Amazing Skaters Who Never Won an Olympic or World (individual) Medal | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Amazing Skaters Who Never Won an Olympic or World (individual) Medal

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Ahahaha now that would have been great. I actually think she already might have deserved to, seeing that she had the best PCS (Cohen hit the PCS at the Olympics, not nationals). Maybe Rosenthal should be third at 2006 US Nationals.

I think she deserved 4th all considered, which is still great and unheard of in the modern era for the jump content she executed.

It's funny to think about this jump layout people could have been doing in that era of CoP:

2Axel+2Toe+2Loop
3Sal+2Axel
3Toe
2Axel
3Sal
2Axel
3Toe+2Axel

5 double axels LOL. Considering the problems people were having adjusting to CoP, an easy jump layout like this would have been quite competitive if you hit it clean and maxed your levels on the non-jump elements.

Skatesocs

Final Flight
2Axel+2Toe+2Loop
3Sal+2Axel
3Toe
2Axel
3Sal
2Axel
3Toe+2Axel

5 double axels LOL. Considering the problems people were having adjusting to CoP, an easy jump layout like this would have been quite competitive if you hit it clean and maxed your levels on the non-jump elements.
I was thinking through the layout! I really wanted to preserve the cadence of the music, and really thought the +2Axel could become a nice motif through repetition in the program when you suggested it. Especially placed right after a 2A. I know we need to have both triple jumps in combo to repeat them, so I ended up with

3S+2T+2Lo
2A
3T+2A
2A
3S
2A
3T+2A

But haven't given it way too much thought.

PaulE

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Stephanie Rosenthal - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-2J_d9XksU (THE LEGEND. LEGENDARY LEGEND) / https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yi0n2AbCQxg (LEGEND 4EVER)

Thank you very much BoP for the links to Stephanie's skates. I saw the short on TV at the time and loved it. I had never seen the long before. As a fan of South Park and their Peruvian Flute Bands episode, I loved the music for the long program as well.

After years of watching figure skating on TV, my late wife and I started going to see competitions live in about 2007. And what I enjoyed most of all with live attendance (in the days before full competitions were available on the internet) was the chance to see skaters like Stephanie who did not show up on TV.

rain

Record Breaker
Oh, uf, spelling mistakes, still Margarita Drobiasko/Povilas Vanagas

I loved them, which is how I know they were World Bronze Medallists. I believe the program was Spente le Stelle (one of my faves).

mikeko666

Final Flight
Zijun Li
I was not following her closely, but it looked like her competitive career was cut short because of the politics inside the Chinese federation, like the status of Han Yan has been in limbo.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Skating keeps getting further away from true artistry and organic performance/movement quality, and it's sad. There's a very important line here in Sandra's commentary: "the intricacies are not just to collect points, it really is an emotional expression." Although it's funny, if choreography and interpretation were actually being judged correctly, these aspects would be collecting points. It's yet to really happen with the CoP scoring system (certainly not with any level of consistency). The components are mainly judged on reputation, politics, skating skills, transitions.

Hear, hear!

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
Another vote from me for Joshua Farris :) The most beautiful spins, jumps, posture... If he'd remained healthy he would definitely have had a World medal! Even with all the technical development that happened in the late 2010's, I think he would have risen to the challenge.

If it's any consolation, I believe Josh is now working as a coach/choreographer at Colorado Springs. Some of the young men based there remind me slightly of him in terms of classical style and strong basics (e.g. Camden Pulkinen, Andrew Torgashev, Tomoki Hiwatashi). Camden's 2019-20 Caruso SP was actually choreographed by Josh. Of course, these skaters moved to Colorado relatively recently, and Christy Krall and/or Damon Allen (incidentally Josh's former coaches) probably have the biggest coaching input. Still, I'm glad that Josh is continuing to contribute to the figure skating world even if it's in a different capacity.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Kaori Sakamoto
Anna Shcherbakova
Alexandra Trusova
Alena Kostornaia

I'm hoping all of them win worlds medals in the seasons to come :biggrin: :pray:

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Jason Brown (unless we're counting small medals).

