, the only thing I can give back is my support.