Andrei Mozalev | Page 67 | Golden Skate

Andrei Mozalev

Mariott

Now the flower is making its way through concrete
Record Breaker
Country
Russia
Today's master class. Andrei listens to advice from famous choreographer Ulyana Smoleninova

After the show number on Russian Challenge many dancers paid attention to Andrei. I would like to see new collaborations.

Last edited:

Mariott

Record Breaker
Country
Russia
Short video from the master class by TeamMozalev

Mariott

Record Breaker
Country
Russia
It's a bit of a shame that the SP premiere was separate from the FS premiere, as they are related in many ways. Of course, Andrei needed to use the opportunity to test the program in conditions close to competition. At this time of year and in this form he wouldn't have been able to properly represent both programs. Thanks for showing fans an intriguing short program. But I am still waiting for the fall and the premiere of the two programs, it will be a completely different impression, in the context of FS SP will be perceived differently.

Both programs are very beautiful and demanding. The choreographers have not lowered the bar for a 4 season in a row.

Last edited:

Mariott

Record Breaker
Country
Russia
Andrei's new program was only presented in draft form. Nevertheless, it already has fans.
We have a few fan edits to Andrei's SP video here. The most popular is the moment of the return of the infinite spread eagle.

" I'm waiting for that masterpiece during the competition!" - writes the author of the video.

Mariott

Record Breaker
Country
Russia
Andrei and Olga "Lyolya" Romanova - leader of the fan club Team Mozalev, Andrei's PR manager, aspiring amateur figure skater 🫶

Mariott

Record Breaker
Country
Russia
Hello to all mozalebots and everyone who is following this thread!
When we are waiting for news about Andrei's programs for the season 2023-2024, it's probably a good time to make a rating of Andrei's programs for the last season (2022-2023).
Last season Andrei performed 2 competition programs, 5 solo show numbers, so I have enough material for a small review. If we talk about the criteria I have chosen, they are originality of idea, musical and choreographic innovation, quality of realization of the idea on ice (including acting skills) and interest of the audience (this is also very important). We will start today, open a new position every day, and finish in just over a week.

Out of the rankings
#7 #5-6 #5-6 #4 🥉 #3 🥈#2 🥇🪬#1

Last edited:

Mariott

Record Breaker
Country
Russia
Out of the rankings.
Group number "Leningradtsy" (residents of Leningrad)

1780888657.jpg

In group show numbers is always difficult to evaluate an individual participant. Attention is not focused on a particular participant most of the time, and we cannot fully evaluate his/her performance, involvement, image disclosure and so on. For these reasons, I will not include this number in the rating, but I will note it because it showed Andrei from a new side. There is no particularly original idea here (except for an old car from the movie studio driving out onto the ice), no complicated choreography. There is a very serious and pathos-filled song here, which requires an appropriate presentation of the skaters. Andrei, who has never been given this kind of musical material, has done well as far as I can see. He was immersed in the story, he interacted with the audience.

Perhaps Andrei's personal feelings about the history of the siege of Leningrad helped him in presentation. The Siege of Leningrad is part of our history, part of our memory, painful memories. It is part of Andrei Mozalev's family history and part of his personal history.

Last edited:

Mariott

Record Breaker
Country
Russia
A bit of fanart from fans and neural networks.
"Andrei Mozalev - aesthetics on ice"

Last edited:

Mariott

Record Breaker
Country
Russia
Yet another beautiful video from a fan.

I miss this magic on the ice. Looking forward to the fall!

Mariott

Record Breaker
Country
Russia
"Besties" Andrei Mozalev and Alexander Galliamov's strong friendship is the subject of many fan videos.
"If my friendship is not going to be like this, what's it for at all?" - fans ask.

Mariott

Record Breaker
Country
Russia
Andrei is having photos taken with young figure skaters.
I haven't seen him so happy in a long time

KG38u-Nuio0.jpg

Mariott

Record Breaker
Country
Russia
These are Andrei Mozalev's top 7 programs from last season, here we go! We're starting in 7th position, and it's...

#7 Show number "Gde ty?" ("Where are you?")

Performed on the Tutberidze show.
Music:
Tri dnya dozdya (Three days grace of rain) - "Gde ty?" ("Where are you?")
Image: a desperate stalker in love.

First I want to say that I liked this number. If we talk about new approaches, here for the first time there is modern music for young guys. Andrei has lost that ineradicable flavor of a midlife crisis here. However, he has had other programs this season where he plays a clearly young character.

That`s clearly, the music is chosen according to Andrei's taste. He likes it, he has this song on his "I'll cry to this while no one sees it" playlist. He wants to tell us this story in detail and deliver his vision. It is about the hopeless love of a young guy who turns into a stalker of the girl he loves. It has everything - despair, hope, obsession, fascination, concern, frenzy, anxiety.

