American Idol - Top 24 | Page 7 | Golden Skate

American Idol - Top 24

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
RE: Lakisha - whoever chose her lyrics for her during the group number is spawn of Satan... why on earth would you give a girl with a major lisp all of the words with teh letter 's'

if there's one thing I have to pick on about Kisha - it's the lisp...

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Senjaya doesn't have a bad voice, it's just it isn't impressive nor big enough, IMO.
I wouldn't mind the fact that his voice isn't "big enough"--I mean, take someone like Norah Jones, small voice with a lot of heart and presence that makes you want to listen to her. Senjaya, on the other hand, is just a boring singer and performer. But every year, some young but mediocre singer captures the female teen vote. Remember Anthony?

I didn't get all the hoopla about Jordin's performance. It was off pitch and included a lot of screaming. Just not in the same league as Melinda :clap: (my favorite by a mile) or Lakisha (just a few steps behind her). I thought the judges raved because 1) she improved a lot; 2) she is very personable and photogenic; 3) for ratings purposes, it's best to have it appear to be a 3-way race rather than a runaway.

My daughter is a HUGE Melinda fan. She says, "She's just so cute! And her last name is "Doolittle"! How adorable is that?" :rofl:

Hi Realtorgal! :rock:

But it's really not fair for Melinda to be in this contest. She can already sing, so naturally she has a big advantage over everyone else.

Originally posted by RealtorGal
Remember Anthony?

Anthony Federov? If that is who you mean, just thought I'd mention that I heard him sing the National Anthem at a Philadelphia Phillies game in '05, live. I'd heard rumors he was singing and as we walked from the parking lot to the ball park, we heard him practicing. Our seats were kinda far from home plate where he stood to sing for the actual performance that we could only see his back unless we watched the huge phanavision screen. But of all the games we've been to to hear the anthem live, he was definitely one of the 2 or 3 that really stood out. He sounded wonderful.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Anthony was the Clay Clone with a heartbreaking story... and he annoyed me lol

good to see you around RG!

emma

Record Breaker
Ok, I'm new to this thread and totally new to American Idol - I've never watched it until this season, believe it or not - it's true. And I love music, I just assumed this was stupid. Now i think it's a total trip and fun. I am over the top for Melinda and Kisha - but given where I live I only talk about the latter.

SO, here's my question - is it always like this on the show where a couple of people are soooooo much better than the rest? Also, is there always such a disparity between the men and women (i'm not liking the men much at all)? And last question: I know the judging panel has been the juding panel, but does anyone know how they were picked and why? Not to offend anyone - but I kind of like Simon (is that wierd?).

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hi Realtorgal! :rock:

But it's really not fair for Melinda to be in this contest. She can already sing, so naturally she has a big advantage over everyone else.
Math, don't all them?? Some better than others but don't most of them sing and have had training?? I guess I don't understand what you mean.

Dee

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Ok, I'm new to this thread and totally new to American Idol - I've never watched it until this season, believe it or not - it's true. And I love music, I just assumed this was stupid. Now i think it's a total trip and fun. I am over the top for Melinda and Kisha - but given where I live I only talk about the latter.

SO, here's my question - is it always like this on the show where a couple of people are soooooo much better than the rest? Also, is there always such a disparity between the men and women (i'm not liking the men much at all)? And last question: I know the judging panel has been the juding panel, but does anyone know how they were picked and why? Not to offend anyone - but I kind of like Simon (is that wierd?).

Simon was chosen because he was the judge on Pop Idol in the UK which is where this show came from.

as for Randy and Paula I can't remember off the top of my head the reasoning behind their selection.

On the first season tehre were two hosts. However Ryan found his popularity a whole lot sooner than Brian did and Brian left the show in pretty much a sour note.

as for this year's talent vs others... it seems to go in cycles... when there's a really GOOD year that has a huge battle (Season 2, and 5) where it could go either way there's normally a season afterward where there are just two or three that are way better than the rest.

