2018-2019 Programs By Discipline | Page 34 | Golden Skate

2018-2019 Programs By Discipline

Layback11

Record Breaker

Miyahara: I’m really liking this so far. There were parts where I felt like she could have been more emotive, but it’s the VERY beginning of the season so I know that will change with time. The choreography is fantastic and I’ve always thought that Satoko does better with more dynamic music (as in her Space FS or the Miss Saigon program) with a variety of high and low points, so this was a great choice. Love the costume too! I have a feeling this is going to become one of my favorites this season.

Honda: I’m a little conflicted here. I’ve always loved Marin, and there are parts of this program that I really enjoy (the StSq is very well-choreographed and she sells the thing like it’s an infomercial), but I feel like this program could be a bit of a misfire for her. The jazzy, kinda sultry cover doesn’t seem to suit her (she was sort of just smiling through it with a couple of well-placed smoulders) and not much of it besides the StSq really struck me in a way that stood out; it fell a bit flat. I hope that will change, because I do love her skating, but I’m not quite sold this program at this point in the season.

Sakamoto: Kaori has some of my favorite jumps in the field, but (with some exceptions) I’m not often enamored with her programs. I feel like I end up finding a lot of them very bland, and this program continues that trend. I seriously dislike the music, but other than that, it’s...nice. Not stand-out-ish in any way. Just nice. And it’s not at her fault; her choreographers (FS is Benoit Richaud, is this one too?) keep giving her forgettable material. I really do like Kaori, and others might love this program and think I’m insane for not thinking it’s great (understandable - this stuff is subjective), but I’m not at all sold.

Can’t wait to watch the rest of these later! :)

Danny T

Medalist
Just caught up on the men's programs at The Ice.

Shoma: I can be convinced on the SP. He still looks like he's skating to Vivaldi but there are some interesting choreographic choices, and the music is not bad either. For the LP, well, I think it's me, but all Moonlight Sonata programs bore me to death. Not that the piece itself is boring musically but I slept halfway through P/C's MS at Milan this year despite them interpreting it very well (it was also 3 in the morning, but my point stands). So, Shoma is just like any other MS, I can't say much except the cantilever is so out of place. Just get rid of it.

Nathan: I like the SP (this seems a trend). He looks like he's having a blast skating to it, which usually makes me feel good watching. It continues to capitalize on his contemporary style and yet not a repeat of Nemesis. I have no idea what to say about the free though - I just don't get it as it is. He will change it anyway, he's not going to do 7 jumps in a row (or will he RIP)

Boyang: Very weird choreography. He looks like he's skating to hard rock, but the music is totally not banging?? What are you doing Nichol??

Some more on the ladies: I love Satoko's FS. Much more promise than her SP, the music cuts blend well together and include nearly all the tango I like.

icybear

Medalist
Boyang: Very weird choreography. He looks like he's skating to hard rock, but the music is totally not banging?? What are you doing Nichol??
Well the music is "While my guitar gently weeps" so I don't think the choreo is weird for a song that's hard rock/blues.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Just caught up on the men's programs at The Ice.

Some more on the ladies: I love Satoko's FS. Much more promise than her SP, the music cuts blend well together and include nearly all the tango I like.

I kind of agree about Boyang - the music has more jazzy, nostalgic feel to it, not a rocking one... I do think though that there is a nice musicality overall in choreography, but his expression/interpretation gets it weirder in reception for me - like someone already wrote there, he tries too much and it kinda looks like Yuzuru's 'Parisian Walkaways' program; this is not the music for such thing, but we will see how develops.

I am also conflicted about Shoma's programs... SP definitely looks better than free in my opinion, however - there should be way more distinct, stronger 'guitar flamenco' feel in his body movement to see it more. And he is capable of that. FS is not what I imagined it to be so far after seeing musical choice - but it could be a work in progress.

Satoko really stood out for me - the programs already are looking super refined, ready and sophisticated. There is something to be said about her always having greatly constructed music cuts and choreography highlighting her strongest features: body movement, musicality, flow. And she somehow looks more mature than before in both SP and Tango medley FS - mature, not old which unfortunately is the word I would use to describe Alina's SP. As usual, love placement of spins and her step sequences, truly work of art, captivating audience.

Danny T

Medalist
Well the music is "While my guitar gently weeps" so I don't think the choreo is weird for a song that's hard rock/blues.

Is it classified as hard rock? It sure doesn't sound like hard rock to me. It sounds more blues, while Boyang looks like he's jamming choreo to hard rock - the whole thing's very incongruous. I low-key dissociated during it lol

icybear

Medalist
Is it classified as hard rock? It sure doesn't sound like hard rock to me. It sounds more blues, while Boyang looks like he's jamming choreo to hard rock - the whole thing's very incongruous to me. I low-key dissociated during it lol

Well Wikipedia says it's both hard rock and blues so I guess Lori Nicol must have gone for only one of the two genre

Layback11

Record Breaker
Zagitova's SP full video (The Ice) https://youtu.be/GsZDzNiAoH0

To put it simply: mixed feelings.
On the positive side, I really like the footwork, and some of the cuts - esp. the abrupt cut to Music of the Night with the 3F - are effective. It’s got some nice moments (like the Ina Bauer), and I love her packaging. Lovely dress, and whoa, she looks five years older! :eek: But as many others have already pointed out, choppy and all-too-frequent cuts make it look just a tad incoherent. Some of them work, as I said before, but the frequency of the cuts makes it harder to get invested as just as you’re starting to get into one piece, the next begins. I doubt they’ll change it, but it comes off as messy. It has potential choreography-wise, and Alina can definitely deliver it, but musically and conceptually it seems a bit of a mess.