Your favorite Three Days of Rain band song?
Andrei Mozalev: "Gde ty" (where are you)

You don't even know my name
But I'm behind you again
You've touched every living thing inside of me
And you walk home alone again (home)
Where did you want to hide?
Your footprints will not remain
Wait, honey, it's all over
The rains see me hunt

Where are you? I'm running after you
Bursting with a dream
Dissolving into the night
Don't be silent (don't be silent)
Together we will not meet the dawns
Two ways two planets
Far away you are carried away, you
Where are you?

I would make a body out of your scent
I'd tear the doors off their hinges to make you cry
I'd sell my soul, then take it back
So that you love me inadequate

Where are you? I'm running after you
Bursting with a dream
Dissolving into the night
Don't be silent (don't be silent)
Together we will not meet the dawns
Two ways two planets
Far away you are carried away, you
Where are you?

The hero has a touching anxiety about how things are going for the girl he loves who has disappeared from his life. At first he is in deep apathy, then he begins to feel anxious, the desire to see the object of his love drives him to near madness. But at the same time (and here is a difference from the main message of the song) the maniac in Mozaliev's representation is very kind, his aggression is directed not outwards, but inwards, at himself. He is frantic, finding no place for himself, and finally decides to dial the cherished number just to hear his favorite voice and find out that everything is all right - but she`s phone is unavailable, no contact.

Andrei performed this number with great enthusiasm, he literally looks obsessed. I saw a live performance of this number and I had a feeling that Andrei would tear down some of the boards, so frantically he skated. I don't think the video conveys that.

Why only 7th place, the end of the table? There is definitely something new here - not the idea, but the way of presentation. This is a new material, revealing Andrei from an unfamiliar side. It's new music, and it resonated with young viewers. The number in general received positive feedback. However, I must point out the obvious: this program was done too quickly and hastily, there was no thought given to each movement, no gestures honed, as was the case for competition programs. They just took everything that Andrei knows how to do, quickly arranged the choreographic elements to coincide with the musical accents, and released him to the public with this number. Andrei, undoubtedly, tried very hard to present the number, but the program is rather "raw", and it is noticeable. There is no choreographic novelty here, except for a few gestures. Quite piquant looks Mozalev, drawing a female figure in the air with his hands, by the way - oh, that imaginary beautiful princess... or girl from a men's magazine...

Okay, I'm not going to say any more evil things about it. I like it despite the flaws described. Mozalev is so damn good and sincere.

Let's hope this showy number is improved, would love to see it in better quality.

Last edited:

Mariott

Record Breaker
Country
Russia
Andrei Mozalev's ranking of programs for the 2022-2023 season is here again! The positions in this ranking are a bit tentative, because I can't decide which of the two "military" programs for Averbukh's show should be higher. Let them share #5-6 positions. They have roughly the same advantages and disadvantages.

#5-6 Show number "Do svidaniya, mal`chiki!" ("Goodbye, Boys!").

Performed on the Averbukh show.
Music: Bulat Okudzhava - "Do svidaniya, mal`chiki!" ("Goodbye, Boys!").
Image: a civilian on the first day of the war

Here Andrei is a replacement worker. This number was intended for Matvey Vetlugin, but he was unable to participate in the St. Petersburg show, and the organizers invited Andrei Mozalev as a substitute. Andrei had very little time to prepare, but in fact, he only had to come out and fill the pause at the very beginning of the show.

Andrei received very clear instructions from the director. The show opens with a cheerful dance to the Soviet foxtrot, and then the fun of the carefree dancers is interrupted by the wail of a military siren. There is a moment of silence, realization of the disaster, people sorrowfully say goodbye, couples part - and everyone disperses, dividing into two groups. Some of them will get into the meat grinder of the war at the front, others left to suffer hardship and worry in the back. Only Andrei lingers for a minute to look at both columns, to feel sad and think about how life has suddenly changed and what awaits all these people. After that, the singer comes on stage - and the story of Andrei's experiences and reflections begins. He looks around and sees that the whole world is going to hell and life will never be the same again. I am incredibly moved by this movement at the beginning, he hugs himself as if he wants to reassure himself, protect himself, and at the same time it's like he's hugging everyone around him at once.

He admires the heroism of the recruits and at the same time timidly asks them to take care of themselves and try to return alive.

Bulat Okudzhava (Translated by Tanya Wolfson)

GOODBYE BOYS

Monster war, take a look at your handiwork:
In our courtyards the silence is keen.
Our young boys have grown serious suddenly.
All at once, much too soon, they are men.

We got barely a glimpse of the somber eyes
When as soldiers they left, one by one.
It's time for goodbye, my boys.
Boys, goodbye!
You must try, you must try to return.