He's got two 4CC medals, and the second one not in a slightly depleted field either (as was the case in 2018 when most of the olympians did not go to 4CC). And of course an Olympic Bronze team medal. I know, all these don't count in this context, but I can't help but point out that he has had successes on the International stages. And I for one am always going to remember both his youthful River Dance and his mature and impressive Schlinder's List programmes. Keeping my fingers crossed for him to get that World Medal!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I might add Alyssa Czisny she had such a delicate and graceful style. Lisa Marie Allen also had delicate and majestic look perhaps worthy of a worldmedal. I willwait before adding Jason Brown and Gracie Gold as both are skating still.

Blades of Passion

Record Breaker
Country
France
I'm obsessed with Wendy Burge after seeing this high quality coverage of the whole 1976 Olympic Ladies LP - https://www.facebook.com/olympics/videos/550105825690496/ (at 1 hour 21 minutes is her performance, and also little powerhouse Elena Vodorezova right before her). She has such expression and dynamic movement and musicality! This is one of the few programs from the era with random music cuts spliced together that really works. The Beatles + (???) + Musetta's Waltz, inspired!

I think she should have won the Long Program, and I reallllly want to see her Short Program performance now (there are a decent amount of them on Youtube, but not hers), because it seems like she was just held down and might have been the deserving winner (besides figures anyway). Dorothy Hamill was very clean and well composed, but what Wendy does is more artistic and powerful. And just compare their split jumps and camel spins at the end of each program for example. Wendy smashes Dorothy! There's also a video online of Wendy at 1977 Nationals, where she had to compete after the lights turned off! What a star!

LeReveur

On the Ice
I'm obsessed with Wendy Burge after seeing this high quality coverage of the whole 1976 Olympic Ladies LP - https://www.facebook.com/olympics/videos/550105825690496/ (at 1 hour 21 minutes is her performance, and also little powerhouse Elena Vodorezova right before her). She has such expression and dynamic movement and musicality! This is one of the few programs from the era with random music cuts spliced together that really works. The Beatles + (???) + Musetta's Waltz, inspired!

I think she should have won the Long Program, and I reallllly want to see her Short Program performance now (there are a decent amount of them on Youtube, but not hers), because it seems like she was just held down and might have been the deserving winner (besides figures anyway). Dorothy Hamill was very clean and well composed, but what Wendy does is more artistic and powerful. And just compare their split jumps and camel spins at the end of each program for example. Wendy smashes Dorothy! There's also a video online of Wendy at 1977 Nationals, where she had to compete after the lights turned off! What a star!

I agree that the music cuts for Burge work, and she is quite powerful, but I did not enjoy the choreography or her overall skating.

One U.S. skater I do love watch from the following Olympics is Sandy Lenz.

Blades of Passion

Record Breaker
Country
France
I did not enjoy the choreography or her overall skating.

:eeking: :dev2: :sad46: :furious: :ddevil: :shock2:

What did you not like exactly? Her program shows so much more range and modern sensibility than, like, every other competitor there. They are all doing ice princess while she is giving real expression, not being scared to show actual personality, hitting the flourishes of the music with different movements.

PaulE

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I'm obsessed with Wendy Burge after seeing this high quality coverage of the whole 1976 Olympic Ladies LP - https://www.facebook.com/olympics/videos/550105825690496/ (at 1 hour 21 minutes is her performance, and also little powerhouse Elena Vodorezova right before her)!

Thank you again BoP very much for the link to Wendy's skating. Some years ago when I mentioned to a friend my passion for going to skating competitions, he told me that his niece Wendy had been a figure skater in the 1970s. I did not remember her name and I think watching this video is the first time I have ever seen her skate. I did notice her name on a banner in the practice rink in Colorado Springs when I went there for 4CC.