The first season those that were chosen to go through were chosen for their looks more so than the overall power on their voice, however when Kelly won over Justin Guerinni (whom Paula swooned over every week) AI realized America actually wanted TALENT before LOOKS

this year I have no idea where the judging was going as far as talent, but it looks like they've done the same thing they did in the first season - looks played a big factor...

Math, don't all them?? Some better than others but don't most of them sing and have had training?? I guess I don't understand what you mean.
Melinda has had extensive experience performing (maybe also recording). She knows how to work with the band, while most of the others are just "signing and the band is playing." Her phrasing is greatly superior to all of the others', IMHO, even though some of the others may also have pleasant voices.

Unfortunately, she is not a "pop idol" type, either vocally or in terms of "look." I don't know if there is any market any more for her style of singing.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I think she's more marketable that Lakisha... but that's just me...

as for her experience - Brandon had that too... and it didn't get him that far.

some folks got it, some folks don't... doesn't matter what the experience is (you could argue that Kelly, Clay, Fantasia, Bo, Carrie, Taylor, and Chris were also at an unfair advantage because they had extensive performance backgrounds and tutoring)

So what did you all think of the British Invasion night?
I missed most of Chris(the first guy to sing) as well as Lakisha, Blake, and Stephane.
However, from what I did see and the little clips at the end that recapped everyone, it seems like British Invastion was a good night for almost everyone.
I can't believe I'm going to say this, but I think Senjaya was actually better than Gina last night! I just didn't enjoy Gina singing "Paint it Black" at all. The music drowned out her voice and she sounded off pitch in some spots.
I'm so disappointed I missed the first Chris and also Blake, because from their "recap clips" it seemed like they were both pretty good.
I thought Jordin and Melinda were best out of the women.
My husband went "ga ga" over Hayley....like Simon said, "I think people are going to remember something besides your singing" or something like that.

How about that little girl they showed who was so beside herself that all she could do was cry? She reminded me of the grown women who you see in Elvis concert clips, crying their eyes out over their excitement!

equestrianguy

On the Ice
How about Sanjiya's mother's shirt.. Momjiya!:laugh: Where was Dadjiya and Sisjiya?! LOL Poor Sanjiya...he was a MESS last night.. It's not even worth commenting on..
Standouts to me were Jordin, Melinda Do-Alot and Blake.. I love me some Shirley Bassy!!! Although, "Diamonds are Forever" was not Lakesha's best.. I LOVED the jewels though!
That poor little girl they kept showing..I have never laughed soo hard during AI.. She was just beside herself..poor little thing..I thought she was going to pass out..

hrmsk8ngnutt

Final Flight
So what did you all think of the British Invasion night?
As much as I love Melinda and LaKisha - and they both performed well, I had a problem with their song choices.

I thought this was the 60s British Invasion. "Diamonds Are Forever" is from 1971. If LaKisha wanted Shirley Bassey AND James Bond, she should have sung "Goldfinger".

I also don't consider Broadway Musicals to be in this music genre, either. The AI website said 'British Pop Invasion'. "As Long As He Needs Me" is from the musical Oliver. I wish Melinda had chosen a song by Dusty Springfield ('I Just Don't Know What To Do With Myself' or 'All I See Is You') or Petula Clark ('This Is My Song').

And why didn't any of the ladies choose "To Sir With Love"? Maybe if Lulu hadn't been the mentor this week, someone would have.

Herm (sk8ngnutt)

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I liked Melinda, Blake, and Jordin... (But when Jordin was singing all I could do was picture Scott Hamilton's program to the song lol)

Melinda's outfit wasn't all that flattering to her, it made her look like she had no neck and that her shoulders were rounded...

was not really impressed with Lakisha's song, but my aunt liked her so I guess it just depends on taste.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Melinda could sing the phone book, and I'd probably love it. :clap:

I don't think anyone would have the nerve to sing "To Sir With Love" with Lulu actually there! :laugh:

I thought Gina, Senjaya and Chris were just embarrassing. Chris was even told to tell a story, and he just didn't. It was just "I need to get through this song."

