And who said Slutskaya can't do the Y-spin. | Golden Skate

And who said Slutskaya can't do the Y-spin.

L

LAVENDER

Re: And who said Slutskaya can't do the Y-spin.

How come she doesn’t do that anymore? It’s been awhile since I’ve since her do that but she looks so small there.

J

Joesitz

Excidra - That first pic is more than a Y spin, it is an Exclamation Point Spin. Just fabulous.

Is that a recent pic of Irina and Nicolae? If so maybe we will see some fancy footwork next season.

Joe

M

mathman444

Excidra, are these really spins, or is she just skating along in these positions? In the second picture she's way over on an edge. (?)

Mathman

N

nthuz

I'd put money on them being part of a spiral sequence, especially the second.

L

Lanternlight

They both appear to be spiral positions, done with poor body alignment and posture which would not bode well for a successful Y spin. Irina is much more flexible through the back, so why shouldn't she stick with her strengths? After all, Michelle and Sasha don't do the Biellman.

L

LAVENDER

I agree Lanternlight. Maybe that's why Irina doesn't do them anymore. I kind of wonder if can do them now that she's older.

Ya guys think Sasha could do a bielman? It seems like if anyone could in the eligible ranks it would be Sasha.

E

Excidra2001

I think the second one is part of a spiral but i'll bet money that the first one is part of a spin.
I really don't see any difference between Irina's Y spin and Michelle's. Her posture seems fine to me but I think she should get the leg more closer to her body(same as Sasha).
I think she can do it if she wants to. Take her bielman for example, she has been doing it since she was a little girl and she still does it.

I'm also willing to bet money that Sasha can't do the bielman.

P

Princess Leppard 625

Someone here who is a former dancer (rgirl, I think) said that people have different areas of flexibility, which is why some people can do great laybacks, and others can't, and why some people, like Sasha, can yank their leg over their head from the side, but not from the back.

Someone who knows more about this than me, please help?

Laura :)

L

Lanternlight

www.heatherw.com/mk/pics/...helle1.jpg

Check out the straight back, the fully extended legs and proper body alignment. There is quite a difference. Irina is turned out to the side slightly, rather than laid out straight to the front, like Michelle is.

K

Kara Bear

The recent seventeen pics have a shot of Sasha in a biellman position. But who knows if she could do it and spin too.

E

Excidra2001

Michelle's body seems to be turned to the side as well. It doesn't look straight. I imagined Michelle's extension on her Y spin would be better than that. Irina seems to have better extension on the Y-spin.
But Michelle has the better leg position. Both skaters have nice posture. I think you are just saying Irina doesn't have nice posture on the Y-spin, becuase a few people comment on how her posture is not great when strocking.
Michelle has a BEAUTIFUL Y-spin and Irina is just as great.
Please let's not turn this into a Michelle VS Irina thread.

Kara,
Are you sure she was in a bielman position? Because I have never seen her do anything close to a bielman. If she can do it, wouldn't she incorporated into her programs? We need Rgirl(she is a choreographer and former dancer) in here, I believe she can tell us whether Sasha's body is built to do a bielman.

L

Lanternlight

Look at the pic of Irina (1st one). It doesn't have the look that a photo gets when you take a spin photo. I am sure it's a spiral position, especially as she appears to be skating on a left outside edge.

It's not MK vs IS, it's just the fact that there is a difference. Just like Irina is better at the Biellman, Michelle has a better Y-spin, check out Irina's knee, it's bent and her torso is slightly twisted to the side.

Anyway, why does it matter? I think judges consider the Biellman harder, especially that she can do it on both legs, so she still comes out ahead.

E

Excidra2001

I know Irina's knee is a little bent. That's why I said Michelle has the better leg position, Irina won't match that.
If Irina can hold her leg up that high while doing the spiral, then she can do the Y-spin, right.
It doesn't really matter if Irina comes out ahead, but it gets tiresome when every thing she does is picked apart.
Even things she excels in is picked apart. Take her bielman for example, many people complain about it and call it ugly. I'm sure if Michelle or Sasha were doing it, it would've been declared the best spin in the world. her Speed is criticized at times and she beats all the top contenders when it comes to speed and ice-coverage. etc.

L

Lanternlight

I know it's tiresome when people pick your favorite apart, it happens to Michelle and every other skater all the time ;)
I didn't call Irina's Biellman ugly, in fact I said it got her more tech credit with the judges. You started a thread about Y spins and I critiqued your opinion, as is the purpose of these boards.

And just because Irina is doing that spiral doesn't mean she can translate it into the spin. Thats very very hard because you have to translate it from a moving pose into a spin, not at all the same thing.

S

SHINE2002

Exidra,
No need to bet your money. I think there must be someone out there who has seen Irina skate to this program. And they will be able to tell us if that's a spiral or a spin. By the way, I think the first picture looks too strange for it to be a spin position. Why would she tilt her body and stick her head out to the side like that to spin? When Michelle and Sarah and some other skaters do the y-spin, their head and torso face the same direction to keep the balance. As for the second picture - no way. The blade is on too deep of an edge to be spinning. I doubt she's spinning in either of the pictures.

J

Joesitz

Lanternlight - Bear with it. After the competitions, the nitpicking begins.

Aside from that I would like to go on record as I have before and say I hate the acrobatic Bielman Spin. The only one who does it properly is Bielman! The rest look like a wrestling match to form an ugly position. I prefer the spin where the skater takes the arabesque leg with one hand and uses the other hand to make it look lyrical. A nice picture. Maria B. had a good one as does Sasha, and Sarah too.

Joe

E

Excidra2001

Kara,

Thanx for the pic. she achieves a nice position on her bielman, I love it. I'm just glad nobody here bet against me.:rollin: I would've been a few bucks short.

I wonder why Sasha doesn't incorporate the bielman into her programs, it could beef up her tech.

J

Jules Asner

Love the pictures of Sasha (thanks Kara) and also Irina's Y Spin. I must agree with Joe, I don't like the beilman very much -- I do like it on long legged gals (beilman, ruh, mok) but the "tug of war" as Joe calls it to get into the beilman position is distracting and ugly no matter who does it. I don't think I would care for it if MK did it since she has short legs like Irina. Don't know about Sasha - she usually gets into positions quickly which might help her cause but I'd have to see it first to judge. Love the photos of her though.