Alena Kostornaia | Page 223 | Golden Skate

Alena Kostornaia

McBibus

On the Ice

SkateSkates

Medalist
It looks like Aliona has been working on her flexibility based on a recent post from her private IG account (which is why I’m not bringing it here). I hope this means that whatever back problems/rumored injury she had is healed! I know she had it taped at Nationals based on photos but we never heard any more actual details from credible sources, just speculation.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker

Oh, Aliona, the queen of 3A!
The most perfect triple axel if I’ve ever seen one. The complex and beautiful entry, the height and the distance, the effortlessness, and her beautiful hands on the landing adding an extra touch of elegance.

This should be the jump ISU should use for their videos. There are other nicely done 3As, no doubt. But how Aliona manages to combine so many difficult and beautiful things all in one is exceptional.

McBibus

On the Ice
The most perfect triple axel if I’ve ever seen one. The complex and beautiful entry, the height and the distance, the effortlessness, and her beautiful hands on the landing adding an extra touch of elegance.

This should be the jump ISU should use for their videos. There are other nicely done 3As, no doubt. But how Aliona manages to combine so many difficult and beautiful things all in one is exceptional.

I'm bound to Midori's trixel.
First skating event I saw live she was there with her never seen before jump.
She had speed and power, absolutely explosive.
A bit like seeing Sasha jumping quad, when you think "OMG this girl can really break the ice!"

There has been other trixel but nothing like that.

Now we have Aliona with the same speed, elevation and explosivity but veiled in such a smooth and fluid action that she makes it look like there is no effort and she's cheating gravity.

This jump has it all: speed, elevation, power, flawless technyque and astonishing beauty.

"The Jump" in today skating
Quads may have more WoW factor, but this is the sum of anything skating has to offer

macy

Record Breaker

took the words right out of my mouth! absolute perfection. nothing about this that doesn't deserve a +5.

SkateSkates

Medalist
took the words right out of my mouth! absolute perfection. nothing about this that doesn't deserve a +5.

+5 for sure! I hope she can do one of this quality at international competition and earn the highest axel GOE for a woman ever :)

vesperalvioletta

Medalist
Country
United-States
It looks like Aliona has been working on her flexibility based on a recent post from her private IG account (which is why I’m not bringing it here). I hope this means that whatever back problems/rumored injury she had is healed! I know she had it taped at Nationals based on photos but we never heard any more actual details from credible sources, just speculation.

I noticed that too. Considering that she can now hold a needle position, I'd hope that means that she's feeling much better!

SkateSkates

Medalist
Coach Sergei Rozanov has left Team Tutberidze for Plushenko’s rink. I wonder how this will affect Aliona, since he is the one who taught and restored her 3A.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
I noticed that too. Considering that she can now hold a needle position, I'd hope that means that she's feeling much better!

That ballet barre she was gifted by her fan group and pointee shoes did the trick.

Good Vibes Only

On the Ice
Coach Sergei Rozanov has left Team Tutberidze for Plushenko’s rink. I wonder how this will affect Aliona, since he is the one who taught and restored her 3A.

I hope that it won’t affect Aliona too much. I also hope that Aliona can still be good friends with Sasha. Their friendship was so cute

McBibus

On the Ice

Rozanov surprised me more than Sasha.
She had a bad year, not technically but mentally, while Aliona and Anna showed powerful mental strength.
A desire to change may rise in a situation like that.

But Eteri, Sergei and Daniil where the 3A border ring.
A terrific team.

As for the effect on Aliona I believe in her strenght and determination.

SkateSkates

Medalist
Rozanov surprised me more than Sasha.
She had a bad year, not technically but mentally, while Aliona and Anna showed powerful mental strength.
A desire to change may rise in a situation like that.

But Eteri, Sergei and Daniil where the 3A border ring.
A terrific team.

As for the effect on Aliona I believe in her strenght and determination.

They are the face of the team, but I think Rozanov was more involved with Aliona behind the scenes. She’s mentioned in interviews 2 seasons ago he was her favorite trainer. I don’t know where it is now but I remember reading this in her 1st junior season. He was actually listed as her coach on her ISU bio this year, but this was not the case for others (ie Anna). There were also reports that he supported her emotionally when she was having hard times. Plus, she’s the only senior who’s mentioned him by name in interviews (ie learning the 3A again this season). So I’m a bit worried he won’t be there, especially during this hard time when coming back will be extremely difficult.

Azikin

Medalist
Plus, she’s the only senior who’s mentioned him by name in interviews (ie learning the 3A again this season). So I’m a bit worried he won’t be there, especially during this hard time when coming back will be extremely difficult.

Yes, it's a bit worrying. But I would be worried way more if she was the one leaving to join Plushenko's team...

macy

Record Breaker
They are the face of the team, but I think Rozanov was more involved with Aliona behind the scenes. She’s mentioned in interviews 2 seasons ago he was her favorite trainer. I don’t know where it is now but I remember reading this in her 1st junior season. He was actually listed as her coach on her ISU bio this year, but this was not the case for others (ie Anna). There were also reports that he supported her emotionally when she was having hard times. Plus, she’s the only senior who’s mentioned him by name in interviews (ie learning the 3A again this season). So I’m a bit worried he won’t be there, especially during this hard time when coming back will be extremely difficult.

i wonder if she is considering moving with him, if that is the case...

sclloyd

On the Ice
Country
United-States
i wonder if she is considering moving with him, if that is the case...

I doubt it. Rozanov left first and then convinced Sasha, Veronika, and Veronika's sister to follow. Rozanov no doubt talked to other girls on the team, but was unsuccessful. Besides, Aliona derives a lot of mental strength from Eteri. I know that Rozanov was an important member of the coaching staff, but he is not the only jumping coach. Aliona's jumping technique is sound, and it seems to all of us she has the capacity to jump these quads even though she doesn't present them unstable the way Sasha and Anna have. She said in a recent interview that she had landed quads in practice. I imagine that, after restabilizing the triples, it will not be a matter of a specific coach's help but rather trusting herself and whoever has the harness to really just go for it the way she did with the 3A. It's a shame to see Rozanov, Sasha, and the Zhilina's leave as they were all obviously very valuable members of Sambo-70, but I think Aliona is with Eteri to stay, and that with or without them she will be just fine.