Stephanie looks great, but I predict she will not make it to the final 6.

I don't get the whole Blake thing.

Also, re a previous comment about Melinda having an unfair advantage because of her experience, I don't get that. It's a singing competition, not a most improved singer over the course of a television show competition. :biggrin:

OK, Peter Noon? I'm Henery the Eighth I am? Henery the Eight I am I am?

I don't know, I'm not feeling it, dawg. :)

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My favorite was Sanjaya!!!! I hope he becomes the next American Idol. :love: :love:

Dee

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Dee you CANNOT be serious???? :eek:

but I do see him winning at this rate...

Is it just me or does Blake put off a very strong 'Sting' vibe? I'm not sure why but he just reminds me of sting... something about his voice...

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
expanding on what Tonichelle just said, before I get to the "meat of things":

I wouldn't have said Sting, necessarily, but I was wondering if I was the only one who noticed a definite "British vibe" in Blake's singing. And not just Tuesday night, either; he just sounds like a British guy when he sings. You know how many British singers have no accent when they sing, but they just have a certain vocal quality anyway that most American singers DON'T have? He's got that "thing" going on. I would love to see Blake tackle Erasure.

Now, as to Tuesday night and the results. Stephanie was ROBBED. I had a feeling she'd probably go home earlier than she deserved; I actually considered a couple of times since this started to call in for her just to help keep her in, but I didn't, so I geuss people like me are part of the problem. :laugh: (No, actually, people who keep calling for Sanjaya are part of the problem; sorry, Dee....:laugh: ).

The bottom 3 should have been Sanjaya (if Simon for all practical purposes wouldn't even go there, I won't either), Haley, and Chris R, who took all the emotion out of that song with that whiny boy-band voice of his. So at least Chris R being in the bottom 2 was right, but I had a feeling of the 2, Stephanie would be the one to go because Chris probably appeals to a wider demographic.Or to put it another way, Chris appeals to teenaged girls who are obsessive enough to call in over and over for 2 hours straight and rack up the vote total, whereas Stephanie would appeal to people who are for the most part older, less obsessive, and will only call once or twice. (This coming from a nearly 40-year-old man who spent an hour and a half dialing in for Fantasia a couple of years ago and got 12 votes in on Finals night -- like I'd be one to talk. :laugh: ) But I think y'all know what I'm saying here....

My top 3 from Tuesday would definitely be Jordin (who almost had me in tears; definite goosebumps), Blake (no other word for that performance but "COOL"; lose the plaid pants, tho...) and LaKisha (I've had that song going through my head for about 36 hours now....:laugh: What a great selection! Tho I agree with Lulu that she would have completely blown us away with "You're My World") Melinda was good once again, but it's the second week in a row she's picked a totally BORING (IMO) song to sing. (If someone was going to do something from "Oliver!", I would have LOVED to have heard "Oom Pah Pah" done by Gina, ha.) Chris S did a really good job with a song I really don't like, but I think starting out in the audience like that was a terrible idea.
I think LaKisha is terrific, but my quibble with her is that she tends to imitate whoever it is who covered the song she's singing. I detected definite Shirely Bassey Tuesday night, picked up a Billie Holliday vibe on "God Bless The Child" and her trying to do Whitney with "I Have Nothing". I think Jordin is definitely the one to watch; I can see Blake (why do I keep wanting to call him Drew??) and Jordin being the final 2.

I thought it was rather amusing that with all the talk the judges make about "not oversinging the song" and "keeping it simple", guest vocal coach LULU goes out there last night and destroys her OWN big hit by turning it into an absolute SHRIEKFEST. I wonder what would have happened if say, Jordin, had gone out there the night before, sang the same song, and shrieked all over the place like that. You KNOW she would have been criticized mercilessly. It's like, well, if your well-established guest stars are butchering their own songs, it seems a bit odd to criticize the less experienced constestants for butchering others.....

Last edited: