Alternative countries for skaters, pt. 2 | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Alternative countries for skaters, pt. 2

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
That country is undergoing an oil boom, so they want to be seen internationally (new Formula One event comes to mind).
Actually oil price is going down and countries like Venezuela and Russia are getting affected, so economies that relay on oil heavily will think twice before making a big investment (F1) and is normal that a country wants an F1 GP you have an sportment event that can atrack almost 50000 people or more over a race weekend.

On the other hand I will guess this new countries don´t got instalations and won´t sell lot´s of tickets.

thoakun

Final Flight
Actually oil price is going down and countries like Venezuela and Russia are getting affected, so economies that relay on oil heavily will think twice before making a big investment (F1) and is normal that a country wants an F1 GP you have an sportment event that can atrack almost 50000 people or more over a race weekend.

On the other hand I will guess this new countries don´t got instalations and won´t sell lot´s of tickets.

I read on a rhythmic gymnastics forum that Azerbaijan is hoping to bid for the Olympic Games in late 2020s so they have been shopping a lot of good athletes in a variety of disciplines lately.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I KNEW IT!!! I knew I had come across the name "Maisuradze" before! It was at Russian Nationals the past couple of years!!!

Although, I thought I was thinking of a different skater with the same surname, as I couldn't remember him being that small!!! :laugh:

Thank you for putting me out of my misery, gallavich! :bow:

CaroLiza_fan

Well, you probably saw Nodari Maisuradze, the pair skater. I don't think they are related; Maisuradze seems like a common last name for Georgians...there's a footballer named Irakli Maisuradze as well. Yes, I was googling the young skater boy last night. :laugh: Irakli did some Cup of Russia events but not Nationals.

http://www.fskate.ru/skaters/1888.html

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
I read on a rhythmic gymnastics forum that Azerbaijan is hoping to bid for the Olympic Games in late 2020s so they have been shopping a lot of good athletes in a variety of disciplines lately.

Maybe, but if you want an event for those times, the sportmen/ women wil have to be really young right now, since they would probably be competing in national land in about 10 to 14 years, so they must be loking for teenagers, and we know that in FS the competitive time (for singles) is very short.

Flaya

Match Penalty
Oh my, I just wrote a huge reply to CaroLiza's message and it all disappeared, simply coz I was logged off after 15 minutes. I am so mad! ;)

Some quick points though:

I disagree about the fact that taking a year off at 25 (Leonova) is a huge issue. I was thinking of Kiira Korpi as example who was injured. It depends if the Olympics are the goal.

I mentioned Chaffik Bessegier and there is a new skating ring in Algiers. If he ever wants to compete for Algeria.
http://www.vinyculture.com/900-m²-de-patinoire-alger-partir-du-30-decembre/

Agnes Zawadzki is 20 and I am pretty sure she could secure some sponsorship in Poland, as the economic situation in there improved a lot.

---

Oh, I really dislike when it happens, I will make sure to write my future messages in Excel just in case.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Well, you probably saw Nodari Maisuradze, the pair skater. I don't think they are related; Maisuradze seems like a common last name for Georgians...there's a footballer named Irakli Maisuradze as well. Yes, I was googling the young skater boy last night. :laugh: Irakli did some Cup of Russia events but not Nationals.

http://www.fskate.ru/skaters/1888.html

As in Iliushechkina and Antipova's former partner. Probably was, now that you mention it.

And I think I've realised how I got mixed up.

During the Russian Men's Singles competition, I remember seeing somebody and thinking "That's a very Georgian name". And when you mentioned that Irakli used to compete in Russia, and I recognised the surname, I automatically thought it must have been him. But, I just looked up the results, and realised it was Moris Kvitelashvili that I thought that about.

Oh my, I just wrote a huge reply to CaroLiza's message and it all disappeared, simply coz I was logged off after 15 minutes. I am so mad! ;)

---

Oh, I really dislike when it happens, I will make sure to write my future messages in Excel just in case.

Don't worry, it happens to me plenty of times too! :bang:

For the really long messages, I tend to write them in Word and then paste them in. But for shorter ones, I have gotten into the habit of copying everything to the clipboard just before I post it, just in case something goes wrong.

But, did the "Restore Auro-Saved Content" box not come up in the bottom left-hand corner of the Reply box when you came back for your second attempt at posting?

Anyway, you have some good points. It'll be interesting to see if we see any home-grown Algerian skaters appear in the future.

CaroLiza_fan

Flaya

Match Penalty
But, did the "Restore Auro-Saved Content" box not come up in the bottom left-hand corner of the Reply box when you came back for your second attempt at posting?

Anyway, you have some good points. It'll be interesting to see if we see any home-grown Algerian skaters appear in the future.