Do not hide, do not crouch, remain proud and tall,
Spare no bullets and fight as you've sworn.
And do not spare yourselves, my boys,
But after all,

Monster war, are you pleased with your handiwork?
No more weddings - just loves laid to waste.
Our girls' bridal gowns have been handed down
To kid sisters who don't reach their waist.

Now it's army boots everywhere, all about,
And green wings of the new epaulets.
Nevermind about gossips, girls.
Have no doubt:
We will find time to deal with them yet.

Let them yap that it's merely a game you play,
Waging war without cause, out of turn.
It's time for goodbye, my girls.
Girls, goodbye!

This number turned out to be very deep and touching. Andrei's reflexivity is appropriate here as much as possible, it corresponds to the reflexivity of Okudzhava's music and lyrics. In fact, the whole story unfolds in his mind. Andrei also showed a new skill that he has rarely been able to show. He didn't just skate, he interacted with the singer, he managed to create a feeling that they are in contact, not just performing their work separately from each other. The result was a heartfelt duet between the singer and the skater.

Andrei has also perfectly learned how to interact with the audience, it's like he involves them in the conversation, addresses them.

Of course, this number will not rank high enough. There is no new idea and demanding choreography, but there is wonderful acting. This program received positive feedback:

"The best program on Ilya Averbukh's show "Favorite songs about the main thing". Fans' Choice

Scrolling through the news feed about figure skating, I found an interesting poling that once again made me revisit Ilya Averbukh's wonderful show "Favorite Songs about the main thing"...

In third place is Andrei Mozalev, who was even awarded the title of the most "okudzhavniy" skater. His number to "Goodbye Boys" made a strong impression and I consider it one of the best numbers in Ilya Averbukh's series of shows about the Great Patriotic War."

- The "Let's Talk About Figure Skating" blog

But when people talk about the 2022-2023 season, they usually think of other Andrei`s programs. Which programs? Keep an eye on the rankings, it will be over very quickly.

Last edited:

Mariott

Record Breaker
Country
Russia
Channel One is also having a period of summer off-season nostalgia and going through the archives. Today they posted a video of Andrei's free skating program from the first Channel One Cup. Who missed Psycho? (I missed it a bit 🫶).

Mariott

Record Breaker
Country
Russia
"Besties" Andrei Mozalev and Alexander Galliamov's strong friendship is the subject of many fan videos.
"If my friendship is not going to be like this, what's it for at all?" - fans ask.

I also like this one. Holy crap, I'm waiting for the edits to the music from My Little Pony and... Friendship is Magic!

Mariott

Record Breaker
Country
Russia
Andrei wishes Evgeny Semenenko a happy birthday and remembers their fun dances in Omsk :party2::party2:

Mariott

Record Breaker
Country
Russia
Good evening folks, it's the 2022-2023 season Mosalev program rankings again.
Let's find out who shared the 5th position with the previous participant. I think the answer lies on the surface.

#5-6 Show number "Staraya soldatskaya pesnya" (One old soldier's song).

Performed on the Averbukh show.
Music: Bulat Okudzhava - "Staraya soldatskaya pesnya" ("One old soldier's song").
Image: a soldier in a hopeless situation

This program was already performed on Averbukh's show last season and at that time it made a strong impression on the audience. This year the number was performed again at the January show in honor of the lifting of the siege of Leningrad. I must say that as an element of the show this number looked rather alien this time. This story is about the war, but it has very little to do with the life of the city besieged for years. However, the other numbers had much less connection with the history of Leningrad during the siege. It's basically a medley of songs about the war, wartime and post-war songs on other topics, and just favorite Soviet songs. However, this is not a complaint about Andrei's program; after all, we are considering it out of the context of the show's plot. This program has its own plot, and Andrei has spent a lot of effort to tell us that story. Moreover, the result was very good.

Averbukh has in recent years preferred to direct skaters' numbers to the music of Okudzhava. This coincides with his personal musical tastes and it's quite good. Okudzhava's poetry is part of our cultural code, it's fine, it's quite thorough and it evokes a positive reaction from the audience. However, not every skater can present this music and lyrics with deep content. In Andrei's case, all the necessary conditions coincided; he is ideally suited to perform numbers to such music. I tend to agree with the audience who consider Andrei to be an "okudzhaved" figure skater. I would even watch Mozalev's mini-show to a few, 5-6, Okudzhava songs, not only military themes. I think he resonates spiritually with this poet.

There have been some changes to the number this season. There was no live sound, Andrei performed to a recording of singer Elena Kamburova's voice. On the one hand, it blurred the impression, on the other hand, it allowed to focus on the skating and presentation of the athlete. Andrei's costume was changed, instead of a posthumous white shirt he wore a soldier's uniform. Again a double impression, in the past performance he looked like a pure and immaculate soul of a recruited child killed in battle, and in this version he looked more alive and real. However, if a soldier's soul is marching on foot even after death, why shouldn't it be posthumously dressed in a military uniform?