CaroLiza_fan

I was searching for it but could not find it. I was aware of it as I am a moderator on a non-FS related invision message board. That is why, I did not pay attention and wrote anything in here.

...and now I am realizing it is a vbulletin message board and non invision, even if the set-up is so similar. That is why some functions work differently. Anyways, I will have time to go into all these subjects in details in the upcoming months. :)

Amei

Record Breaker
For russian athletes, I'm surprised to see not more skating for another federations, but maybe their goal is first to represent Russia at a high level?

Perhaps the support they get from the Fed can't be matched by another country?

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Agnes Zawadzki is 20 and I am pretty sure she could secure some sponsorship in Poland, as the economic situation in there improved a lot.

Poland was happy to take on Patrick Myzyk from Canada, so it seems they can justify it/afford it, so I think they would be pretty happy with her.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
The new article on Icenetwork talks a little about skating in Guinea

Relevant quoted portion

Elladj has discovered he is a little bit famous in Guinea -- that people have noticed that there is a Canadian skater with a Guinean name. He dreams of someday doing a skating show in the country.

"I got to meet the minister of sports and the president of the Olympic committee," he said. "The president wanted to meet me, but he wasn't in the country. Who would have thought skating was popular in Africa? They created a skating federation because they found out there was a skater from there. There's kids out doing tricks on rollerblades outside. It's really crazy to see, the passion they have for this sport. After going there, I can see that I have projects -- maybe one day building a rink."​

anyanka

Record Breaker
Very interesting thread CaroLiza, I just went through it.

Agnes Zawadzki for Poland is a great idea! She's from Chicago north side and it's full of Polish people/of Polish descent, so I am sure she knows the language!

Now, for Leonova... I was thinking about Azerbaijan. It welcomed a lot of Russian skaters in the past as well as some other skaters from the outside, US born Loupolover also comes to mind. I am not sure if they had received any subsidies/sponsorships but at the very least, the Azeri federation made it easy for them to compete. That country is undergoing an oil boom, so they want to be seen internationally (new Formula One event comes to mind). I am not saying the Russian fed. gave up on Leonova, as they clearly continue to send her to other events... but I believe it will pretty much become impossible for her to be in the top 3 in Russia.

Wasn't there some discussion on these two hypothetically moving to other countries? I remember mentioning Alena would do well if Skate Canada courted her. Daleman is lovely, but hasn't proven to be a consistently strong lady quite yet (that is to be determined depending on how worlds goes, she did respectably at 4CC). Leonova could very easily become national champ for Canada, Azerbaijan or a number of other countries with the federation but a lack of depth...if she chooses not to compete for Russia, that is.

noidont

Final Flight
I don't think a single skater can compete for a country without citizenship or am I wrong in that?

I would love Zawadzki for Poland and Gosviani for Georgia, and Nodari taking whoever (hopefully Martiusheva) to Georgia. Georgia will have a respectable whole team if all of that happen and might make World Team Trophy...I'm sure Azerbaijan would love to have Leonova. Many older Russian athletes are switching there. UZB too. They shop for athletes sometimes (Misha Ge for example). Leonova can go any of these places when she is no longer a threat, though I worry that no Russian coach will be allowed to coach her.

Some other ideas, Iushenko/Pogorilaya for Ukraine (might never happen but one can hope), Edwards/Pang or any of those Canadian junior dance teams with Asian boy in it for Hong Kong/Taiwan/Korea wherever they are from, which will help Asian countries to develop dance. Ashley Cain for Australia. Samantha Cesario for Italy (uh?). I do think that basically with the right connection anything can happen...

Krunchii

Record Breaker
I don't think a single skater can compete for a country without citizenship or am I wrong in that?

I would love Zawadzki for Poland and Gosviani for Georgia, and Nodari taking whoever (hopefully Martiusheva) to Georgia. Georgia will have a respectable whole team if all of that happen and might make World Team Trophy...I'm sure Azerbaijan would love to have Leonova. Many older Russian athletes are switching there. UZB too. They shop for athletes sometimes (Misha Ge for example). Leonova can go any of these places when she is no longer a threat, though I worry that no Russian coach will be allowed to coach her.

Some other ideas, Iushenko/Pogorilaya for Ukraine (might never happen but one can hope), Edwards/Pang or any of those Canadian junior dance teams with Asian boy in it for Hong Kong/Taiwan/Korea wherever they are from, which will help Asian countries to develop dance. Ashley Cain for Australia. Samantha Cesario for Italy (uh?). I do think that basically with the right connection anything can happen...

They can as long as their federation has agreed to release them, only for the Olympics they need citizenship