Okudzhava planned it as a cheerful marching song, easy to march and sing, planned this song and at the same time very scary in its meaning, because the soldiers singing it do not care whether they are alive or dead. Everything in the world is transient, new soldiers will be born and die again, leaving burnt hopes and unfinished business. In Kamburova's lyrical version, singing this song in a tragic manner, with maternal tenderness, it sounds simply terrifying, with goosebumps running down your skin from the deep shock.

The songs of our regiment are over,
The tinkling hoofs have ceased.
Bullets pierced the bottom of the pot,
The young vivandiere was murdered.

Little we have left - we and our pain.
Us - a bit of enemies for a little bit.
We live, as long as, frontline rabble,
And when we die, we'll get a road in Heaven.

Hands on the bolt, head in anguish,
And the soul has soared like,
Why do we write blood on the sand?
Nature doesn't need our letters.

By the mass grave there are sad posts.
Eternal apartments in the forest.
They feel no more pain and their hearts are pure.
And their eyes open childishly.
They feel no more pain and their hearts are pure.
And their eyes open childishly.

Sleep tight, brothers, that`s all will return again:
New commanders born,
New soldiers will receive
"Eternal state apartments".

Sleep tight, brothers, that`s all will return again,
Everything must be repeated in nature,
And words, and bullets, and love, and blood,
There won't be time to make up.

Andrei plays his role very convincingly, immersing himself in the image. He demonstrates all his acting skills, helps himself with pantomime as much as possible - picks up an invisible rifle from the ice, catches bullets with his hands and so on. His facial expression is unparalleled (unfortunately, this time we didn't get a close-up of his face when he falls to his knees in the final scene). Undoubtedly, the number makes an impression. Yes, it doesn't have the latest choreography and original idea (although the idea to set the number to this song is quite bold and new). However, this number was memorable. Therefore, it may well qualify for the 5th or 6th position of the rating, depending on whether you prefer it to the previous candidate or not. I look forward to seeing this program repeated on Averbukh's themed shows next season.

Tomorrow we will find out who came close to the top three. Come back next night to make sure you don't miss anything!

Last edited:

Mariott

Record Breaker
Country
Russia
Andrei-Kennet "Skater" Mozalev

Mariott

Record Breaker
Country
Russia
This is Andrei Mozalev's top 7 programs from last season! Which one took 4th place, just a step away from the podium? Let's find out!

#4 Show number "Heart cry"

VPH08773.jpg

Performed at the Tutberidze show.
Music: "Heart cry" by Drehz.
Image: Melancholic with a broken heart.

Once again we have the theme of love and breakup. This program is well known to all fans of Mozalev. It has an interesting history. It was born as a exhibitions number, which was first shown at the Denis Ten Memorial in 2021:

The audience received the number with delight, and soon the number was remade into a short program, because Andrei really needed a new short program. For this purpose, almost the whole choreography had to be changed, but the result justified itself. The incredibly stylish and sensual program "Heart's Cry" was perfectly performed at the European Championships. This program became an Olympic program.

After the Olympic season was over, this program wasn’t presented again until April, when Andrei was invited to Tutberidze's show. There, some athletes, participants of the Olympics, performed their Olympic programs - and Andrei was offered to do the same. I must admit that Tutberidze has excellent taste: this stylish number looked like a decoration of the show, especially in contrast to Adelia Petrosyan's fiery number before it. They looked like fire and ice, and it was very beautiful.

Andrei didn't skate the Olympic program as we remember it: the choreography had been redesigned once again, leaving room for only one quad and one hop - the standard for modern exhibitions. The vacated space was filled with new choreographic elements. Now it is again a demonstration number, and unlike the other demonstration number from the 7th position of this rating, it has a very polished, well thought-out choreography. It doesn't look as nature and lively as the first version from 2021, there are no falls on the ice after the shot sounds and push-ups off the ice, but there is very clear, well thought out, beautiful choreography here.

This program seems to have successfully turned into a show number. They succeeded with "Juno and Avos", but they failed to turn "De Sade" into a show number. "Heart's Cry" has successfully undergone the transformation and will be a good show number, which Andrei will probably still perform. It's very good, there's beautiful choreography and it fully deserves 4th place. He would be in the top 3 if there weren't more deserving candidates.

photo-2023-04-14-18-27-31.jpg

We are very close to the top three - and I warn you, we are in for some surprises! Number 3 and number 2, I'm sure you'll be surprised because you were expecting a different arrangement. Keep an eye on the rankings, it will be finished soon.

Last edited: